X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't be done again

Here's why:
    Spoiler:
    In Serenity they killed off Wash and Book. Wash was my favorite character and you can't get another character like Book without something really cheesy, like bringing in someone exactly like him, anyway, another reason it can't be brought back is because of it's charm, I'd prefer if it stayed as it is than have it massacred by Fox yet again

I am also thinking that this is not over yet by far.
    sigpic
    Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Joss always kills the fan favourites, and it always works (Look at Doyle Cordy and Fred in Angel!), he does it so people love the show and not just the characters. Its not over yet, not even close.
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I agree- I love it when Joss kills characters, he knows exactly who to kill off and how to do it. And it makes us love him all the more for it (how often can you say that of a writer?), Hallowed Is Joss Whedon!

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
          I agree- I love it when Joss kills characters, he knows exactly who to kill off and how to do it. And it makes us love him all the more for it (how often can you say that of a writer?), Hallowed Is Joss Whedon!
          indeed!!!
          sigpic
          Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Of course Firefly can't be done, even Joss said that. The dynamics, the chemistry, the very essence of Firefly was screwed around and reshaped in order to create Serenity, which had to be a very different beast for a very different medium. To make another TV series he'd have to screw around with Serenity, and as much as I love the characters and the world and as much as I respect Joss and his writing I don't think that the universe could come through all that change and still be fresh and interesting.

Firefly is dead. What we have now, in film, comics, RPG and hopefully novels, is Serenity.

Comment

I'd only watch it if they did a prequel series.
              That means with wash, Kind of like "Out of Gas"

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                Joss always kills the fan favourites, and it always works (Look at Doyle Cordy and Fred in Angel!), he does it so people love the show and not just the characters. Its not over yet, not even close.
                i hope its not over, i really do. ive just finished watching the firefly box set and ive seen serenity and i love them both, and im really hoping that someday we get something else too. Joss kills characters all the time, he killed tara in buffy as well.

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Joss always kills the fan favourites, and it always works
                  I beg to differ. It didn't work for me in Serenity, it just pissed me off royally. And it hasn't worked for me in several of Josh's other shows either. Yes, it sometimes works, when the plot justifies it. However, with JS, it more often strikes me as killing off characters for the sake of it, without any justification as far as the plot goes, just to prove he can and to make himself look clever. And I've never enjoyed that kind of manipulation.

As much as I adore Firefly, I'd much rather Serenity was the end of it, than have a new series minus Book and Wash. Like so many of JW's massacres, their deaths were entirely pointless and brought nothing to the show.

To take Sci-Fi girl's example - yes, killing off Tara was justified because it was the catalyst for much of the action/drama/character growth that followed. Killing off Anya, however, in the finale, comes under my heading of pointless and simply death for the sake of it. Her death had zero impact on the plot/characters.

And it makes us love him all the more for it
                  Who is this us of which you speak? Do you mean, 'makes ME love him all the more'? That may be more accurate. Certainly, I'm not in this nebulous 'us' group and I'm sure many other fans of JW shows aren't either.

Albion
                  Last edited by Albion; 23 July 2006, 04:08 PM.
                  Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Book and Wash's deaths brought everything to the story. Book's death showed how merciless The Operative was, his evilness would never have had the same impact if it had just been a random bunch of people he had killed. Wash's death was absolutely key also- after Wash died no one was safe. It opened the door wide for everything that would happen after that- anyone could have beome a target and the story was split open, it was the cataylst for the viewer's final emotional investment. If those characters hadn't died the movie would have been no where near as effective as it was.

And another note: "We" is a relative term- I'm sure most people in this thread would agree with what I said, you want me to list everyone who agrees by name to make it completly clear that you aren't included?
                    Last edited by Trek_Girl42; 24 July 2006, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I agree with TrekGirl. I wasn't sure any of them would survive after Wash's death. Not all deaths have to have an impact on plot, but rather on the viewer's investment in the film. In real life many people die pointlessly and randomly, and it is this jeopardy that Joss has tried to instill in the audience during the climax of Serenity.

Comment

Wash really isn't very funny. Shepard had something to contribute though...
                        You know what I think?
                        It don't really matter what I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                          I beg to differ. It didn't work for me in Serenity, it just pissed me off royally. And it hasn't worked for me in several of Josh's other shows either. Yes, it sometimes works, when the plot justifies it. However, with JS, it more often strikes me as killing off characters for the sake of it, without any justification as far as the plot goes, just to prove he can and to make himself look clever. And I've never enjoyed that kind of manipulation.

As much as I adore Firefly, I'd much rather Serenity was the end of it, than have a new series minus Book and Wash. Like so many of JW's massacres, their deaths were entirely pointless and brought nothing to the show.

To take Sci-Fi girl's example - yes, killing off Tara was justified because it was the catalyst for much of the action/drama/character growth that followed. Killing off Anya, however, in the finale, comes under my heading of pointless and simply death for the sake of it. Her death had zero impact on the plot/characters.

Who is this us of which you speak? Do you mean, 'makes ME love him all the more'? That may be more accurate. Certainly, I'm not in this nebulous 'us' group and I'm sure many other fans of JW shows aren't either.

Albion
                          yes, i agree sometimes it (killing characters) works, sometimes it doesn't. if it adds to the plot, i love it. if it makes the other characters in the show grow, i like it. if it's done for shock value, i don't like it.
                          Save us from danger, save us from evil
                          Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

You know some poeple just dont seem to grasp that main character death is also bloody realistic. I find it completely unbelievable when the same group has been facing extreme odds year after eyar without a fatality... life just doesnt work like that.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

FOB has hit the nail dead on. (pun intended) The fact is people die and its random heck the only thing that had always bugged me about Star Gate (until Jacksons Death) was the fact that nobody kicked the bucket in situations where they should have. NOBODYS that lucky and if you think they are I have a few fellow Officers that seemed to be pretty lucky and are not here today becasue one day there luck ran out. Washes death in that film came at a time when it changed a dynamic. you got the feeling that they were going to make it and not every did. Heck more should have died in that situation actually.
                              The enemy has spoken

Comment

Working...
                              X