Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 284
  1. #61
    General
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,098

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    The Andorian episodes were brilliant as well IMHO. And yes, Combs maintained his awesomeness throughout.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    in australia, the final ep, these are the voyages, aired last sunday. yet to watch. probs 2nite. anyway, i think the augment eps were good, brent spiner back, and also the whole vulcan-human "freak" joining was good. that was where the people cloned a baby from t'pol and trip.
    oh, and they air the eps at 12pm at night on sundays!
    gasp! so mean!

  3. #63
    Major General Trek_Girl42's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Battlestar Galactica (B.C., Canada)
    Posts
    13,354

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PG15 View Post
    $160?! Wow, I bought them brand new and it was still only $120, maybe less.
    Sadly that's what they were going for at my local Future Shop and HMV last time I checked. I'd never spend that kind of $$$ for a season of any show, especially since the show is on tv everyday anyway. Unfortunatly the $120 price only lasted a couple months. I really hate how they have to jack up the prices after they've been out for a few weeks.

  4. #64
    First Lieutenant Lieutenant Colonel Davis's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Around.....
    Posts
    956

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
    Come on guys, I know you're out there, those of you whose hearts were broken when Enterprise was cancelled. Discuss, appreciate, and speculate on what could have happened if the show had been allowed to continue!



    Personally, the NX-01 is my favourite version of the Enterprise (well, it ties with the Ent E), I loved the interior design- it felt like a spaceship, the uniforms were the best, and most realistic in Trek (pockets!). And there were some truly lovable characters (my favourites being Phlox and Trip). As for what may have been? Two words: Romulan Wars. Could have been the best storyline in Trek. Also would have loved to see the potential episode "Starbase One" as well as Jeffrey Combs joining the main cast.
    You made this because of my Enterprise bashing didn't you....lol

    When Coto took over in season 4 there were a few good episodes. And I did enjoy the overall theme of the show.

  5. #65
    Major General Trek_Girl42's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Battlestar Galactica (B.C., Canada)
    Posts
    13,354

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Davis View Post
    You made this because of my Enterprise bashing didn't you....lol

    When Coto took over in season 4 there were a few good episodes. And I did enjoy the overall theme of the show.
    Oh don't flatter yourself.....

  6. #66
    Probie Da Princess's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    Hi everyone. I'm Krissy, and I'm new to GateWorld. How are ya'll doing? I'm fine. Anyway, Enterprise was my fav show. Yes, I was very dissappointed, and even sad when it was cancelled. My fav character on Enterprise was Ensign Travis Mayweather. Travis was a great character that was so underused, AM deserved better than that. He's a great actor with lots of talent. Yes, it's no secret that Anthony Montgomery is my fav actor, and yes I am still crushing on him, lol. Well, I can't help that.

    Then after Enterprise was cancelled, since I love sci-fi, SGA was my new fav show, until my fav character on SGA Lt. Aiden Ford left the show. The show & team, just wasn't the same without him. Yeah now Rainbow Sun Francks is one of my newest fav actors, and yeah I'm crushing on him too, lol.
    God Bless, Krissy xoxoxo.

  7. #67
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    USA!
    Posts
    834

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    I think Enterprise helped explain lots of stuff from the other shows.I love it and wish it was still on air.
    Last edited by monkey_man132; March 30th, 2007 at 04:16 PM.

  8. #68
    Second Lieutenant ARMS's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    495

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by monkey_man132 View Post
    I think Enterprise helped explain lots of stuff from the other shows.I love it and wish it was stil on air.
    As do I.

    Although I wasn't a big fan of Ent as I was the others, it was still a good watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.B Shaw
    Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.
    Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.
    Criminals do not die by the hands of the law. They die by the hands of other men.
    You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
    Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them.
    One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
    You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed but that he cannot believe anyone else.
    www.7-scales.co.uk
    http://twitter.com/7Scales

  9. #69
    Chief Master Sergeant Phantom Limb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    ok, it wasn't my favourite trek, not even close but it did have excellent moments and the odd good episode.
    Broken Bow IMO had the strongest opening of any pilot trek show but the first season was kind of forgettable and probably turned alot of people off.
    The romulan wars arc would have been awesome.
    and combs being a regular? i didnt know that, why wasnt this all done earlier? promises, promises.
    i'd say my favourite ep was probably "Regeneration", the way they played it like the crew of ENT couldnt fathom what the Borg were and the fact that they were completely oblivious to the true nature of the Borg it really seemed like they were explorers being confronted with something they truely couldnt handle or understand, far too often it seemed that Archer got the upper hand really quite easily IMO considering they were out in space for all of eighteen months at that point.
    the stuff in s4 was when it came into its own for me, drawing heavily on its trek roots and tying the stories in with stuff that is yet to come, the soong/augments ep in particular was really enjoyable and of course how the Klingons lost their ridges, the coalition that eventually became the Federation, the inclusion of the Orion syndicate and much more. The mirror universe ep was odd because it was fun to watch but Bakula just couldnt pull off evil and insane which is weird for anyone who has seen the Lee Harvey Oswald eps of Quantum Leap because he pulls it off there, that would have been my favourite ep if it werent for that poor performance IMO.
    continued strangness, the show had the strongest beginning and the weakest end of any trek, i cant stand holodeck eps but like someone said in a previous post if it had been mid season no one would complain, it just wasnt finale material.
    its kind of a shame because in many ways Enterprise had the most promise of any Star Trek show but it had really poor character development for some reason (what happened to travis?) and underused its best character (Phlox).
    im guessing interference by network execs but i cant help but think bad writing.
    perhaps an Enterprise film in the vein of serenity would take away the bitter taste of "these are the voyages.." if only!
    To the Mandatorium!!!!!

