Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
Results 121 to 126 of 126
  1. #121
    Lieutenant Colonel Mister Oragahn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,266

    Default Re: Atlantis City Ship stardrive speed: possible spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarnin View Post
    You're talking about cosmic inflation, but your conclusion is wrong.

    Inflation states that not long after the big bang the universe expanded faster than the speed of light. No laws of physics were broken though, because space can stretch faster than the speed of light as long as local objects in that space don't exceed the speed of light.
    Think warp drive: The ship isn't traveling faster than light through space, the space that ship occupies is traveling faster than light and the ship is just along for the ride.
    Basically, the cloth on the table (universe) was being stretched faster than the gravy sauce puddle (light) that fell from the cup (big bang).

  2. #122
    Defender Alterus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Atlantis City Ship stardrive speed: possible spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Bragi View Post
    Well. . .

    Spoiler:
    We don't know how far away Asura is from Atlantis.

    But speeds in Stargate have been frelled with so much that it's hard to say. An Asgard ship can travel from their home galaxy to Earth in minutes, but take a week to reach Pegasus.

    It's a real mindfrell.
    Erm, when I thought it took the most advanced Asgard ship several hours to a day to travel from Earth to the outer edge of Ida, certainly long enough for Carter to build the time dilation controller

  3. #123
    Captain Xaeden's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,033

    Default Re: Atlantis City Ship stardrive speed: possible spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Alterus View Post
    Erm, when I thought it took the most advanced Asgard ship several hours to a day to travel from Earth to the outer edge of Ida, certainly long enough for Carter to build the time dilation controller
    It took longer than usual because of the strain of towing the Prometheus. Thor described the journey as "many hours:"

    THOR
    The journey to our home galaxy will take many hours with your vessel in tow. You may consult your superiors en route.


    Technically that could mean days, but the only lengthy gap was when O'neill went off to consult his superiors on Earth. They may have needed a few hours to talk it over, but it's unlikely it took them days to make a decision. The device you're referring to wasn't built by Carter. Rather Thor had it built for her using Earth-based materials. She was probably just studying it when O'neill interrupted her. After that O'neill says he's hungry, goes to cargo by three where the food is, talks to Jonas and Teal'c there, and, as they're talking, they drop out of hyperspace.

  4. #124
    Center Back
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Germany, Bavaria, near Passau
    Posts
    796

    Default Re: Atlantis City Ship stardrive speed: possible spoilers

    Indeed, the BC-304 Class ships just can't generate enough power to really run the Asgard-Systems at their most efficient (The Asgard don't build big ships just because! Their technology needs the room for power-generation! It's the same for the Goa'uld, that's why those Ha'tak can run superior technology, because they generate tons more power than a 304, a stock 304 could never fight a stock Ha'tak and even with the Asgard-Beams it isn't a guaranteed victory if the Ha'tak opens fire first (look at what happened to Sam's ship in the SGU opening episode, it got pounded - Asgard-Weapons offline (because of damage!) etc.)), thus they are slow, have (comparably!) weak shields etc. (I bet even the APBW is stronger or at least able to fire faster with a propper power-source!)

    greetings LAX

  5. #125
    Defender Alterus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Atlantis City Ship stardrive speed: possible spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Xaeden View Post
    It took longer than usual because of the strain of towing the Prometheus. Thor described the journey as "many hours:"

    THOR
    The journey to our home galaxy will take many hours with your vessel in tow. You may consult your superiors en route.


    Technically that could mean days, but the only lengthy gap was when O'neill went off to consult his superiors on Earth. They may have needed a few hours to talk it over, but it's unlikely it took them days to make a decision. The device you're referring to wasn't built by Carter. Rather Thor had it built for her using Earth-based materials. She was probably just studying it when O'neill interrupted her. After that O'neill says he's hungry, goes to cargo by three where the food is, talks to Jonas and Teal'c there, and, as they're talking, they drop out of hyperspace.
    Yes but the Prometheus’ is less than 10% of the mass of an O’Neill so I wouldn’t think it would cause much change in speed

  6. #126
    Defender Alterus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    104

    Default Re: Atlantis City Ship stardrive speed: possible spoilers

    Quote Originally Posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
    Indeed, the BC-304 Class ships just can't generate enough power to really run the Asgard-Systems at their most efficient (The Asgard don't build big ships just because! Their technology needs the room for power-generation! It's the same for the Goa'uld, that's why those Ha'tak can run superior technology, because they generate tons more power than a 304, a stock 304 could never fight a stock Ha'tak and even with the Asgard-Beams it isn't a guaranteed victory if the Ha'tak opens fire first (look at what happened to Sam's ship in the SGU opening episode, it got pounded - Asgard-Weapons offline (because of damage!) etc.)), thus they are slow, have (comparably!) weak shields etc. (I bet even the APBW is stronger or at least able to fire faster with a propper power-source!)

    greetings LAX
    Erm a stock 304 is way more powerful than a ha’tak remember a 304 can stand on even footing with Wraith and even Ancient warships. Even without Asgard Weapons it's said that taking on a 304 with Ha’tak’s is a suicide mission with a victory only under certain circumstances, ie an ambush with a minefield and neutron star gravity

Similar Threads

  1. Atlantis is not the city in tablet. spoilers
    By GreyFox in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: July 12th, 2006, 04:27 PM
  2. Atlantis Stardrive
    By NakedJehutyV2 in forum SGA Science and Tech
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: April 4th, 2006, 06:45 PM
  3. stardrive speed?
    By enemy of your enemy in forum SG-1 Science and Tech
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: March 8th, 2006, 02:57 PM
  4. Atlantis- Still the most advanced city?? (possible spoilers)
    By Eoin in forum SGA General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: August 22nd, 2005, 04:36 PM
  5. Atlantis City as a ship
    By iamJay in forum SGA General Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: May 22nd, 2005, 11:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •