• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex Levine's SciFi Blog - Updates

http://blog.scifi.com/stargate/

July 14, 2006
    Back up on the cliff....
    So, first things first. The broadcast season is upon us, so I’m back to blogging. This week, get ready for the premieres of Season 10 of Stargate SG-1 and Season 3 of Stargate Atlantis. Now… season 10? It’s a little surreal. Every season people wonder how long SG-1 can continue and every season we’re pleasantly surprised to find out that nobody knows the answer to that question.

Next up, a little housekeeping. For those of you conspiracy theorists who thought that a string of my blog entries from late last season had been removed (redacted!) because of inappropriate content, stop theorizing! I wasn’t overly rude – in print anyway. I didn’t tell things I shouldn’t have – okay well I did that once but I was repentant and I learned from my mistakes. And I didn’t get fired! Yet. I think it was just some technical glitch, so the Scifi people tell me. Not to worry – I put the old entries back up, or the ones I could find, in any case. So enjoy. Discuss. Relive.

Now for the meaty business of the upcoming shows… As many of you know, I’m the script coordinator here (read: writer’s right hand man, producer’s adherent and aide-de-camp). I proofread scripts. I deal with clearances and product placements. I wear a lot of grey and taupe. And the result: they say all kinds of CRAZY stuff around me, as if I’m not even here! I mean… if I didn’t have to show these blogs to them before I post them, well… you would simply know too much! You would become a liability, and you would have to be silenced. So thank goodness for censorship. To recap: every week I sign on and tell you a bit about the upcoming shows and what it’s like to work behind the scenes… To wit:

* go to link for the rest *

Sorry if somebody has already posted this news, I looked and searched but did not find anything.

Anyway... Alex Levine has posted his first new blog in 4 months. Check it out at: http://blog.scifi.com/stargate/

Ace
    "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
      Sorry if somebody has already posted this news, I looked and searched but did not find anything.

Anyway... Alex Levine has posted his first new blog in 4 months. Check it out at: http://blog.scifi.com/stargate/

Ace
      Yup, posted earlier at

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...highlight=blog

THe search features seems to have gone awol...

Comment

Originally posted by prion
        Yup, posted earlier at

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...highlight=blog

THe search features seems to have gone awol...
        Yep... ok, just making sure! I guess I must have used different key words because your thread didn't show up in the search! Ohh well... no harm no foul

Ace
        "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
          Yep... ok, just making sure! I guess I must have used different key words because your thread didn't show up in the search! Ohh well... no harm no foul

Ace
          Nope. No harm no foul. I tried sevseral different key words to find one thread which should have been EASY to find, but nope, nada, zilch.

Comment

Alex Levine, the script coordinator for SG1/SGA, has updated his SciFi Channel blog on July 21.

From the SciFi Channel:

(Please follow the link for the complete update.)

A brief excerpt:

July 21, 2006

**snippage**

This week you’ll see Morpheus and Misbegotten…

I personally think Morpheus is one of the best looking SG-1 episodes ever. The backstory is this: at the start of the year, there were some changes with the Art Department/Production Design team, and modifications were made to our village set which… well… let’s just say not everybody was a fan. But we have some absolutely superb painters and set dressers. They did a paint overhaul, and added a lot of vegetation set decoration. And then Peter Woeste – well all I can say is he is one hell of a photographer. He added just the right amount of atmosphere (read: smoke), and did his photographic magic, and made the village set look amazing for this episode. I think you’ll agree when you see it.

**snippage**

ATL

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
            SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
            Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Alex Levine, the script coordinator for SG1/SGA, has updated his SciFi Channel blog on July 25th:

A brief excerpt:

July 25, 2006

Crossing over and stepping on…

Well… I’m still on hiatus, so still no news from the writer’s room....**snippage**...

So this week we get a great cross-over SG-1 written by Brad Wright, entitled “The Pegasus Project” and a hilarious, absolutely hilarious Atlantis episode starring Richard Kind, entitled “Irresistible.”

ATL

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Bringing it up. ALex posted his material early for tonight's episodes (28th). Only point is that hey, if he's going to call the women 'babes,' the least he can do is call the guys 'hunks' or better yet, just call the women 'women'

Comment

The blog's been updated!

Comment

Cool.

Some excerpts:

Sateda is as action as Stargate gets… this episode is loaded with fight scenes. I talked with James Bamford (aka “Bam Bam”, aka “The Silent Assassin”, aka “the Man with the Plan”), and he told me the action sequences in Sateda are very fast paced and stylistic. I asked what that means, and he said Rob Cooper, the director, used different film stock, played with variable frame rates, and used alternative shutter angles to achieve a non-stop action packed festival of Wraith killing wonder! Bam Bam told me Jason was seriously beat up at the end of the shoot – bruises, pulled muscles, fatigue – he had some very emotional scenes as well. In Bam Bam’s words, “he went balls out from the moment the camera started rolling until the final window shot at the end of the episode.” So I guess you can tell that James Bamford is a big fan of actors who can step up to the plate and perform their own action scenes and make it look as spectacular as planned!

