Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ask the Authors (Fandemonium)

Wow, this is turning into quite the party. Did anyone bring beer?

Hello to Sabine and Beth! What with Karen and Sonny too, I feel like I'm surrounded by talented ladies...

Quote Originally Posted by sueKay
    To all the authors: How were your first forays into the world of Stargate, and what published writing have you done before?
    My first fictional piece of 'Gatery was the short story 'Choices' in the SG magazine, a little mood-piece/flashback about Aiden Ford, but before that I'd done coverage of the show in journalist mode for a few media magazines. One of my coolest experiences was the time I got to spend on the SG-1 set back when they were shooting 'Double Jeopardy', interviewing cast & crew and generally just geeking out on the whole thing...

As for my other writing; I originally started out as a media journalist working for magazines like SFX, Starlog, Star Trek Monthly and the like, but I always had a hankering to be a creative writer. I got my big break when I sold two stories to Star Trek Voyager (which became the episodes 'One' and 'Memorial') and in recent years I've shifted more into writing novels, short fiction and scripts.
    Halcyon, my Atlantis novel, is my fourteenth book; I've written stuff as diverse as steampunk westerns for teens, Doctor Who audio drama, videogame scripts, movie novelisations and gothic science fiction - check out my bibliography Here.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Anubis Guard
    How did you all get involved in writing for Fandemonium?
    I called them up and said "hey, you guys looking for any writers?"

Quote Originally Posted by dipsofjazz
    I would like to know how difficult it is to stick to the show canon in your stories. If you get a great idea do you then have to cut it because, say, Jack would be out of character?
    This is part and parcel of writing in an established universe. You have to stick to canon as closely as you can, because any tie-in book has to serve the source material (in this case, the TV shows), not the other way around. Simply put, if a character acts out of character, unless there's a good explanation for it (taken over by a Goa'uld, replaced by evil twin, etc.) it shouldn't go in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by dipsofjazz
    Is there any character you find difficult to write, or do you find them all easy since we know them so well from the show?
    With the Atlantis crew, I felt like I *got* them all, but some made me work a little hard than others. I found Teyla and Weir challenging beacuse I think both of them have depths that haven't been explored enough on the TV show yet.

These are all great questions, thanks!

Out Now:
    Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
    Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
    "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Twitter

Fandemonium Author

Tee hee! James and his harem ...

At this point the only other author I've consulted with is Sally. I'm only just meeting these folk now, but who knows what the future holds?

Hi! First off, let me say that I admire all of you for your talentand your tenacity to stick with it.

As to a question, I was wondering if there was one scene above all others (in either show) you wish you could re-write, what would it be and why?

Thanks for visiting us and answering our questions too. Very cool!
    http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/Lauriel_01/Sigs/Iddoanything.jpg
    My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

I'm as excited to be in this thread as a fan at a con! Thanks, authors, for taking the time to talk to us.

Can you give us a rough estimate of your novel's journeys from Fandemonium's acceptance of your outlines to their publication?
    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Fandemonium Author

Hello there, James! Great to meet you!

Quote Originally Posted by KarenMiller
    Tee hee! James and his harem ...
    And thanks Karen! I now have visions of poor James in baggy, flimsy pants and a turban surrounded by the lot of us in same (which, in my case, is not something to wear around the water cooler, let me tell ya!). My life will never be the same again.

I was wondering how involved you all are in each others novels? Reading the acknowledgements in the novesl, alot of folk seem to all thank Tom or Sally but how involved are you all in helping your fellow authors get through the novel? Do you provide second opinions, a proof reading eye?
    I’m actually in a really privileged position here, because, yes, I do. I’m lucky enough to know—though in most cases not face to face—just about everybody, with the exception of Karen and James whom I only met here.

