This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Jonathan" O'neill

I've seen the name Jonathan O'neill on fansites/wikipedia and stuff. Did people just assume his full name was Jonathan or has been mentioned on the series, because I know someone called John and it isn't short for Jonathan, it is just written as John on his birth certificate.
    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac; 26 September 2007, 12:39 PM.
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Originally posted by wako!
    I've seen the name Jonathan O'neill on fansites/wikipedia and stuff. Did people just assume his full name was Jonathan or has been mentioned on the series, because I know some called John and it isn't short for Jonathan, it is just written as John on his birth certificate.
    it was in the series in entiny it was show on the big screen in the brifing room

not the right cap but it was in this scene http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...4/76e14f63.jpg
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
      it was in the series in entiny it was show on the big screen in the brifing room

not the right cap but it was in this scene http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...4/76e14f63.jpg
      thanks *goes to get DVD*

Comment

Spoiler:

Got the cap but according to this his name is John not Jonathan, which means every stargate fansite, wiki and the simpsons is wrong!

Comment

Spoiler:

Got the cap but according to this his name is John not Jonathan, which means every stargate fansite, wiki and the simpsons is wrong!
          john is short for Jonathan
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
            john is short for Jonathan
            didn't you read the first post, I have a friend called John and it isn't short for Jonathan, it just says John on his Birth Certificate. On a milatary profile it would have your first name as it appears on your birth certificate, his real name is John not Jonathan!

Comment

didn't you read the first post, I have a friend called John and it isn't short for Jonathan, it just says John on his Birth Certificate. On a milatary profile it would have your first name as it appears on your birth certificate, his real name is John not Jonathan!
              Well, I don't know anything about military profiles/birth certificates, but it's true, John doesn't have to be short for Jonathan, I know a few who are simply 'John'. I also have a friend who's named Jonathan and goes by Jon, spelt without an 'h'. Although, in terms of Jack's real first name, I was always under the impression it was infact Jonathan.

Comment

all i know is that jack is sometimes used as a pet name(for those who dont know a pet name would be a name that a father/mother uses for their children) for jonathan

Comment

As far as I am aware, Jonathon was his name in the Movie, thats all there is to it, and no John isnt short for Jonathan, as Wako said earlier. Why is it such a shock that Wikipedia is wrong?
                  Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                  - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                    As far as I am aware, Jonathon was his name in the Movie, thats all there is to it
                    Ahhhhh but his son was called Tyler and he only had one "L" in O'neill in the movie as well

Comment

Why is it such a shock that Wikipedia is wrong?
                      Not just that, the Omnipedia, stargate sg1 solutions and just about every other fansite

Comment

Ahhhhh but his son was called Tyler and he only had one "L" in O'neill in the movie as well
                        I know, but a lot of people will take anything in the movie as fact until it has been directly contradicted in the series, and seeing as its barely noticable in Entity only the eagle eyed viewers will see "John O'Neill". On top of this, it is a fairly common misconception to take John as a version of Jonathan, so most fansite editors, and even David working on the Omnipedia wouldnt think to change it.
                        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.

Comment

On top of this, it is a fairly common misconception to take John as a version of Jonathan, so most fansite editors, and even David working on the Omnipedia wouldnt think to change it.
                          I asked if it could the Omnipedia could be changed in the "Ask the Mods" thread, do you think they will?

I know, but a lot of people will take anything in the movie as fact until it has been directly contradicted in the series, and seeing as its barely noticable in Entity only the eagle eyed viewers will see "John O'Neill".
                          I would say that scene in Entity does directly contradict it.

Comment

I would say that scene in Entity does directly contradict it.
                            Yes, but your missing my point, only people who look VERY closely will see it, its not as if we had a scene in the episode with Hammond and Jack

Hammond: So, your name is John?
                            Jack: Yup, and did you know thats NOT short for Jonathon? Theres a Jonathon O'Neil in the airforce who goes by the name of Jack, no sence of humour.

If people don't see it, or hear it, they won't know, and its hardly the most obvious contradiction in the world.

Oh, and to answer your question, yes I would imagine David will get onto it fairly quickly.

Comment

Yes, but your missing my point, only people who look VERY closely will see it
                              Yes but the fact remains that it is still there, no matter how closely you have to look it is still there, which in my view makes it canon.

Spoiler:

I had to do it, just to make sure I capped the Movie credits Yep checks out! Now it's just which one you consider to be canon, if you haven't already guessed I think his name is John!

Comment

Working...
                              X