Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What aould it take to DOWNLOAD the Atlanits Data Base ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What aould it take to DOWNLOAD the Atlanits Data Base ??

What would it take , and how many TB of memory would it take to DOWNLOAD the whole DATA BASE of the Ancients on the Atlantis Mother Ship ?

I would like to know , and how why do you think SG-A has done this yet , it would be a great idea over all .

Download the intire Data Base of Atlantis and send it back to SG-C so they could find more info out about Atlantis and some Ancients technology . There could be ways to devolope ZPMs , or how there WARSHIPS where designed . Maybe how to build a Weapons for are ships , so we could have stronger weapons agains others like the Ori .

The Data Base could also hold info , like where they stored other ships , or hangers that the Atlantis team havnt explored yet .

First, please use Search.

Second, the database is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

Comment

I thnk the database would be something like a couple of doggabytes that is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000GB.
      War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Comment

It all depends what communication systems the AE uses.

Letters from Pegasus:

McKAY: I think we can send a message back to Earth through the Stargate.
        BECKETT: Excuse me?!
        WEIR: I thought we didn’t have enough power.
        McKAY: Not to send a person, no. We’d never be able to maintain the wormhole long enough. But I think if we were able to tie together all of our power-generating capabilities, we might – and I emphasise might – be able to establish a wormhole long enough to send a message.
        SHEPPARD: How much time are we talking about?
        McKAY: Well, approximately, uh, one point three seconds, give or take.
        BECKETT: That’s not much time.
        FORD: Time enough to say, “SOS”!
        McKAY: Don’t be so analogue! One point three seconds is more than enough time to send a message if it’s in the form of a high compression data burst. Now, I helped refine the encoding for the US Air Force a few years back. Colonel Carter should be able to, uh, decipher it on the other side.
        SHEPPARD: You’re suggesting this now?
        McKAY: Because it probably won’t work, and there’s a very good chance it could overload our naqahdah generators in the process.
        SHEPPARD: Well, then, we can’t take the risk! No power, we won’t have a chance in hell!
        McKAY: There are three Wraith hive ships on the way, Major! Desperate times call for desperate measures. Besides, I spent the last few days working out ways of minimising the risk.
        WEIR: Assuming it’s possible, how much information could we send?
        McKAY: Everything. I mean, uh, mission reports from all the senior staff, uh, a ton of stuff on Atlantis, things we’ve learned in Pegasus ...
        FORD: All that, one second?
        SHEPPARD: One point three(!)
        McKAY: See, you jest, but if I can finesse the compression ratios, you’ll be looking for things to add.
        McKAY: Well, I've included a ton of data that we've been able to decipher from the Ancient database.

WEIR: Really? That is incredible!

McKAY (looking smug): Well, the algorithm I've devised is extraordinarily efficient, yes.

BECKETT: Oh, please!

(Aiden laughs silently.)

WEIR: It must be, in order to fit all that data into one point three seconds.

McKAY: Point three seconds, actually.

WEIR: We have a whole extra second to fill?!

McKAY: Mmm. A whole extra one, yes.

WEIR: Is it enough to include personal messages?

McKAY: Uh, sure -- I mean, several hours of video. Much more if it was strictly audio.
        It lets us get insight into the upload capacity.
        They were going to send a portion of the database along several videos, all sent within 1.3s.

And somewhere, I think they say how much of the database they could actually decipher, compress and send.

If we assume the best flux system, you'll get a cap size regarding the lantian database.
        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

They also talk about, either in that episode or a later one, how much of the Atlantis database they could potentionally take with them, Radek says that with all their Harddrives filled they could take 7% mayby 8%. That tells me that the Atlantis database is huge but not HUGE, so they should have sent it all back by now, either by HDD (on the Deadalus or through the gate) or transmissions in their daily contact with Earth.

Comment

what's do you think is bigger, everything on the internet, or the atlantis database?
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            Stargate : Genesis |
            Original Starship DesignThread
            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
            11000! green me

Comment

^ That was if they filled every harddrive with just the ancient database. In other every laptop and every spare. So say about 200 laptops and one spare on each. thats 400 harddrives. Say at 100GB a piece, thats 40000GB or 40TB and that was for only 8%. So in theory, assuming the numbers are correct, the size of the database is: 500TB. But that is only a rough estimate.
              I think it's actually way bigger. Try 1000 laptops with 1 backup at 1TB (after all this is the US military) so thats 2000TB. So that means the Database size is 25000TB.