  10. #70
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,108

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Limb View Post
    ok, it wasn't my favourite trek, not even close but it did have excellent moments and the odd good episode.
    I would agree that it's not the best Star Trek show, but it does stand alone as a good, solid science-fiction TV show with some really great episodes.

    Broken Bow IMO had the strongest opening of any pilot trek show but the first season was kind of forgettable and probably turned alot of people off.
    Of all the pilots, I found "Caretaker" to have the greatest potential. "Broken Bow" comes second. What was wrong with the first season of ENT? Aside from one or two bland episodes, I thought it was quite good. Not great, but good. I also loved the season finale. Watching the show during it's original run, that cliffhanger left me floored. I couldn't wait for Part 2.

    The romulan wars arc would have been awesome.
    and combs being a regular? i didnt know that, why wasnt this all done earlier? promises, promises.
    Would'a, could'a, should'a. I try to judge the show on the stories it told rather than look down on it based on stories it might have told. We didn't see the Romulan War nor Shran become a series regular because the show was cancelled.

    i'd say my favourite ep was probably "Regeneration", the way they played it like the crew of ENT couldnt fathom what the Borg were and the fact that they were completely oblivious to the true nature of the Borg it really seemed like they were explorers being confronted with something they truely couldnt handle or understand, far too often it seemed that Archer got the upper hand really quite easily IMO considering they were out in space for all of eighteen months at that point.
    "Regeneration" is deffinately one of the best of Season 2. It made the Borg scary again as they were in TNG and First Contact. While I liked the portrayal of the Borg on VOY, they lost their feat factor when Seven of Nine joined the crew. As for Archer getting the upper hand quite easilly in the first two seasons... that's because it was an episodic show for the first two years. You're longest story was a two-parter. We wouldn't seen stories spanning more than two episodes until the Xindi saga.

    the stuff in s4 was when it came into its own for me, drawing heavily on its trek roots and tying the stories in with stuff that is yet to come, the soong/augments ep in particular was really enjoyable and of course how the Klingons lost their ridges, the coalition that eventually became the Federation, the inclusion of the Orion syndicate and much more. The mirror universe ep was odd because it was fun to watch but Bakula just couldnt pull off evil and insane which is weird for anyone who has seen the Lee Harvey Oswald eps of Quantum Leap because he pulls it off there, that would have been my favourite ep if it werent for that poor performance IMO.
    Season 4 is just too plain late for the show to come into it's own. That should have occured in the first season. If a show doesn't have an audience by the end of it's first season, then it deserves cancellation. After two seasons, UPN was considering cancelling the show, so Berman & Braga decided to change the premise of the show to draw in a larger audience. It stopped the loss of viewership, but that's all. UPN wanted to cancel the show, but Paramount wanted it to continue for at least one more season. Paramount slashed the budget and practically begged UPN to renew it. Thanks to Paramount, we got an additional 22 episodes. Sure, the finale is crap, but that's just one episode, and let's face it... most shows have one really bad episode each season. One problem with Season 4 is that Manny Coto practically assumed that viewers had seen most of TOS and TNG and thus told a lot of prequel stories that would require you to have seen specific TOS or TNG episodes or be aware of the Star Trek history like Data's backstory for example. Season 4 should have been a climax to ENT, not TOS/TNG prequel stories. That's not to say that I was against all of the Season 4 stories.

    Storm Front, Parts I & II
    Good two-parter, but as a conclussion to the Temporal Cold War, it's lame. Where's the resolution to the Sulliban Cabal and their Future Guy? Woops.

    Home
    ENT's version of TNG's "Family," but they tried to tell too many stories in a 42-minute episode, so it felt flat.

    Borderland / Cold Station 12 / The Augments
    Since genetic engineering is a controversial topic today, I thought this trilogy was a great idea. However, Brent Spiner had way too much screen time. I mean, we saw more of him then some of the main characters!

    The Forge / Awakening / Kir'Shara
    Rick Berman promised us that we would eventually see a story that would explain how the arrogant Vulcans of the 22nd century become the wise Vulcans of the 23rd century. I'm glad Manny Coto handled the story. However, I had to go to a message board and ask who T'Pau was after reading that she was a TOS character. Apparently, I had to see TOS "Amok Time" to know who she is.

    Daedalus
    You'd think the transporter would have been invented by a team of scientists and engineers over several decades. It was interesting to see that it was invented by a single brilliant scientist instead.

    Observer Effect
    Great episode, but I didn't realise it was a prequel to TOS "Errand of Mercy" until after a friend explained that to me.

    Babel One / United / The Aenar
    By far, the best story of the season. This was ment to forshadow the Romulan War.

