Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sg8man View Post
    Ahhh . . . That's exactly what I meant.
    "it'll take them hundreds of years" = they are not capable of "intergalactic speeds."
    It doesn't really matter for the Wraith. They could sleep the whole way.

Originally posted by from_orion
    Sure the wraith can get to to earth, albeit slowly, only problem being they have no idea what direction to fly, since the only ones who found out were destroyed and they were not sharing information at that time.
    Michael is still around.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post

No we can't. In fact, if you go off the increments talked about in the series, Atlantis is much slower than Asgard and Taur'i ships.
      No, Atlantis should have beat the Apollo to the new homeworld.
      Therefore the hyperdrive is faster.
      It takes the Daedalus about 4days to get from MW to Pegasus.
      So it's not really a question of speed but more a question of power.

Asgard ships aren't the same.
      Asgard have been around an extra 10 thousand years and in that time have obviously upgraded their hyper drive technology so pfft.

Something is messed up. I'm guessing the writers decided that Pegasus isn't the same size as it's real life counterpart.
      There is no such thing as "intergalactic speeds". The Wraith possess the technology to go to Earth right now, it'll just take them hundreds of years to get there.
      No, they would totally ruin the ships(maybe) due to hyperspace radiation.
      However it would as you pointed out take them hundred of years to get there . Yet i refuse to believe they would die, they could put it on autopilot or something, and hybernate until they reach MW.

Plot Device. Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper were originally going to have SG-1 discover Atlantis buried under Antarctica instead of the outpost. SG-1 was being renewed and they wanted the new series to be independent of SG-1, so they put Atlantis in another galaxy.
      Wasn't it supposedly meant to be a movie as well?

So glad it wasn't because STARGATE: ATLANTIS is so much better than any STARGATE MOVIE.(i am very bias)
      sigpic
      i know this is an overstatement and untrue to the show, but i still think its funny kinda

Comment

Originally posted by Athosian Death facilitator View Post
        No, Atlantis should have beat the Apollo to the new homeworld.
        Therefore the hyperdrive is faster.
        The evidence supports Atlantis being slow.

It takes the Daedalus about 4days to get from MW to Pegasus.
        When equipped with a ZPM it takes 4days. When it's not equipped (most of the time) it takes ~18 days.

So it's not really a question of speed but more a question of power.
        Power = Speed.

Asgard ships aren't the same.
        Not sure what you mean.

Asgard have been around an extra 10 thousand years and in that time have obviously upgraded their hyper drive technology so pfft.
        The Asgard gained access to a lot of Lantean technology and have since improved on it. I never said otherwise.

No, they would totally ruin the ships(maybe) due to hyperspace radiation.
        Not if they stopped every few hours and allowed their hulls to regenerate.

However it would as you pointed out take them hundred of years to get there . Yet i refuse to believe they would die, they could put it on autopilot or something, and hybernate until they reach MW.
        Exactly.

Wasn't it supposedly meant to be a movie as well?
        If SG-1 was canceled after season 7, they were going to make a dvd movie to introduce StarGate: Atlantis. If the movie did well, it was going to be turned into a series.

Then SG-1 got renewed and SciFi wanted more StarGate so they created Atlantis. Rising was basically what the movie would have been.

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

It doesn't really matter for the Wraith. They could sleep the whole way.

Michael is still around.
          You know...I would LOVE that as the series ending for Atlantis - the Wraith utterly destroyed, except for a single hive ship that has the coordinates for Earth that we jumping into hyperspace with the final shot of the Wraith inside hibernating waiting for hundreds of years that it will take... ::droolling with the possibilites::
          "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

The evidence supports Atlantis being slow.

If SG-1 was canceled after season 7, they were going to make a dvd movie to introduce StarGate: Atlantis. If the movie did well, it was going to be turned into a series.

Then SG-1 got renewed and SciFi wanted more StarGate so they created Atlantis. Rising was basically what the movie would have been.
            Not a DVD movie - a full length feature film which is why they've got great effects for the episodes, the money was already budgeted but the film got shelved. TPTB have stated that multiple times.
            "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

Power = Speed.
              And of course size does matter since a bigger ship allows for bigger engines.
              Last edited by chyron; 25 November 2007, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Remember atlantis is a city, probably not designed for the fastest hyperspace travel though it is capable of travelling to PG from MW very quickly so it can't be that slow.
                Best quotes ever:
                O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                Thor:I like the yellow ones
                O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
                  Remember atlantis is a city, probably not designed for the fastest hyperspace travel though it is capable of travelling to PG from MW very quickly so it can't be that slow.
                  If you're thinking of aerodynamics, you're forgetting that it travels through the vacuum of space not to mention the shield would be in place to deflect anything that might be in its path when at sublight and to deal with the stresses.

Comment

Originally posted by chyron View Post
                    And of course size does matter since a bigger ship allows for bigger engines.
                    Bigger power source, bigger engines, etc, etc.

