Elizabeth Weir/Torri Higginson WOW Thread - Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ancient 1
    A degree in Political Science does not make one a scientist. I'm not sure if she should be in charge.
    Just food for thought here.

The Atlantis Expedition is under the umbrella of the Antartic Treaty System (ATS), which is one of the more tenious international treaty systems because it sets aside the verious territorial claims to the continent (I'm not looking it up right now, but as I recall, there are at LEAST six such claims, many of which overlap). It was formed in the 1950s with the express purpose of making sure that the last wild place on earth that had not seen bloodshed or war could be used for the good of the entire planet. One of the most important and dearly held parts of the ATS is that it is not to be used for a military purpose. Essentially military troops are only allowed as support personnel to scientific expeditions (essentially running logistics).

The discovery of the Ancient Outpost (and particularly the weapons in it) would be a nightmare to deal with within both the implications of the treaty system itself (which contains some forty or fifty countries between the full members and the associate members), and with those countries that STILL have territorial claims. They don't give us a map location for the Ancient outpost, but what do you think would happen if it happened to be in that part that is claimed by the UK, Argentina, and Chile?

A biologist, or physicist, or other scientist, no matter how qualified within their own field does NOT have the training to deal with all of the governments involved. Nor were they likely acceptable to all the governments involved.

My guess is, that like chosing O'Neill for the SGC because he was the one American no one could object to, Weir was similarly chosen by the president as one of what was probably a limited number of candidates acceptable to the 20+ countries contributing to the Atlantis expedition.

Comment

At first I ignored this thread because I disagreed with the general message that it conveyed. However, I now feel that she's loosened up. She's not so bad now .

Comment

I think her character in Atlantis is probably the ****test one there. I extremely hate her and can't wait for her to die. I'll tell you now, that would be my favourite episode! For those of you out there wondering why i hate her, it's simple. SHE DOES NOTHING! She barks orders all the time but the orders she barks are really just common sense and she takes credit for all the good ideas that others have. Mckay should be the leader i belive, or the scottish dude. If i was on Atalantis i would have shot her by now, or at least offered her as a sacrifice to the Raithe!

However i haven't seen this new Weir..... But i do know the one from the early Atlantis episodes are crap.
        What we do in life, echoes in eternity
        - Maximus Decimus Meridas

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel
          I think her character in Atlantis is probably the ****test one there. I extremely hate her and can't wait for her to die. I'll tell you now, that would be my favourite episode! For those of you out there wondering why i hate her, it's simple. SHE DOES NOTHING! She barks orders all the time but the orders she barks are really just common sense and she takes credit for all the good ideas that others have. Mckay should be the leader i belive, or the scottish dude. If i was on Atalantis i would have shot her by now, or at least offered her as a sacrifice to the Raithe!

However i haven't seen this new Weir..... But i do know the one from the early Atlantis episodes are crap.
          Wow! I got some "red" just for suggesting Weir needed to get hair-care tips from the wraith!

You'll have to let me know if someone hits you for your negative views on a "Weir Rocks" thread.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

You need to lighten up and get some more fibre in your diet. If you get so riled up over tv characters, you'll die of a massive stroke. Dr. Weir has a doctorate in law, has done high-level government negotiations for years, and practiced law. She has leadership and negotiation skills. Dr. McKay is a scientist, not a leader. Beckett is a physician, not a leader. Major Sheppard is an air force officer, and would make a good leader, but The President of the United States and Stargate Command put Dr. Weir in charge of Atlantis, so she's there and won't likely go away.

She takes some getting used to, but your reaction is irrational and too angry.

Comment

You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but I have to wonder about investing so much energy in being angry over it. *shrug*

I just wouldn't count on the character dying anytime soon.

Comment

Whoa- lighten up a bit! As much as I hate to say this, it's just a television show and a pretty new one at that! She doesn't just "do nothing" she's meant to be the leader there- not to go through the gate, not to explore she's supposed to make decisions about where to go/ what to do and stuff like that, which frankly would be a pretty boring first few minutes of the show. And she's still getting used to this whole thing.