    Affliction / Divergence
    Stupid, stupid, stupid. The Klingons look different in the spin-off shows than the original, because of a bigger budget and better makeup. We didn't need two episodes wasted on such a stupid story. If they had dropped the stupid Klingon forehead issue and just focused on Phlox trying to stop a Klingon viral epidemic, I might have enjoyed it more.

    Bound
    Orion Slave Girls, eh? Clearly this was made for teenage boys.

    In a Mirror, Darkly, Parts I & II
    TOS "Mirror, Mirror" and the five DS9 episodes dealing with the Mirror Universe work, because we see our characters crossover. Here, there is no crossover, there is only the Mirror Universe. The whole point of the Mirror Universe is to provide a contrast! Here, there's no contrast, so this story was a waist of two episodes.

    Demons / Terra Prime
    This should have been expanded into a trilogy with Part 3 set six years into the future.

    These Are the Voyages...
    It was a good idea to set this six years into the future, and I didn't mind Trip being killed off. What was stupid was to make it a lost TNG episode. Drop all TNG elements and Shran's kid. Focus on the NX-01 returning to Earth for the signing of the Federation Charter, then have Shran show up in a warp-capable shuttle and warn them of a planned Romulan Attack to blast the NX-01 out of the stars. Replace the space pirates with a Romulan Bird of Prey equipped with a cloaking device. The episode could have ended with the Romulan Bird of Prey taking the NX-01 as a prize while the crew abandons ship via escape pods. Trip, on his way to his escape pod, discovers that the Bird of Prey is targetting the escape pods and started to pick them off one by one. He realizes that the only way to save the crew is to self destruct the NX-01, taking the Bird of Prey with it. Trip goes to engineering to overload the warp core, but before he can finish, he's shot by Romulans as they storm the room. The lead soldier removes his helment, revieling to Trip that Romulans look just like the Vulcans. Trip flips a lever as he yells, "Son of a Bit..." as the ship explodes. We'd then fast forward to the crew morning in escape pods as the Columbia picks them up. The final scene would be Archer's speech.

    continued strangness, the show had the strongest beginning and the weakest end of any trek, i cant stand holodeck eps but like someone said in a previous post if it had been mid season no one would complain, it just wasnt finale material.
    The show was cancelled during production of "In a Mirror, Darkly." Both SG-1 and ENT were cancelled with just three episodes left and thus had to rewrite the season finale as a series finale. SG-1's finale was a little anticlimatic, but that's OK since it'll wrapped up with a movie. ENT's finale... is a lost TNG episode.

    its kind of a shame because in many ways Enterprise had the most promise of any Star Trek show but it had really poor character development for some reason (what happened to travis?) and underused its best character (Phlox).
    This happened, because Rick Berman had the bright idea to try and focus soley on Archer, T'Pol, and Trip, recreating the triad of the original show. The original show put so much focus on Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, because they were the only series regulars! Everyone else was technically a recurring guest star, but Gene Roddenberry worked around this by having Scotty, Sulu, Chekov, and Uhrura in nearly every episode of each season. In ENT, we had seven series regulars, but only three got major screen time. We can thank John Billingsley for Phlox's development. Reed and Hoshi could easilly have been recurring guest stars. Travis could be replaced by a mannequin, and no one would notice.

    im guessing interference by network execs but i cant help but think bad writing.
    There were numerous factors:
    1. Rick Berman: The man is creatively burnt out and tried to double as a writer. He should have stuck to producing and give people more creative room then he did.
    2. Brannon Braga: Many people blame Braga as much as they blame Berman, but leave the man alone. He's a good writer when Berman's not breathing down his neck.
    3. UPN supported the show in the first season. Towards the end of the season, UPN got a new president: Leslie Moonves of CBS. Notice the lack of promotion and support during the third and fourth seasons?
    4. The fan campaign to get the show cancelled.
    5. The fans crying continuity violation, scaring off the casual viewers.

    Need I go on?

    perhaps an Enterprise film in the vein of serenity would take away the bitter taste of "these are the voyages.." if only!
    There won't be a movie. Star Trek XI is in production and will be a prequel to the original TV show, likely telling the story of James T. Kirk's first mission as Captain of the Enterprise.

  11. #71
    Major General Trek_Girl42's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Battlestar Galactica (B.C., Canada)
    Posts
    13,354

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    I disagree about shows coming into their own in the first season.....look at TNG's first season, and Voyager's first season, both (I thought) had far more miserable needle-in-the-eye/boring episodes then good, and neither had any episodes that really stuck out as outstanding. I personally don't think that either show came into their own either until their 3rd/4th seasons- even DS9 didn't fully hit it's stride until season three. The difference with them is that they didn't get cancelled before that. With Enterprise, we say it was "too late" because it did get cancelled. It's really pathetic that shows at the moment don't get the leeway that they used to, in order to come into their own creatively. Sometimes it takes awhile to hit stride and become truely great.

  12. #72
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,108

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
    I disagree about shows coming into their own in the first season.....look at TNG's first season, and Voyager's first season, both (I thought) had far more miserable needle-in-the-eye/boring episodes then good, and neither had any episodes that really stuck out as outstanding. I personally don't think that either show came into their own either until their 3rd/4th seasons- even DS9 didn't fully hit it's stride until season three. The difference with them is that they didn't get cancelled before that. With Enterprise, we say it was "too late" because it did get cancelled. It's really pathetic that shows at the moment don't get the leeway that they used to, in order to come into their own creatively. Sometimes it takes awhile to hit stride and become truely great.
    I still feel that a show should be cancelled after the first season if it hasn't built up a strong audience. However, we're talking about Star Trek, so I'll comment on each show instead of making generalizations.

    STAR TREK
    Season 1: I have not seen most of these episodes, but from what I've seen and read online, they are mostly great episodes.
    Season 2: I've seen about half of these episodes. Season 2 is deffinately an improvement over Season 1. I also like the addition of Chekov.
    Season 3: This is the only season I've seen in it's entirety. I enjoyed all 24 episodes. While some are comical, like "Spock's Brain" for example, they are still entertaining.

    STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION
    Season 1: Gold, absolute gold. The only lame episode is "Justice."
    Season 2: Yar and Dr. Crusher are missed, but Pulaski is an interesting though short lived addition to the cast. Most of the episodes this season are great! "The Royale" was downright weird, though.
    Season 3: Dr. Crusher is back! The best season so far. "A Matter of Perspective" was a bit boring, but the rest of the season was great. "Yesterday's Enterprise," "The Offspring," and "The Best of Both Worlds, Part I" are my favorite episodes.
    Seasons 4-7: The remaining four seasons are pretty equal to Season 3, though Wesley is missed. The show consitantly told great stories every year right up to the series finale. Like any show, there's one or two lame episodes per season.

    STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE
    Season 1: Great series premiere, but after that it's a space station. They didn't go anywhere. Sure, they have Runabouts, but that's equal to the Enterprise shuttlecraft in that it's not the main setting.
    Season 2: This is the year where a lot of people stopped watching. The space station premise just doesn't grab you unless you're really into science-fiction. There are some better episodes this season, and I like the forshadowing of the Dominion that culminates in "The Jem'Hadar."
    Season 3: They saved the show by introducing the Defiant and the Dominion. That was the show's main problem: they didn't have a ship (Runabouts don't count) and they didn't have any villains. Sure, there might be a bad guy who visits the station, but you very rarely had a sense of danger for the station itself. In addition to the Defiant and Dominion, the stories this season are far better.
    Season 4: Worf joins the show, woo-hoo! During it's original run, they lost me during the first or second season. "Way of the Warrior" was the episode that brought me back to DS9. (I've since rewatched Seasons 1-3 on DVD.) I hated "Rejoined," but it's otherwise the best season yet. My favorite episode is "Starship Down."
    Season 5: A vast improvement over Season 4. The two-parter "In Purgatory's Shadow" / "By Inferno's Light" is the story that made me a fan of the show. I loved the subtle forshadowing of full scale war that we'd see in the following season. "The Assignment" and "Children of Time" are among the most emotional episodes of the series.
    Seasons 6-7: I like how they kicked the Dominion War off with the Season 5 finale and the first six episodes of Season 6. After that, the show's focus returned to the space station with the occasional war episode until the final nine episodes of the series where DS9 took a back seat to the Defiant. I liked that we got to see Dax swap hosts before the show ended. The death of Jadzia was sad, but it allowed for Ezri Dax who was an interesting character. Of all the ST shows, this one had the best conclussion, because instead of a series finale, it ended with a nine-episode arc!

    STAR TREK: VOYAGER
    Season 1: Short (only 15 episodes), but entertaining. "Caretaker" is such a great episode. I felt like I was watching a movie, and in a way, I was since it is about 90 minutes (without commercials). "Ex Post Facto" is the only lemon.
    Season 2: A vast improvement over Season 1 with the Kazon/Seska arc. "Deadlock" is by far the best episode.
    Season 3: After the epic Kazon arc of Season 2, this year felt a little directionless, but that's not a bad thing. It told some stellar episodes, the best of which being the "Future's End" two-parter. We also got to see Captain Sulu in "Flashback." Finally, this season introduced the Borg who would be the show's main villains in subsequent seasons.
    Season 4: Kes is missed, but she had a good departure. Seven of Nine is a fantastic addition to the show's cast. My only complaint is her stupid outfits. Season 4 brought us great stories like "Year of He**" and the Hirogen arc.
    Season 5: This one's the best season of the series. The Delta Flyer is introduced so they don't have to keep rebuilding lost shuttles. We also got to see some of the best episodes of the series! "Timeless," "Dark Frontier," "Relativity," and "Equiniox, Part I" are by far the best of the season.
    Season 6: A great start with "Equinox, Part II," but this season just doesn't grab me. There are some great episodes, but the majority feel goofy. One thing I do like about Season 6 is that Voyager finally establishes regular contact with Earth.
    Season 7: The final season was great and possibly as good as Season 5. The finale was rushed, but great. I liked that the final shot was Voyager approaching Earth with a Galaxy-class ship and a Defiant-class ship next to Voyager. The Galaxy-class ship represents the Ent-D from TNG, and the Defiant-class represents the Defiant from DS9.

