How to build organic ships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to build organic ships?

Probably been discussed before but i couldn't find it. Has somebody ideas how you build an organic ship?

Originally posted by tobi
    Probably been discussed before but i couldn't find it. Has somebody ideas how you build an organic ship?
    Yeah, you grow it

Only way I can think of

Comment

Hull is organic, but they still need to build engines, hyperdrive, broadside cannons, darts,... Or are these components also organic?

Maybe they just put those systems in place and then hull grows around them. Ship actually builds itself.

Comment

Thats what i was thinking!

Comment

Think Yuuzhan Vong

They've got a lot of Biotech. And by "a lot" I mean everything.

(More Specifically Here, under Starships)

Comment

I think the core systems of the ship are mechanical. They basically build a framework to hold everything and then grow the ship around and through the frame, like vines on a lattice. Or kudzu! Man that stuff is crazy. Look at some of the pics further down the article if you've never seen it. That's it! The wraith use genetically engineered kudzu to grow their ships.

Comment

No reason why it cant all be grown.

I imagine bio-ships are either grown or birthed.

Hyperdrive etc could be grown using metals from the organics bloodstream etc i'd believe.
              Matthew
              Shields at full. Ready main rail guns. Ready all missile batteries.

Comment

I thougt of asexual reproduction as well, but with non organic parts in it it's close to impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by tobi
                  I thougt of asexual reproduction as well, but with non organic parts in it it's close to impossible.
                  That would be kool to see, a hive ship giving birth to another baby hive

Comment

Well the first thing you do to make your own little hive is plant it. I would suggest a fairly large plant pot as hives tend to be a tad large. Next, make sure the roots of your hive have plenty of room to grow, make sure your hive gets plenty of water and sunshine and within 10,000 years BOOM! your own little hive for you to fly around until an Earth ship blows you up

The End

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

What you say may have some sense in it actually- where to hive ships go when all the lovely Wraith are in hibernation? They land on some planet the whole time- perhaps that how they do start growing off the planet life force while all additional mechanics are added as said above, also probably,organic- whoever maintains the hive fleet it appears to be the Keepers of the Wraith kind so they may be the ones that start the process off- except its not a plant pot you would need-it's more of a planet pot you need??!
                      We are angels of death in black leather
                      Your demons without wings, we glide
                      We are angels in black with a hunger
                      Not your sheep to change or guide.
                      We are angels in the blackness for ever

Comment

ROFLMAO to both you guys

Comment

Originally posted by kaeyla
                          What you say may have some sense in it actually- where to hive ships go when all the lovely Wraith are in hibernation? They land on some planet the whole time- perhaps that how they do start growing off the planet life force while all additional mechanics are added as said above, also probably,organic- whoever maintains the hive fleet it appears to be the Keepers of the Wraith kind so they may be the ones that start the process off- except its not a plant pot you would need-it's more of a planet pot you need??!
                          thats exactly what i meant! honestly!

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

You DO realize there is a HUGLY MASSIVE difference between Biological and Organic, Methane is organic, some ceramics are organic, the computer you are typing from is probably part organic. Matter of fact, if your computer doesn't have any Organic parts in it or on it, I'd be pretty derned surprised. We're not talking Species 8472 Bioships here. They distinctly said Organic ships, not biological.
                            When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                            Zatnikitelman

Comment

I dont know if you guys remember or not but the Seaquest DSV was a organic ship. They build a metal frame work and everything and then used Nathan Bridgers formula to setup the materials in order to make a skin grow across the frame making the hule. I think this probably isnt to far fetched of a idea for something that would be in the ocean or on land but in space there is no oxygen for something orangic to breath?

Comment

Working...
                              X