Up until about eighteen months ago, I lived in London and Sally (who’s a terrific lady and great fun) and I had an initial meeting that very quickly developed (or should that be deteriorated? ) into a monthly girls’ night out at that neat Turkish place in Covent Garden. At some point she asked me if I would be interested in editing her books, and I jumped to the chance—hey! It’s a great way of getting sneak previews! It kind of grew from there, and I ended up editing Reliquary and meeting Martha, Exogenesis by Sonny and Beth (the manuscript of The Chosen I proofread for the sheer fun of it), and Siren Song by Holly and Jaimie—who are terrific writers and, again, major fun to hang around with. I also know Julie, who wrote Sacrifice Moon, is an absolute riot, and whose Weather Warden series (which she publishes as Rachel Caine) has to be one of my all-time favorite reads. So, as I said I do feel very privileged to know all these very talented people and, in some cases, actually have a chance to work with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
    Can you give us a rough estimate of your novel's journeys from Fandemonium's acceptance of your outlines to their publication?
    Not sure if you mean time-wise or in terms of process, Tok'Ra Hostess. Time-wise, I'm probably the slowest ever—okay, I had an excuse for Survival: emigrating halfway through a book does kinda put a spanner in the works, but I didn't have much choice in the matter—whereas Julie or Sonny and Beth write so fast it makes your head spin.

In terms of process, roughly what happens is that, after the outline has been accepted, not only by Fandemonium but also by MGM (basically for them to make sure that it's within canon, does not conflict with upcoming episodes etc), you get cracking. After a while, Sally or Tom will come knocking on your figurative door and ask in a nice, unthreatening manner if you think you'll be finished on the deadline you've agreed on. Unless you're me, you'll say yes, and they wander off again, happy. Once the manuscript is finished, it goes to Fandemonium's editor. The editing process takes a couple of weeks or so, then you get back the MS and start on the revisions. Only after you and Fandemonium are happy with the revised version, the manuscript goes to MGM, where it'll be checked again for canon, style, rating, copyright issues etc. When MGM is happy, Fandemonium can go ahead and do the galleys, which then go back to the author for a final check-up (during which you'll always miss at least one typo, I promise ) And after that, at last, it'll go to the printers. So as you can see, it's a pretty complicated and involved process.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine Bauer
    Up until about eighteen months ago, I lived in London and Sally (who’s a terrific lady and great fun) and I had an initial meeting that very quickly developed (or should that be deteriorated? ) into a monthly girls’ night out at that neat Turkish place in Covent Garden. At some point she asked me if I would be interested in editing her books, and I jumped to the chance—hey! It’s a great way of getting sneak previews! It kind of grew from there, and I ended up editing Reliquary and meeting Martha, Exogenesis by Sonny and Beth (the manuscript of The Chosen I proofread for the sheer fun of it), and Siren Song by Holly and Jaimie—who are terrific writers and, again, major fun to hang around with. I also know Julie, who wrote Sacrifice Moon, is an absolute riot, and whose Weather Warden series (which she publishes as Rachel Caine) has to be one of my all-time favorite reads. So, as I said I do feel very privileged to know all these very talented people and, in some cases, actually have a chance to work with them.
    Didn't you write the first novel in the series though....?

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Fandemonium Author

Didn't you write the first novel in the series though....?
    Indeed

And the seventh The editing is an additional hat, which I hadn't banked on at all and which I'm enjoying immensely because, as with everything in this business, I find I'm learning an awful lot. Plus, I'm lucky enough to work with people who have the same, slightly bizarre sense of humor

Hi everyone

Didn't want to be the odd one out, so I thought I'd pop in and say hello...

I'm Sally Malcolm (aka Reeve), author of the SG-1 books A Matter of Honor and The Cost of Honor, and the novelization of Rising, the SGA pilot.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask away! I like to talk. In the meantime:

Originally Posted by sueKay
    To all the authors: How were your first forays into the world of Stargate, and what published writing have you done before?
    My first venture into Stargate was through writing (a lot of) fan fiction! But prior to these novels my only published writing was journalistic.

