Vak
    La
    Ru
    Sh
    Val
    Ka
    Or

What do you think?

I think you need to just sit back and enjoy the show.

It's annoying when they have stuff like this be inconsistant. . . but it's better to just sit back and enjoy the show.

Comment

o k ay
      sigpic
      Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
      Metal gear fan

Comment

Ter
        Ra
        At
        La
        Nt
        Us
        Tao
        Th
        Vak
        La
        Ru
        Sh
        Val
        Ka
        Or
        Quite Good! Except that you have two La's! ....

That must mean that:

Ter (Leo)

Ra (Pisces)

?? (Crater) (Shouldn' this be At seeing as At doesn't appear in the other Names?)

La (Piscis Austrinus)

Nt (Capricornus)

Us (Norma)

------------------
        ?? (2nd PoO) (Sextants)

At (Earth PoO) (?)

-------------------

Well, it's possible that the Sounds don't match up to the Glyphs in that Order.... It could be another, but that would eb the most likely.... possibly...
        Last edited by The Prophet; 30 July 2006, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I wonder if any PoO is called "At"?

Comment

Updated list including Dakara.................

okay so there are 38 glyphs.

We know that the PoO is (At)

Terra Atlantus = (Ter)(ra)(At)(la)(nt)(us) = 6 glyphs
            Proklarush Taonas = (Prok)(la)(ru)(sh)(Tao)(nas) = 6 glyphs

Taoth Vaklarush = (Tao)(th)(Vak)(la)(ru)(sh) = 6 glyphs
            Vallaus Kaor = (Val)(la)(us)(Ka)(or) = this is stretching it ~~~5 glyphs

(?)(?)(?)(Da)(ka)(ra)

Ter
            Ra
            At
            La
            Nt
            Us
            Tao
            Th
            Vak
            Ru
            Sh
            Val
            Ka
            Or
            Da
            Ka

22 remaining........... to discover

Comment

I think with stargate you have to have an open mind to their mistakes. you just need to just assume things. i did the same thing at first and found out it was much more enjoyable if you have an open mind.

-SMART, SEXY, and ALL AROUND PERFECT!

Comment

i think we need to remember what was established by daniel in atlantis.

the ancient language has altered incredibly from the time of merlin/arthur, let alone their earlier history.

lets remember that these gates are OLD. older than arthur.

so... why would their syllables relate directly to what we have as the ancient language in its current form? let alone english - which dakara may well be, for example.
                Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Wasn't Dakara named by the Goa'uld?

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                    I think you need to just sit back and enjoy the show.

It's annoying when they have stuff like this be inconsistant. . . but it's better to just sit back and enjoy the show.
                    I agree with bragi, have fun and watch the show and try not to over analyze everything and try to figure out everything with the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                      Wasn't Dakara named by the Goa'uld?
                      i dunno, but whoever named each planet, the currently-identifiable name is almost certainly extremely different from whatever the original name is...

i just used dakara as a possible english name as an example to show that
                      Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by principia
                        okay so there are 38 glyphs.

We know that the PoO is (At)

Terra Atlantus = (Ter)(ra)(At)(la)(nt)(us) = 6 glyphs
                        Proklarush Taonas = (Prok)(la)(ru)(sh)(Tao)(nas) = 6 glyphs

Taoth Vaklarush = (Tao)(th)(Vak)(la)(ru)(sh) = 6 glyphs
                        Vallaus Kaor = (Val)(la)(us)(Ka)(or) = this is stretching it ~~~5 glyphs

Ter
                        Ra
                        At
                        La
                        Nt
                        Us
                        Tao
                        Th
                        Vak
                        La
                        Ru
                        Sh
                        Val
                        Ka
                        Or

What do you think?
                        I think... I think it makes little to no sense at all as a writing system, mate. I've done some light studying into the subject of assorted writing systems, and to write out anything like this seems completely unnatural.

I'm familiar with logographic and syllabic writing systems, and this makes sense for neither. 38 symbols is hardly enough for a logographic writing system, and syllabic systems rarely, if ever, have more than one consonant per symbol and are virtually always followed up by a vowel. (The Japanese /tsu/ and /n/ symbols being the exceptions that come immediately to mind here.)

There are a few syllabic writing systems that've overcome the difficulty of consonant clusters, however - some combine symbols.

Also, another problem is that the gate addresses are coordinates, not words. Although the possibility exists that a planet could be known by the phonetic value of its address, I don't think that's the case as 'Atlantis' translates into 'land of Atlas.' Also, -is is an extremely common ending in mythological Greek names. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what it entails.
                        [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Originally posted by Syera
                          I think... I think it makes little to no sense at all as a writing system, mate. I've done some light studying into the subject of assorted writing systems, and to write out anything like this seems completely unnatural.

I'm familiar with logographic and syllabic writing systems, and this makes sense for neither. 38 symbols is hardly enough for a logographic writing system, and syllabic systems rarely, if ever, have more than one consonant per symbol and are virtually always followed up by a vowel. (The Japanese /tsu/ and /n/ symbols being the exceptions that come immediately to mind here.)

There are a few syllabic writing systems that've overcome the difficulty of consonant clusters, however - some combine symbols.

Also, another problem is that the gate addresses are coordinates, not words. Although the possibility exists that a planet could be known by the phonetic value of its address, I don't think that's the case as 'Atlantis' translates into 'land of Atlas.' Also, -is is an extremely common ending in mythological Greek names. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what it entails.
                          Interesting post Syera, I'm curious to learn more about what exactly are logographic scripts.....I'm starting to study Japanese in school so I can follow what you're saying with that.

But I'm not trying to say it's a full fledged writing system. I don't think you could write - 'How are you, mate?" with gate glyphs but I think it was a very restricted system for naming star systems and multiple worlds within that system.

Comment

This site is pretty cool if you're wanting to learn about assorted writing systems.
                            [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Fascinating as Spock would say........

Comment

Working...
                              X