This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think the Asurans cand ascend??

Do you think the Asurans cand ascend 'cause after all they are machines...even tough they explained that thing about the similarity, the electrical impulses yoda yoda yoda...

the thing wich "they lack is soul"...or that doesn't matter?
    http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4...tributedc0.jpg

I am sure they can ascend.

Comment

Sure they can

Comment

I think that Asurans can ascend, but they would need to sever themselves from th subspace network in order to do so.

Ascension feels like a very personal thing to me.. you have to be good in order to get the help of the ancients to ascend. And doing it while linked to a network that could potentially change you doesnt' work. You'd need to actively be good.. on your own.

As for whether or not the Asurans can self-ascend.... I'm surprised they haven't. If they can mimic humans and are efficient... they can utilize 100% of their "brain power" (Ascended need 90% to reach ascension). AFter that, though... not sure how the replicators would ascend.

Comment

I think that they can, as I beleive it has to do with consiousness of being, not necessarily a soul...if they are different.

"Nu Ani Anquiatus."

Comment

Originally posted by stargate maniack
            Do you think the Asurans cand ascend 'cause after all they are machines...
            If they have a soul, they can. Isn't that the essence of the ascended being?

If one ascends, wouldn't they all? They could just pass on the knowledge via an update. Oh, never mind, once you're ascended, you're not connected to that link any more. Or you could pass on all the information to the other Asurans just before you ascend.

It looks like you have to nearly die before you ascend. Well, everyone except for Shifu.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominus
              I think that they can, as I beleive it has to do with consiousness of being, not necessarily a soul...if they are different.
              Just like they said.. human beings are essentially machines. Extrmely advanced machines in that we have a autonimous intelligence, but we're machines nonetheless.

We're driven my electrical impulses, have a complex fuel-conversion generator system, etc.

Comment

That depends on weather or not you believe your consciousness resides in your body or your mind. But yes, I believe it's possible for them to ascend. Especially Liam and similar like people who seem so peaceful (before the programming). Makes SGA seem like a bunch of Neaderthals.

Comment

I would hope that they can and I think this makes the Asurans much more interesting villains than the human form replicators from SG-1. I hope they explore this more throughout the season, although I don't want the retrovirus storyline to be forgotten.

Comment

Well, the Ori learned to ascend - and they're more EVIL than anything. Even Anubis learned the secrets of ascension - and he was banished by the Goa'uld!!!

The Asurans are driven by revenge on their creators - this is no where near as bad as what the Ori or Anubis have.
                    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I'm reminded of the scene between Daniel and RepliCarter where he says the knowledge of an Ascended being he has within him is too much for her to handle, its not just information, its understanding -- I wonder if the Asurans, who are admittedly most likely a LOT futher advanced than even the time-dialation-assistaed human-form replicators (no indication the replicators has 10,000 years in there to evolve on Halla, but exactly how long might be a good question) are more advanced emotionally, spiritually than the more-bent-on-replicating Replicators.

Anyway, just a thought.

Comment

I think everyone is forgetting one of the fundementals about ascension: the ability to 'evolve' and further develop as a species. As with Replicarter not being able to comprehend the information in Daniels head, I don't think the Asurans would be able to get to the level of ascension. It's just not about the ability to store massive amounts of information, but the ability to further one's understanding of the universe, and IMO machines are not capable of doing that. Machines do not have this ability, they'll never be able to understand the intricacies of the universe, such as one's soul or feelings. Machines don't have these. Now I know some people will say the nannites were programmed to be 'aggresive', but that's not a feeling. It's just like the replicators in the fact that they can't just stop. So, after all of that babbling, I'd say no.

Comment

Originally posted by edain
                          I think everyone is forgetting one of the fundementals about ascension: the ability to 'evolve' and further develop as a species. As with Replicarter not being able to comprehend the information in Daniels head, I don't think the Asurans would be able to get to the level of ascension. It's just not about the ability to store massive amounts of information, but the ability to further one's understanding of the universe, and IMO machines are not capable of doing that. Machines do not have this ability, they'll never be able to understand the intricacies of the universe, such as one's soul or feelings. Machines don't have these. Now I know some people will say the nannites were programmed to be 'aggresive', but that's not a feeling. It's just like the replicators in the fact that they can't just stop. So, after all of that babbling, I'd say no.
                          And why can't Machine's do that? You're thinking of Human/Earth/Tau'ri Machines, even our Most advance Computers are still only Single Minded, performing tasks in a row, whilst Humans can perform Multiple tasks all together.

The Asurans are much more than Human Standard Machines, They are akin to us. We're just Advanced Machines made form 'Organic' Components as opposed to 'Inorganic' Ones. But that doesn't make them any less Intriquate or advanced. They are probably above us in amny ways. They're's nothing to state that they have no concept of Love, a Soul, Emotions.

And Emotions, they're just Programmed into us, extremely advanced programming yes. With layers upon layers of detail. Who's to say you couldn't (in many eons of years & research) program a Computer/Machine to feel emotions?

In all, I believe They could Ascend, they're probably way more advanced than we are, in many ways... (They're's nothing to state they don't study philosophy, theology, etc... Plus, they can Evolve & learn, right? They probably can).

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet
                            And why can't Machine's do that? You're thinking of Human/Earth/Tau'ri Machines, even our Most advance Computers are still only Single Minded, performing tasks in a row, whilst Humans can perform Multiple tasks all together.

The Asurans are much more than Human Standard Machines, They are akin to us. We're just Advanced Machines made form 'Organic' Components as opposed to 'Inorganic' Ones. But that doesn't make them any less Intriquate or advanced. They are probably above us in amny ways. They're's nothing to state that they have no concept of Love, a Soul, Emotions.

And Emotions, they're just Programmed into us, extremely advanced programming yes. With layers upon layers of detail. Who's to say you couldn't (in many eons of years & research) program a Computer/Machine to feel emotions?

In all, I believe They could Ascend, they're probably way more advanced than we are, in many ways... (They're's nothing to state they don't study philosophy, theology, etc... Plus, they can Evolve & learn, right? They probably can).

I don't think it matters. You're reasoning is that you throw another circuit into the machine it would know what a soul is beyond what the dictionary says. IMO it just doesn't happen that way. The Lantiens developed and evolved as a species, and created the nanites that worked their way into the Asurans. But in the thousands of years that they have existed, you think they would have ascended at some point. But no, they have reached their peak of development as a race and therefore can't advance in understanding. And emotions aren't pre-programmed; if they were, then all humans would behave in the same manner. They, more so than the replicators, are just like the borg. As much as they wish to better themselves as a race to the point of perfection, you'll always miss that 'it' that humans have: the unpredictable nature, love, hatred passion. IMO the wraith would ascend(as scary a thought as that is) before the asurans do. However; there will probably be some of the asurans that ascend at a certain point, but based on the 'rules' established throughout the series, I would disagree with it. Just think of this, would Oma help an asuran ascend?
                            Last edited by edain; 14 August 2006, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Well I did see the movie AI, and that kind of gives you the impression that machines may eventually become autonomous and can ascend. Unfortunately though...I don't think so. Their bloody computers, they can get virus' and reprogrammed. But then if the Ori---whatever they are, can ascend, Hallowed are the Asurans.
                              Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Working...
                              X