Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened in Season 9? A few thoughts.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened in Season 9? A few thoughts.

For people who have put on such a fantastic show for so many years, TPTB really misjudged the fans this last season.

I'm not in the television industry, but it seems pretty obvious to me that if you are going to lose one of the most beloved and main characters from a long running show, that you would at least keep the character fresh in audiences mind to lessen the sting.

We all understand that RDA had to put his little girl before the show. None of us here would do differently. However, that doesn't stop the writers from mentioning the name of Jack O'Neill. That doesn't stop them from having Sam mention his name in a more personal context then just saying that he was the one who had the knowledge of the ancients. We understand his lack of presence on screen. What we don't understand is his total lack of presence on the show, and in Sam's life. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever, if the TPTB want to keep long time fans. All of the other main characters are there, it's not like they got rid of everyone and did another spin off. It simply makes no sense for characters who have known and loved Jack O'Neill for so long, to never mention him. To never talk to him on the phone. Or talk about him to each other.

It also makes no sense to end season 8 with Jack telling Sam he'd always be there, and them sitting beside each other, obviously together in some way, and then have the only personal interaction that Sam gets from anyone be an almost kiss from Martouf. What in the world?! That makes absolutely zero sense for any of the characters. If they didn't want to put Sam and Jack together, then they shouldn't have. But Threads happened. The end scenes of season 8 happened. For goodness sake their characters got in on in another demention. All of this is part of the story they wrote. They created it. Why did they ignore it in season 9? There's no reason for it.

Another thing I don't get is why Sam isn't the leader of SG-1. Fans love her! She's got the experience and know-how, and they pushed her out of her rightful place and put in a stranger that had no gate travel time whatsoever. How is this going to be endearing to the fans? Mitchell's an okay character, but we didn't love him. We didn't think that he was more important than Sam.

There's also a total lack of personal stories for the characters. Personal stories have been a driving force of the show since it's inception. Things that have to do with their hearts, and not just their heads or their braun. Daniel joined SG-1 in the first place because he was trying to find his wife. Nothing more personal than that. Te'alc's story with his wife and Rayaak was an integral part of his character. Now he barely mentions them. Sure they showed him fighting for a cause, but it wasn't his own cause. It was always for the greater good. Sam's relationships have always been a big part of her. With Jack, with Pete, with her father, with Cassie, with Janet, the list goes on. They took all of those people away from her at once. Sure they mentioned Cassie at the beginning of the season, but that's it. She never really factored in to the story. Jack is gone and we have no resolution with that at all. Janet is dead. Her father is dead. Pete is gone (thank TPTB!). Sam has no one to sit and shoot the breeze with. No one to love her. None of them do. Not really. Not like they used to.

I can understand how it's difficult to come up with fresh stories when they've been on the air for so long. But why did they have to take all of the heart out of the lives of the characters, and leave only plot? If the show had been this way from day one it would make some sense, but that's not how it has been.

How could they believe that any of this would be endearing to the fans, and have us coming back for more? Some loyalists hung on for last season, but patience is rapidly waning. When characters we know and love are being pushed aside, being put in life and death situations, and other characters who are supposed to love them. Who promised they'd always be there, aren't there. They don't even call. They aren't even factored in to the script. Then we know we've lost our show. Because it's just not like it used to be.
    SG1_Jag Fan

They were using season 9 to introduce a new enemy. Season 8 in general was the season to tie up loose ends. I think the season went well. Yeah there could of been a little more to the characters but there was a lot to introduce. Having only 20 episodes to introduce the Ori and tend to the normal comings and goings at the SGC really isn't much time. The 'missing' characters are in the story still, they are just in the background. I am sure TPTB would have a lot more detail but that wouldn't be practical.
    "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
    The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Jack O'Neill made an appearance in Avalon part 1 and Origin.
      Landry was on the phone to him in Beachhead.
      Dr Frasier mentioned him in Ripple Effect.

And those are just off the top of my head.

Now this season,
      Spoiler:
      He's appearing in 200, The Real World, The Return parts 1 & 2 and another SG-1 ep in the later half.

The issue of Jack and Sam was left up in the air- never specifically telling us what happened. This means they can go back to it at a later date.

I'm sorry you're not still enjoying the show, but you're definately not speaking for everyone. Your post makes it sound like that's how we all feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
        Jack O'Neill made an appearance in Avalon part 1 and Origin.
        Landry was on the phone to him in Beachhead.
        Dr Frasier mentioned him in Ripple Effect.

And those are just off the top of my head.
        True, but barring the comment that Dr. Frasier made in Ripple Effect (great episode btw! Until Sam almost kissed Martouf!) none of those were personal situations. And even Janet's comment wasn't all that personal.

When an audience misses a character, most of the time the part that they miss isn't their command strategy, but them as a character, personally. Do we feel the presence of Jack when when Landry is on the phone with him talking about logistics? I know I don't. I'd rather see Sam or Daniel or Te'alc on the phone with him talking to him as a friend. Asking about him on a personal level. We know he's an accomplished soldier, but so is everyone else on the show.

