X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought TV shows weren't rated?

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
      I need some help guys. For those of you who live in the US, can you tell me what the TV Rating was for the first part of "In a Mirror, Darkly?" I'm tagging the episode for my iPod, and it has no rating. I know the second part was rated "TV-PG DL"

And for the recod, I decided to post in an existing Enterprise thread instead of creating a new thread.
      I was going to say TV-PG (but what the frak does DL mean?), because I think that was what it was when UPN aired it in syndication, but now I'm not positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
        I was going to say TV-PG (but what the frak does DL mean?), because I think that was what it was when UPN aired it in syndication, but now I'm not positive.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televis...#United_States

D for suggestive dialogue or drama (suggestive or explicit subject matter)
        L for mild coarse language
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Televis...#United_States

D for suggestive dialogue or drama (suggestive or explicit subject matter)
          L for mild coarse language
          Wow.....sadly, I just read half that page. These ratings really do get complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
            Wow.....sadly, I just read half that page. These ratings really do get complicated.
            Got that right.
            sigpic

Comment

OK, so I'm watching the first 4 episodes from season 3 on Sci Fi on Monday:They we're great!!!OMG it was so awesome to see the adventures of the first enterprise trying to find the Xindi.I'm thinking though, why are they so scared they can build huge weapons capable of devastating planets but they have problems with one human vessel?I'm so excited to see what will happen.I swear I'm starting to like star Trek more than Stargate.Never mind i misspoke nothing is greater than Stargate( ) but i have to admit its a breath of fresh air too see an exciting science fiction show.The thing i like is that every episode we encounter new races not just always bumping into the Goa'uld for example.In Stargate meeting 100 different races seemed to create plot holes but it makes you understand a sense of how large the galaxy is in Star Trek Enterprise.

Also, an update on my growing Trekkie status:Everyday I'm watching DS9,TNG, and Voyager on Spike TV.I like Voyager the best (after Enterprise of course).

Comment

I had to make time this afternoon to watch Cold Front, one of those episodes that just never gets tired. I think it has pretty much everything- all of the characters had things to do, not just the big three. I love the little scene where Hoshi and Travis were alone on the bridge and Travis sat in the captain's chair. There was some great action, cool tech without the babble, Daniels (one of my favourite characters on the series), amazing visuals- the hologram in Daniel's quarters is fantastic, and then there was the lovely plume of agasoria, and Phlox had plenty to do. And some great suspense. And of course an ominious ending. You almost never go wrong with an ominious ending. And love the moment where Trip was explaining the warp reactor and one of the aliens turned out to be a warp field theorist.

Comment

Had to watch Dear Doctor this evening, such a fantastic episode. I absolutely love Phlox, and John Billingsly was fantastic in this episode right from the beginning. I really like the slow teaser in which nothing happens except Phlox feeding his pets- and then he eats the worm. Beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Caldwell's 2IC View Post
                    And ENTERPRISE filled some gaps in the general Star Trek stoy arc, such as why the klingons looked like humans in Kirk's era
                    OK HOW did I miss that episode ??? Someone tell me...why did the Klingons look human in Kirk's era?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post

In a Mirror, Darkly, Parts I & II
                      TOS "Mirror, Mirror" and the five DS9 episodes dealing with the Mirror Universe work, because we see our characters crossover. Here, there is no crossover, there is only the Mirror Universe. The whole point of the Mirror Universe is to provide a contrast! Here, there's no contrast, so this story was a waist of two episodes.
                      I beg to differ, there was no waste in these two episodes (but hoshi did show plenty of "waist" ). The contrast was in what we had watched the crew members BE over the past four seasons.
                      As a life-long Trekkie, I adore the mirror universe storylines. They work on MANY levels. It is not simply a contrast but another way things "could be". It is the old "there but for the grace of god...." It shows us what lurks deep inside each of us and how differing circumstances bring out different abilities and choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                        OK HOW did I miss that episode ??? Someone tell me...why did the Klingons look human in Kirk's era?
                        "Affliction" / "Divergence"

The Klingons were experimenting with Human Augment DNA to create Klingon Augments (super soldiers), but the side effect was the Klingon being altered to look somewhat Human, but their DNA would eventually break down. Unfortunately, this lead to an airborne virus that turned regular Klingons into Human-looking Klingon Augments that would also die from DNA break down. At the end of "Divergence," Dr. Phlox managed to find a cure to the virus leaving us with a Klingon world (not the home world) full of Human-looking Klingons. We can assume their descendents were seen in TOS while the uneffected Klingons were seen in the movies. Smooth TOS Klingons having the updated look in TNG/DS9/VOY obviously means that a cure was found between TOS and TNG.
                        Last edited by Daniel Jackson; 16 April 2007, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                          "Affliction" / "Divergence"

The Klingons were experimenting with Human Augment DNA to create Klingon Augments (super soldiers), but the side effect was the Klingon being altered to look somewhat Human, but their DNA would eventually break down. Unfortunately, this lead to an airborne virus that turned regular Klingons into Human-looking Klingon Augments that would also die from DNA break down. At the end of "Divergence," Dr. Phlox managed to find a cure to the virus leaving us with a Klingon world (not the home world) full of Human-looking Klingons. We can assume their descendents were seen in TOS while the uneffected Klingons were seen in the movies. Smooth TOS Klingons having the updated look in TNG/DS9/VOY obviously means that a cure was found between TOS and TNG.
                          thanks for the information
                          ... I am still trying to figure out how I missed those episodes!

