Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What aould it take to DOWNLOAD the Atlanits Data Base ??

Jack O'Neill's brain, since it can contain the repository that were created later than Atlantis was sunk to the bottom of the sea.
    Signed,

Gregorius
    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Yeah but the respiratory eventually over took him i suppose they have enough time to take him to earth and hook about 1 million labtops up to him or ahve him put it all in the labtops.

In the SGC dont tell anyone im under the desk

Quote Originally Posted by zer0_1
    there is a way of calculating the size of the database
    based on season 1's ender, zelenka said they could only back-up 10% (give or take) of the data they have uncovered, which they have barely scrastched the surface, so based on that, that would mean 1% (or maybe less) was uncovered

now with the hardware the team had in 04/05
    in 04' the best, top-of-the-range laptops could store around 250 GB (now its more like 500 GB) and assuming that every member had a laptop, that would give around 50 laptops

250 x 50 = 12500 GB/ 12.5 TB

now if 0.01 of the database of atlantis is 12 TB, that would make it between 10 and 15 petabytes big
    Actually he didn't say it was that they could fit that they had uncovered. I believe he ment the whoel thing. Either way, it would be what the team had in '04 or '03 which id say 160 tops.. The Expedition was sent in 04 filming was in '03 lol.. So they took what ever they had in 04 and werent able to upgrade till season 2.

I beleive he ment 10% of the data total.. which means it wasnt that big, with the compression ration and all.. maybe a couple terra bytes but certainly we've sent it all out to SGC by now.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...289/stglw9.jpg

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Quote Originally Posted by Metonic
    Actually he didn't say it was that they could fit that they had uncovered. I believe he ment the whoel thing. Either way, it would be what the team had in '04 or '03 which id say 160 tops.. The Expedition was sent in 04 filming was in '03 lol.. So they took what ever they had in 04 and werent able to upgrade till season 2.

I beleive he ment 10% of the data total.. which means it wasnt that big, with the compression ration and all.. maybe a couple terra bytes but certainly we've sent it all out to SGC by now.
    Yes he did he said we can take 7 mabe 8 percent and thats only what we've uncovered we have only begun to scratch the surface blah blah blah in war there are casualties.

Chief Master Sergeant

The way I figure it, is... why not?

Assume we have only uncovered a small portion of the ENTIRE Atlantis database. Zelenka says that even with the encryption protocol Rodney designs, they can fit 7-8% of the database... that they know of.

Wouldn't it make sense to pack a whole lot of Dells on to an Asguard ship, have them send it over via. Express Post (Australian). Copy the entire database on to the Dells (they'd need about 15x the amount of hard drive they brought originally) and just send it back to the Stargate. They'd have a MUCH larger amount of people that can look through it... but also, in the dire situation that Atlantis falls, they'd have a copy of the database (even if it's only a small portion) to continue studying.

It seems to make sense. Even if they discover more of the database, then they can just send that back as it appears. Also if you consider, the Atlantis database, as HUGE as it may be, is limited by what the Ancients put in it. So there has to be a limit. We can continue manufacturing hard drives until we run out of material, so chances are we would eventually be able to back-up the entire database in the long run.

And for the note, GOD DAMN! We Australians get so ripped off when it comes to computer technology. A blank DVD is probably $1 each at its cheapest, which is what.. 75 US cents... duh... that's double. Even something like a 512 ram chip is $100 ($75US). Such a rip off.

You guys aren't understanding, no competent expedition would actually sit there with 200 laptops, downloading the database bit by bit, a little bit to each laptop. That's rediculous. They would take some sort of massive storage system (either something like a stock Dell storage system or a customized enormous hard drive rack filled with Seagate 750 GB HDDs, or even a super-large tape drive system.) Size isn't an problem, the Daedalus could easily fit even the largest storage servers. Why sit there switching between 200 laptops when you could download the entire database to a massive storage server?

Airman

Quote Originally Posted by Davidtourniquet
    In terms of commerical harddrives, I agree there isn't a 1TB harddrive. But we aren't talking about commerical harddrives, we are talking government harddrives. I think I've said this before, my great-grandfather work for the secret service and although he obviously couldn't give details to what he saw. He said, what ever tech you have now, the government has tech that is 25 years more advanced.
    Largest IDE hard drive available at NewEgg currently is 750gb, you'll be seeing 1tb disks within the next year or so.

I'm sure they could custom build a case and have seveal scsi cards in it and daisy quite a few disks together...

Then why don't you come here and buy all the stuff and get a job become a millionaire and go back to australia.

They could always pack up a whole crapload of jumpdrives which are small but pack a lot. Just take about 50 cases and we might be able to get it all we might be able to get it in less.

Just find out if there is a subspace conection between consules and the database and send a consule through the gate if there was a subspace connection it would eb easy to get it all.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by padr49904
    Yes he did he said we can take 7 mabe 8 percent and thats only what we've uncovered we have only begun to scratch the surface blah blah blah in war there are casualties.
    What do you mean by "uncover"?

If by "uncover" you mean things they accessed by haven't been able to actually read, Weir's list of things is pretty extensive. She mentions having to choose between things like ZPM research and ascension. If the Ancients didn't bother to "cover" those things, why would they cover anything else?

If by "uncover" you mean what they learned, I seriously doubt that they've learned 12-13 times more information than they could actually store. Human comprehension is only so good.

Chief Master Sergeant

I think he means what we, the AE, have uncovereed of teh database, like what we have found and been able to extract. Some of it may be protected, or just not explored by the AE yet.

How big is Wikipedia? Thats pretty much our Atlantis database right? I mean theres nothing you cant find on Wikipedia...aside from classified material of course. Anyway, why not add a search feature to the database, then we can search for files about ZPMs, The wraith instead of manually browsing through everything