Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
  1. #1
    First Lieutenant Adria's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Dragon Roost Island
    Posts
    527

    Arrow2 what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    this thread is mostly to help someone like me who is new and doesn't want to rub anyone the wrong way.

    so any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by Adria; July 23rd, 2006 at 04:31 AM.

  2. #2
    Lieutenant Colonel Naonak's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    3,994

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld

    Well, for a start you can check out the FAQ and the forum rules.

    Don't start a thread about the Furlings...

  3. #3
    Lieutenant Colonel Anubis69's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,236

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld

    Might have already found it by now, but this place here is a pretty good regarding common questions...
    http://www.clintonio.com/sig-400.jpg
    The center of Khlysty surrounds me

  4. #4
    General
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,098

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    Do: lurk before posting; figure out how the forum works, both technically and socially.

    Don't: use txt speak.

  5. #5
    Major General Trek_Girl42's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Battlestar Galactica (B.C., Canada)
    Posts
    13,354

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    Don't start any threads about Jesus being somehow connected to the Stargate verse.

    Don't start any threads asking when S9/2 are coming on DVD.

    Search is your friend, always use it before starting new threads.

    #1 rule Post spoilers in spoiler tags or you could end up with a flurry of red rep or PMs

    Spoiler:

    Like this

    Spoilers are anything from S9/10 of SG-1, and S2/3 of Atlantis.

    And have fun.

  6. #6
    Lieutenant Colonel rarocks24's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    pwning noobz
    Posts
    4,243

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld

    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis69
    Might have already found it by now, but this place here is a pretty good regarding common questions...
    You've got to love ShadowMaat for that.

    Honestly, I don't know why that's not stickied and required reading for anyone signing up.
    http://www.change.gov

    The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

  7. #7
    Lieutenant Colonel AGateFan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Location
    I dont really exist
    Posts
    4,441

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    Don't go into threads and purposefully post off topic just to annoy someone.

    Do jump into threads and post and have fun... even if it looks like its a private conversation, its not, thats what PMs are for .
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

    ^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

    AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

  8. #8
    Lieutenant Colonel 2ndgenerationalteran's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the back of your neck, controling your brain
    Posts
    3,783

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    dont argue that the asgard ship in
    Spoiler:
    camelot was a science vessle because the TPTB already stated it was a oniell they screwed up in the sizing.


    i just saw that and made me a little off
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

  9. #9
    Major Syera's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Somewhere in the Big Prickle-Patch called the West
    Posts
    2,476

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    -Do not mention that any Stargate actor is pudgy, wrinkly, gray-haired, and/or balding. Especially in his or her thunk thread. Some people take offense at this, which I find really funny because it only means that they are also admitting there is something wrong with it.

    -Please, for the love of pete, do not bring up the CotG plothole again. Please!

    -Starting a new thread about Furlings is probably a bad idea. There are a gazillion threads about them already, and rumor has it we're going to be seeing them in season 10 of SG-1 anyway.

    -As said before, don't try to link Jesus to the Ancients. We've been there, done that, and a lot of people got mad.

    -Don't try to dazzle us with your scientific knowledge unless you really know. And by 'really know' I don't mean 'think you really know.' If it's possible you don't know everything about what you're talking about, please do one or more of the following:
    --Let us know in advance so we know you're not just trying to be a smarty-pants.
    --Do some reasearch.

    -People use big words around here. The dictionary is your FRIEND!

  10. #10
    Major General sueKay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In the multifandom region of subspace...shiny!
    Posts
    10,058

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    - don't use txt spk cuz itz jst boring!
    - don't start up threads about downloading
    - don't start up 'I hate him/her/it/this/you because him/her/it/this/you is boring/ugly/etc' threads
    - don't red rep people for no apparent reason
    - don't start fights with anyone who disagrees with you
    - signatures are small graphics, a maximum height of 200px and 700px wide, they are not wallpaper sized!
    - the search engine is your friend, as are spoiler tags

    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

  11. #11
    Major General Trek_Girl42's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Battlestar Galactica (B.C., Canada)
    Posts
    13,354

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    Quote Originally Posted by Syera
    -Please, for the love of pete, do not bring up the CotG plothole again. Please!
    Huh? What's the CotG plothole? (I've only see it once and that was ages ago)

    Someone doesn't tell me I might have to start a thread.



    Wait a second, I actually have to hazard a guess on this one- is it how during the teaser, Apophis and Jaffa got back through the gate from the SGC, or something like that?