In Insiders, all I have to say is you get to see all the Baal’s in the air at once. Yup… CLONES!

Comment

Excerpt:

SG-1’s “Uninvited” is a creature feature and has a great B-side plot featuring Landry and Mitchell. I gotta say, wait for the Fulvus Whistling Duck call… I don’t think I’ve ever laughed harder watching an SG-1 than this scene… And Joe Mallozzi just mentioned that Beau Bridges is actually a bird-watcher. Ahhh… It’s the little known facts that I love the best.

In Atlantis you get another Carl Binder gem, Progeny, which is an episode that introduces the new Atlantis villain… and it’s one you SG-1 fans will be well familiar with: The Replicators. I got a chance to watch the final visual effects for this one last week and it is a feast for the eyes. I don’t want to spoil the story but you’ll get to see the city of Atlantis like you’ve never seen it before. And you M*A*S*H* fans will enjoy seeing David Ogden Stiers out of his military greens – he played Major Charles Emerson Winchester III in that great sitcom.

*Click on link above for the full text*

Comment

Oof. Just bumping up in preparation for the next update today or tomorrow

Comment

SG1/SGA - Alex Levine's SciFi Channel Blog Updated Aug 19:

Alex Levine, the script coordinator SG1/SGA, has updated his SciFi Channel Blog on August 19th:

A brief excerpt:

August 19, 2006

**snippity doo-dah**

Around here, everyone’s excited about the big party. Yup, there’s a party to celebrate the 200th episode and some of the brass from Sci-fi and MGM and Sony are even coming up for the visit. Now, I wasn’t around for the 100th episode party, but I hear that one was a blast, so I’m looking forward to getting my drink on and my feed on and my groove on.

**snippage**

I don’t know if you’ve seen the sci-fi promo about the 200th but I promise it truly is just the tip of the iceberg. RDA is back in full effect, and Willie Garson, Christian Bocher, Herbert Duncanson, Peter DeLuise and Jill Teed all reprise their characters from the 100th episode, Wormhole X-treme. Now, the 200th episode (aptly titled “200”) has been kept extremely confidential because the producers did NOT want to let the cat out of the bag. I wasn’t even allowed to upload it onto our Virtual Production Office website for fear of spoilers…. Darn you spoilers! You just have to spoil everything, don’t you? Naw… just kidding… I understand why you do it… but for those of you who like your entertainment to be… well… entertaining, mind those spoilers. And hopefully you’ll be pleased and delightfully surprised by 200, which was written by all of the writers together. Each writer or team of writers wrote a particular act or vignette, and then Rob did a pass on the whole thing. I watched Ivon Bartok’s behind the scenes featurette on the 200 and it’s a doozy! Keep an eye out for that one on the DVD’s.

**snippage**

Until next week!
                          ATL

Posted by Alex Levine at 01:00 AM

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

The lastest blog entry for April 13th

http://blog.scifi.com/stargate/archi...oves_pret.html

In the immortal words of Ferris Bueller: “Life Moves Pretty Fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” So true! Well things are moving pretty darned fast around here, so let’s take a look-see around. First, the biggest news: Stargate SG-1 was not renewed for an 11th season. So sad. But there is a silver lining. We are currently in production/pre-production for two feature length straight to DVD Stargate SG-1 movies: Continuum and The Ark of Truth. And both are going to kick ass because they have bigger budgets and great stories. So stay tuned for details.

And we are full speed ahead with production of Atlantis Season 4. In fact, we’re already shooting episodes 4 and 5 of the new season. As a result, it’ll be tough not to spoil anything for those of you honest enough to wait for the television broadcast, but I promise to do my very best.

Meanwhile, there’s another big change to talk about, right at the top. What does that mean, you ask. Well I’ll tell you. But first we’ll have to start with a little crash course on TV production hierarchy. At the top of the food chain, at the lofty peak of creative decision-making, you’ve got your Show Runner (who is also an executive producer). Now, in TV, the writer is king. Unlike in feature films, where the directors and non-writing (financial) producers often are the bigwigs, in television the writer is so freakin’ important the creative decision-making buck stops with them. And the head writer is the “Show Runner.”
                            Click the link for the rest of the entry and some episode trivia.
                            sigpic

Comment

SG1/SGA - Alex Levine's SciFi Channel Blog updated Apr. 18:

From the SciFi Channel's Alex Levine (script coordinator) for SG1/SGA:

April 18, 2007

**major snippage**

Also, in case you’re wondering why nary a word is mentioned about the fact that Daniel is missing in this episode ["Line in the Sand"], the teaser (the first scene before the title) dealt specifically with Daniel’s absence, but had to be cut for time.

ATL

Posted by Alex Levine at 12:41 AM

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X