    Finally, we come to Enterprise.

    STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE
    Season 1: "Broken Bow" was a great introduction to the show, but I wish they would have toned down the sexuality. That decon chamber scene with Trip and T'Pol was flat out unnecsessary. The rest of the season is pretty good, though "Acquisition" was unneccessary. Of all the aliens on the featured in previous series, the Ferengi is the one they should have avoided, unless it's just one Ferengi character that could easilly slip by as an unkown alien. Maybe the episode would have worked better if only the lead space pirate was a Ferengi teaching his alien comrads about the Rules of Acquisition? Hmm... Anyway, I enjoyed most of the episodes, especially the season finale! WOW!
    Season 2: The first four episodes are great, then... wow... it really fell apart, didn't it? Fortunately, the show returned to good, quallity episodes with 2-13 "Dawn," and from there on out we saw great episodes. "Regeneration" provided for some heated debates among the fans, but I thought it was a good move. It's a one-shot episode that ties into First Contact: brilliant.
    Season 3: The Xindi saga is by far the best ongoing plot on the show.
    Season 4: I've already posted in depth thoughts on each episode, two-parter, and trilogy. The conclussion to the TCW was a big let down, but the rest of the season was pretty good. The Romulan trilogy is my favorite story from this season. The Klingon two-parter was good, but the Klingon forehead issue was stupid. They could easilly have left that out without changing the episodes. After "Divergence," there was a hiatus before new episodes returned with UPN advertising them as The Final 6 Episodes! I was so excited about how the show would end! Orion Slave Girls, the Mirror Universe, Xenophobia, and a lost TNG episode. What? Those are the final episodes? LAME! Of the final six episodes, I only enjoyed "Demons" and "Terra Prime."

    There you have it, a review of every season of Star Trek.

  13. #73
    Chief Master Sergeant Phantom Limb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]


    Of all the pilots, I found "Caretaker" to have the greatest potential. "Broken Bow" comes second. What was wrong with the first season of ENT? Aside from one or two bland episodes, I thought it was quite good. Not great, but good. I also loved the season finale. Watching the show during it's original run, that cliffhanger left me floored. I couldn't wait for Part 2.
    i think its probably a personal thing but i didnt like the suliban from the off which doesnt help! and i thought that the whole season was bland, all the stories were tried and tested sci fi there was nothing that really stood out about it for me, i am a big trek fan and even i got bored by it, i stuck with it because, well, it was star trek.
    however having said that the s1 finale was good( that was the whole Archer trapped in the future thing wasnt it?) a great cliffhanger that was blown to s**t by the beginning of series two, haha.
    i enjoyed the temporal agent Daniels stories but i felt that it didnt fit in with Enterprise it felt like it should have been in one of the other treks and the idea that at the end of s3 Daniels would decide to send a barely functioning starship from a thousand years ago from his perspective to save all of time is frankly ridiculous. but season 3 was a serious low point in the history of trek IMO, so im just going to pretend it didnt happen


    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]
    "Regeneration" is deffinately one of the best of Season 2. It made the Borg scary again as they were in TNG and First Contact. While I liked the portrayal of the Borg on VOY, they lost their feat factor when Seven of Nine joined the crew. As for Archer getting the upper hand quite easilly in the first two seasons... that's because it was an episodic show for the first two years. You're longest story was a two-parter. We wouldn't seen stories spanning more than two episodes until the Xindi saga.
    agree, agree, agree, you have no idea how many times ive talked to my friends about how the Borg lost their teeth (they're a patient lot ) they were almost back to their "best of both worlds" scaryness in "Regeneration".
    and Q becoming a comedy foil in VOY annoyed me no end but this is neither the time or the place for Q grumblings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]
    Season 4 is just too plain late for the show to come into it's own. That should have occured in the first season. If a show doesn't have an audience by the end of it's first season, then it deserves cancellation. After two seasons, UPN was considering cancelling the show, so Berman & Braga decided to change the premise of the show to draw in a larger audience. It stopped the loss of viewership, but that's all. UPN wanted to cancel the show, but Paramount wanted it to continue for at least one more season. Paramount slashed the budget and practically begged UPN to renew it. Thanks to Paramount, we got an additional 22 episodes. Sure, the finale is crap, but that's just one episode, and let's face it... most shows have one really bad episode each season. One problem with Season 4 is that Manny Coto practically assumed that viewers had seen most of TOS and TNG and thus told a lot of prequel stories that would require you to have seen specific TOS or TNG episodes or be aware of the Star Trek history like Data's backstory for example. Season 4 should have been a climax to ENT, not TOS/TNG prequel stories. That's not to say that I was against all of the Season 4 stories.
    well i have watched alot of Trek (all of it in fact barring a few eps of TOS, not healthy for the brain box!) and i enjoyed series 4 the most of all of them precisely because it added to the Trek universe and drew from previous stories but i can see how it would alienate someone not versed in Trek history.
    but i dont think it was too late for the show to come into its own i thought the first two series of TNG were quite poor and that turned out to be my favourite show of the lot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]
    There were numerous factors:
    1. Rick Berman: The man is creatively burnt out and tried to double as a writer. He should have stuck to producing and give people more creative room then he did.
    2. Brannon Braga: Many people blame Braga as much as they blame Berman, but leave the man alone. He's a good writer when Berman's not breathing down his neck.
    3. UPN supported the show in the first season. Towards the end of the season, UPN got a new president: Leslie Moonves of CBS. Notice the lack of promotion and support during the third and fourth seasons?
    4. The fan campaign to get the show cancelled.
    5. The fans crying continuity violation, scaring off the casual viewers.