The Sam and Jack issue was left up in the air until Sam almost kissed Martouf. How can she be with Jack and even attempt to do that? It doesn't make sense.

Yes they were introducing and new villain, but it takes 30 seconds of a 42 minute show to put a little bit of heart into it, and give us some personal interaction between the characters.

I also want to add, that I don't necessarily think that RDA needs to come back, or he will save the show. I just think the heart needs to be put back into it. I don't mind the new people. Vala and Mitchell crack me up. I just want the characters who have been established and that the audience loves, to be honored the way they should be.
        Last edited by SG1_JAG Fan; 09 August 2006, 01:56 PM.
        SG1_Jag Fan

Comment

Sorry, I'm gonna have to disagree.

I personally find mentions of O'Neill a bit cheesy and obvious, and all his little cameos in season 9 have left me thinking "What on Earth was the point of that?"

There is also the fact that the producers probably want the fans to connect with Cameron, bring up Jack each episode is no way to do that.

I'm not a shipper, and I never will be. The Jack and Sam scene was nice, but I hope they don't bring it up again. Jack's out of the show... time for Sam to move on.
          An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

Teal'c also mentioned O'Neill in The Ties that Bind.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
              Teal'c also mentioned O'Neill in The Ties that Bind.

Again, not really on a personal level that I can remember. It's not just that. There are other things that took the heart out of the interactions on the show. The friendship edge is gone between the main three. Maybe the plot is too big to show that side of the characters, but I think the show is suffering for it. Season ten has been more visually exciting, and Vala has been an interesting addition, but I want my Te'alc, Sam, and Daniel back. Even if we can't have Jack.
              Last edited by SG1_JAG Fan; 09 August 2006, 03:00 PM.
              SG1_Jag Fan

Comment

I'm a non-shipper so I don’t have any opinion on them putting Carter and O’Neill together. But I do think TPTB seriously underestimated the longtime fans love of the Classic Characters. Sure there are some longtime fans that love the new people but I still think it was a pretty devastating mistake to dismiss, discard and otherwise minimize the Classic Characters in an attempt to artificially prop up their New Characters and their New Show.

If they had kept the Classic Characters the cool, strong and important characters they had always been (and kept Stargate the great action\exploration and adventure show it had always been) and then brought in the new people slowly so that the Classic Characters and we the fans could learn about them, get to know them and decide that we like them overtime (as they did good and important things on the show helping our Classic Heroes) then I think there would not have been so much resistance or the slide in ratings we have been seeing since mid S9.

So, if they had kept the focus on SG-1 the team and brought in the new "we-dont-know-who-you-are-and-dont-really-care-at-this-point" characters slowly so we could get to know who they were and decide ourselves (as opposed to TPTB telling us) that we cared about them then things would have worked much better IMHO.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Dude its a hsow get over it... BTW SEASON 9 is Going down as one of the best seasons of Stargate history.. I PERSONALLY LOVED IT, as do most of the fans. except the minority which no matter what always complains.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic
                    Dude its a hsow get over it... BTW SEASON 9 is Going down as one of the best seasons of Stargate history.. I PERSONALLY LOVED IT, as do most of the fans. except the minority which no matter what always complains.
                    Most fans do not love it.

Unfortunately (and I really do mean that), viewership has dropped dramatically.

The ratings/viewership over Season 9, dropped steadily throughout Season 9 and then, the viewership dropped more than 25% from the end of Season 9 to the beginning of Season 10 (from GW's article links via the front GW home page)... and the viewership is still dropping with each successive episode in Season 10.

It's really too bad ... really too bad... that The 'New SG-1' wasn't presented as it's own show, with it's own name. Perhaps it would have found it's own viewership - instead of creating a schism in the Stargate fanbase between many of those who love the original team and those who wanted new folks as the central stars.

Perhaps Mitchell/BB and Vala/CB could have been the central main stars in a new Stargate series that would have created it's own wonderful, dedicated fan base. And those who still wanted more of the original characters in center stage wouldn't feel cheated every time they try to watch an episode.

I'm one of the folks who loved the show through Seasons 1-8, and it's now so dispiriting to get excited about a new episode of SG-1, but then when it airs... it's a different show.

Lots of folks have tuned out. At what point will the viewership fall to the point that it won't be renewed? We have no way of knowing.

No matter how low the viewership falls, there will still be some folks who steadfastly adore the New Version.
                    Last edited by gategeologist2; 09 August 2006, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Well I still like it.

I guess I'm just easily pleased... *shrug*
                      Son, do you know what colour this phone is?
                      - General Hammond

Comment

I kinda just miss the wonder. Or maybe it jumped the shark, or got lost in the budget. Remember way back in the 90's when it was all about a question.. It can take you a Million Light years from home.. but can it bring you back? It's like the story writers and the special effects people got a messy divorce and take pot shots at each other now. Although I loved "The Storm and The Eye" too bad New Orleans had to experience that just a short while later.. very prophetic.

And last year when the removed the titles and theme music just to be like Lost? I guess they got their wish.

This would never happen, but the only way I could see to save the show would be, ironically to "loose the gate" or maybe have a crisis where the entire gate system was shutting down little by little, it was never designed to last forever.

At some point the Asgard also need to have their moment and pass beyond.. they shouldn't outlive or outlast the goofy humans.. whatever happened to their genetic crisis? If Ascension wasn't in the cards for them.. what of their fate? I really thought the replicators offered them a way out.. a blending of organic and nanite technologies.. yet incompatible with our corner of the universe... perhaps the quantum string environment would simply errode their make up over time, and they had to leave.

They've also long over played the secrecy thing.. why not let it take flight and ease humanity into a solar or galactic community like that in 2010 only today.. we're way beyond the X-Files plausible deniability distortion field.

And frankly I thought Jack was going to become ambassador to the Asgard home world.. wouldn't that make an interesting return.. the Asgard are dying.. they have to leave.. but they send Jack back.. along with a carefully metered set of documents to help humanity at times of its greatest need.. unfolding their secrets would take wisdom and time.. and naturally if the gate system is failing.. Atlantis would be at risk.. Earths battle cruisers would become more and more star bound..

Now as for Atlantis.. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The City itself has more in common with the New Atlantians than the original Ancients.. and it should not have a mere custodian but a higher intelligence itself.

During the first awakening.. I thought the City was opening a sleepy eye and rescued itself by rising from the ocean floor to save the expedition.

In a very true sense most cities share a symbiotic relationship with its inhabitants. After 10,000 years the City would be both wise, and possibly growing fraile with Age.

It might never fly again.. but the stories it could tell.. the lessons it could dispense.. and the divided loyalties it might have between the Ascended and the New Lantians.

And Atlantis itself had a culture and certainly supported diverse opinions and ways of life, courts, arts, libraries.. teaching devices like Jack O'Neill encountered.. come on guys didn't you ever see Star Trek "Where No Man has gone Before" not that I buy into recycling old story ideas.. but between SG1 and Atlantis in the same season?

Ok how about Biology.. suppose just visiting Atlantis repaired all defects in your DNA.. or extended your life immeasurably.. to whom would it be fair to grant passage? Who might abuse it?

The ZPM has become a limitless power source.. yet today we live in an energy starved world.. and they don't even budget its power?

Surely opening the gate between galexies should chop off a tenth of a perecent of its total capacity each time.. maybe they have a wall clock with a countdown of how many more times they could open the gate.

Before it was gone.

How do you build a ZPM? what did the Ancients do.. could the New Lantians and the City itself help build one.. is it easy.. does it take thousands of years.. and why did they feel they had the arrogance to splurge that much power to travel between galaxies.

Want a spin off show.. leave Weir 10,000 years in the past.. a savage among gods.. or people who thought they would be gods.. witness the first Ascension.. the aftermath.. the deciding of rules.. the breaking of them.. the fallout.. the rise of the Wraith.. forget all that timeline stuff.. in the new multiverse its meaningless anyway.. well it had/has lots of potential still.. but I fear the people who approve stories are no longer really interested.

Comment

Personally, I thought Season 9 was one of the best SG-1 seasons ever. And I've been a fan of the show since Season 1. I liked the new characters, the new enemy, and thought the stories told were very well done. Nothing will ever change that.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

and thsoe ratings are? Accurate? I donttake peoples words for things now, so im not taking your word for it... I think Sg1 is doing alot better than the ratings are telling us. And personally I dont care, because I as with most fans am pleased. the minority of fans are displeased and thats where I place 90% of these anti season 9 threads anti season 10 anti browder anti black anti RDA's kids, and bad rating threads.. and don't say their not realted... 90% of these threads blame the bad ratings on Browder, Black, the Orii(which i dodnt understand this is GREAT) writing(which is also terrific!!!) or No Richard Dean Anderson... and 100% of these all say BRING BACK RDA... as if he doesnt have a life of his own... He's quit the show, we'll miss him, but the show is doing fine. Strong writing, strong characters, strong story line.. .Season 9 was a great season as good if not BETTER anyother SG1 season.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic
                              Glad you enjoyed it.
                              But that "best season in Stargate history" dropped in ratings DURING that season and the drop has continued into this season likely due to that season. So maybe not everyone agrees.

EDIT: Wow I really should have read the next post. Now I feel so inadequate .... what gategeologist2 said.
                              EDIT: I see it didn’t help. Ok if the ratings don’t matter when they don’t agree with your opinion then they don’t matter when they do agree with your opinion. Luckily or unluckily for TV ad execs and TV show producers they have their own opinions that do say the ratings count.
                              Last edited by AGateFan; 10 August 2006, 01:08 AM.
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                              X