This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do the Ori even need the supergate?

If the Ori ships are so powerful, how come they don't simply come to MW just like the asgard do?

Well, perhaps the ancients had really crappy hyperdrives. It could be that in the alliance of 4 great races, the Asgard provided the Ancients with better, more efficient equations for hyperdrives, and since the Ancients met teh asgard after they left teh Ori galaxy, the Ori would have never had those equations...

Comment

Perhaps their galaxy is so far away that an invasion by ship alone would not be practical. Plus with a Supergate they can send reinforcements quickly and near the enemy territory rather then travel all the way.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

They may not be able to explain it to their followers where we are. Thats also assuming they know exactly where our galaxy is to begin with. The Ascended were hiding us from their view so to speak, so that may prevent them from being able to point in a specific direction and say head thataway. The gate provides a back door. Also it may be a way of adding to their mistyque to their followers. The followers are magically transported here by the power of the Ori, not under their own power.

Comment

how about so that we don't know where their galaxy is?

Comment

Their galaxy seems to be very far away.

It took the Ancients "1000 Generations" to get here. (Granted, we don't know if they knew where they were going.

And it's far enough to be able to hide one massive bunch of life signs from ascended beings.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko
              Well, perhaps the ancients had really crappy hyperdrives. It could be that in the alliance of 4 great races, the Asgard provided the Ancients with better, more efficient equations for hyperdrives, and since the Ancients met teh asgard after they left teh Ori galaxy, the Ori would have never had those equations...
              Being that the Asgard 30,000 years ago had to put their crews in stasis for travel, then compare that to the Alterrans who were travelling between galaxies over 50 million years earlier, plus Atlantis went to Pegasus 5/10 million years ago & that's much further away than Ida. Then I hardly doubt that would be the case. Now, sure I'd say they have the better drives than probably anyone else out there. However back then, no.

The simple reason why they need the supergate is because their galaxy is so far far away. In 'Avalon', DJ said that it took the Alterrans 1000's of years to travel to this galaxy.

If an Ori was to come in person, then they could probably do it in secs/mins, however they can't currently enter it without incurring the wrath of the ancients. So they are limited at what they can do themselves. There is probably a constant somewhere that says ships can only travel so fast. Even if the Ori used all the knowledge in the universe that they learned from watching uber advanced species in other galaxies, being that they are so far away to begin with from the MW, then it would still probably take a journey of years or at least months. However if it took the Alterrans 1000's, I'd say it'd take them at least between a few decades to a century to get here.

If you were to go by that timescale, even a lot less. It still takes too long to get reinforcements/support through, even say they used all their knowledge & cut it down to months. That means support is out of the way & so whatever is there will be on it's own for a long time. Whereas if they use a super sized stargate, they could send ships through in secs.

Comment

Except that we don't know where the destination of the Asgard stasis ship was, when the ship malfunctioned and whether or not it dropped out of hyperspace when it malfunctioned. We don't know how long it took the Ancients to travel from their galaxy to the Milky Way either, I think Daniel said that it took thousands of years. We also don't know how long it took for the Ancients to get from the Milky Way to Pegasus. For all we know, it took them a thousand years since Atlantis did have stasis pods.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                  Except that we don't know where the destination of the Asgard stasis ship was, when the ship malfunctioned and whether or not it dropped out of hyperspace when it malfunctioned. We don't know how long it took the Ancients to travel from their galaxy to the Milky Way either, I think Daniel said that it took thousands of years. We also don't know how long it took for the Ancients to get from the Milky Way to Pegasus. For all we know, it took them a thousand years since Atlantis did have stasis pods.
                  The ship was launched from the Asgard homeworld, obviously somewhere in IDA.

When the Alterrans left, he said they went on a journey that lasted. Then they finally arrived here. So this journey took them here, this wasn't a direct a to b travel plan. This means it obviously took them far longer than if they had made a direct path. True we don't know how long it took them to get to Pegasus, however I'd be willing to bet that when Atlantis finally does lift off. It'll do it much quicker than a 1000 years. When were stasis pods shown to be in Atlantis. As far as I can remember it was only the outpost & 'Aurora' that had them.

Then it goes back to the Asgard, when it malfunctioned doesn't really matter. Simply because they were already in stasis for the journey. So we know it was long enough to place them in suspended animation. Also it simply said that there was a failure in the navigation system & the ship was lost, then it drifted across the empty expanse between IDA & the MW until it arrived to where it ended up. So it seems to not have even had HS capabilities at all. Thus being that the Ancients were travelling between galaxies before the Asgard were probably even a twinkle in the universe's eye, I cannot possibly see how they could have given the Ancients engine plans 30,000 years ago.

Comment

If you lived in New York, and you wanted to travel to Australia, would you rather take a plane, or teleport there instantly.

Mystery solved.

Plus, supergates are just way cooler.
                    An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

Ancients did NOT get hyperdrives from the Asgard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Asgard were using sleeper ships 30000 years ago! The Ancients had intergalactic hyperdrives millions of years ago...

The Orii ARE NOT THE ANCIENTS!!!! they are extreamly religious to the point that any science is evil, when you are that religious your Scientific research is withheld, and therefore you dont accomplish as much as fast as normal civilizations. The Orii as well as the Ancients are ascended but ARE NOT all knowing, because the universe would be vastly diffrent and the show wouldnt exist at all if they were...

you make Giant super toilets... its going to take time to sail the ocean...
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

The Ori didn't seem to have a problem, creating those terribly advanced ships. They're really not that religious, they tell their followers to be, but I don't see the Ori turning down a chance to learn something new, because it might interfere with their religion. The Supergate is a practical application, nothing more, I'm here, you're there, what's the quickest route between points a and b, a really fast hyperdrive, or nearly instanteous transportation?

Comment

Ori are "comunists". Believe me, I know something about that. All that propagand about evil and "bad" technology and all this truth behind theyre People's back. 100% comunism!!!
                          My name is Olo - Hans Olo
                          Sorry for my english, I'm not

Asgard Greetings: Greeting
                          Borg Greetings: Lower your shields, Prepare to assimilate

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
                            The ship was launched from the Asgard homeworld, obviously somewhere in IDA.
                            We know the origin planet but not the destination.

When the Alterrans left, he said they went on a journey that lasted. Then they finally arrived here. So this journey took them here, this wasn't a direct a to b travel plan. This means it obviously took them far longer than if they had made a direct path. True we don't know how long it took them to get to Pegasus, however I'd be willing to bet that when Atlantis finally does lift off. It'll do it much quicker than a 1000 years. When were stasis pods shown to be in Atlantis. As far as I can remember it was only the outpost & 'Aurora' that had them.
                            Even if it wasn't a direct path, it wouldn't have taken that much longer since most of the universe is just empty space so there wouldn't have been many detours. If the Ancients had ships that can travel to Pegasus in 4 days millions of years ago, why was it such a big deal when Atlantis left? The Ancients in the Milky Way could have visited Atlantis anytime they want and vice versa. They found 10,000 year old Weir in a stasis pod.

Then it goes back to the Asgard, when it malfunctioned doesn't really matter. Simply because they were already in stasis for the journey. So we know it was long enough to place them in suspended animation. Also it simply said that there was a failure in the navigation system & the ship was lost, then it drifted across the empty expanse between IDA & the MW until it arrived to where it ended up. So it seems to not have even had HS capabilities at all. Thus being that the Ancients were travelling between galaxies before the Asgard were probably even a twinkle in the universe's eye, I cannot possibly see how they could have given the Ancients engine plans 30,000 years ago.
                            Even if that Asgard ship can travel 1,000 light years in a week, they would still need stasis if their destination was 5 million light years away. Even a one or two year trip through the void between galaxies is more than reason enough to put the crew in stasis.

Comment

Originally posted by Sauron18
                              Their galaxy seems to be very far away.

It took the Ancients "1000 Generations" to get here. (Granted, we don't know if they knew where they were going.

And it's far enough to be able to hide one massive bunch of life signs from ascended beings.
                              That is exactly right. Watch 'Avalon' to find out. To think that ancients/ori have crap hyperdrives is utter BS. The acnients made sure that the galaxy they picked will be far away enough not to be discovered by the ori. Daniel himself said that peguses is a galaxy very close to us in intergalactic terms and it takes the asgard nearly a week to get there.

Comment

Working...
                              X