This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack ONeil vs Jack ONeill

The jack o'neil in the movie is spelled with 1 L the jack o'neill in the tv show is, as we know, spelled with 2 L. So...whats with that? Are there infact 2 completly different people with remarkably similar lifes.
    (SG1 2x09)
    [O'Neill] "Alright, if you're going to go ahead with it, I want to make sure you get one thing right. It's 'O'Neill' with two 'L's' There's another Colonel O'Neil with only one 'L'--he has no sense of humor at all."
    OR is it that It was spelling error. Someone spelt his last name differently on the credits by accident & by the time they noticed it, it was too late...& thats why every now & then they make fun of the 2 L's

I personaly go with the 2nd reason becuase the idea of 2 different Jack O's doesn't make sence...pluse there are dozens of quotes that Put Jack ONeill in the movie where it was suposed to be Jack ONeil.
    (SG1 1x01)
    [Gen Hammond] “Kelwaski & Freddie yes, they were UNDER YOUR COMMAND ON THE FIRST STARGATE MISSION
    Is just one quote of many

They are the same person, as Daniel and Jack know each other at the begginning, and because of his Son shooting himself.

The first quote may be jsut a mistake, or a joke.
    "Fly your ship through replicator dominated space, repair whatever damage may have been done to the time dialation device, and activate it before the replicators can stop you"

Best.Thor.Moment.Evar

Comment

Hey Pandy and welcome to the forum!

I dont think it was a mistake. I remember hearing that TPTB wanted to differentiate the two Jack's because they were so different. So they gave RDA's O'Neill 2 L's while KR's only had 1. Its very subtle but i think it works well.
      sigpic
      By *E*K*R*

Comment

The series is 'based upon' the movie. You should look at them as two parallel universes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandy
          The jack o'neil in the movie is spelled with 1 L the jack o'neill in the tv show is, as we know, spelled with 2 L. So...whats with that? Are there infact 2 completly different people with remarkably similar lifes.
          (SG1 2x09)
          [O'Neill] "Alright, if you're going to go ahead with it, I want to make sure you get one thing right. It's 'O'Neill' with two 'L's' There's another Colonel O'Neil with only one 'L'--he has no sense of humor at all."
          OR is it that It was spelling error. Someone spelt his last name differently on the credits by accident & by the time they noticed it, it was too late...& thats why every now & then they make fun of the 2 L's

I personaly go with the 2nd reason becuase the idea of 2 different Jack O's doesn't make sence...pluse there are dozens of quotes that Put Jack ONeill in the movie where it was suposed to be Jack ONeil.
          (SG1 1x01)
          [Gen Hammond] “Kelwaski & Freddie yes, they were UNDER YOUR COMMAND ON THE FIRST STARGATE MISSION
          Is just one quote of many

I think it was a joke on the Jack from the movie, because he was really serious and a no BS kind of guy. just my 2 cents though.
          Last edited by OSUIvan; 01 August 2006, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Well there is a John "Jack" O'neill and a Jonathan "Jack" O'neil. They are both the same character but remember there is film canon and series canon. There are a lot of diffences between the series and the film e.g Sha're is spelled Shau'ri in the film, and Charlie is Tyler in the film.

"Alright, if you're going to go ahead with it, I want to make sure you get one thing right. It's 'O'Neill' with two 'L's' There's another Colonel O'Neil with only one 'L'--he has no sense of humor at all." -I think this was just a joke.

Remember Delvin's (the creator of the films) vision of the franchise is alot different from the SG1 writers.

This post is a good explaination of why they changed it to John "Jack" O'neill, and this entire thread explains the whole John O'neill thing if you are confused, and why Darren won't change the Omnipedia so it says John O'neill
            Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by NitroX infinity
              The series is 'based upon' the movie. You should look at them as two parallel universes.
              good point
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

@WAKO:
                thx for the links....so basicaly...NO ONE KNOWS lol

Comment

O'Neil is infact an alternate spelling of O'Neill. They are not two different surnames, being interchangable and correct to use regardless of which a person with the name usually uses. O'Neill however predates the single L spelling. Doesn't matter.

The John vs. Johnathan thing is more of an obvious difference. There was a thread recently, but I don't think anyone would agree in the end. http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=31702

Comment

Working...
                  X