This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bragi
    Well, as another poster reminded me, both "Pegasus Irregulars" are metal poor galaxies. This means that they're mostly composed of hydrogen and helium.

So the galaxy in Atlantis is fictitious.
    There are two Pegasus Dwarfs, the Dwarf Irregular (dIrr), and the Dwarf Spheroidal (dSph). The latter is also known as Andromeda VI, as it is a closer companion to the Andromeda galaxy. The Peg dIrr appears to be more removed from the three big galaxies in the local group, though it is probably the furthest from the Milky Way.

I read somewhere once that dSph galaxies are generally composed mostly of older, red stars, while the dIrr galaxies have younger stellar populations. I adopted that as a reason to believe that Atlantis is in the Irregular Galaxy, and I think I should feel vindicated with that second image I posted.

But you're right, those are metal-poor galaxies, and probably aren't likely to have seen much planet formation, let alone have hundreds of earth-like rocks orbiting yellow stars.

Really, if they were out in the galactic void, they wouldn't see much of anything. Galaxies are so faint to the naked eye that they would see almost entirely blackness, not brilliantly glowing galaxies. For example, you can see the bright center of the Andromeda galaxy as a small fuzzy patch of light in the sky. But the galaxy actually fills an area of the sky seven times that of the full moon. It's just too far away to see.

a time to mourn

Comment

Maybe the Stars or planets were terraformed by some race or being making them habitale to humans, although unlikely that is a bit of a pet that the Actual Pegasus' are nothing much like the MW to no number of habitable planets or aliens is known even 50 light years away, all knowledge is pure speculation and Earth is the only habitable planet, but to be habitiale is for humans and all animals who breath oxygen so there could be creatures who don't follow that rule although it is though to some degree that would be unlikely but not impossible.

fascinating eh?
      For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

In the Atlantis pilot, didn't the recording say that the Ancients "brought life to the galaxy" or some such thing, meaning the Pegasus galaxy? If so, I would find it no great leap that the Ancients are responsible for all the habitable worlds present, as well as the biomes that can be found on them. After all, they had the entirety of the Milky Way to pick over from if they needed to transplant wildlife, etc. to new worlds.

But yes, both Pegasus galaxies on their own are highly unlikely to harbor anything other than a few low density terrestrial worlds, and a bunch of gas giants. There were plenty of other, more suitable galaxies that the producers could have picked from in the Local Group...
        "I could have sworn that was an aspirin I took this morning...."
        -----

Comment

Working...
        X