    Need I go on?
    see the continuity errors did really bug me to begin with but i just put all that to the back of my mind although i watched it thinking perhaps this was some alternate story of the federations birth and that all the temporal highjinks they got up to would be reversed or corrected to make the trek universe that was in the other four series exist, but hey it was a series based on star trek, so im there.
    there was a fan canpaign to get the show cancelled? that disgusts me slightly if im honest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post

    There won't be a movie. Star Trek XI is in production and will be a prequel to the original TV show, likely telling the story of James T. Kirk's first mission as Captain of the Enterprise.
    just a thought
    yeah i'd heard that, im not so sure if they will pull it off, i love the original cast films and im not going to gripe about the fact that it wont be the same actors but rather why a prequel? and if they must do a prequel why not Enterprise?
    To the Mandatorium!!!!!

  14. #74
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,108

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Limb View Post
    i think its probably a personal thing but i didnt like the suliban from the off which doesnt help! and i thought that the whole season was bland, all the stories were tried and tested sci fi there was nothing that really stood out about it for me, i am a big trek fan and even i got bored by it, i stuck with it because, well, it was star trek.
    I loved the Sulliban, they were among my favorite villians on the show. I'm still irritated over them being forgotten after Season 2. Silik in "Storm Front" doesn't count, because he's just one man. I agree that Season 1 is not stellar, ground breaking science-fiction. It's just a TV show, and it entertained me. That's enough for me. If the show bored you, why keep watching? I won't watch something, just because it's got the Star Trek brand name. For example, I saw a few episodes of Star Trek: The Animated Series, but it didn't grab me, so I quit watching.

    however having said that the s1 finale was good( that was the whole Archer trapped in the future thing wasnt it?) a great cliffhanger that was blown to s**t by the beginning of series two, haha.
    Yes, that was the two-parter with Archer trapped in the future. What was wrong with Part 2? Were you expected uber future ships or something crazy like that? Hoshi's semi-topless scene was extremely immature, but it was otherwise a solid episode.

    i enjoyed the temporal agent Daniels stories but i felt that it didnt fit in with Enterprise it felt like it should have been in one of the other treks and the idea that at the end of s3 Daniels would decide to send a barely functioning starship from a thousand years ago from his perspective to save all of time is frankly ridiculous. but season 3 was a serious low point in the history of trek IMO, so im just going to pretend it didnt happen
    The Temporal Cold War was a request by Paramount Pictures to add a future element to the show since it's a prequel. This is stupid, because despite being a prequel, it's still set in the future. Anyway, I thought the Temporal Cold War was a great idea, but B&B screwed up by not planning it out. A 12-episode arc spread across four seasons would have been grand and could have culminated in a two-parter where "Future Guy" finally steps into the 22nd century leading to a final showdown between him and Archer. Alas, it ended with Nazi Aliens from the future instead... As for Daniels sending the NX-01 back in time in the Season 3 finale... the Season 4 premiere explained why: Vosk, leader of the Nazi Aliens, went back in time to the 1940's and effectively rewrote the future. Daniels barely made it back to the 22nd century to send the NX-01 back to the 1940's. Obviously, if Daniels could have gone back in time in a 31st century ship, he would have done so. Why is Season 3 a lowpoint in the history of Trek? I thought it was the best season of Enterprise.

    agree, agree, agree, you have no idea how many times ive talked to my friends about how the Borg lost their teeth (they're a patient lot ) they were almost back to their "best of both worlds" scaryness in "Regeneration".
    and Q becoming a comedy foil in VOY annoyed me no end but this is neither the time or the place for Q grumblings.
    The Borg loosing their teeth on VOY didn't loose my interest. There is more to the Borg than being the boogeyman of space. You are aware that Q was a comedy foil on TNG as well, right?

    well i have watched alot of Trek (all of it in fact barring a few eps of TOS, not healthy for the brain box!) and i enjoyed series 4 the most of all of them precisely because it added to the Trek universe and drew from previous stories but i can see how it would alienate someone not versed in Trek history.
    but i dont think it was too late for the show to come into its own i thought the first two series of TNG were quite poor and that turned out to be my favourite show of the lot.
    I've seen most of Trek except for a few episodes here and there, but TOS is the one I'm least familiar with except for Season 3. I just think it was a bad idea to abandon ENT's established storylines in favor of telling stories that tie into episodes of a TV show that an ENT viewer may have never watched to begin with!

