Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Plans for SG-1 stories post season 10?

Comment

Originally posted by SalR323 View Post
      Hello! Let me introduce myself too. I'm Sally Malcolm and I've written a few Stargate novels, including Stargate SG-1: A Matter of Honor, Stargate SG-1: The Cost of Honor and Stargate SG-1: Permafrost. With my writing partner, Laura Harper, I also wrote the Stargate SG-1: Apocalypse trilogy. I wrote a number of SG-1 and Atlantis audio dramas for Big Finish as well as the scripts for the Stargate video game Stargate SG-1: Unleashed. (It still freaks me out A LOT that actual Stargate actors have spoken words I wrote!!)

My new Stargate SG-1 novella "Behind Enemy Lines" is out this summer. It picks up where the short story "Off Balance" (in the Far Horizons anthology) left off and shows us what kind of trouble the cloned Jack O'Neill from "Fragile Balance" gets into when he's all grown up and looking for adventure... (Hint: Big Trouble)

Happy to answer any questions about the books in general, or mine in particular.
      I've got a question on the ending of the Apocalypse trilogy. The Sam and Jack from 2098 come back with the time jumper and change the past, preventing themselves from getting sent to the future. They then take the time jumper back to the war torn 2098 Earth they came from originally. That's not possible, right? Once the changed they timeline the past they were in had a different future. Sam even acknowledged it must be an alternate Earth, like we saw with the mirror. So they had no way to get back to the fight at all since they time jumper couldn't jump parallel dimensions, right? Or am I missing something?

Also, loved the trilogy! Any more plans for multi-book stories?

Comment

Originally posted by Lorne View Post
        Thanks for the replies, SalR323 and AstraPerAspera!

For SalR323:

1.) When you wrote the novelization for SG:A "Rising," had you seen the pilot yet or did you only have the script to go by?

2.) Is the "Rising" novelization a straight adaptation of the pilot or were you able to add supplemental material to the story, like expanded scenes or unseen character moments?
        Hi Lorne -- Yes, I had seen the pilot when I wrote the novelization--in fact I had it on DVD and studied it quite a bit. But I was able to add some scenes myself, which was necessary in order for the story to flow better in novel form. The quick cuts and visual story telling that works on TV doesn't work so well in a novel, so I did need to adapt how the story was told and add a couple of extra scenes. Not to mention, the deep third person pov we use in the novels allowed me to explore what the characters were thinking--which can only ever be hinted at in the show. Hopefully it worked!

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
          I've got a question on the ending of the Apocalypse trilogy. The Sam and Jack from 2098 come back with the time jumper and change the past, preventing themselves from getting sent to the future. They then take the time jumper back to the war torn 2098 Earth they came from originally. That's not possible, right? Once the changed they timeline the past they were in had a different future. Sam even acknowledged it must be an alternate Earth, like we saw with the mirror. So they had no way to get back to the fight at all since they time jumper couldn't jump parallel dimensions, right? Or am I missing something?

Also, loved the trilogy! Any more plans for multi-book stories?
          Well... Okay, so time travel is a knotty problem. But what you're saying is exactly what Sam anticipated happening. However, as it turns out, the incident on the planet that sent them into the future actually created a divergence point—that is a point in time that creates two parallel timelines, one in which SG-1 got home and one in which they didn’t. Sam and Jack from 2098 went back try and change their future, but the divergence had already occurred so they were still within their own timeline and therefore unable to impact anything that was occurring in the parallel timeline.

Of course, this is all speculation since time travel isn't possible! But that's our take on it. Like Jack, time travel gives me a headache!

I’m glad you enjoyed the series. Diana Botsford has a two-book series in the works, although the timing of that depends on her health issues.

Comment

Any Plans for SG-1 stories post season 10?
            Yes, we do. Diana Botsford's book 'The Many and the Few' is set post season ten--her health depending, we should be seeing that next year.

Comment

Well... Okay, so time travel is a knotty problem. But what you're saying is exactly what Sam anticipated happening. However, as it turns out, the incident on the planet that sent them into the future actually created a divergence point—that is a point in time that creates two parallel timelines, one in which SG-1 got home and one in which they didn’t. Sam and Jack from 2098 went back try and change their future, but the divergence had already occurred so they were still within their own timeline and therefore unable to impact anything that was occurring in the parallel timeline.

Of course, this is all speculation since time travel isn't possible! But that's our take on it. Like Jack, time travel gives me a headache!

I’m glad you enjoyed the series. Diana Botsford has a two-book series in the works, although the timing of that depends on her health issues.
              Heh, time travel is indeed tricky. They treated it different in the show depending on the story. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Yes, we do. Diana Botsford's book 'The Many and the Few' is set post season ten--her health depending, we should be seeing that next year.
                Awesome! I've really enjoyed her books. Sad to hear she is not doing well. I hope her health improves

Comment

Since we were talking about Unleashed, another thread has popped up asking about the timeline of events and the time travel aspects. Thought you might want to check it out. Unleashed thread

It's a shame that we wont get a resolution for the story. Stargate video games always leave us hanging...lol

The above thread spurred me to look up Sekhmut on the Stargate wiki and it says she was the source of the DNA for the Anna human / Gou'ald clone in one of the later seasons. I had totally missed that fact. Did that factor into your choice to use her for the game story? I don't think the two events contradict each other really (Sorry, I'm a continuity / timeline junky...lol).

Any chance you could post some info on how the later episodes would have played out or is that not allowed per MGM's rules?
                  Just a quick bump as I'd love more info on this story if possible

Comment

Hi Lorne -- Yes, I had seen the pilot when I wrote the novelization--in fact I had it on DVD and studied it quite a bit. But I was able to add some scenes myself, which was necessary in order for the story to flow better in novel form. The quick cuts and visual story telling that works on TV doesn't work so well in a novel, so I did need to adapt how the story was told and add a couple of extra scenes. Not to mention, the deep third person pov we use in the novels allowed me to explore what the characters were thinking--which can only ever be hinted at in the show. Hopefully it worked!
                    Thanks for the reply, SalR323!

