Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was it a mistake to make Jack a General?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was it a mistake to make Jack a General?

Does anyone think that maybe they made a mistake making jack a general, it could really limit the series. If RDA doesn't want to commit to stargate, then he could just be holding them back!!!!

It works for Season 8 atleast.

Comment

This is just my opinion , but I think the show has fallen off , I rather liked it when all 4 of them went on missions, now it seems like is all about the base and Oneal beging Genral , it has just seem to lost something for me .

Comment

i think having him as a general is a good thing.

RDA was slowly doing less and less and sooner or later, that would mean that he would leave the show or it would end. having him as a general gives him an excuse for not being in it as much and will hopefully mean more seasons with him.

i am hoping that he will pull an admiral kirk. i would like Jack to do something against every rule and end up doing something amazing and instead of being kicked out of the military, get demoted and put back on sg1.

sigpic

Comment

Anything to reduce is scheduel down to suit him. It was done because it needed to be done.
          __

__

Comment

I miss General Hammond terribly but with the limited number of episodes we've seen in season 8 I think it's been a very good move to make Jack a General. They seem to be using RDA's limited time more effectively and I also think the subtle change in the dynamic between Jack and the team has been interesting to watch. It also allowed Sam to take on a new role as team leader and I am also enjoying that development.

IMO RDA seems to be more engaged with playing Jack this season. I think the change has given him some character development to play around with and he seems to be enjoying the acting challenge.

As for how it affects season 9, I assume if they can work the budget for a season 9 it will only be with RDA's participation. He'll still be General Jack in season 9. As much as RDA relishes his time off to be with his child he also still seems to enjoy the social life of working on the show five months a year. If he doesn't mind the travel (which I can't believe, I'd hate the constant plane flights) I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign on again.

If there's no season 9 and they choose to go to the occasional movie I think Jack could be a General or whatever they want. I'm sure they could write a script that allowed Gen. Jack to be involved in all the off-world action once again.
            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
              Anything to reduce is scheduel down to suit him. It was done because it needed to be done.
              Which is good, because if there is a Season 9, TPTB can make him a character that is rarely on screen.
              sigpic

Comment

If I didn't know anything about RDA's life, I'd say that it was not a mistake to make Jack a General. The character does have to evolve. In the military, that means a promotion.

Just remember, Kirk got promoted...once.
                Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                once done, cannot be undone...
                brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

personally i dont think it was a mistake. this season should have been expected to start slower, because they do need to make that transition and build up the new storyline, which is jack as general. and SG1 a 3 member team. by middle of the season things should hopefully pick up , but right now i say just be patient, jack cant come in be a general hammond , like he's been doing it for years. he's basically a rookie again and he's got to feel his way around, its actually enjoyable seeing how he responds to this role and the struggles he's having

Comment

No, not at all. RDA needed a lesser schedule and the general thing suits this.
                    We dont want him totally off the show, certainly.

I also think it will be fun to watch his character grow into the role of General.
                    The whole potato shipment thing, still amuses me.

I would rather not they go the Adm Kirk route. Let me just say it has been done and well....its just been done already.

Would like to see Hammond character again now and then. Do some diplomatic thing or something. Or make appearances as the Gen Vidrine character did.
                    "Let's make it TEN. Ten's a nice...round...number..." -- Morty

Comment

I don't think it was a mistake. This way if RDA ever does decide to leave the show then his character doesn't have to be killed off and he can still make guest appearances and such. Plus, it's very good for character development. I do miss him going off-world though, but I'm sure that they'll write in some episodes where O'Neill goes off-world though, it just wouldn't make sense for the character to completely stop.
                      Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                      RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

I don't think it was a mistake because so far they have been using RDA a lot better than last year even though it's still the beginning. Like a lot of others, I do miss him going on missions with the team but with the reduced schedule, I think it would be harder to explain his absence when he's suppose to be with the team. It is taking a bit to get used to, but I think it's working out really well. As for a season 9 if there is one it will definately be interesting to see what they do if RDA isn't in it, please don't kill him off though I don't think I could watch it, it was bad enough with Janet.
                        "Out of the way it's a busy day, I've got things on my mind." --Pink Floyd

Comment

One thing is for sure, I am really going to miss bits when daniel is talking to the indiginous people and jack is giving those confused expressions, it was quality stuff. also going to miss him annoying enemy jaffa by mocking them.
                          we've been used to seeing 4 of them going to planets and now 3 of them is going to be hard to getting use to. i just hope jack will come out on special missions, ie asgard stuff, replicators, major system lords, that sort of stuff.

Comment

No, I think they did it on purpose.

Madeleine

Comment

Absolutely was a mistake. Think about the character of O'Neill, not Richard Dean Anderson as an actor. The character would never have put himself behind a desk. So "RDA" wants to quit - let O'Neill retire. We all know both the character and the actor have earned it.

But moving O'Neill behind a desk, AND even worse allowing him to continue to wear those tacky ill-fitting fatigues, has reduced the impact of the entire cast.

Comment

Working...
                              X