    In the 80's and 90's, you have the luxury of building your audience over two or three years. TNG, DS9, and VOY all were a bit by Season 3. ENT's audience was steadilly shrinking over the coarse of the series. The show began with 12.54 million viewers for "Broken Bow." "In a Mirror, Darkly, Part I" had 1.4 million viewers, which is when UPN cancelled the show, though they agreed to finish the season.

    see the continuity errors did really bug me to begin with but i just put all that to the back of my mind although i watched it thinking perhaps this was some alternate story of the federations birth and that all the temporal highjinks they got up to would be reversed or corrected to make the trek universe that was in the other four series exist, but hey it was a series based on star trek, so im there.
    there was a fan canpaign to get the show cancelled? that disgusts me slightly if im honest.
    Continuity errors? Like what? The whole idea for the Temporal Cold War is that it would lead into the Trek World we know. Keep in mind that Daniels is from 29th century Earth and makes references to the Federation in numerous episodes! We saw a possible Enterprise-J in "Azati Prime," and we saw Archer travel seven years into the future to see himself at the signing of the Federation Charter in "Zero Hour."

    just a thought
    yeah i'd heard that, im not so sure if they will pull it off, i love the original cast films and im not going to gripe about the fact that it wont be the same actors but rather why a prequel? and if they must do a prequel why not Enterprise?
    Star Trek XI was going to be a 5th TNG movie, but then NEM flopped. It was going to be a TNG/DS9/VOY mixed crew movie with select characters (not the complete cast) from each series, but then that got rejected. The next premise was going to be a trilogy about the Romulan War, showing how that lead to the foundation of the United Federation of Planets. It would have been set in the ENT time frame, but with different characters. Once this was rejected, ST11 was effectively a dead project until J.J. Abrams came along and convinced Paramount Pictures to make a prequel to the original TV show.

    Why a prequel? That's the movie J.J. Abrams wants to make.

    Why not a prequel focusing on ENT? Paramount considers the show a failure, and Abrams doesn't care about it.

  15. #75
    Major General Trek_Girl42's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Battlestar Galactica (B.C., Canada)
    Posts
    13,354

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    Hoshi's semi-topless scene.....that was really pathetic. But the rest of that episode was really good.

  16. #76
    Erin go Bragh mcbarr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Location
    IOA
    Posts
    3,088

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    Enterprise wasn't bad. I just think the ships in general were too advanced for their time, which messed up with Trek canon, especially regarding the Romulan Wars. The Suliban and the Xindi didn't make sense either. The series should have explored TOS races only. Season 4 was pretty good, though. Those three Vulcan eps were my favorites.

  17. #77
    Chief Master Sergeant Phantom Limb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    I loved the Sulliban, they were among my favorite villians on the show. I'm still irritated over them being forgotten after Season 2. Silik in "Storm Front" doesn't count, because he's just one man. I agree that Season 1 is not stellar, ground breaking science-fiction. It's just a TV show, and it entertained me. That's enough for me. If the show bored you, why keep watching? I won't watch something, just because it's got the Star Trek brand name. For example, I saw a few episodes of Star Trek: The Animated Series, but it didn't grab me, so I quit watching.
    well i kept watching in the vain hope it would get better, which it did slightly and also if i havent seen it all i cant form and spread an opinion in good conscience because otherwise i would be a big hypocrite judging something without seeing all of the show.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post

    Yes, that was the two-parter with Archer trapped in the future. What was wrong with Part 2? Were you expected uber future ships or something crazy like that? Hoshi's semi-topless scene was extremely immature, but it was otherwise a solid episode.
    haha, yes i wanted the USS Relativity to swing by and pick them up!
    i just thought the way he returned was incredibly lame and just too simple considering the human race had been wiped out and the earth was a desolate hell hole, but i liked the ruined future the fact that the absence of the federation led to the destruction of humanity somehow and the little nod to the Romulan Star Empire.
    and the whole trying to sex up star trek was just so badly done, that Orion slave girl episode was ridiculous, i dont know if youve ever watched Torchwood, it kind of takes the "lets sex up sci fi" philosophy to its zenith, its like it was written by a sexually confused fourteen year old!

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post

    The Temporal Cold War was a request by Paramount Pictures to add a future element to the show since it's a prequel. This is stupid, because despite being a prequel, it's still set in the future. Anyway, I thought the Temporal Cold War was a great idea, but B&B screwed up by not planning it out. A 12-episode arc spread across four seasons would have been grand and could have culminated in a two-parter where "Future Guy" finally steps into the 22nd century leading to a final showdown between him and Archer. Alas, it ended with Nazi Aliens from the future instead... As for Daniels sending the NX-01 back in time in the Season 3 finale... the Season 4 premiere explained why: Vosk, leader of the Nazi Aliens, went back in time to the 1940's and effectively rewrote the future. Daniels barely made it back to the 22nd century to send the NX-01 back to the 1940's. Obviously, if Daniels could have gone back in time in a 31st century ship, he would have done so. Why is Season 3 a lowpoint in the history of Trek? I thought it was the best season of Enterprise.
    Daniels is travelling through time isnt he? barely made it back? surely that implies it takes time to time travel but in s1 it was instantanious, it wouldnt take time for the changes to occur anyway it should be instantanious to, also remember when voyager had temporal shields that protected them from the changes in the time line, well surely what with all the factions in the temporal cold war something like that would have been developed? but i do agree a little bit of forethought could have really intertwined the whole suliban/ temporal cold war story well into the Enterprise version of events.
    yeah, season 3 was rubbish! are you mad? i believe you are
    it smacked of creative desperation to me i had expected them to tie up the loose ends with the suliban, and continue EXPLORING that is the point of the show, i just didnt see the point in the whole xindi story, the trek universe is big enough it just didnt NEED to happen the whole thing felt so tacked on. surely one of the pre-requisites of a prequel is to not add anything majorly new so as not to invalidate anything that has happened on the other shows.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post

