This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sabine Bauer
    Siler and his wrench? (I note a distinct lack of Siler & Wrench smilies)
    Hee! Rock. I was so happy to see Siler for a few seconds in this week's ep. Okay, if Siler and his wrench have a dynamic, then my vote is for Daniel and a ribbon device. It's an abusive relationship.

No, no rewriting of S6, at least on my part—I'm with you on Jonas and I loved that whole season. At some point I'd really like to do something with both Daniel and Jonas, because I thought their relationship was really interesting, just a little prickly and great fun. However, it's not going to happen at any time in the near future
    I actually started watching SG-1 at the beginning of S6 (hey, I didn't have premium cable in college), so I thought Jonas was cool -- for the longest time I couldn't figure out why everyone was so depressed about this Daniel guy. Then SciFi started showing reruns, and I got the picture. But I still think Jonas could contribute every so often. Can't we just use everyone? Jack, Mitchell, Hammond, Landry, Jonas, Vala ... Or is that asking a bit much?
    Beth
    http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
    http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen
      Can't we just use everyone? Jack, Mitchell, Hammond, Landry, Jonas, Vala ... Or is that asking a bit much?
      Uhm... Beth? That thing with the cast of thousands? It's Aida, not Stargate ::ducks and runs away::

Comment

Hi guys, once again, thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions.

My question is for all of the writers:

If you were ever asked to write an episode for either SG-1 or Atlantis, would you do it?
        Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM
          If you were ever asked to write an episode for either SG-1 or Atlantis, would you do it?
          Oh, gee, let me think...

I did actually talk to Brad Wright about pitching for SG-1 way back when, but it never got off the ground... But yeah, I'd be there like a shot!

Out Now:
          Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
          Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
          "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
          ---------------------------------------------------
          Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JMSwallow
            Oh, gee, let me think...

I did actually talk to Brad Wright about pitching for SG-1 way back when, but it never got off the ground... But yeah, I'd be there like a shot!
            It's good to see that TPTB were at least at one time open to the suggestion. I'd love to see any episodes written by the Fandemonium authors, I'm sure they'd be great!
            Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Not without Jack to play with, I'm afraid ...

Besides, script writers need to be totally collaborative. I'm far too much of a control freak to share!
              http://www.karenmiller.net
              http://karenmiller.livejournal.com

Comment

It's good to see that TPTB were at least at one time open to the suggestion. I'd love to see any episodes written by the Fandemonium authors, I'm sure they'd be great!

Me too… it would be better than the dross of last season by a country mile. I still think MoH and CoH should form the basis for the movie [if it ever happens…]. Certain fanfic writers [God bless them], both on this thread and everywhere else, have consistently understood, empathized with and portrayed the characters we know and love with way more insight than the PTB.

On the subject of Fandemonium and fanfic, any chance some of Sabine’s epic stories as Doc might make it into one of the books? For God and Country is the one that immediately springs to mind…

DON’T YOU SMILE AT ME LIKE THAT! THAT’S NOT EVEN A REAL SMILE! IT’S JUST A BUNCH OF TEETH PLAYING WITH MY MIND! Sig courtesy of AmberMoon… kneel before your God!

WWW.SUPERNANNY.US.COM. Log on. Or it’s the naughty chair for you.

Comment

If you were given the chance by Fandemonium to be involved in the first novel spin-off, what would you like to do with that spin-off? Set on a ship with a Stargate and etc.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I'm not a scriptwriter - which is an entrely different skill - but a story, hell yeah! I'd definitely want Beth in on the act since it is a team sport, and it would be great to sit back and watch the series writers dip their fingers into the pie and see what comes out at the end. But I suspect the writers have plenty of stories running around in their heads as it is, so, dream on
                    Sonny
                    www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                      If you were given the chance by Fandemonium to be involved in the first novel spin-off, what would you like to do with that spin-off? Set on a ship with a Stargate and etc.
                      Hi Elite,

Well, if the movie and spin-off series does happen, I think it would be a wonderful challenge to write the novelisation of both based on a script. Big screen novelisations are like merchandise in that they are generally released at the same time as movies, and the writer never gets to see the movie until after the book is at the printers, so that's a challenge in itself. Series, like Stargate, the novelisations come out a little later, so you have a bit more to play with, but it's still a major challenge, and I like challenges that I can get my teeth into. As to where I'd like to see any new series set, I'm not fussed because ultimately it's about the characters that inhabit that world, not where that world is set. If we can have another McKay, for example, the stories half write themselves.
                      Sonny
                      www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sonny1
                        I'm not a scriptwriter - which is an entrely different skill - but a story, hell yeah! I'd definitely want Beth in on the act since it is a team sport, and it would be great to sit back and watch the series writers dip their fingers into the pie and see what comes out at the end. But I suspect the writers have plenty of stories running around in their heads as it is, so, dream on
                        You just want to see what kind of ultra-snarky comments I'd put in their mouths. Dialogue is my favorite aspect of writing, so I'd definitely enjoy that challenge. But I'm not a scriptwriter either, and besides that, I think the show's writers are doing awfully well already; I won't hold my breath for the studio to ring my phone.

