This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    I have to say I also love how Fandy is also still giving fanfiction writers a chance to get published. Susannah, how did Hall of Two Truths come about? Did you pitch to Fandy?
    "Hall of the Two Truths" started out as a "can I really do this?" challenge I gave myself. I'd written several short and mid-length fan fictions, but I wanted to see if could I manage an entire novel. I realized the only way I would know is if I actually tried. One of my favorite parts of Stargate was its roots in Egyptian mythology, so I decided to use the Book of the Dead as the framework for the story. And I wanted to set it in Season 5, because I always felt there was a lot of tension within the team during the first part of that season that hadn't been addressed. So I gave it my best shot. It was only once I had an actual, completed, polished (or so I thought...) manuscript in-hand that I approached Fandamonium. I figured it was a long shot, since I knew they typically didn't take submissions from un-published writers, but I decided the worst that could happen was that they'd say "no thanks." Needless to say, when they said they were interested, I was over the moon thrilled!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
      I decided the worst that could happen was that they'd say "no thanks."
      That was my philosophy! With most of my writing, especially the webseries. "The worst they can do is say no." It's gotten me to hit send a lot more than I used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Maelum View Post
        This question is more in regards to placement of the novels. I know halcyon is season 2 and brimstone and hunt and run are season 5, but I don't know what episodes they are between.
        Nevermind, I figured it out

Comment

Hello! Let me introduce myself too. I'm Sally Malcolm and I've written a few Stargate novels, including Stargate SG-1: A Matter of Honor, Stargate SG-1: The Cost of Honor and Stargate SG-1: Permafrost. With my writing partner, Laura Harper, I also wrote the Stargate SG-1: Apocalypse trilogy. I wrote a number of SG-1 and Atlantis audio dramas for Big Finish as well as the scripts for the Stargate video game Stargate SG-1: Unleashed. (It still freaks me out A LOT that actual Stargate actors have spoken words I wrote!!)

My new Stargate SG-1 novella "Behind Enemy Lines" is out this summer. It picks up where the short story "Off Balance" (in the Far Horizons anthology) left off and shows us what kind of trouble the cloned Jack O'Neill from "Fragile Balance" gets into when he's all grown up and looking for adventure... (Hint: Big Trouble)

Happy to answer any questions about the books in general, or mine in particular.

Comment

Hello! So cool seeing you all show up here

First off, the further adventures of clone Jack soundcawesome!

Second, you once mentioned on twitter you were hoping to finish SG-1 Unleashed as a novel. Any chance that might still happen?

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
              Second, you once mentioned on twitter you were hoping to finish SG-1 Unleashed as a novel. Any chance that might still happen?
              Ah, sadly not. We asked MGM but apparently the rights to the story are legally tied up with another company. So no dice, I'm afraid.

Comment

Aw, that sucks! I'm guessing that means you can't share any details on how it would have wrapped up?

Comment

Originally posted by SalR323 View Post
                  Hello! Let me introduce myself too. I'm Sally Malcolm and I've written a few Stargate novels, including Stargate SG-1: A Matter of Honor, Stargate SG-1: The Cost of Honor and Stargate SG-1: Permafrost. With my writing partner, Laura Harper, I also wrote the Stargate SG-1: Apocalypse trilogy. I wrote a number of SG-1 and Atlantis audio dramas for Big Finish as well as the scripts for the Stargate video game Stargate SG-1: Unleashed. (It still freaks me out A LOT that actual Stargate actors have spoken words I wrote!!)

My new Stargate SG-1 novella "Behind Enemy Lines" is out this summer. It picks up where the short story "Off Balance" (in the Far Horizons anthology) left off and shows us what kind of trouble the cloned Jack O'Neill from "Fragile Balance" gets into when he's all grown up and looking for adventure... (Hint: Big Trouble)

Happy to answer any questions about the books in general, or mine in particular.
                  No question at this time, but I would like to compliment you on "Permafrost." I thoroughly enjoyed that novella and I'm happy to read that you'll have a new novella available soon-ish.

Comment

Would any of you be interested in writing a completely new original Stargate book series? Another SG team, or another off-world base or etc?
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Lorne View Post
                      I would like to compliment you on "Permafrost." I thoroughly enjoyed that novella
                      Thank you so much, I had a blast writing that one. It came together so easily (which they don't always!). Hope you like the next one too.

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                        Would any of you be interested in writing a completely new original Stargate book series? Another SG team, or another off-world base or etc?
                        I've had a couple of proposals from authors along those lines over the years, but it's not something MGM would let us do. They're very clear that the TV characters remain front and centre in all the books.

Comment

Thank you so much, I had a blast writing that one. It came together so easily (which they don't always!). Hope you like the next one too.
                          I remember reading that one over the Christmas period when it was particularly cold (I think I'd gone to the coast for the New Year). It was actually really effective.
                          sigpic

Comment

I've had a couple of proposals from authors along those lines over the years, but it's not something MGM would let us do. They're very clear that the TV characters remain front and centre in all the books.
                            That's really disappointing to hear. ;( I love the TV characters, obviously, but would love to have seen some universe expansion.
                            sigpic

Comment

I agree, I always thought the books and comics were the perfect format to see the adventures of other SG teams.

Has anyone pitched Universe ideas? Or is Fandemonium not allowed to do Universe stories? I seem to remember they might not have had the rights for Universe at all

Comment

My book "Two Roads" featured a secondary SG team working with SG-1, going off-world to investigate when Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c weren't available. A few readers were actually really annoyed by the inclusion of the other team doing anything that SG-1 "should" have been doing. It was an interesting reaction, but it makes me understand why MGM would be hesitant to bring in something wholly new.

Comment

Working...
                                X