Originally Posted by Elite Anubis Guard
    How did you all get involved in writing for Fandemonium?
    I'm one of the directors of Fandemonium, so...

Originally Posted by dipsofjazz
    I would like to know how difficult it is to stick to the show canon in your stories. If you get a great idea do you then have to cut it because, say, Jack would be out of character?
    It's very subjective, and some readers might disagree with me, but I don't think I find it hard to stick to show canon. My thought process tends to start with the characters, rather than the plot, so I've never found myself thinking 'wouldn't it be cool if X happened, but darn it Jack would never do that'. I tend to think things like 'I'd love to see Jack deal with the aftermath of Abyss' and then work out a plot to make that happen. Hope that makes sense!

Originally Posted by dipsofjazz
    Is there any character you find difficult to write, or do you find them all easy since we know them so well from the show?
    I feel that I know the SG-1 characters very well indeed, and by and large I think I have a good handle on their voices and characters. But if I had to pick one of the team I think I'd have to say I find Carter the hardest to write. Much as I love the character, Sam keeps her cards close to her chest which makes her difficult to read at times. I hope I get her right, but I believe some might think I write her a little too emotionally.

Aside from Rising, which was a completely different experience, my first foray into writing the Atlantis characters is in a short story called "The Companion" which will shortly appear in the Official Magazine. I have to say, it was a lot of fun writing for characters I was so much less familiar with - but also a little scary!

Thanks for the great questions!

Sally

Well hello Sally. Here's a Q just for you. What was it like novelizing Rising? How different was it to the "Matter Of.." novels? Well..apart from being a helluva lot shorter and more expensive to buy lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SalR323
    Hi everyone

Didn't want to be the odd one out, so I thought I'd pop in and say hello...

I'm Sally Malcolm (aka Reeve), author of the SG-1 books A Matter of Honor and The Cost of Honor, and the novelization of Rising, the SGA pilot.

Aside from Rising, which was a completely different experience, my first foray into writing the Atlantis characters is in a short story called "The Companion" which will shortly appear in the Official Magazine. I have to say, it was a lot of fun writing for characters I was so much less familiar with - but also a little scary!

Thanks for the great questions!

Sally
    I bought the novelization of Rising just so I could ahve the complete collection of SGA novels (so far). I actually found that i enjoyed the read quite a bit.

My question: When writing the novelization how much leeway were you given to further develop the scenes and characters?

I thought you did a great job capturing certain moments much better in the book than the pilot did.

Well hello Sally. Here's a Q just for you. What was it like novelizing Rising? How different was it to the "Matter Of.." novels? Well..apart from being a helluva lot shorter and more expensive to buy lol.
    It was very different! Obviously I had all the dialogue and story already written, so most of the creative work came in translating the action into novel form. Then there was the inner POV that I got to play with, working out what the characters were thinking as they said the words that were in the script. And occasionally I sneaked in an extra scene - just because I felt it needed it (McKay pondering calling his sister was one, Sheppard crashing out after they escaped from the Wraith was another). The pacing for a TV show is a lot faster than you'd usually pace a novel, so sometimes it was necessary to put in a small transition scene.

In one sense it was less stressful than writing MofH or CofH because I wasn't wondering what would happen next, or how (if!) I was going to get to the end of the story. On the other hand, it felt like a huge responsibility - I really wanted to do a good job of capturing the episode in a way that did the show justice.

Was the length any issue? Sometimes, when I'm writing a script, I feel a pressure for a certain length. I mean, Rising was really short, so short that the font was increased in size.

Quote Originally Posted by Gate Geek
    My question: When writing the novelization how much leeway were you given to further develop the scenes and characters?
    Hi there

I found that it was an interesting line to walk. On the one hand, I was keen to bring something new to the novel - some added character insight. On the other hand, I had to keep the book faithful to the script.