Originally posted by umopapisdn
                    What do you mean by "very quickly", and where did you get that idea?

Comment

Originally posted by verbalkint View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      Seeing that the Asuran city-ship departed Asuras and Weir & company had time to come up with a plan and implement it before it reached Atlantis makes me wonder just how fast the city-ship hyperspace drives are. It must have taken hours to pull that reprogramming off for Rodney. For some reason I think the reason the ancients didn't just take Atlantis back to earth is that their hyperdrive engines aren't fast enough to distance themselves from the wraith and thus would have led the wraith directly to Earth and the rest of the MW galaxy.
                      Just a thought.
                      For all we know, Asuras could have been on the other side of the galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSullivan View Post
                        For all we know, Asuras could have been on the other side of the galaxy.
                        So what? The Pegasus galaxy is only supposed to be about 3 thousand light years across, which means (if Atlantis class ships are fast) it should take less than 30 minutes to travel from one side of the galaxy to the other.

Another thing to note is that Rodney's experimental puddle jumper with a hyperdrive was able to jump about 2000 light years, and when Radek and he were discussing it, they made it sound like that wasn't very far at all. If Pegasus is only 3000 LY in diameter, then that PJ would be jumping 2/3rds of the way across, which, relatively speaking, is a pretty big jump.

So I'm guessing the Pegasus galaxy in the show is only loosely based on the Pegasus galaxy in real life. In other words, Pegasus in the series isn't 3000 LY in diameter, it's much much larger (which is lame as hell).
                        That's the only way fast ships like the Daedalus could take hours for interstellar travel, and yet still take weeks for intergalactic travel.

If this is the case, then without knowing how big Pegasus is and having approximate travel times, there is no way to tell how fast or slow Atlantis is.

Comment

just look at the speedometer
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to WingedPegasus and myself for the sigs, and to Myn for the userbar.

Comment

Bigger power source, bigger engines, etc, etc.

What do you mean by "very quickly", and where did you get that idea?
                            What I meant by 'very quickly' was that it is capable of travelling at a similar speed to the deadelus (based on what I know from Adrift), that means that it can get to the PG galaxy in about 20 days, thats if its slower than the DD. Atlantis at that point was only powered by 1 ZPM afterall.

If you're thinking of aerodynamics, you're forgetting that it travels through the vacuum of space not to mention the shield would be in place to deflect anything that might be in its path when at sublight and to deal with the stresses.
                            I was talking about the fact they probably weren't focussing on it being able to go at the fastest possible speed where as on things like warships you would expect them to focuss on it much more.
                            Best quotes ever:
                            O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                            Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                            Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                            Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                            Thor:I like the yellow ones
                            O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

So I'm guessing the Pegasus galaxy in the show is only loosely based on the Pegasus galaxy in real life. In other words, Pegasus in the series isn't 3000 LY in diameter, it's much much larger (which is lame as hell).
                              That's the only way fast ships like the Daedalus could take hours for interstellar travel, and yet still take weeks for intergalactic travel.

If this is the case, then without knowing how big Pegasus is and having approximate travel times, there is no way to tell how fast or slow Atlantis is.
                              You assume that everybody is always maxing out their hyperdrives. This might not be the case, or it might not even be possible, for example, If you were to drive everywhere with your foot down redlining, you're engine wouldn't last very long.
                              sigpic

Comment

What I meant by 'very quickly' was that it is capable of travelling at a similar speed to the deadelus (based on what I know from Adrift), that means that it can get to the PG galaxy in about 20 days, thats if its slower than the DD. Atlantis at that point was only powered by 1 ZPM afterall.
                                Nothing happened in Adrift that would allow you to do a speed comparison between Atlantis and Daedalus.

I was talking about the fact they probably weren't focussing on it being able to go at the fastest possible speed where as on things like warships you would expect them to focuss on it much more.
                                Except that we know Aurora was damn slow. It was going to take them months to get home if they didn't upgrade their engines. It should only take Daedalus about 14 hours to cross the Milky Way (Pegasus is much smaller than the Milky Way).

I'm not saying that all Aurora class ships were this slow, but they were until well into the war with the Wraith.

Originally posted by sg8man
                                You assume that everybody is always maxing out their hyperdrives.
                                I'm assuming these ships are traveling at their normal cruising speeds at all times.

Originally posted by sg8man
                                This might not be the case, or it might not even be possible, for example, If you were to drive everywhere with your foot down redlining, you're engine wouldn't last very long.
                                In the episode Critical Mass, Hermiod made some changes to make the engines faster, but he couldn't maintain that speed for very long (less than two hours). That indicates that they were traveling at their maximum (safe) cruising speed.
                                Can they travel slower? Sure, I suppose, but why would they if it's not going to damage their engines?

Comment

Working...
                                X