Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rodney's allergy. Funny or not? (spoilers for SG1 10.03)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rodney's allergy. Funny or not? (spoilers for SG1 10.03)

I'm putting this here, because Rodney is an SGA character, and so is Sheppard. And I'm coming from this as a fan of Atlantis primarily.

Is Rodney allergic to citrus? Or is he a hypochondriac? And is it OK to tease a person about their fatal allergies?

Or even if they aren't allergic, but have an unreasonable fear, isn't it the same thing? Is the lemon teasing funny?

For the record I was disappointed more in Sheppard's actions more then Mitchell (the latter don't really care about, coz I don't watch the show, but now he shall forever be in the bad books with me in terms of first impressions).

I'm curious as to what people thought about this. I don't think it was the teasing that bothered, as the 'seeming' disrespect that Sheppard had of Rodney to outsiders. I guess I just wanted someone to say something nice about Rodney, considering I see Atlantis as a family, and that Rodney didn't really have fun at SGC.
    ----
    There is something extraordinarily delightful in getting intensely
    serious about something intrinsically silly.

Uh, I think it's funny. Rodney's a big boy.

But you know what's not funny? When Sam told him to suck a lemon. That was just rude and probably hurt his wittle feelings.

Comment

At first i thought it was funny, but now i'm starting to think it was wrong.
      I'm pretty sure in a previous episode Rodney mentioned that he was "deadly allergic" to lemons or citrus in general, dont remember which, but he's always mentioning lemons.
      I remember here in Aus. there was a report on a kid who was being threatened by a bully with peanut butter. of course this kid was highly allergic to peanuts, so there was nothing funny about it, even as a mild tease.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
        Uh, I think it's funny. Rodney's a big boy.

But you know what's not funny? When Sam told him to suck a lemon. That was just rude and probably hurt his wittle feelings.

I thought a couple of things were funny, like the 'Don't shoot me' thing. And I love the relationship between Sam and Rodney.

But I don't think it's cool to mock a person on a fatal allergy, and to do so in front of people who don't know the context.

It made Rodney's 'We're pretty close' in regards to Sheppard seem a bit sad in comparison.

I think it may come down to a difference in perspective, some people find it funny, others don't.
        ----

Comment

Originally posted by ladysarah
          I guess I just wanted someone to say something nice about Rodney, considering I see Atlantis as a family, and that Rodney didn't really have fun at SGC.
          Let me preface this by saying I love the McKay character. Atlantis would be diminished without him. Snark is the best! But...

He has fun in Atlantis? He's respected, surely, but I don't think many outside his team have warm and tender feelings for him. He's a condescending know-it-all.

Comment

Not funny unless juvenile humour is your thing. Hey just my 2 cents.

I did give a detailed *for me* response to this whole thing in both the ep thread and the McKay discussion thread. But since this is strictly funny or not... Not, it is old hat, it just shows Cam to be a bully if you want to take it on face value, which, if you are laughing at it you probably are IMHO.

Oh it is so funny to threaten his life just to make him get on with things. *Oh Brad slays me*

How old is Cam?

Comment

Indeed.

I make fun of my close friends all the time, and they tease me back. That's (IMHO) how true friendship works. If you're always worrying about offending your friend, then something's fake about it.

I'm sure neither Shep nor Mitch would ever act on their threats, but rather just tease him about it. It's a guy thing.

I'd say Cam is as old as Shep, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Kleptomaniac
                At first i thought it was funny, but now i'm starting to think it was wrong.
                I'm pretty sure in a previous episode Rodney mentioned that he was "deadly allergic" to lemons or citrus in general, dont remember which, but he's always mentioning lemons.
                I remember here in Aus. there was a report on a kid who was being threatened by a bully with peanut butter. of course this kid was highly allergic to peanuts, so there was nothing funny about it, even as a mild tease.
                I found it a bit sad for two reasons.

1. Rodney respects and likes Sheppard, and it's sad to think that perhaps that it might be a bit one sided. That Sheppard is the popular kid who is happy to mock Rodney in front of others just to get the laughs.

2. I think Rodney's ego is far more fragile then he comes across. I think Rodney is used to being teased and mocked, and the arrogance is a defensive mechanism.

However, I do like it when Sheppard, or Beckett tease him at times, because it's a sign of affection, but there is a line, and I think it was crossed, at least for me, at the expense of a joke.
                ----

Comment

And I love the relationship between Sam and Rodney.
                  I'd give money to see Sam and Rodney together on a regular basis. Amanda and David have great chemistry.

Comment

Originally posted by blingaway
                    He's respected, surely, but I don't think many outside his team have warm and tender feelings for him. He's a condescending know-it-all.
                    But he's Atlantis's condescending know-it-all who saves their lives regularly.
                    ----

Comment

It's not funny and I didn't think it was cute on the ep. I had problems with PP just because of the treatment of McKay. On SGA he's smart and saves the day, on SG1 he's dumbed down and made into a bloody dancing monkey. It's not cute or impressive.

I'd give money to see Sam and Rodney together on a regular basis. Amanda and David have great chemistry.
                      I'd rather see everyone get infested by wraiths and then, have the wraith dance around their carcasses..than ever see Sam and Rodney together...again!

Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Indeed.

I make fun of my close friends all the time, and they tease me back. That's (IMHO) how true friendship works. If you're always worrying about offending your friend, then something's fake about it.
                        Cameron does not know McKay, I never had a problem with Sheppard giving him the lemon as such, I think Cameron acted like a *insert word here* and he went over board.

Oh and if I had a deadly allergy and MY friends did this they would not be my friends for long. Jeez friends like that who needs enemies?

Comment

Indeed.

The main problem I had with it wasn't itself the teasing (although the lemon thing, maybe) but the doing it front of outsiders thing. Should see the way I mock my friends, but if an outsider does it, then I'm quick to defend.
                          ----

Comment

But he's Atlantis's condescending know-it-all who saves their lives regularly.
                            And that's why we love him. I think Sheppard must feel a little more affinity for stargate command and their personnel, to be able to joke with them, but you're right, Rodney might have felt a little betrayed. We're not going to find this 'irrestible' to over-analyze too are we?

Comment

And that's why we love him. I think Sheppard must feel a little more affinity for stargate command and their personnel, to be able to joke with them, but you're right, Rodney might have felt a little betrayed
                              I know I felt betrayed for him.

We're not going to find this 'irrestible' to over-analyze too are we?
                              Nah, that's on another thread.
                              ----

Comment

Working...
                              X