Best wishes to Diana for a speedy recovery.

I'm really looking forward to reading her duology.

Comment

Is that still envisioned as being a bit of an on-going series like Legacy?
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I occasionally quote your blog on this forum (since you post the odd bit of Stargate tie-in news there) and I was wondering if you're okay with that. If you'd prefer I not do that in the future, please let me know and I'll cease & desist henceforth.
                        I don't mind in the least, as long as you cite me and my blog as the source.

Your story in the X-Files anthology was, hands down, the best of the bunch (even with the incorrect date stamp on the first page ). I would love to read an entire X-Files novel written by you.
                        Thank you! BTW, the date was correct in my manuscript. Someone somewhere down the line changed it for no compellingly good reason. If nothing else, leaving aside the internal dating of the XF episodes, there's also the reference to the historical event (the murder of Selena, which happened in 1995). I have no idea what happened there.

I'm listening to the Dragon Precinct audiobook now (I read the actual book years ago) and the British narrator is excellent. He really adds a flavor to the text that I guess I may've neglected to notice when reading it in my head. The story and characters are still just as enjoyable the second time around!
                        Thanks so much! I'm hoping to have Mermaid Precinct, the fifth novel in the series, out this fall.

And finally, I'm really looking forward to reading A Furnace Sealed whenever it gets released. I know you're working on it when your schedule permits it; I'm just anxious to read the sucker! No pressure, though.
                        Thank you again! Hoping to get it done this month, actually.....
                        Keith R.A. DeCandido
                        [email protected]
                        www.decandido.net
                        decandido.wordpress.com
                        Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk." ---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"

Comment

1.) Any favorite era of either series that you prefer writing in?
                          Nah, they're all fun for different reasons.

2.) Any favorite iteration of the SG teams that you like working with in a story?
                          Same answer, though "Sun-Breaker" has me itching to write more Carter-on-the-Hammond stories....

3.) Any characters that you enjoy writing the "voices" of in a story?
                          All of them -- in particular one of the joys of Kali's Wrath was the shift in tone depending on who's POV we were in, from O'Neill's free-wheeling style to Jackson's more verbose, academic, yet snarky style, to Carter's more polite style, to Teal'c's ultra-formality. Plus also the different POVs of Kali, Patel, and the Thakka.

4.) Any characters that you tend to avoid using, for whatever reason?
                          Not yet.

5.) Many of you have written more than one tie-in story in the Stargate universe -- do you try to insert any particular characters (original or canon) into all of your SG stories? Example: a character named Lt. Lou Tennent is featured in the background of all of your stories, even if it's just a one line cameo.
                          Well, I have a tropism for Carter and Teal'c. Not sure why that is. I also like seeing the greater tapestry of the SGC, though there are limits as to how much of that we can do...

6.) Piggy-backing on that question: is there any attempts at continuity between your own SG stories (Example: one of your novels references the events of one of your other novels) and/or the works of other Fandemonium authors (Example: since your novel and Writer X's novel are both set in Season Four, you throw in a brief allusion to something that occurred in Writer X's story)? I know this is sometimes discouraged in tie-in fiction and was just wondering if there are any Easter eggs we should keep our eyes out for.
                          Not yet, though you can assume the unnamed XO of the Hammond in "Sun-Breaker" is Franklin from the Legacy books.
                          Keith R.A. DeCandido
                          [email protected]
                          www.decandido.net
                          decandido.wordpress.com
                          Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk." ---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"

Comment

Thanks for the replies, krad.

Originally posted by krad View Post
                            I don't mind in the least, as long as you cite me and my blog as the source.
                            Thank you. I always cite you when quoting and try to include a link to your blog whenever possible.

Thank you! BTW, the date was correct in my manuscript. Someone somewhere down the line changed it for no compellingly good reason. If nothing else, leaving aside the internal dating of the XF episodes, there's also the reference to the historical event (the murder of Selena, which happened in 1995). I have no idea what happened there.
                            Sorry if I implied that you were responsible for the dating error -- most of the stories in that anthology were incorrectly dated on their first pages. In fact, in your story, Mulder and Scully watch a surveillance video with the correct date stamp given, so clearly the mistake wasn't on your end.

Thanks so much! I'm hoping to have Mermaid Precinct, the fifth novel in the series, out this fall.
                            I look forward to reading it!

Thank you again! Hoping to get it done this month, actually.....

Comment

Originally posted by krad View Post
                              Not yet, though you can assume the unnamed XO of the Hammond in "Sun-Breaker" is Franklin from the Legacy books.
                              Cool connection. I love it when tie-in stories sneak in little nods to other tie-in stories like this. Thanks for the info!

Comment

I really enjoyed the Apocalypse series, but I was left with some big questions after Hecate explained her devious plan... Hecate wiped out SG-1. Earth was destroyed by Apophis. Then the Wraith showed up flying Atlantis. So, Hecate went back and had SG-1 sent 98 years into the future, so she could use Jack to fly Atlantis for her.

1) How did the Wraith fly Atlantis to earth to begin with?
                                2) How did Hecate know that Jack had the Ancient gene?
                                3) How did she arrange for past-time Hecate to have SG-1 sent precisely into the future?
                                4) On the whole - admittedly devastated - Earth, there weren't any other people with the Ancient gene? Grabbing one or more of those people would be a whole lot easier than time travel to get SG-1.

Confused.

Thanks, Don

Comment

Working...
                                X