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                            I beg to differ, there was no waste in these two episodes (but hoshi did show plenty of "waist" ). The contrast was in what we had watched the crew members BE over the past four seasons.
                            As a life-long Trekkie, I adore the mirror universe storylines. They work on MANY levels. It is not simply a contrast but another way things "could be". It is the old "there but for the grace of god...." It shows us what lurks deep inside each of us and how differing circumstances bring out different abilities and choices.
                            I understand this. However, all of SG's alternate reality episodes featured the show's characters crossing over to the alternate reality. All of ST's mirror universe episodes featured characters going to the mirror universe. Only showing the Mirror Universe is... well... pointless. No one cares, except for the hardcore Trekkies and those who thought it funny to see them act evil.

The entire point of an alternate reality story is to feature a character going to an alternate reality. If you only show the alternate reality, the entire point of the story goes out the window.

Comment

I just watched it on the Monday night mini-marathon.

Twilight is, was, and forever will be the best Enterprise episode. Ever. Not only that, but the show gets noticably better after this episode.

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
                              The entire point of an alternate reality story is to feature a character going to an alternate reality. If you only show the alternate reality, the entire point of the story goes out the window.
                              Not quite. The point of an alternate reality story is to tell an alternate reality i.e. a different perspective on people, places, and events. It's supposed to show certain characteristics that don't normally apply to the characters in the normal reality. Say for instance, NormalHoshi comes off as fairly meek, disinterested in things around her, and afraid. MirrorHoshi is none of those things, and is in fact rather ruthless. The same is true for showing a different perspective on events such as Mirror Universe's version of First Contact.

You don't need to have the normal characters visit the alternate reality to get the juxtaposition of afraid Hoshi with killer Hoshi. The audience already knows Hoshi is how she is, so just showing how she is different straight up (sans universe crossover) is more than enough to get the point across.

Plus I think you are missing the intention of the Mirror Universe episodes (at least the Enterprise ones). It wasn't just about showing how things could be different, it was a fun, crazy homage to things of Trek's past and established stories. Also, it wasn't just the universe that was different, everything was different, down to the credit sequences.
                              Last edited by Orion's Star; 17 April 2007, 02:57 AM.
                              "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

Originally posted by Orion's Star View Post
                                Not quite. The point of an alternate reality story is to tell an alternate reality i.e. a different perspective on people, places, and events. It's supposed to show certain characteristics that don't normally apply to the characters in the normal reality. Say for instance, NormalHoshi comes off as fairly meek, disinterested in things around her, and afraid. MirrorHoshi is none of those things, and is in fact rather ruthless. The same is true for showing a different perspective on events such as Mirror Universe's version of First Contact.
                                The only alternate reality stories that I like are ones where the story's main characters visit the alternate reality. I don't care about the alternate reality. I want to see the characters react to it. SG-1's "There But for the Grace of God" would have been stupid if they didn't have Daniel visit and only showed the alternate reality. The whole point of the story was to allow the audience to, through Daniel, see what could happen. Take Daniel out of the equation, and it becomes pointless.

You don't need to have the normal characters visit the alternate reality to get the juxtaposition of afraid Hoshi with killer Hoshi. The audience already knows Hoshi is how she is, so just showing how she is different straight up (sans universe crossover) is more than enough to get the point across.
                                I don't care about Mirror Hoshi unless we see one of the show's regular characters interact with her. None of them did, so I found Mirror Hoshi (and the entire two episodes) to be a waste of time.

Plus I think you are missing the intention of the Mirror Universe episodes (at least the Enterprise ones). It wasn't just about showing how things could be different, it was a fun, crazy homage to things of Trek's past and established stories. Also, it wasn't just the universe that was different, everything was different, down to the credit sequences.
                                I liked TOS "Mirror, Mirror." I liked DS9's 5 mirror universe episodes. ENT "In a Mirror, Darkly, Parts I & II" are the only mirror universe episodes that I disliked.

I understand there's more to the story than showing how things could be different. However, I didn't find it to be fun. Watching the crew act evil isn't fun for me. I really don't care about the crazy homages, because it had zero impact on the show. It's not like ENT "Twilight" where it might have happened, it's not like TOS "Mirror, Mirror" where the characters see what might have happened, it... well, it might as well have been a two-part DS9 episode since it had nothing to do with regular Enterprise. The credit change was one of the few things I did like. I also liked that we got to see escape pods.

Comment

Working...
                                X