Page 2 of 751 FirstFirst 123451252102502 ... LastLast

Default Re: Weir Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis
    Amanda Tapping is 38? Damn, she's not that much younger than my mom, who is 42. She looks really good for her age. I still like the new Dr. Weir better. I love intelligent, powerful women...it's a turn on hehe. I also like older women, but I just didn't care for the blonde Weir as much.
    thats show business for you.
    Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
    Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
    Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
    Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

Cool Re: Weir Rocks!

LordAnubis: Earth 2

Yes, I remember the show, and that she was there as a government agent. I liked the show for the most part. I didn't like that little boy who was to be their 'saviour,' but I did enjoy Tim Curry's role as convict on one-time penal colony/planet. Will check out thread. *winks*

Back to topic...

The new Weir needs to get some hair care tips from the wraith!
    Last edited by Ancient 1; August 26th, 2004 at 06:06 PM. Reason: relevance

Gee, thanks for the "red." Atleast I liked one out of two of the Drs. Weir!

So you can just:

Earth Symbol Re: Weir Rocks!

Don't mind her so much anymore...just don't like when they switch actors on you. Have to "re adjust". Anyhow, do you think she will end up falling into a "Hammond" type role where she is important but not really in an active part of most episodes and the team takes all the action?

Quote Originally Posted by AmyE
    Don't mind her so much anymore...just don't like when they switch actors on you. Have to "re adjust". Anyhow, do you think she will end up falling into a "Hammond" type role where she is important but not really in an active part of most episodes and the team takes all the action?
    I sure hope she goes out and gets her hands dirty once in awhile. It can add to her perspective of what's going on out there, and she can stop making ignorant comments about the wraith and the Geneva Convention. She needs to be more than a figurehead.

Quoting first post:

Quote Originally Posted by 2BAM
    What you said, 2BAM
    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient 1
    I sure hope she goes out and gets her hands dirty once in awhile. It can add to her perspective of what's going on out there, and she can stop making ignorant comments about the wraith and the Geneva Convention. She needs to be more than a figurehead.
    Well, even after "Underground" still a figurehead; still bad hair. Sorry, but it's true.

Why do they even need Weir (the character not the actress)? I was watching "Underground" today, and all she does is reiterate the situation back to Shepperd. I agree, still just a figurehead. What a waste of screen time. I miss the witty and bold Weir in "New Order".
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/cyc/nub.jpg
    "ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Staff Sergeant

I have nothing against the actress.

I'm still giving the character time. She seems a good administrator. Sometimes she's wearing some questionable wardrobe item or dealing with a situation in an off-putting way.

I don't know why the character is a lead, second in the credits. So far she's Hammondesque - important in the world of the show, but not on the show. There is a kissing scene in the generic promo for the show, so perhaps a definitive Weir-centric episode is coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by 220683
    Why do they even need Weir (the character not the actress)? I was watching "Underground" today, and all she does is reiterate the situation back to Shepperd. I agree, still just a figurehead. What a waste of screen time. I miss the witty and bold Weir in "New Order".
    I would guess the reason for her character is to put a non-military face on things. Even here in the Pegasus galaxy, someone,(I'm guessing Hayes), doesn't want our presence to look like a military incursion. We/humans and left wingers have manged to carry our political correctness to a whole new galaxy!

Writing wise, Weir's character is hurt because she's been tied to the base.

Internally, she's been tabbed as leader because this was conceived as a scientific/diplomatic situation. However, she's been screwed as she now leads the most technologically advanced race next to the Wraiths...who are her enemies. It's now a military situation, which doesn't play to her strengths.

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung
    Writing wise, Weir's character is hurt because she's been tied to the base.

Internally, she's been tabbed as leader because this was conceived as a scientific/diplomatic situation. However, she's been screwed as she now leads the most technologically advanced race next to the Wraiths...who are her enemies. It's now a military situation, which doesn't play to her strengths.
    Which allows much more room for her to grow as a character than, say Hammond--who I love, please don't read this as competition between them on my part--who though he grew during the series did not have a lot of room to grow.

I don't think they've written her well though some of the early episodes, but SG1 wasn't writing Hammond very well during some of the early epsiodes of that series either. I think it takes about ten episodes for the writers to get the majority of the characters pinned down in their minds.

She's certainly loosening up a bit, I really enjoyed her obvious sarcasm in Underground.
    Spoiler:
    "I did send you out for food?" and "I usually stop short of offering nuclear weapons..."
    I think that if they are smart they can use that episode's experiances as an excuse for letting her be less tied to Atlantis.

Which of course is silly for realism in terms of the leader leaving the base, but hey, it's SciFi!

ANother thing that occurs to me...

Weir has the fate of Atlantis on her shoulders. That's pretty clear. But she ALSO has the fate of the Pegasus Galaxy on her shoulders, because the Atlantis team is the most techologically advanced faction who are opposed to the Wraith. ANNNNNNDDDD....ya gotta remember that they went on this mission to get some help for Earth in the war against the snakes, so she has the fate of Earth on her shoulders.

Hope she has a lot of ulcer medicine on hand.....

Lieutenant Colonel MartoufMarty's Avatar
    "Tell me what you don't like about yourself."

i didn't actually like Jessica Steen as Dr. Weir. i really like Torri Higginson as Dr. Weir. the title of the thread is right, Weir does ROCK!

she doesn't go off-world or anything, but she's the leader.

she just... rocks!

Lieutenant Colonel MartoufMarty's Avatar
    "Tell me what you don't like about yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung
    ANother thing that occurs to me...

Weir has the fate of Atlantis on her shoulders. That's pretty clear. But she ALSO has the fate of the Pegasus Galaxy on her shoulders, because the Atlantis team is the most techologically advanced faction who are opposed to the Wraith. ANNNNNNDDDD....ya gotta remember that they went on this mission to get some help for Earth in the war against the snakes, so she has the fate of Earth on her shoulders.

Hope she has a lot of ulcer medicine on hand.....
    PEPTO!

Throughout "Underground," you could tell she just wanted to smack John upside the head. He was making poor negotiative decisions, and it was driving her crazy. Afterall, that's why she was picked to lead the Atlantis mission. She's the negotiator, and they should've called on her to talk with the Jennai(sp?). Personally, I think she should assign a deputy-mayor to run Atlantis, while she goes on all diplomatic missions with John's team. It'd give her some action, and her character a lot more room to grow. Then I think a good portion of the Weir-haters would finally lighten up.

Then again, there are the Weir-haters who seem to hate Weir simply because she's being played by TH instead of JS. I think that if TH had played Dr. Weir in "Lost City," there'd be a lot less people bashing her.
    It's a Fargate! It's different.

Quote Originally Posted by JQuinn
    Then again, there are the Weir-haters who seem to hate Weir simply because she's being played by TH instead of JS. I think that if TH had played Dr. Weir in "Lost City," there'd be a lot less people bashing her.
    Bingo! People grow really attached to actors sometimes, and really there isn't much changing their mind.

I agree that Weir should really get out more, I don't want her stuck behind the desk having to do all the nasty decisions and have a bad hairday everyday

But there are some issues, as we know from the Lost City, Weir's a diplomat, she has no field nor combat experience and for her to go out for a walk would be a suicide, McKay has at least worked for the Air Force prior to this mission (well so has Weir, but strickly administratively). But I hope they come up with a solution.

Also, if the hair bothers you, send TPTB a postcard!
    Channara

-"How come I never get to kiss anybody?"
    -"Well, it's a... there's being episode written for you ...soon. Very soon."
    -"Sure."

Quote Originally Posted by MartoufMarty
    PEPTO!
    I was thinking Mylanta (sounds similar to Atlantis)

Quote Originally Posted by Channara
    But there are some issues, as we know from the Lost City, Weir's a diplomat, she has no field nor combat experience and for her to go out for a walk would be a suicide, McKay has at least worked for the Air Force prior to this mission (well so has Weir, but strickly administratively). But I hope they come up with a solution.
    She's an international negotiator, not a diplomat exactly. There is a fine point to that, but in general, 'diplomats' have to be nice, and 'negotiators' don't. We don't actually know much about her background, and I think there are any number of things that she could have been doing that are field related.

For instance: She could have worked for NATO in Kosavo or Bosnia. She could have worked for the UN force in Cambodia trying to put the country back on it's feet. She could have worked for US AID in any number of dangerous countries. Or she could have worked for an NGO in any number of dangerous countries. All of which would have required her to have smarts for safety on the ground and what is a bad sitatution.

No, it's not combat tactics, but it's also not chopped liver. I've been trying to point out that people are selling the character short on her potential experiance. I think because when people think about diplomats they think about people in expensive suits who go around in limos. The simple fact of the matter is that US Embassy and State Department personel are threaten, get shot at (not to mention get shot) on a not infrequent basis.

Just because she isn't a soldier doesn't mean she'd be a danger on a mission. Anymore than, say, Daniel was on early missions.