Page 3 of 751 FirstFirst 1234561353103503 ... LastLast

Default Re: Weir Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Major Fischer
    No, it's not combat tactics, but it's also not chopped liver. I've been trying to point out that people are selling the character short on her potential experiance.

I think because when people think about diplomats they think about people in expensive suits who go around in limos.

The simple fact of the matter is that US Embassy and State Department personel are threaten, get shot at (not to mention get shot) on a not infrequent basis.

Just because she isn't a soldier doesn't mean she'd be a danger on a mission. Anymore than, say, Daniel was on early missions.
    True on all grounds, thanks for pointing that out.

So she might be more experienced (which is something I hope to find out soon), but what did she do in the Lost City I? Run around in an expensive limo (Kinsey's limo I believe it was), and UN always makes me think of those big rooms with lot of big wig's who disagree all day and go home to a meal made by the maid.
    Channara

-"How come I never get to kiss anybody?"
    -"Well, it's a... there's being episode written for you ...soon. Very soon."
    -"Sure."

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Channara
    ... and UN always makes me think of those big rooms with lot of big wig's who disagree all day and go home to a meal made by the maid.
    Amazon Book Link is a really good read about what being a low level UN worker is like. It's written by three people who spent time in Cambodia, Somalia, Liberia, and Kosavo. Ignore the reviews, it's not really a pro-UN or anti-UN book in my mind and I think half the people who rated it on Amazon never read it. It was the authors trying to get their bosses attention though, it apparently has annoyed not a few people in New York

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung
    Writing wise, Weir's character is hurt because she's been tied to the base.

Internally, she's been tabbed as leader because this was conceived as a scientific/diplomatic situation. However, she's been screwed as she now leads the most technologically advanced race next to the Wraiths...who are her enemies. It's now a military situation, which doesn't play to her strengths.
    A degree in Political Science does not make one a scientist. I'm not sure if she should be in charge. She needs to get out in the field and negotiate these deals that clearly Sheppard and Tayla have almost no skill. I suppose she could still be "leader" but the bottom line is that she needs to get out more.

Stargate Stunt/Fighting Coordinator 2BAM's Avatar

I'd like to see Weir get out as well, I think she deserves a holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient 1
    A degree in Political Science does not make one a scientist. I'm not sure if she should be in charge.
    Actually, I think she has to be; the gate to Pegasus is in Antarctica, which is covered by treaties up the yingyang. She's in charge of the expedition because she has to be, according to treaty; certainly a military person can't be put in charge, because other nations wouldn't allow it. She's a compromise candidate who DOES have an advantage in that she's worked in SGC before.

She needs to get out in the field and negotiate these deals that clearly Sheppard and Tayla have almost no skill. I suppose she could still be "leader" but the bottom line is that she needs to get out more.
    Yeah, I gotta agree with that. Like I said before, being tied to the base is really hurting her character and misuses her strengths.

Hm. Wonder if there's an upcoming plot line that addresses that...

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient 1
    A degree in Political Science does not make one a scientist. I'm not sure if she should be in charge.
    Just food for thought here.

The Atlantis Expedition is under the umbrella of the Antartic Treaty System (ATS), which is one of the more tenious international treaty systems because it sets aside the verious territorial claims to the continent (I'm not looking it up right now, but as I recall, there are at LEAST six such claims, many of which overlap). It was formed in the 1950s with the express purpose of making sure that the last wild place on earth that had not seen bloodshed or war could be used for the good of the entire planet. One of the most important and dearly held parts of the ATS is that it is not to be used for a military purpose. Essentially military troops are only allowed as support personnel to scientific expeditions (essentially running logistics).

The discovery of the Ancient Outpost (and particularly the weapons in it) would be a nightmare to deal with within both the implications of the treaty system itself (which contains some forty or fifty countries between the full members and the associate members), and with those countries that STILL have territorial claims. They don't give us a map location for the Ancient outpost, but what do you think would happen if it happened to be in that part that is claimed by the UK, Argentina, and Chile?

A biologist, or physicist, or other scientist, no matter how qualified within their own field does NOT have the training to deal with all of the governments involved. Nor were they likely acceptable to all the governments involved.

My guess is, that like chosing O'Neill for the SGC because he was the one American no one could object to, Weir was similarly chosen by the president as one of what was probably a limited number of candidates acceptable to the 20+ countries contributing to the Atlantis expedition.

At first I ignored this thread because I disagreed with the general message that it conveyed. However, I now feel that she's loosened up. She's not so bad now .

I think her character in Atlantis is probably the ****test one there. I extremely hate her and can't wait for her to die. I'll tell you now, that would be my favourite episode! For those of you out there wondering why i hate her, it's simple. SHE DOES NOTHING! She barks orders all the time but the orders she barks are really just common sense and she takes credit for all the good ideas that others have. Mckay should be the leader i belive, or the scottish dude. If i was on Atalantis i would have shot her by now, or at least offered her as a sacrifice to the Raithe!

However i haven't seen this new Weir..... But i do know the one from the early Atlantis episodes are crap.
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
    - Maximus Decimus Meridas

Heartbroken Re: Weir Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    I think her character in Atlantis is probably the ****test one there. I extremely hate her and can't wait for her to die. I'll tell you now, that would be my favourite episode! For those of you out there wondering why i hate her, it's simple. SHE DOES NOTHING! She barks orders all the time but the orders she barks are really just common sense and she takes credit for all the good ideas that others have. Mckay should be the leader i belive, or the scottish dude. If i was on Atalantis i would have shot her by now, or at least offered her as a sacrifice to the Raithe!