As for a potential spin-off, I honestly don't know what I'd do with a ship-based setting in terms of plots, but I'd probably militarize the characters a little more. Not in the sense that I'd want to eliminate civilians from the crew, but I often wish we got to see a little more of the military aspect of our characters. Totally my USAF bias, I suspect. It'd be tough to avoid creating Battlestargate Galactica, though.

And Sabine: Aida? That's what first came to mind? I was thinking Gone With the Wind or something ...

Beth
                        Beth
                        http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
                        http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

Luckily, TPTB are smart enough not to ask I'd probably say 'yes' and try to hoof it ('cos I try everything at least once ), but, as Sonny pointed out, script writing is a whole different kettle of fish from writing a book and it's a skill in itself. Which is to say that I'd more than likely fall flat on my face.

Originally posted by Katkin
                          On the subject of Fandemonium and fanfic, any chance some of Sabine’s epic stories as Doc might make it into one of the books? For God and Country is the one that immediately springs to mind…
                          I'm afraid no, for all manner of reasons. Firstly, pulling the stories off the net and forcing people to pay for them—and that's assuming anybody would pay—doesn't strike me as fair. Not least because in many ways writing fan fiction was about cutting my teeth as a writer (which is not to say that I consider that process completed—I don't think it ever is). Despite the fact that people always were very kind in their feedback, I don't believe the earlier stories in particular are of publishable quality. Of course, they could be revised, stylistically and otherwise, but there's also the fact—and this may be a little self-indulgent—that I've been there and I want to do new things instead of revisiting old ones. Finally, and certainly with For God and Country, the central premise is far too dark and too violent to pass muster. Keep in mind, one requirement for the tie-in novels is that they must be PG-rated. Having said all that, I'm flattered you asked

What might be interesting—and typically upbeat —is a kind of doomsday scenario. What if we, in our eminent wisdom, succeed at making this planet uninhabitable? I can see a rather dandy little colonization scenario playing out, with people being shipped off through the gate to various planets. There is precedent for this type of evacuation in the show itself, except the demographic of people selected would have to be broader—and what's the selection process exactly and how does it affect selectees and non-selectees; there's the first book! After that, following the fates of the colonies definitely could feed a novel or two

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen
                          Aida? That's what first came to mind? I was thinking Gone With the Wind or something ...
                          Oh, Ashley...

Sorry

Comment

What might be interesting—and typically upbeat —is a kind of doomsday scenario. What if we, in our eminent wisdom, succeed at making this planet uninhabitable? I can see a rather dandy little colonization scenario playing out, with people being shipped off through the gate to various planets. There is precedent for this type of evacuation in the show itself, except the demographic of people selected would have to be broader—and what's the selection process exactly and how does it affect selectees and non-selectees; there's the first book! After that, following the fates of the colonies definitely could feed a novel or two

What a seriously neat idea!!!!! Boy, you could have fun with that. Go, Sabine!
                            http://www.karenmiller.net
                            http://karenmiller.livejournal.com

Comment

Well, clearly I'd bring back Stargate: Infinity...

But seriously, folks; the first idea for a spin-off is of course a show set on a USAF or UN starship, but then how do you stop it becoming a clone of Star Trek or Galactica (as Beth noted)? I like the idea of a "Timegate" series, with a group of heroes lost in the past, or perhaps a "Renegades" saga about a team on the run from the SGC, cut off from all the usual cool tech and support system that the TV casts have (which, now I think about it, is a bit like Stargate: Infinity's backstory!).

To me, Stargate has always been about going places - the show's titular icon is a travel device, after all - and any spin-off would need to have that as part of its fundamental basics...

Out Now:
                              Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
                              Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
                              "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JMSwallow
                                Well, clearly I'd bring back Stargate: Infinity...

But seriously, folks; the first idea for a spin-off is of course a show set on a USAF or UN starship, but then how do you stop it becoming a clone of Star Trek or Galactica (as Beth noted)? I like the idea of a "Timegate" series, with a group of heroes lost in the past, or perhaps a "Renegades" saga about a team on the run from the SGC, cut off from all the usual cool tech and support system that the TV casts have (which, now I think about it, is a bit like Stargate: Infinity's backstory!).

To me, Stargate has always been about going places - the show's titular icon is a travel device, after all - and any spin-off would need to have that as part of its fundamental basics...
                                That's the beauty of the Stargate itself. SF stories, particularly those set in a contemporary time frame, often employ a device to transport characters (and the audience) from the known to the unknown: space ships to other planets, doorways to other dimensions or worlds of existence (eg, rabbit hole/wardrobe/mirror/ peyote etc ) or time. As a device, the Stargate allows access to all three, and as such has unlimited storytelling potential, regardless of where it is situated.

Atlantis, while it is an entirely unfamiliar environment on one level, is a very familiar part of our mythology. Same applies to the Arthurian legend. I suspect any third series might also employ a familiar yet unresolved legend as the basis for a new set of stories, while still linking back in some way to the Ancients.
                                Sonny
                                www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X