Atlantis City Ship stardrive speed: possible spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
    Nothing happened in Adrift that would allow you to do a speed comparison between Atlantis and Daedalus.

Except that we know Aurora was damn slow. It was going to take them months to get home if they didn't upgrade their engines. It should only take Daedalus about 14 hours to cross the Milky Way (Pegasus is much smaller than the Milky Way).
    I'm going on the fact that Atlantis should have beaten them there, not the most sound arguament but at least is shows us atlantis isn't as slow as one of their warships, which i was wrong about their speed(I just watched aurora again), so they could still be around as fast as the DD which was my comment in the first place. Considering atlantis was only powered by 1 ZPM out of the 3.
    Best quotes ever:
    O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
    Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
    Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
    Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
    Thor:I like the yellow ones
    O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
      I'm going on the fact that Atlantis should have beaten them there, not the most sound arguament but at least is shows us atlantis isn't as slow as one of their warships, which i was wrong about their speed(I just watched aurora again), so they could still be around as fast as the DD which was my comment in the first place. Considering atlantis was only powered by 1 ZPM out of the 3.
      You seemed to have missed the earlier discussion in this thread about the whole "Atlantis should have beaten Daedalus" scenario, so I'll recap:

There are plenty of reasons why the Apollo wouldn't have beaten Atlantis to their rendezvous, the most obvious is that the Apollo remained behind to make sure the Asuran satellite weapon wasn't going to follow Atlantis to their new planet. We know that Apollo remained behind and watched Atlantis leave the planet and enter hyperspace because he reported such to Carter when they reported Atlantis was missing. So, if they hung out long enough to watch Atlantis enter hyperspace, then it's quite possible they hung out long enough to make sure the Asuran satellite weapon wasn't going to follow them (a few hours).

We also know that Atlantis wasn't going to reach it's destination for 'hours' according to McKay. Daedalus should be able to cross [the real] Pegasus galaxy in about 26 minutes, which means Atlantis is slow if they were going to take hours to get to the nearest habitable planet without a gate that has a big ocean.

My working hypothesis is that the Lanteans didn't have fast hyperspace drives until long into the war with the Wraith. It was simply a technology that hadn't been discovered until that point. Once discovered, they radioed the upgrade information to their ships out in the field (like Aurora) and those ships were able to upgrade their "star drives" to "hyper drives".
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
        Can they travel slower? Sure, I suppose, but why would they if it's not going to damage their engines?
        I just proposed that they might not always be going at max speed to preserve their engines, pardon my in-(un?)clarity. It could explain a lot of things. But in any case you're quite right.
        sigpic

Comment

Ancient hyperdrive engines are probably as fast as a plot hole.
          Best quotes ever:
          O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
          Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
          Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
          O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Right I want to make a few things clear if i may, Atlantis has a interstellar hyperdrive not an intergalactic one, so 10,000 years ago when the Ancient-Wraith war going on they must have stripped doen the hyperdrive for parts of whatever and left the main stardrive, hence travel between stars the stardrive, anyway the daedalus can travel with ZPM power to atlantis in about 4 days, with 3 zpms if they could utilize that power could get there in about half a day or even less maybe like 0.0000000000078 nanoseconds with power like that, we just dont know.

Finally i think atlantis could go at an infinite speed because simply we dont know what kind of speed hyperspace occurs at it could be 10 powers of light speed but the speed would be very fast.
            sigpic

Comment

If the PG galaxy is based on the real 1 it is about 3 million ly away, for the deadelus to get there in 18 days it would need to be travelling at around 7000 ly per hour, slower than 10 power the speed of light. (Presuming the galaxy is based on reality)
              Best quotes ever:

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
                If the PG galaxy is based on the real 1 it is about 3 million ly away, for the deadelus to get there in 18 days it would need to be travelling at around 7000 ly per hour, slower than 10 power the speed of light. (Presuming the galaxy is based on reality)
                It's pretty clear that Pegasus is based on reality, but not very well. It is said in SGA(I think when they were talking about the Gate Bridge) that it's roughly 3 million light years from the MW, which is consistent with the Pegasus Dwarf Irregular galaxy, but there's too many inconsistencies. In reality, that galaxy is roughly 6 thousand light years in diameter. If the Daedalus can travel from the MW to Pegasus in 18 days then thats roughly 7000 light years/hour or 165,000 light years/day, as stated before. With those kind of speeds the Daedalus would be able to cross the Pegasus galaxy in less then an hour.

