Did Stargate kill Star Trek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Stargate kill Star Trek

IMHO Enterprise was fairly crappy compared to previous Trek series, not to mention the very forgettable Trek movie Nemesis which also wasn't nearly as good as previous Trek movies, neither did anything to help the franchise what-so-ever. But with the growing popularity of Stargate (not to mention SGA and BSG) around the sametime that ENT was first airing, did it saturate the scifi market to the point that a blase series like ENT turned a lot of fans away from Trek and over to Stargate?.

I strongly believe that Star Trek will rise again like TNG did and the franchise will live on. IMHO I think TPTB are waiting till there is a lag in scifi before the franchise is re-born.

Don't get me wrong, I truly love Stargate, Stargate Atlantis and even BSG (to a certain degree) as much as Star Trek.

So tell me what you think my fellow Trek Brethren....
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Something always bothered me about ENT. It just did not feel right to me.

Part of my issue with it was that it seemed like the writers went out of their way to re-create the Star Trek universe. Unless you go forward, that approach just does not work.

I also think people were over saturated with the Star Trek product. The last couple of Star Trek movies were so-so. People are moving towards the fresher product right now.

The best thing for Star Trek would be a hiatus for a couple of years and then plan out the next series, preferably set after TNG. I would not do another movie either. The next generation cast is done and I don’t think movies with DS9, voyager or ENT would sell.
    WHAT DO YOU MEAN, NO BLUE JELLO?

Comment

I think with DS9, if done right could be good It wouldnt just be ships, battles - it would be religious morality returning of The Sisko etc etc

I liked Nemesis, and the only thing that REALLY bothered me about Enterprise was the theme tune...GREAT song, but I like the old kinda themes
      Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

I think that Star Trek was largely killed by the writers and directors. Enterprise, in general, was a good series I thought. The whole save Earth season was little more than "make a new ultimate baddy", I think, but the final season, focusing as they did on how the Trek universe actually came together, was by far the best that they had ever done and really should have been the mandate of the whole series.

But Trek's biggest problem, primarily put forward by Voyager, was the low level of series consistency that seemed to be an issue not just between that series and other Trek series, but even between one Voyager episode and another. In short, the writers didn't much care, and TPTB lost interest as well.

Stargate has exceled in that the internal consistency is made pretty tight. Nothing is air tight, especially when a show runs this long and different people come and go from the project. And let's face it, people simply forget certain things from time to time. But Stargate still has an excellent record for consistency, the characters are obviously dear to the fans, the story lines are by and large quite compelling (though some repetition has begun to creep in), and the special effects are really first rate as comparted to anything that I see on TV of late.

In short, I think Trek largely killed itself, and Stargate was an innocent by stander.
        "I could have sworn that was an aspirin I took this morning...."
        -----

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
          I think with DS9, if done right could be good It wouldnt just be ships, battles - it would be religious morality returning of The Sisko etc etc
          The problem isn't a matter of whether it will be good, it's a matter of whether people will see it, and that's what would make a DS9 movie such a risk.

Voyager and Enterprise movies are completly out of the question though, they wouldn't have enough of an audience.

Enterprise was geared towards a younger audience then the original Trek fans, and that was the mistake. I really liked Enterprise, but there was so much that just didn't work for many fans of the original series until season four, and that was a major contributer to Trek's demise- they lost those viewers. Voyager's absolutle inconsistancy was another- take Species 8472 for example, a great species created by the writers, but then they had to go and soften them up and make them into the typical humanoids all for negotiating peace. Then there was the Borg- Voyager defeated them a few too many times and none of our main characters died after that trip through the delta quadrant full of "hostile" species?

I don't think Stargate had anything to do with Trek's demise.

Hopefully this new Trek movie will cause a resurgence of interest, bring in the young, new viewers to Trek and older viewers alike, and perhaps trek will once again live.

Comment

I think the trek writers could have done a lot better. Don't get me wrong theres some great eps, but broader story arcs prehaps, and great character development, less technobabble (though trek really wouldnt be trek with out it) and the writers could have done with getting rid of that massive reset button they seemed to have. As such i don't think StarGate had much of an effect Star trek. Its just cause the writing of trek could have been better it seems to me people started watching stargate who would otherwise have watched trek.

Comment

I tuned out of Enterprise before I'd even heard of Stargate...so no...I don't think SG is responsible for the downfall of ST.

Blame the Killer Bs (Berman and Braga) along with UPN and the fact that the franchise ended up wedged up it's own backside!
              sigpic
              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Sci-fi Friday killed Enterprise in the ratings department.

Comment

stargate did not kill star trek.

this thread brings the lolz

Comment

Trek ain't dead...clinging to life yeah...but there IS another movie coming
                    McKay:...ZedPM
                    O'Neill: Zed?
                    Jackson: He's Canadian
                    O'Neill: I'm sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Lokii
                      Something always bothered me about ENT. It just did not feel right to me.

Part of my issue with it was that it seemed like the writers went out of their way to re-create the Star Trek universe. Unless you go forward, that approach just does not work.
                      agreed it wass like there was soemthing there but there never reached out and got it
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Stargate didn't kill Star Trek. It isn't Stargate's fault Star Trek lost some of it's steam.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                          Stargate didn't kill Star Trek. It isn't Stargate's fault Star Trek lost some of it's steam.
                          I think some of you misunderstand exactly what my point is, I do not blame Stargate or any other entity for the demise of Star Trek, Enterprise and Nemesis had a lot more to do with the current downfall of Trek than anything else. IMHO it was a combination of said factors and the growing popularity of scifi Fridays that lead to the downfall.

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                          The problem isn't a matter of whether it will be good, it's a matter of whether people will see it, and that's what would make a DS9 movie such a risk.

Voyager and Enterprise movies are completely out of the question though, they wouldn't have enough of an audience.
                          Agreed!, a new movie or especially a new television series needs to go in a completely new direction or at least in a new time and place in the future and not go backwards like the failed experiment that was ENT, a lot like they did when TNG came onto the scene.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I liked all the trek series (was such a DS9/Voyager fan in my tweens), but when I saw the series premiere of Enterprise, I thought it was crap, so I just tuned out on that show, and ignored the fact that it existed. I saw the final episode, too, and well...was still not really that impressed. I think the creativity behind Star Trek fell apart in recent years, so I blame their TPTB.

Comment

no i don't think stargate killed star trek.....i think part of the problem was the episode arc's they tried to do . yes they've done them before, ds9 did it with the dominion war but they did'nt over drag out the whole situation or at least it was done well and did'nt seem like it . where as in enterprise it seemed too long and drawn out. i loved enterprise but at times it seemed dull unfortunately ...i still love star trek and i enjoy being a trekkie.

stargate should not be compared to star trek as stargate is unique so is star trek and does'nt need comparisons to other shows its excellant on its own.
                              SAM & JACK 4EVER!!

Comment

Working...
                              X