What I tried to do was to use the inner POV of the characters to add more to a scene, without changing the dialogue or the action. However, I deliberately based the book on the script (rather than the DVD) because I felt that, in itself, would give the readers a slightly different take on the story. And if you compare the book with the DVD you'll see that there are some differences - on occasion dialogue is given to different characters, for example.

The biggest difficulty I had was when the script cut quickly from one field of action to another and then back again. It's great pacing on TV, but very disjointed in a novel! So sometimes I combined scenes that are split up in the show just to make it flow more easily.

Also - and this really bugged me! - I had a big problem with the climactic rising of Atlantis. It's really the centrepiece of the show, so beautifully symbolic and wonderful to watch. But when I came to write that scene I realised that unless I skipped to the POV of a fish, I had no one outside the city to witness it rising! Instead I had to write the scene from inside the city, so in that sense I did have some leeway. But, by and large, MGM were keen that the novel stick close to the episode.

I’m glad you enjoyed the book, it's great to know!

Was the length any issue? Sometimes, when I'm writing a script, I feel a pressure for a certain length. I mean, Rising was really short, so short that the font was increased in size.
    It wasn't really an issue. Rising was short, but that was the length of the script. TV scripts are very short, and even though this was a double episode it was never going to be as long as a novel like Cost of Honor or Survival of the Fittest, which come in at around 125 thousand words.

It wouldn't have been possible to make it any longer, while keeping it faithful to the script/DVD.

Fandemonium Author

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriel
    As to a question, I was wondering if there was one scene above all others (in either show) you wish you could re-write, what would it be and why?

Thanks for visiting us and answering our questions too. Very cool!

You're welcome. Writers tend to sit by themselves a lot for long periods of time. This makes a nice change!

Have to say there's no scene I want to rewrite. But there were many I wanted to go on for longer, which is what prompted me to write the Medical Considerations fanfic series. The trouble with tv is you've got a finite space in which to tell the story. The fun about books is there's more room to play!

In the multifandom region of subspace...shiny!

Welcome Sally!!!

I read some your fanfics before reading your novels...loved them all!

A question to all the authors:
    What shows besides the Stargates would you be interested in writing about?

Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

And another one for Sonny. Along side Sally, you're the only writer present who has written a novel for Atlantis and for SG1. What are the differences for writting for the two franchises?
    Hi Elite,

Wow, I could write a paper on that...eh, come to think of it I am . (I'm with Beth, these smilies are ultra cool! - and James...sob! So soon you forget, men ::rolls eyes:: it's tequila, not beer!)
    Okay, back OT. Writing for SG-1 vs Atlantis. Seriously, the research I’m currently doing highlighted the common elements in the Stargate universe and the 'problems' in dealing with a world that had not yet been fully fleshed out. I think this is the major difference. SG-1 is a well-mapped world, whereas Atlantis is very new. Yet they share common elements, certain technology, quirky, three dimensional characters, and at the most fundamental level, their mythology regarding the Ancients.

Essentially, there are two raw ingredients in story telling: characters and the world they inhabit. Each author goes about fleshing out both, differently, and each story will use different proportions of those ingredients to fashion those two interlinked components. With SG-1 we had such well-established characters that I chose to set them in a world that was a conceptual marriage of the ‘alien gods built the pyramids’ pop-culture cultism, archeology and the stargate mythos. Sabine also used archeology and ancient history, and married this to the Stargate mythos as the basis for Trial By Fire. In both cases, those stories really appealed to people who loved those mythology/archeology/alien gods aspects of the show. Sally, for example, set the characters in a new world, and that requires different tools, because you need to create this world from scratch, yet it must function like a real world.