Comment

The writers probably took a real galaxy/ dwarf galaxy and manipulated the idea of it to suit their purpose so they can make it as far across as they like.
                  Best quotes ever:

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
                    It's pretty clear that Pegasus is based on reality, but not very well. It is said in SGA(I think when they were talking about the Gate Bridge) that it's roughly 3 million light years from the MW, which is consistent with the Pegasus Dwarf Irregular galaxy, but there's too many inconsistencies. In reality, that galaxy is roughly 6 thousand light years in diameter. If the Daedalus can travel from the MW to Pegasus in 18 days then thats roughly 7000 light years/hour or 165,000 light years/day, as stated before. With those kind of speeds the Daedalus would be able to cross the Pegasus galaxy in less then an hour.
                    Perhaps you HAVE to travel slower inside the galaxy. There are larger objects located in the galaxies than in intersteller space you know. There was an episode i cant recall which one where a gravity well (i think it was. somethin with a large gravitational pull) disrupted the naquadria reactor and burned it out. Maybe its just like that in a galaxy. The objects arent physically there but you still have to avoid them because their gravity has affects on hyperspace travel.

Comment

Originally posted by DaCk View Post
                      Perhaps you HAVE to travel slower inside the galaxy. There are larger objects located in the galaxies than in intersteller space you know. There was an episode i cant recall which one where a gravity well (i think it was. somethin with a large gravitational pull) disrupted the naquadria reactor and burned it out. Maybe its just like that in a galaxy. The objects arent physically there but you still have to avoid them because their gravity has affects on hyperspace travel.
                      Dont think thats a real good explanation - galaxies still aren't very dense. Two galaxies could fly right through eachother, with the greatest likelihood beinh that not a single collision occurs.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sg8man View Post
                        Dont think thats a real good explanation - galaxies still aren't very dense. Two galaxies could fly right through eachother, with the greatest likelihood beinh that not a single collision occurs.
                        Riiighht... yeah two galaxies run into each other and nothing happens? There would be a lot of collisions. It doesnt matter about the density it matters about the objects and their affects on the space in hyperspace. We dont know how far out the gravity stretches in hyperspace. Or any other type of thing that could make it dense in hyperspace.

Comment

Originally posted by DaCk View Post
                          Riiighht... yeah two galaxies run into each other and nothing happens? There would be a lot of collisions. It doesnt matter about the density it matters about the objects and their affects on the space in hyperspace. We dont know how far out the gravity stretches in hyperspace. Or any other type of thing that could make it dense in hyperspace.
                          Sure things happen but it is true that more than likely "no collisions" would occur. However I'm sure that it would have a wacky effect on many orbits, causing destabilization of stable worlds.

Comment

Scientists don't really know why when 2 galaxies collide they separate again, the black holes should draw together but they don't, they believe this is a result of dark matter. With 2 galaxies coming together of course there will be collisions, their not like atoms there is a lot of space debris and many other objects. Gravity would cause things to happen like planets coming together and other such things.
                            Best quotes ever:

Comment

Ok here are some more basic numbers

If we assume a round distance of 3 Million in a streight line from Earth to Lantia, and a 304 can get there in 3 weeks that works out to 1 million Light Years Per Week. That's 52 Million times the speed of Light! And Atlantis is faster! Geeze.

On a side note: That would mean that a 304 Could traverse the entire Observable UNIVERSE in just over 300 Years.
                              Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

Where do you get 300 years from to cross the universe? The observable universe is about 90 billion light years across. At a 1 million ly/week that is 90,000 weeks, which is 1730 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X