This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Older Powermacs

I have decided to invest in a Powermac. The one I really want is one of those old big ones with the monitor built in, but I cant remember the model number. Does anyone here know what Im laking about?
    [email protected]
    http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
    One nation under dog
    There of which I stand alone
    A face in the crowd
    Unsung, against the mold
    Without a doubt
    Singled out
    The only way I know

I know what you mean. Those really big 'box' style ones. I'm not quite sure of the model numbers but they are worth a heap of money. I think their model is a P[number here] or something simular to this!
    __

__

Comment

I dont mean the ancient apple classics or anything (they were beige colored and had a built in floppy drive).

The ones i mean look a bit more like the current macs, ie, they had sections of translucent colored plastic, they had vent holes and sleek shapes, they HAD NO FLOPPY DRIVE??? ect.
      [email protected]

One nation under dog
      A face in the crowd
      Unsung, against the mold
      Without a doubt
      Singled out
      The only way I know

Comment

Oh, the previous version of the iMac/PowerMac? You might be looking at a PowerMac G4 or G3 processor. Or an iMac with a G3 processor.
        __

__

Comment

Thanks man Ill google those and check it out!
          [email protected]

One nation under dog
          A face in the crowd
          Unsung, against the mold
          Without a doubt
          Singled out
          The only way I know

Comment

Imac! Thats The One! Thanks Anubis!
            [email protected]

One nation under dog
            A face in the crowd
            Unsung, against the mold
            Without a doubt
            Singled out
            The only way I know

Comment

The only Imacs apples webside seems to recognise is the the new dome ones with flatscreens. Do compy places still sell the older ones?
              [email protected]

One nation under dog
              A face in the crowd
              Unsung, against the mold
              Without a doubt
              Singled out
              The only way I know

Comment

Or, the eMac...a slightly different version of the iMac designed for educational markets (i.e., classrooms). You might only be able to buy those from educational vendors, though. Slightly different internal configurations, but basically the same shape as the built-in iMacs, but only available in white.
                Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                once done, cannot be undone...
                brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

I think the original Imac is my choice, although I wonder what they were thinking when they opted to not include a floppy drive???
                  [email protected]

One nation under dog
                  A face in the crowd
                  Unsung, against the mold
                  Without a doubt
                  Singled out
                  The only way I know

Comment

That users don't need one? I stopped using floppy disks c. 1993.

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                      That users don't need one? I stopped using floppy disks c. 1993.
                      Apple made a bold move by getting rid of the floppy drive, but as usual they moved the market forward. I haven't used floppies for years, and now you can't buy a new Mac without a DVD burner.
                      Tripudire est irritus
                      Jumping is useless

Nu ani Lunatas
                      We are the Mooninites

Comment

Floppy drives are poor and crappy. I've never actually used them and I can't believe some people still do. Apple really did move the market up quickly and they do some great products.
                        __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
                          The only Imacs apples webside seems to recognise is the the new dome ones with flatscreens. Do compy places still sell the older ones?

I have a dome one, and they are wonderful. High spec, fast and it has never crashed and I have never had to reboot since day one except for software updates or installations. With Windows, there isn't a day that goes bu without an error!
                          __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
                            Unless you're going for an eMac, I think the only iMacs you can get new these days are the dome ones with the flat screens on top. You can still get the older, colored iMacs on ebay and through classifieds. Or you could check a local refurb or repair shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                              I have a dome one, and they are wonderful. High spec, fast and it has never crashed and I have never had to reboot since day one except for software updates or installations. With Windows, there isn't a day that goes bu without an error!
                              I've been using my 12" PowerBook G4 for about a year, and it's great. Macs have some of the brightest, clearest monitors I've ever seen. I've heard that Apple uses LG monitors.

I have, however, managed to crash it a few times, but I'm a power user. I like using massive amounts of processor power and poking around under the hood. But otherwise, they're a lot more stable than PCs.
                              Tripudire est irritus
                              Jumping is useless

Nu ani Lunatas
                              We are the Mooninites

Comment

Working...
                              X