This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

this thread is mostly to help someone like me who is new and doesn't want to rub anyone the wrong way.

so any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by Adria; 23 July 2006, 04:31 AM.

Well, for a start you can check out the FAQ and the forum rules.

Don't start a thread about the Furlings...

Comment

Might have already found it by now, but this place here is a pretty good regarding common questions...

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Do: lurk before posting; figure out how the forum works, both technically and socially.

Don't: use txt speak.

Comment

Don't start any threads about Jesus being somehow connected to the Stargate verse.

Don't start any threads asking when S9/2 are coming on DVD.

Search is your friend, always use it before starting new threads.

#1 rule Post spoilers in spoiler tags or you could end up with a flurry of red rep or PMs

Spoiler:

Like this

Spoilers are anything from S9/10 of SG-1, and S2/3 of Atlantis.

And have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
            Might have already found it by now, but this place here is a pretty good regarding common questions...
            You've got to love ShadowMaat for that.

Honestly, I don't know why that's not stickied and required reading for anyone signing up.
            http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Don't go into threads and purposefully post off topic just to annoy someone.

Do jump into threads and post and have fun... even if it looks like its a private conversation, its not, thats what PMs are for .
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

dont argue that the asgard ship in
                Spoiler:
                camelot was a science vessle because the TPTB already stated it was a oniell they screwed up in the sizing.

i just saw that and made me a little off
                Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

-Do not mention that any Stargate actor is pudgy, wrinkly, gray-haired, and/or balding. Especially in his or her thunk thread. Some people take offense at this, which I find really funny because it only means that they are also admitting there is something wrong with it.

-Please, for the love of pete, do not bring up the CotG plothole again. Please!

-Starting a new thread about Furlings is probably a bad idea. There are a gazillion threads about them already, and rumor has it we're going to be seeing them in season 10 of SG-1 anyway.

-As said before, don't try to link Jesus to the Ancients. We've been there, done that, and a lot of people got mad.

-Don't try to dazzle us with your scientific knowledge unless you really know. And by 'really know' I don't mean 'think you really know.' If it's possible you don't know everything about what you're talking about, please do one or more of the following:
                  --Let us know in advance so we know you're not just trying to be a smarty-pants.
                  --Do some reasearch.

-People use big words around here. The dictionary is your FRIEND!
                  [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

- don't use txt spk cuz itz jst boring!
                    - don't start up threads about downloading
                    - don't start up 'I hate him/her/it/this/you because him/her/it/this/you is boring/ugly/etc' threads
                    - don't red rep people for no apparent reason
                    - don't start fights with anyone who disagrees with you
                    - signatures are small graphics, a maximum height of 200px and 700px wide, they are not wallpaper sized!
                    - the search engine is your friend, as are spoiler tags
                    sigpic
                    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by Syera
                      -Please, for the love of pete, do not bring up the CotG plothole again. Please!
                      Huh? What's the CotG plothole? (I've only see it once and that was ages ago)

Someone doesn't tell me I might have to start a thread.

Wait a second, I actually have to hazard a guess on this one- is it how during the teaser, Apophis and Jaffa got back through the gate from the SGC, or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                        Huh?
                        Wait a second, I actually have to hazard a guess on this one- is it how during the teaser, Apophis and Jaffa got back through the gate from the SGC, or something like that?
                        Naughty, naughty Trek Girl42!! Trying to sneak that plothole in the backdoor. Someone might pounce on you.
                        sigpic

Comment

*pounces on Trek Girl with green*

http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

i think these are a lot of rules to take in at once. if your new you will catch on
                            Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Basically - think before you post ... ESPECIALLY when in an argument with other posters. Remember, everyone has an opinion and all opinions are valid - don't try saying someone elses is a pile of cow dung. And if they say yours is, try and not sink to their level and slag them off. Remember it's not just the person opposite you're trying to pursuade but anyone else browsing the thread. And i'm always more likely to be swayed by a well thought out argument than a stream of vitriole (especially when it's a well thought out argument opposite a stream of vitriole). There will always be idiots - don't be one of them

Do - try and get involved in a few threads (especially more lighthearted Off Topic ones) - it's always good to build up a few good relationships ... friendships with other posters.

Do - search before posting a new thread ... especially when wondering 'why doesn't the Kawoosh destroy the iris', 'who are the Furlings', or 'what does the 9th Chevron do'. There are TONS of threads already on these.

Finally, don't let the fact that this place is so big put you off, especially after encountering some of the aforementioned idiots - most people here are kind and helpful. Give it a couple of months at least, and you'll be settled, and just as insane as the rest of us
                              I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Working...
                              X