  12. #12
    Caffeinated Teacher Nolamom's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Toll Booth - Home of the Tollans
    Posts
    14,085

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_Girl42
    Huh?
    Wait a second, I actually have to hazard a guess on this one- is it how during the teaser, Apophis and Jaffa got back through the gate from the SGC, or something like that?
    Naughty, naughty Trek Girl42!! Trying to sneak that plothole in the backdoor. Someone might pounce on you.

  13. #13
    Lieutenant Colonel rarocks24's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    pwning noobz
    Posts
    4,243

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    *pounces on Trek Girl with green*

    http://www.change.gov

    The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

  14. #14
    Lieutenant Colonel 2ndgenerationalteran's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the back of your neck, controling your brain
    Posts
    3,783

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    i think these are a lot of rules to take in at once. if your new you will catch on
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

  15. #15
    Major jonno's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fleeing the Heron.
    Posts
    2,502

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    Basically - think before you post ... ESPECIALLY when in an argument with other posters. Remember, everyone has an opinion and all opinions are valid - don't try saying someone elses is a pile of cow dung. And if they say yours is, try and not sink to their level and slag them off. Remember it's not just the person opposite you're trying to pursuade but anyone else browsing the thread. And i'm always more likely to be swayed by a well thought out argument than a stream of vitriole (especially when it's a well thought out argument opposite a stream of vitriole). There will always be idiots - don't be one of them

    Do - try and get involved in a few threads (especially more lighthearted Off Topic ones) - it's always good to build up a few good relationships ... friendships with other posters.

    Do - search before posting a new thread ... especially when wondering 'why doesn't the Kawoosh destroy the iris', 'who are the Furlings', or 'what does the 9th Chevron do'. There are TONS of threads already on these.

    Finally, don't let the fact that this place is so big put you off, especially after encountering some of the aforementioned idiots - most people here are kind and helpful. Give it a couple of months at least, and you'll be settled, and just as insane as the rest of us
    I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

  16. #16
    Captain
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,436

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    ....what everyone else has said.

    I'll just add, grow a thick skin...depending where you hang out here you might need it. There's light-hearted areas and some places where this fandom is taken far too seriously. Try not to be offended to easily and don't take challenges to your opinion as a personal attack....hard as it is (and sometimes it's intended that way) just try to rise above it, just report 'em to the mods, don't allow yourself to get baited.

    Oh yes....and above all have fun!

  17. #17
    Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    19,734

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    Quote Originally Posted by Egeria
    ....what everyone else has said.

    I'll just add, grow a thick skin...depending where you hang out here you might need it. There's light-hearted areas and some places where this fandom is taken far too seriously. Try not to be offended to easily and don't take challenges to your opinion as a personal attack....hard as it is (and sometimes it's intended that way) just try to rise above it, just report 'em to the mods, don't allow yourself to get baited.

    Oh yes....and above all have fun!
    now someone tells me

  18. #18
    Major
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    L O S T
    Posts
    2,581

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    do: be disgustingly cheery 24/7, and support your fellow posters no matter how absurdly wrong they may be.

    don't: ever actually say how you feel. you'll get yelled at.

    don't: care about reputation points. they are, in fact, meaningless and are given out so frivolously that it doesn't matter.

  19. #19
    Major General Willow'sCat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10,202

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_Girl42
    #1 rule Post spoilers in spoiler tags or you could end up with a flurry of red rep or PMs
    Spoiler:

    Like this

    Spoilers are anything from S9/10 of SG-1, and S2/3 of Atlantis.

    And have fun.
    Spoilers rules also apply to other shows currently screening first runs... like Doctor Who or LOST. Oh and they apply to sigs as well.

    Definitely do have fun.

  20. #20
    Major jonno's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fleeing the Heron.
    Posts
    2,502

    Default Re: what are the do's and don't on gateworld for newbies

    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo
    don't: ever actually say how you feel. you'll get yelled at.
    lol - yeah that can happen ...

    how about - do: say what you feel, but do it diplomatically. Don't be blunt - back up waht you say with a few reasons. Then the only people who yell are the intolerant ones, and thus can be safely ignored.
    I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1659
    Last Post: May 31st, 2019, 04:18 AM
  2. Who do's tattoo's???
    By Elvis Honkey in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: March 2nd, 2012, 05:11 AM
  3. why isn't gateworld forums or Gateworld.net on here
    By Pharaoh Atem in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: September 27th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •