ST: Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Though the show was cancelled, you'll be pleased to know that the Temporal Cold War story arc did get a conclusion before the show ended.
    It's a good news! I've to admit I was quite hesitant to begin the series because of this cancellation. It's still frustrating to watch a series which was cancelled without a good conclusion.

Comment

You're in luck, most of the show's story lines were concluded before cancellation. The show does have a series finale, but it was poorly received. I'll wait for you to see it before going into why. Overall, the final season was well received. I won't say more as it'll spoil that opening scene which has you sitting back asking, "Wha...t?"

Comment

^^ Oh yessss....what Snowman said. I just finished my S-3 rewatch, and that cliffhanger.......OH MY.

I'm not sure if I want to go straight into S-4, or revisit the earlier seasons. Decisions....decisions......

IHS
        sigpic

Comment

I read that the cliffhanger at the end of "Zero Hour" would either ensure the show was renewed for a fourth season or "punish" the network if the show were cancelled. haha

Comment

Season 3 was my favourite, followed by Season 4. I was sorry they cancelled it because of the wasted potential. There were so many potential story-lines for the next two seasons - the Terra Prime thing, Andoria, beginnings of the Federation, T´Pol and Trip relationship...

I wouldn´t mind "These are the voyages..." if it was an episode about actual ENT characters, not dealing with Riker and Troi who I didn´t care about much even during TNG.
            I read a recent interview with Frakes and he said it felt awkward. Mostly because of Scott Bakula who, professional and nice as always, never really talked about it openly but Frakes said that he felt out of place there. The very ending, the three captains telling the usual "These are the voyages..." was a great idea but it would have worked better if it was in a better episodes...and two seasons later.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Good gravy Klenotka.......niiiice avi! *Hughlicious*

I've been trying to get S-1 from my local library but they don't seem to have a copy any longer. I wonder if someone lost the DVD set or it was broken or something. Anyway, the season with the shortest waiting time is S-2, so I will be doing a re-watch as soon as I get my copy.

IHS
              sigpic

Comment

My son and I are now into the last season of Voyager. So our next rewatch (for me) and first time viewing for my son will be Enterprise. I think he'll like any battle scene stuff the best because it's the newest of the shows for special effects. Though now that he has many Treks under his belt, he might be griping about Klingons! Borg! before Kirk's time. I'll just tell him it'll be all worth it to get to season 4.
                Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

The only First Contacts that happened too early were the Ferengi and the Borg. In the case of the Ferengi, I think the writers just really wanted to bring them back for a one-time pre-24th century encounter. As for the Borg, I let that slide because it ties into First Contact (the movie). The Klingons had been enemies of the Federation and Earth long before Kirk's time, so that wasn't an issue.

Maybe your son will appreciate the Temporal Cold War, growing to wonder if the show will lead into the others or into a different future. He'll probably love the Xindi arc.

Comment

I don´t think that either of these was a big problem. Well, at least not for me. The Borg thing was explained and I doubt that Picard (during his first contact with Borg) was aware of every single report Archer (and dozens of other captains) wrote. I bet he didn´t care since it was Q who brought them to the Borg space.
                    I am not a big fan of Klingons but I liked them in the ENT. I liked the hints that they weren´t always the warrior race and how Archer kept pissing them off
                    Ferengi, it´s the same thing as with the Borg, I guess. And I don´t think they were unknown to the Federation during TNG (or TOS, for the matter), they just...tried not to attract too much attention.

I don´t really like this talk about the continunity in Enterprise because many trekkies seem to love the new Star Trek movie. There was created a complete alternate universe

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
                      Ferengi, it´s the same thing as with the Borg, I guess. And I don´t think they were unknown to the Federation during TNG (or TOS, for the matter), they just...tried not to attract too much attention.
                      First contact with the Ferengi was in TNG's first-season episode "The Last Outpost." That's why the Ferengi 200 years earlier on Archer's NX-01 Enterprise was a bit of an issue for the audience. I'm guessing they either forgot about the former episode or figured they could slide by if they refused to identify themselves as Ferengi. They would go down in history as some really ugly alien pirates who tried to raid the ship.

I don´t really like this talk about the continunity in Enterprise because many trekkies seem to love the new Star Trek movie. There was created a complete alternate universe
                      The movie wasn't a complete alternate universe, rather, an alternate timeline. Only Enterprise was left intact as it happened before Nero showed up in the past. It's basically a soft reboot à la Batman Begins. Unlike the Batman reboot, the creative world is left intact and simply deviates into a different direction at about thirty years before the original show began. Interestingly, Pike was suppose to have commanded the ship before command was given to Kirk. In the movie, Kirk takes command (at the end) ten years earlier than he did in the TV show.

People love the new movie, because it made Star Trek fun and exciting again. Prior to the 2009 film, Star Trek had grown old and stale. It had to be rebooted. In addition to that, people who love the movie are now checking out the older movies and the TV shows.

My only frustration with the 2009 movie is that it means the 1966-05 Roddenberry/Berman Star Trek is effectively over.

Comment

I liked the movie, too. It´s just not fair, imo, that some people have so many issues with Enterprise, where they tried something new as well, but accepted the movie. Enterprise had its problem and I understand why someone didn´t like it (back in 2000s) but they tried to change something, too.

That´s what I meant with the Ferengi - they met Starfleet ship (Enterprise), never introduced themseleves, maybe even later knew about the Federation but Starfleet didn´t know about them because Ferengi didn´t want the Federation to know. (if it makes sense at all )

Comment

It was only the Trekkie fanboyz with internet access who whined about Enterprise. The issue was that the show was a prequel, but one that took liberties in favor of telling interesting stories. The 2009 movie had a better reception, because it was a reboot instead of a prequel. There wasn't anything to be consistent with.

Comment

I guess you are right with that reboot thing

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                              Oh yeah, I agree that it was a great concept, but the execution was appalling- it would have been a great idea for a mid-season ep, even with Riker and Troi still in it, but yes, everyone was just so out of character, and it was a miserable idea for a finale, I don't know what they thought they were doing, and obviously they didn't either.....

Novelty episodes DO NOT make good finales.

And it's a shame, because if it had been better executed the basic premise would have made a great mid season ep.
                              Yeah the execution of the finale left much to be desired. However I'm not sure if I would rank it as appalling as....say...the plot device of "Let's unrealistically trash a Galaxy-class starship with a nearly 100-year-old Klingon BoP that realistically should've been obliterated in a few shots, despite its shields being up and despite the Enterprise-D'S shield's being effectively neutralized"

Comment

I'm currently doing a rewatch on this, 10 eps into S3 atm, and it seems better to me than it did first time around.
                                I recall getting so sick of the Xindi storyline that I turned it off as soon as that was mentioned in an episode. I think I may have overlooked a few good episodes doing that.

Comment

Working...
                                X