This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"1969" = Impossible

So I was just watching "1969" today and when Sam was talking about how Time Travel should be impossible or something I caught myself nodding my head and agreeing. Cause it shouldn't be right? If time travel was possible then wouldn't people from the future be visiting us today? So discuss people.

Im sure someone could elaborate on this...
    sigpic
    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Maybe they are and we dont know about it.
    Save SG-1! Sign the Petition!
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
      So I was just watching "1969" today and when Sam was talking about how Time Travel should be impossible or something I caught myself nodding my head and agreeing. Cause it shouldn't be right? If time travel was possible then wouldn't people from the future be visiting us today? So discuss people.

Im sure someone could elaborate on this...
      In some models of time-travel you can't travel to before the machine was invented.
      Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
      Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
      -Audioslave

Comment

i didnt really care because it was science fiction
        DAM YOU SCI FI.....DAM U TO SCI HELL arghhhh.....

Comment

Yeah, I forgot where I heard this but as far as I understand it, it would be possible to travel to the future but not the past. Ehhh, the whole thing confuses me.
          sigpic

Comment

I highly doubt that someone from the future would walk around saying, "Hi, I'm from the future." And even if they did, chances are, they would end up in a looney bin ASAP.
            sigpic

"Let's not be too quick to exclude the possibility that the woman might be, uh... what is the clinical term? Nuts?" -- Rodney McKay, PhD

What does Cat have to say today?

Comment

Ah but there is a time traveller among us, "leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next leap... will be the leap home."

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                Ah but there is a time traveller among us, "leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next leap... will be the leap home."
                Gah, that Sam Beckett needs to learn to respect peoples privacy.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                  Jesus?

Anyway, if certain aspects of quantum theory are true, time travel is very much possible. Well, it's not impossible. I mean, it wouldn't be as simple as taking a DeLorean to 88mph.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                    Well, it's not impossible. I mean, it wouldn't be as simple as taking a DeLorean to 88mph.
                    Don't even get me started on that movie.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PSp2gamer

1) It's SciFi, it doesn't have to be feasible, just imaginable.

2) The fact that there are no publicly known incidents of people from the future visiting doesn't mean it isn't possible. It could be that such technology gets invented in the future, but is outlawed, or that there has been time travel and we just don't know about it, or that it happened and the government(s) of the world kept it secret.

That said, I don't think it is possible, too many paradoxes that would just...I dunno it's fun to watch on TV I just don't think it's plausible in real life.
                      I do not believe you are well. You called me... "Lucy"

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
                        Don't even get me started on that movie.
                        That's one of the greatest movies.

Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by PSp2gamer
                          They are, I assure you. The apocalypse simply isn't a pleasant thing to live through...

Comment

The main problem with the show is that they've established two methods of time travel, which have both existed in two separated models, which contradict themselves.

In 1969, time travel works in such a way where you can't use time travel to alter time, because all the things you've done while in the past have already happened in the past. Hence, it works in a self-contained loop. Then in 2010, they talk about how Hammond showed them a means of time travel, and use that to alter the timeline. WTF?

In Good to Be King, the time device has been used to predict the future, where SG1 defeats the Goa'uld. But the only reason SG-1 can defeat the Goa'uld is by using the time device. Then in Moebius, they use the time machine to alter the timeline and steal a ZPM. Again, WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger82
                              The main problem with the show is that they've established two methods of time travel, which have both existed in two separated models, which contradict themselves.

In 1969, time travel works in such a way where you can't use time travel to alter time, because all the things you've done while in the past have already happened in the past. Hence, it works in a self-contained loop. Then in 2010, they talk about how Hammond showed them a means of time travel, and use that to alter the timeline. WTF?

In Good to Be King, the time device has been used to predict the future, where SG1 defeats the Goa'uld. But the only reason SG-1 can defeat the Goa'uld is by using the time device. Then in Moebius, they use the time machine to alter the timeline and steal a ZPM. Again, WTF?
                              Currently, we're watching an alternate, alternate timeline from that which started in Children of the Gods.

The first alteration occurred in "Before I Sleep."

The second alteration occurred in "Moebius."

I'll only comment on the Moebius alteration:

SG-1 goes back in time to get the ZPM. SG-1 gets the ZPM but is stranded in the past because the cloaked Jumper gets partially covered by sand in a sand storm. Jack wanted to kill Ra then and there, but Carter wouldn't let him. That's not important to my post, I just agreed with Jack that he wouldn't have to wait 5,000 years to do it anyway and thought that was funny.

Anyway, we then see an alternate timeline in which, because of SG-1's actions in the past, Ra takes the Stargate with him and it is never uncovered in 1928 (well, 1934 in their version of events). They then set about to "fix the past."

Now, the alternate SG-1 (minus the Goa'uld infected and killed by Teal'c Daniel, and the Kowalski whom the costume department finally put Oak Leaves on his BDU's instead of Captain's bars like they were in CotG man that kept pissing me off today when I was watching the re-run) travels back, conveniently, to five years after the original SG-1 had traveled where they find that the original SG-1, with the convenient exception of Daniel, had been executed by Ra. Apprently, in that alternate reality, I use a lot of commas and write really long sentences.

The alternate SG-1 is able to successfully lead the rebellion against Ra, and use the Time Jumper as a distraction to keep Ra from taking the Stargate. Sam has them destroy both Jumpers (the one from the beginning of the episode, and the one from her timeline). Everything went down the way it was supposed to.

The original SG-1 was supposed to get stranded the way they did, and the alternate SG-1 was supposed to go back in time and finish the job. And every Jack and Sam except "ours" end up makin' it. Or so it seems. At least this Sam didn't have long hair, although I think Carter looks just as hot with long hair as short. Alternate Rodney was right though, the librarian thing definitely works for her.

Now, every single thing is the way it's supposed to be (according to the tape), except for the fish in Jack's pond. But all of the possible variations you can think of would have that tape and that ZPM buried in the ground. So for all the realities where things went down the way they have for the SG-1 we've been watching, up to that point, the tape and ZPM would have been found. The Time Jumper would, and should still be sitting at Area 51.

Therefor, the SG-1 we started watching is dead 5,000 years.

Furthermore, we're watching a reality where there are and were fish in Jack's pond.

Comment

Working...
                              X