    The Borg loosing their teeth on VOY didn't loose my interest. There is more to the Borg than being the boogeyman of space. You are aware that Q was a comedy foil on TNG as well, right?
    it didnt loose my interest either, yeah there is more to the Borg than being the boogeyman in space but they could have fleshed them out without stripping them of all of their mystery and scaryness which is what happened.
    the premise of the Borg is that they are so completely alien that there simply is no common ground there is nothing to relate to and they should be the undefeatable enemy much like the Daleks in Doctor Who, who are always stopped but always return with none of their deadliness and downright evilness removed, the Borg should have been Star Treks Daleks but they got beaten too many times with little or no consequences for the crew of Voyager and with all the innovation of a Russian caravan.
    yes Q was a comedy foil in TNG but he wasnt entirely comic, he was a rounded character, just watch "all good things.." you see that Q is all conflicted and deadly ernest at points, but in Voyager it was all the lame jokes with all of the other facets to his character removed.
    so there!

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post

    Continuity errors? Like what? The whole idea for the Temporal Cold War is that it would lead into the Trek World we know. Keep in mind that Daniels is from 29th century Earth and makes references to the Federation in numerous episodes! We saw a possible Enterprise-J in "Azati Prime," and we saw Archer travel seven years into the future to see himself at the signing of the Federation Charter in "Zero Hour."
    Daniels is from the 31st century continuity errors! theres too many.
    i mean in trek history not the series in itself, i liked the nods to the federation.
    stuff like first contact with the Klingons being in the 23rd century yet in Enterprise it happened in the 22nd, the Ferengi being in it let alone the Borg. i cant be bothered to list them all to be honest but rest assured they are plentiful.
    but like i said after a time i just stopped griping and enjoyed it for what it was, and then series 3 happened. but i bared with it and series four really pulled it back IMO.
    To the Mandatorium!!!!!

  18. #78
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    USA!
    Posts
    834

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    Ive been trying to watch all the episodes of Enterprise and the other Star Trek shows but i can't afford buying every single season.I'm trying my best though.Ive been watching Voyager on Spike TV channel, Enterprise on Sci Fi, Deep Space Nine on one of them (don't remember), and the syndication of TOS.I am liking Enterprise the most I don't know everyone says it was bad but i enjoyed it.Also, Best Buy always being out of stock of DVD sets isn't helping much. I'm big Stargate fan and only now getting into Star Trek.

  19. #79
    Major General Trek_Girl42's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Battlestar Galactica (B.C., Canada)
    Posts
    13,354

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by monkey_man132 View Post
    Ive been trying to watch all the episodes of Enterprise and the other Star Trek shows but i can't afford buying every single season.I'm trying my best though.Ive been watching Voyager on Spike TV channel, Enterprise on Sci Fi, Deep Space Nine on one of them (don't remember), and the syndication of TOS.I am liking Enterprise the most I don't know everyone says it was bad but i enjoyed it.Also, Best Buy always being out of stock of DVD sets isn't helping much. I'm big Stargate fan and only now getting into Star Trek.
    You know, since it sounds like you're not watching much of anything, perhaps you should check out TNG on Spike.

    I jest, very cool to hear of a new Trek fan, every series has it's merits and it's faults, glad to hear you're enjoying them all! What are your favourite episodes so far?

  20. #80
    First Lieutenant
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    USA!
    Posts
    834

    Default Re: Pro Enterprise Discussion and Appreciation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
    You know, since it sounds like you're not watching much of anything, perhaps you should check out TNG on Spike.

    I jest, very cool to hear of a new Trek fan, every series has it's merits and it's faults, glad to hear you're enjoying them all! What are your favourite episodes so far?
    Well your right lol I haven't seen many episodes mostly thanks to copyright laws taking them all off Youtube but lets not go there(some rule about talking about illegal video stuff on Gateworld).Ive seen the first half of season 1 of Enterprise in order and i liked it.Then the syndication episodes are showing like season 2 and i need to catch up I'm maybe gonna buy season 1 on DVD.I like the episode "Judgment" so far cause i like Klingons and shows with court cases on them. Yea your right people say TNG was the best and i have seen couple on Spike i saw the one that Q introduced the Borg it was cool.

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Star Trek: Enterprise Appreciation Thread
    By ElessarUSMC in forum Star Trek
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 16th, 2007, 07:30 PM
  2. WWE/ECW/TNA discussion and Appreciation thread
    By Pharaoh Atem in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: August 28th, 2006, 05:49 AM
  3. The OC Discussion and Appreciation Thread
    By lilslim142000 in forum General Television
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 7th, 2006, 07:45 AM
  4. MySpace Appreciation/Discussion Thread
    By NowIWillDestroyAbydos in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 10th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •