X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Meaning

What in the world do these quotes mean?

1- A spark lights the flame but a candle will only burn as long as it's wick
    2- The river tells no lies, though standing on the shore, the dishonest man still hears them.
    3- If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago.

These are only a few of the mysterious quotes that we have heard from the Stargate universe. Post what you think they mean and if you have a different quote that you don't understand post it as well.
    sigpic

Originally posted by captain jake

2- The river tells no lies, though standing on the shore, the dishonest man still hears them.
    3- If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago.

These are only a few of the mysterious quotes that we have heard from the Stargate universe. Post what you think they mean and if you have a different quote that you don't understand post it as well.
    1.Passion runs hot but soon grows limp.
    2. It's all relative.
    3. To find the beginning of something do not look at its end.

Comment

1- A spark lights the flame but a candle will only burn as long as its wick
      The spark - ability, ambition.
      The flame - the action.
      The wick - willpower, focus.

It means that you can perceive things differently depending on what kind of person you are. If you are of the inclination to do so, you can find lies and hidden meanings that were never there.

I think it means that if you realize the means to your goal, then for all intents and purposes you've succeeded.
      [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Originally posted by Syera
        The spark - ability, ambition.
        The flame - the action.
        The wick - willpower, focus.

It means that you can perceive things differently depending on what kind of person you are. If you are of the inclination to do so, you can find lies and hidden meanings that were never there.

I think it means that if you realize the means to your goal, then for all intents and purposes you've succeeded.
        how do you know this
        sigpic
        Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
        Metal gear fan

Comment

I always assumed 'If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago.' Meant that if you see potential in something then you can see what it will become, like seeing a kid draw a simple picture and seeing talent then much later on in life he's a famous artist, that kinda thing.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit
            I always assumed 'If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago.' Meant that if you see potential in something then you can see what it will become, like seeing a kid draw a simple picture and seeing talent then much later on in life he's a famous artist, that kinda thing.
            Personally I choose to believe that the answer is far beyond anything us mortals could ever truly understand. I don't even think the writer who wrote it completely understands it.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Promethius30
              how do you know this
              I don't know.

Personally I choose to believe that the answer is far beyond anything us mortals could ever truly understand. I don't even think the writer who wrote it completely understands it.
              So in other words, the writer wrote a bunch of nonsense because he thought it sounded wise and semi-mystical?
              [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

It means what ever it means too you.

Comment

>>>No matter how easy it is to start something, it will eventually end

>>>Deceptive/evil people will hear/learn what they want to no matter what the nature of the info presented to them is.

>>>This means absolutely nothing (I think the writer was just BSing this)
                  MASSIVE SPOIERS TO FOLLOW: READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
                  Spoiler:
                  Snape kills Dumbledore
                  Spoiler:
                  Darth Vader is Luke's Father
                  Spoiler:
                  Rosebud is a sled
                  Spoiler:
                  Bruce Willis' character was a ghost
                  Spoiler:
                  The planet of the apes is actually Earth
                  Spoiler:
                  The two guys in Fight Club are the same guy
                  Spoiler:
                  Clark Kent is Superman
                  Spoiler:
                  What? You were expecting Stargate Spoilers?

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time for no good reason.

Comment

I think they mean;

Buy more candles

The dishonest man needs to see a psychiatrist

Call the fire brigade, your kitchen is on fire
                    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac; 01 August 2006, 05:19 AM.
                    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Comment

I seem to remember that each person's journey would be different. This to me implies that the answer to each of these questions would be different to each person and that one person's answer (although correct to that person) could be complete rubbish to another who looks at the universe in a completely different way.
                        I have thought about these questions for some time and have yet to make any progress that satisfied me (I am convinced that I can come up with an answer that will at least make sense to me). The most interesting IMHO is:
                        If you immediately know that the candle light is fire than the meal was cooked along time ago.
                        In conclusion I leave you with this:
                        How deep is the river if you cannot see the bottom?

and good luck with this journey that we call life.

Comment

Originally posted by Syera

I pretty much got the gist of the first two, but I never really understood the whole "Candlelight is fire" one. I like this interpretation of it, though.
                          sigpic

Comment

1 - Even the smallest of persons can make a difference. But if you remove the driving force of a machinery, it will ultimately fail (target the leader!).
                            2 - Those who are dishonest can corrupt even the purest of things.
                            3 - Everything has its own pace, do not despair if you cannot find the answer at once. Look for deeper meanings and not just what's on the surface.

Comment

If you have to be told, you'll never understand them.

They were heavily influenced by Taoist and Zen thought. If you need to be told the meanings of seemingly nonsensical saying such as these, then you're never going to understand them.

The whole point is to think on them and find out what they mean to you. Not ask for someone else's interpretation. Sometimes there is no point at all, merely the exercise of thinking about what is said is what is important.

Everyone has had a different answer for Oma's saying's. Everyone is wrong, and everyone is correct.

Chew on some of these for a while, and maybe you'll understand. Some of them I came up with myself, some are favorites from others:

"All is so many. All is but one. None."

"If you look to your watch, you have missed the moment."

"Do not dismiss the white noise. As it may contain every sound in the universe."

"In one gust, the last leaf decides. Gone."

"Thus spring begins. Old stupidities repeated, new errors invented."

"Industrious people build industry. Lazy people build civilization."

"If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both."

"All is one. One is everything. Everything is nothing."

"Perfection is finally attained, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

"In the waning light of day you see more clearly the things that are important."

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia." <-- That's one of my absolute favorites, I tell people that all the time. I hope they're my last words, right before "hah!"

"Even the mountain, strong and resolute, errodes away in time."

"If there is no self, then who's headache is this?"

"The point is not to understand life. The point is to love life."

"If you want to tell me that the stars are not words, then stop calling them stars."

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do, and a clever thing to say."

"Dying cricket. How full of life his song is."

"Attentiveness rather than efficiency. Gentle flow rather than speed."

"Everything the same. Everything distinct."

"The nightingale sings, the cat's tail moves. In a moment's time, all is silent."

"In one step a hundred crickets jump."

"The more one speaks, the less one says."

"When the end of your journey is in sight, you are farthest from it."

"Light without darkness illuminates nothing."

"Often, what we see is not what is truly there. The sun blinds all who look to it. Learn to see without looking."

"Searching in the night the moon lights your path. The moon is not the goal."

"If you walk the path in darkness, you need a torch to light your way. If you look to the torch, you fail to see the path. You become lost."

"What is heaped too high will spill out. Emptiness just fills."

And my favorite:

"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend." -Bruce Lee
                              Last edited by Bragi; 31 July 2006, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X