Comment

there is a way of calculating the size of the database
                based on season 1's ender, zelenka said they could only back-up 10% (give or take) of the data they have uncovered, which they have barely scrastched the surface, so based on that, that would mean 1% (or maybe less) was uncovered

now with the hardware the team had in 04/05
                in 04' the best, top-of-the-range laptops could store around 250 GB (now its more like 500 GB) and assuming that every member had a laptop, that would give around 50 laptops

250 x 50 = 12500 GB/ 12.5 TB

now if 0.01 of the database of atlantis is 12 TB, that would make it between 10 and 15 petabytes big

Comment

[QUOTE=NATIK]They also talk about, either in that episode or a later one, how much of the Atlantis database they could potentionally take with them, Radek says that with all their Harddrives filled they could take 7% mayby 8%. That tells me that the Atlantis database is huge but not HUGE

that would be 7% maybe 8% out of 200,000% and remember asgard have more sophisticated methods of reading the ancients database pulled from jacks head and they havent even begun to stratch the surface they mentioned in 'new order' , thor also said he learnt ALOT !!! (thats probaly how they built the o'niel using some ancient knowledge)
                  sigpic

Comment

I disagree with you zero on one thing there: thats the harddrive size. These are gonna be your typical laptop, you buy off the street (or internet in terms of dell). The average speed cameras in Britain, use 3TB harddrives in them. So governments definitely have the ability to use Terrabyte harddrives and on any expedition you take more than one of something. Just in case, it gets lost, corrupted, full. So for that, using your method

1000 x 100 = 100,000TB
                    and if thats 1%

so its then 100000/0.01 = 10 million terrabytes or 10 exabytes.
                    So to download the whole ancient database, we would need: 10 million, 1 terrabyte harddrives.

Comment

First, laptops still don't come with 250gb harddrives, nor are 500gb harddrives available for laptops. Those are the sizes for full size desktop machines. There's also no such thing as a '3TB harddrive'. If they have 3TB of storage, they're using multiple harddrives in conjunction with each other, which is fine and an industry standard practice, but I don't see them walking around Atlantis with a string of harddrives dragging behind them.

Third I doubt they'd use the laptop harddrives to store it. For a long term expedition they would have brought tons of servers which high capacity (through the same multiple-harddrive technology I mentioned) and redundancy capabilities. The space the laptops would have would be dwarfed by the space on those servers.

Regardless, we don't have any idea how much space they did bring with them, nor exactly how efficient Rodney's algorithm is. Also I don't think Zelenka was talking about the decyphered data, just the raw data from the database, so that it could be worked on elsewhere, so that may have been 7% of the whole thing.
                      "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

In terms of commerical harddrives, I agree there isn't a 1TB harddrive. But we aren't talking about commerical harddrives, we are talking government harddrives. I think I've said this before, my great-grandfather work for the secret service and although he obviously couldn't give details to what he saw. He said, what ever tech you have now, the government has tech that is 25 years more advanced.

Comment

I always thought that either zelenka got it wrong or the entire database of the ancients wasn't yet fully discovered on atlantis (ie we havn't been able to access all of atlantises data stores at that point in time) or the city of atlantis (one of many cities) didn't have all of the ancient database.

The full ancient data base would be HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. Far greater than our technology minds can comprehend. First of flat chance atleast 50 million years of scientific accomplishment is something to be taken lightly. Thats practically 10 thousand times older than our entire civilisation period. Just our young civilisation has achieved so much interms of scientific knowledge that no one person could ever fully understand a mere fraction of it and thats not to mention the exponential rise in technology achievement during some periods in time.

Another is that as pointed out above the asgard having far suprior data extraction techniques and storage have barely been able to scratch the surface of the full scope of the ancient data base. Even over period of 1000's of years of working on it and their supreme level of technology they (the asgard) still could barely comprehend it.

More, you have no idea how far computer storage units can go. Data capacity has grown exponentially over the last few decades. True magnetic storage computers may just flat line sometime in the near future but we (as a several thousand year old civilasion) is fairly close to building the first quantum based computer technology. The goa'uld have mastered it in their crystal based technology not to mention the asgard who are even further advanced. You would expect that a race that is in the millions of years old to come up with something even more formidable. An trust me, the magnitude of the leap in data storage capacity that will be made when we switch to quantum computers will make this amazing exponential growth in magnetic storage weve had for the past few decades look miniscule.

So what do you think of the 7-8% incident? And please dont skim read my post.

Comment

think about daniel and replicarter in reckoning II, she shared his knowledge with all the replicators and it overwhelmed them, that was a small fraction of the small fraction of the ancients knowledge that daniel managed to bring to the surface. think how much space the whole of the internet takes up, thats only a small fraction of our species' combined knowledge, the ancient database is ALL of their knowledge from their whole entire history, literally everything is in there.

Comment

I wonder how much space could be freed up by deleting everyone's grandmother's old cassarole recipies...
                              [center]springhole.net - stuff for writers, roleplayers, and such creative people.

Comment

Working...
                              X