In my opinion, McKay would not make a good leader he's the "science guy" and would probably be concerned with himself. But that's just my opinion and don't get me wrong I love McKay.

And I don't really remember her taking any credit for ideas that others had- could you point out a few times?
                Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by 2BAM
                  I'd like to see Weir get out as well, I think she deserves a holiday.
                  As long as it's a working holiday!

Comment

whoa. deep breaths. Weir is still developing as a character and doesn't have as much screen time, so we cant see all the things the is doing while she is not on screen. I admit sometimes I dont agree with her, but she does controll Atlantis and is doing a pretty good job considering how huge the job is. She is still uneasy of her job. She does look out for the safety of her people and atlantis, and also also found food and help find allies. Ordering people around is her job. As for killing her, isn't that a little overboard?

Comment

I think the actress is great and professionnally superior to the rest of the crew. But the part that is written for her is just pathetic.

She was great in episodes 1 and 2, in which her character made some sense. But after that it becomes a bore, with almost the same scene every episode:

- Sheppard, you're exaggerating !
                      - Yes Ma'am, but we can't do otherwise
                      - Well, ok then, you can resume action

You almost expect the others to say: "Why the h... do we have to stop urgent action to report to that lady who never brings better solutions than those we already thought of, who doesn't understand the situation better than us, and who doesn't even cook for us on Atlantis, or does any verifiable job? What a waste of time!"

You almost expect Weir to say: "You can go back to the stargate now, oh and, errr... sorry for interrupting you in a strategic moment while you were saving our lives... I'll guess I'll find a book to read or something, and wait till you're back."

I think you can tell that the actress is embarassed and feels her character is useless. It shows in her way of acting, that she is a bit bored. She is too intelligent not to notice that. Therefore it is likely that such a good actress will not stay in the show, imho.
                      No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
                      I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
                      Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Furling God
                        I think you can tell that the actress is embarassed and feels her character is useless. It shows in her way of acting, that she is a bit bored. She is too intelligent not to notice that. Therefore it is likely that such a good actress will not stay in the show, imho.
                        This is a spin-off of a popular sci-fi series. It promises some degree of job security for the main actors. I doubt she'll leave. There's a chance she'll confront the writers and get them to make a few changes. Then again, she might just write an episode or two, herself. Some of Teal'c's best moments in SG-1 were in episodes written by Chris Judge.
                        It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

Originally posted by JQuinn
                          This is a spin-off of a popular sci-fi series. It promises some degree of job security for the main actors. I doubt she'll leave. There's a chance she'll confront the writers and get them to make a few changes. Then again, she might just write an episode or two, herself. Some of Teal'c's best moments in SG-1 were in episodes written by Chris Judge.
                          Get her off the base! Get her off the base!

Making decisons at one step removed is not a good thing to do, dramatically.

And it SHOULD make her frustrated at being insulated from the action...which IS a good thing dramatically.

There's a solution here, folks, if they're willing to pick up on it...

Comment

Weir #1 was too similar to Amanda Tapping. I think TPTB realized that after "Lost City".

Weir #2 looks more the part and I think she will do just fine. . . if the writers ever flesh out her character properly. Hoping she'll start eating nice big breakfasts. She is a bit too thin for me!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by NightGloom
                              Whoa- lighten up a bit! As much as I hate to say this, it's just a television show and a pretty new one at that! She doesn't just "do nothing" she's meant to be the leader there- not to go through the gate, not to explore she's supposed to make decisions about where to go/ what to do and stuff like that, which frankly would be a pretty boring first few minutes of the show. And she's still getting used to this whole thing.

In my opinion, McKay would not make a good leader he's the "science guy" and would probably be concerned with himself. But that's just my opinion and don't get me wrong I love McKay.

And I don't really remember her taking any credit for ideas that others had- could you point out a few times?
                              Just a TV show, eh? You're part of the 'conspiracy,' aren't you?....over there in your own little world tossing out all that disinformation. (JK)

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                                Weir #1 was too similar to Amanda Tapping. I think TPTB realized that after "Lost City".
                                All it would have taken would be for JS to wear a brunette wig, and to explain it, "There won't be peroxide over there, so I thought I'd go natural sooner rather than later"

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                                X