Because Atlantis was such a new series, there was little option but to create a new, fully functioning world for The Chosen. I have a background in anthropology and geography, so – and this is boring, so you may want to skip this bit
    Spoiler:
    in The Chosen, for example, 99% of readers will not pick up that we use the economic principle of developing market gardens close to transport systems so that fresh foods can be delivered to market before they spoil (pre-industrial, non-refrigerated transport systems). Interfering, overtaxing, or making that transport system unavailable is going to create social disharmony and force people to move elsewhere. This is a basic principle in urban geography, and on some level that economic principle is going to work no matter what planet you’re on or what factors shaped that society.
    It’s an apparently insignificant background element in The Chosen, and yet if you read it with that piece of information in mind, add a few other notoriously predictable human characteristics, the evolving social structure makes perfect sense, and the ‘gotcha’ moment comes as much less of a shock.

With the characters, although they were also new, we had some neat baggage to deal with. I had the, ‘What if we toss Rodney into something really nasty, and see what happens?’ concept, and that was married to Beth's basic idea for The Chosen, and a scene she had in mind with Sheppard and McKay. I did the same thing with Exogenesis, taking a 'what if this happens to Rodney?' situation and developing a story around that and again, Beth had some great character pieces/conflict involving Sheppard and others, so that came together very fast. I was also fortunate enough to spend a little time with David Hewlett and Paul McGillion in Sydney, and David Nykl then came up to visit me in Brisbane. (OT, I took him shark diving – there are shots on my website to prove that while Zelenka can’t swim, David is perfectly at home in the water. In Exogenesis
    Spoiler:
    because of this, I did something to Zelenka underwater, and Zelenka played a larger role in the entire story, which was fun
    ). I also had a brief but highly productive conversation with Torri Higginson a week or so earlier, about her character’s feelings after The Eye.

David Hewlett in particular was amazing to be around, because on one level he is nothing like Rodney (he’s also much better looking!) but on another, he could be Rodney if he had Rodney’s truckload of neurosis. Being around these guys for a few days gave a huge insight into character nuances so by the time The Chosen was finished, I felt I had a more three dimensional handle on that world than would normally be possible after just one season of television.

Now we're into Season 3, we have more to play with, an of course SG-1 has taken an entirely new direction, so it also feels much like a new world with some well-loved characters.

cheers,

Fandemonium Author Elizabeth Christensen's Avatar

I was wondering how involved you all are in each others novels? Reading the acknowledgements in the novesl, alot of folk seem to all thank Tom or Sally but how involved are you all in helping your fellow authors get through the novel? Do you provide second opinions, a proof reading eye?
    I think it's probably different for each of us. I'm one of the newbies, so I haven't been involved in the production of any novels besides our two, but Sabine, Sonny, and I have helped each other out on other projects. And Sabine's been a most excellent line editor for The Chosen and Exo; she always finds a way to point out unclear or, occasionally, bizarre sentence construction in the most amusing and non-confrontational manner possible. Sabine, you must have missed the memo: editors are not supposed to be cool.

As a group, we're a pretty varied (and rather busy) bunch, and it'd be tough to get everyone coordinating on everything. But so far in my limited experience, everyone involved has been nothing but generous with their time and assistance.

About the previous question on characters (forgive me for not grabbing the quote; I'm taking baby steps here) -- I think Teyla's a little tricky for some of the same reasons Teal'c is. She can't use too many Earth colloqualisms, but she can't sound like a walking thesaurus, either. For me, Ronon and Rodney have opposite rules of thumb: Ronon says as few words as possible, and Rodney never uses two words when ten will do.

EAG, thanks for the "reputation" boost (didn't even know such a thing existed until just now) and the comment -- hope you enjoy Exogenesis!

Night, all -- Beth

Fandemonium Author Elizabeth Christensen's Avatar

Yikes -- I leave this page open on the computer for a while, and suddenly I've missed a slew of posts and the whole gang's in here.

Hi, Sally , and James, good to meet you. Rather than the harem image, though, I was thinking "James's Angels" ...

Fandemonium Author

Quote Originally Posted by sueKay
    A question to all the authors:
    What shows besides the Stargates would you be interested in writing about?

Truthfully? Right now, nothing. There are many shows I really love but for some reason not one of them prods me into making up stories.