However i haven't seen this new Weir..... But i do know the one from the early Atlantis episodes are crap.
    Wow! I got some "red" just for suggesting Weir needed to get hair-care tips from the wraith!

You'll have to let me know if someone hits you for your negative views on a "Weir Rocks" thread.

Captain

You need to lighten up and get some more fibre in your diet. If you get so riled up over tv characters, you'll die of a massive stroke. Dr. Weir has a doctorate in law, has done high-level government negotiations for years, and practiced law. She has leadership and negotiation skills. Dr. McKay is a scientist, not a leader. Beckett is a physician, not a leader. Major Sheppard is an air force officer, and would make a good leader, but The President of the United States and Stargate Command put Dr. Weir in charge of Atlantis, so she's there and won't likely go away.

She takes some getting used to, but your reaction is irrational and too angry.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but I have to wonder about investing so much energy in being angry over it. *shrug*

I just wouldn't count on the character dying anytime soon.

Whoa- lighten up a bit! As much as I hate to say this, it's just a television show and a pretty new one at that! She doesn't just "do nothing" she's meant to be the leader there- not to go through the gate, not to explore she's supposed to make decisions about where to go/ what to do and stuff like that, which frankly would be a pretty boring first few minutes of the show. And she's still getting used to this whole thing.

In my opinion, McKay would not make a good leader he's the "science guy" and would probably be concerned with himself. But that's just my opinion and don't get me wrong I love McKay.

And I don't really remember her taking any credit for ideas that others had- could you point out a few times?
    Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
    RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Quote Originally Posted by 2BAM
    I'd like to see Weir get out as well, I think she deserves a holiday.
    As long as it's a working holiday!

whoa. deep breaths. Weir is still developing as a character and doesn't have as much screen time, so we cant see all the things the is doing while she is not on screen. I admit sometimes I dont agree with her, but she does controll Atlantis and is doing a pretty good job considering how huge the job is. She is still uneasy of her job. She does look out for the safety of her people and atlantis, and also also found food and help find allies. Ordering people around is her job. As for killing her, isn't that a little overboard?

I think the actress is great and professionnally superior to the rest of the crew. But the part that is written for her is just pathetic.

She was great in episodes 1 and 2, in which her character made some sense. But after that it becomes a bore, with almost the same scene every episode:

- Sheppard, you're exaggerating !
    - Yes Ma'am, but we can't do otherwise
    - Well, ok then, you can resume action

You almost expect the others to say: "Why the h... do we have to stop urgent action to report to that lady who never brings better solutions than those we already thought of, who doesn't understand the situation better than us, and who doesn't even cook for us on Atlantis, or does any verifiable job? What a waste of time!"

You almost expect Weir to say: "You can go back to the stargate now, oh and, errr... sorry for interrupting you in a strategic moment while you were saving our lives... I'll guess I'll find a book to read or something, and wait till you're back."

I think you can tell that the actress is embarassed and feels her character is useless. It shows in her way of acting, that she is a bit bored. She is too intelligent not to notice that. Therefore it is likely that such a good actress will not stay in the show, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Furling God
    I think you can tell that the actress is embarassed and feels her character is useless. It shows in her way of acting, that she is a bit bored. She is too intelligent not to notice that. Therefore it is likely that such a good actress will not stay in the show, imho.
    This is a spin-off of a popular sci-fi series. It promises some degree of job security for the main actors. I doubt she'll leave. There's a chance she'll confront the writers and get them to make a few changes. Then again, she might just write an episode or two, herself. Some of Teal'c's best moments in SG-1 were in episodes written by Chris Judge.
    It's a Fargate! It's different.

Quote Originally Posted by JQuinn
    This is a spin-off of a popular sci-fi series. It promises some degree of job security for the main actors. I doubt she'll leave. There's a chance she'll confront the writers and get them to make a few changes. Then again, she might just write an episode or two, herself. Some of Teal'c's best moments in SG-1 were in episodes written by Chris Judge.
    Get her off the base! Get her off the base!

Making decisons at one step removed is not a good thing to do, dramatically.

And it SHOULD make her frustrated at being insulated from the action...which IS a good thing dramatically.

There's a solution here, folks, if they're willing to pick up on it...

Don't know as I'm shrill and ill-informed

Wink Re: Weir Rocks!

Weir #1 was too similar to Amanda Tapping. I think TPTB realized that after "Lost City".

Weir #2 looks more the part and I think she will do just fine. . . if the writers ever flesh out her character properly. Hoping she'll start eating nice big breakfasts. She is a bit too thin for me!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/joesmom1/Kitty.bmp

When all else fails, change channels.

Quote Originally Posted by NightGloom
    Whoa- lighten up a bit! As much as I hate to say this, it's just a television show and a pretty new one at that! She doesn't just "do nothing" she's meant to be the leader there- not to go through the gate, not to explore she's supposed to make decisions about where to go/ what to do and stuff like that, which frankly would be a pretty boring first few minutes of the show. And she's still getting used to this whole thing.

In my opinion, McKay would not make a good leader he's the "science guy" and would probably be concerned with himself. But that's just my opinion and don't get me wrong I love McKay.

And I don't really remember her taking any credit for ideas that others had- could you point out a few times?
    Just a TV show, eh? You're part of the 'conspiracy,' aren't you?....over there in your own little world tossing out all that disinformation. (JK)

Quote Originally Posted by FoolishPleasure
    Weir #1 was too similar to Amanda Tapping. I think TPTB realized that after "Lost City".
    All it would have taken would be for JS to wear a brunette wig, and to explain it, "There won't be peroxide over there, so I thought I'd go natural sooner rather than later"

Madeleine