This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't they keep the iris closed?

I wonder why the SGC doesn't keep the iris closed all the time, unless they are using the stargate? Every time the 'gate activates, the first thing Hammond says is "close the iris!" Then when (if) the IDC comes through correctly, they identify the team and then it's "open the iris!" Keeping the iris closed at all times would save power and energy and effort, not to mention keeping the SGC safer. And it's not like the IDC can't get through the iris, because it can.

Oh well, this is just one of many random thoughts that have wandered through my head at various times.

Maybe it starts to stick after too much time spent closed
    sigpic

Comment

I guess it's better for the iris controls to fail and have to switch to manual for closing it, than to have the iris fail while closed and then be stuck, potentially killing legitemate inbound travelers.

Comment

Because the iris parts collect dust.

Comment

It looks cooler than when it's open???
          High-quality web design, web marketing and web hosting.

Comment

Maybe the gates in front of some AC vents.

Comment

well remember when the gate opens and that burst of energy comes out well im sure that would screw up the Iris pretty bad of course it still work because if anyone comes thru without a code they'll loose their legs or atleast trip over the part of the Iris that wasnt destroyed by the burst of energy.

Also the gate doesnt stick cause they have plenty of WD40 and PAM(cooking thing) to loosen it up lol.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

The iris has been closed when the gate was opened before. The unstable vortex acts like incoming matter with respect to the disintegration effect -- a barrier too close and solid won't let it form.

Comment

It's for the Asgard. The Asgard always shut the power down to stop the iris instead of using a GDO like everyone else, cause they're cool like that. If we left the iris closed all the time, they might smack into it on one of their rare stargate visits (cause you know they're too cool to drop by all the time like everyone else, and they're too cool to call beforehand). Then the SGC would feel really bad.
                  Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I certainly wouldn't wanna piss of the Asgard.

Comment

Funny but I seem to remember that the Asgard have technology that lets them walk
                      through the iris as though it was not there.

My guess would be that the iris is kept open because 99 times out of 100 the gate is activated by an incoming sg teams. There is a lot of activity we never see. We just get to see the dramatic stuff.

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                      It's for the Asgard. The Asgard always shut the power down to stop the iris instead of using a GDO like everyone else, cause they're cool like that. If we left the iris closed all the time, they might smack into it on one of their rare stargate visits (cause you know they're too cool to drop by all the time like everyone else, and they're too cool to call beforehand). Then the SGC would feel really bad.

Comment

i'd say its cause its a waste of tiem for them to open it and close it everytime someone come out or in...cause you gotta rememebr that there are tons of teams going out and in ona schedule and the iris doesnt get closed int hose times, like if someone is scheduled to come in theres no reason to close the iris first.....the show basically focuses ont he missions and times where interesting stuf happens but i'm guessing the majority of the time its pretty boring stuff at stargate command

Comment

Originally posted by DJofSurrey
                          Funny but I seem to remember that the Asgard have technology that lets them walk
                          through the iris as though it was not there.

My guess would be that the iris is kept open because 99 times out of 100 the gate is activated by an incoming sg teams. There is a lot of activity we never see. We just get to see the dramatic stuff.
                          That's the Tollan. Allthough, the asgard are thousands of years more advanced than the Tollan, they probably do have the technology.
                          sigpic

Comment

It's dramatic and sounds cool to say "Close the iris!" and then "Open the iris!"

Go ahead, try it: "CLOSE THE IRIS!" (pause) "OPEN THE IRIS!"
                            Last edited by Beowulf; 10 August 2004, 08:41 PM.
                            This post brought to you by Anubis Markets, a division of Osiris Foods.

Comment

They play a game where the technicians have to compete on who can open the gate as soon as some one says it.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Working...
                              X