Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What aould it take to DOWNLOAD the Atlanits Data Base ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys aren't understanding, no competent expedition would actually sit there with 200 laptops, downloading the database bit by bit, a little bit to each laptop. That's rediculous. They would take some sort of massive storage system (either something like a stock Dell storage system or a customized enormous hard drive rack filled with Seagate 750 GB HDDs, or even a super-large tape drive system.) Size isn't an problem, the Daedalus could easily fit even the largest storage servers. Why sit there switching between 200 laptops when you could download the entire database to a massive storage server?

Comment

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet
      In terms of commerical harddrives, I agree there isn't a 1TB harddrive. But we aren't talking about commerical harddrives, we are talking government harddrives. I think I've said this before, my great-grandfather work for the secret service and although he obviously couldn't give details to what he saw. He said, what ever tech you have now, the government has tech that is 25 years more advanced.
      Largest IDE hard drive available at NewEgg currently is 750gb, you'll be seeing 1tb disks within the next year or so.

I'm sure they could custom build a case and have seveal scsi cards in it and daisy quite a few disks together...

Comment

Then why don't you come here and buy all the stuff and get a job become a millionaire and go back to australia.

They could always pack up a whole crapload of jumpdrives which are small but pack a lot. Just take about 50 cases and we might be able to get it all we might be able to get it in less.
        sigpic

Comment

Just find out if there is a subspace conection between consules and the database and send a consule through the gate if there was a subspace connection it would eb easy to get it all.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by padr49904
            Yes he did he said we can take 7 mabe 8 percent and thats only what we've uncovered we have only begun to scratch the surface blah blah blah in war there are casualties.
            What do you mean by "uncover"?

If by "uncover" you mean things they accessed by haven't been able to actually read, Weir's list of things is pretty extensive. She mentions having to choose between things like ZPM research and ascension. If the Ancients didn't bother to "cover" those things, why would they cover anything else?

If by "uncover" you mean what they learned, I seriously doubt that they've learned 12-13 times more information than they could actually store. Human comprehension is only so good.

Comment

I think he means what we, the AE, have uncovereed of teh database, like what we have found and been able to extract. Some of it may be protected, or just not explored by the AE yet.

Comment

How big is Wikipedia? Thats pretty much our Atlantis database right? I mean theres nothing you cant find on Wikipedia...aside from classified material of course. Anyway, why not add a search feature to the database, then we can search for files about ZPMs, The wraith instead of manually browsing through everything

Comment

Working...
                X