The Real World (306)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
    WC, Rodney and the rest of the team were in the infirmary the whole time trying to figure out what was going on and how to save Elizabeth. Jack showed up a handful of times in Elizabeth's reality, same military rank but the Stargate program was completely nonexistant. They had met when Elizabeth had acted as a diplomat for a nonproliferation treaty, IIRC.
    So I am thinking you need to be a total Weir fan and at least like the idea of Shep/Weir shipping to like this episode? Oh well, there is always CG and M&MM to look forward to... I hope. Thanks Toaster.

smushybird, I was never going to miss the 200th SG-1 ep, how could I? I am hearing good things about it; and yes I am thinking TRW is one for watching during the hiatus.

Comment

I just can't get past the nanites. What was their goal exactly? Take over her brain and what? And if they had enough intelligence to get to her brain and create a delusion, why the hell would they give up just because she saw through their plan? Why not just move on to a new body part and attack her lungs or her liver or some vital organ. Aren't they also programmed to be basically violent? They just gave up, just like that? What did her brain do electrocute them?

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Say marsh Angel, Did you by chance get to see the code on the web that was displayed during a commercial? I tried the url, but perhaps it expired. Idea...Info??? Thanks
        Keep both Stargate's on the air for years to come!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat
          So I am thinking you need to be a total Weir fan and at least like the idea of Shep/Weir shipping to like this episode?
          It didn't seem all that shippy to me. It was serious and a bit more mature than we normally see on the Stargates. I think you'll like it.

Comment

I thought it was a good episode. Torri did a fantastic job and I could really feel her stress. I did like finding out that the watch that sits on Elizabeth's desk is from her father. Just a little backstory touch that was neat.

Did like John breaking the barrier when everyone else seemed unwilling to touch her. No nanites for him? Uh, I guess I can let that pass.

Elizabeth defeating the nanites thru sheer will power, I can suspend belief for that. Don't like it, but I will let it pass.

Loved how Sheppard/shadow kept appearing in her dream world. Loved how when he was yellling at her to fight she was dumping the pills in the toilet. And the biggest "LOVED" part for me was when she had to choose between Jack (Earth) and John (Atlantis). She still wasn't sure which was the Real World but she went with her gut feeling.

Did like seeing Sedge. She is a great little actress doggie.

I can't explain why I did like this episode since the two of the main action parts need a suspension of belief, but it somehow struck a chord for me.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brdmacfreak
              Say marsh Angel, Did you by chance get to see the code on the web that was displayed during a commercial? I tried the url, but perhaps it expired. Idea...Info??? Thanks
              Sorry. Can't help. Didn't even notice it because I didn't watch the commercials.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

So I am thinking you need to be a total Weir fan and at least like the idea of Shep/Weir shipping to like this episode?
                Yes, I think if you like both of those things there's a better chance you'll enjoy this ep. Conversely, if you don't care for either you probably won't miss much by skipping it.

(btw, where did you find that pic of Gero (?) in an Atlantis uniform interviewing DH (?) in your sig? I must have missed that clip.)

Regarding SciFi's blatant attempt to get viewers to watch live and boost ratings the code that was displayed to access something special on scifi.com, I've been bouncing around forums and it seems like no one can access it the webpage. Way to go, SciFi.

Comment

OK as I am not really wanting to watch this can someone actually give a more detailed review? I know most don't until much later but please I really need to know if I should be bothering with this ep.

Also some info on Jack would be nice and yes was there any McKay in this?

Please.

I'll try.

Weir wakes up in a psych hospital outside of D.C. She is told that she collapsed during final negotiations with a group of African leaders while discussing nuclear weapons. She doesn't buy it and requests to talk to Jack O'Neill. O'Neill knows nothing about the SGC, or so he says. She refuses the drugs they try to put her on, but when she starts having hallucinations she begins to doubt the last two years in Atlantis.

Basically, this was a character ep. There wasn't big explosions or any war ships, so some people may have gotten bored. I liked it and thought Weir needed this growth. Personally, I loved it when she clocked that attendent. The girl really put up a good fight. (Not quite Teyla, of course.) We also met her mother.

We find out that after Niam grabbed her, he transferred some of his nanites into her. They're spreading throughout her body. Beckett, with McKay's help, figures out that they can isolate the nanites by injecting her with Wraith cells, which will act as a tumor. Because the nanites were created to destroy the Wraith they should go for the bait. (Beckett and McKay were great together discussing "brilliant" ideas. I wonder exactly what Rodney does in front of mirrors now. McKay's my favorite too, and while he wasn't the main star of this one, his conversation with Beckett was priceless.)

However, some of the nanites have started replicating using her organic brain tissue. It basically becomes Weir's consciousness v. Niam's consciousness. Organic V. organic. They're both fighting for her body. Niam has been using Jack's form to trick her.

Sheppard doesn't give up on her and urges her to keep fighting, exposing himself to the nanites in the process. McKay isn't happy at all by his reckless behavior. Weir wins. The ending may have seemed a little easy, but the rest of the ep certainly made up for it. Sheppard's shadow "thing" throughout was pretty cool. I thought they did a great job with the subtle suspense. The direction was top notch, and I was really impressed with the lighting and music. Also, I don't read spoilers so I come into it fresh. Like I said, this was a subtle, psychological ep. It wasn't trying to hit you with a frying pan.
                  Last edited by Chailyn; 18 August 2006, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Yes, I think if you like both of those things there's a better chance you'll enjoy this ep. Conversely, if you don't care for either you probably won't miss much by skipping it.
                    Well I asked around a few other place and that seems to be the consensus so... skipping.
                    (btw, where did you find that pic of Gero (?) in an Atlantis uniform interviewing DH (?) in your sig? I must have missed that clip.).
                    Oh that is on the Season 2, Vol 5; UK DVD release, Martin decided he wanted to be an actor *his dream* and he gets tips from David on acting and then he has a looooooooooooong hug with Joe. It is really funny.

Thanks Chailyn

Comment

So I am thinking you need to be a total Weir fan and at least like the idea of Shep/Weir shipping to like this episode? Oh well, there is always CG and M&MM to look forward to... I hope. Thanks Toaster.
                      You don't have to be a total Weir fan, but it helps. And I didn't think the 'shippy stuff was anything but the usual you've-got-to-fight-back pleading, etc. Nothing that you don't see in a million fan fics.

And I disagree that Rodney was an insensitive jerk. He was totally Rodney in his concern for Weir and wanting to come up with a cure. I agree that the resolution was not very convincing; it all seemed mainly set up for the 'ship stuff between Sheppard and Weir. When she kept seeing flashes of him, I'm surprised she didn't recognize the hair.

The Real World was more an all-Liz ep than GUP was an all-Rodney ep.

smushybird, I was never going to miss the 200th SG-1 ep, how could I? I am hearing good things about it; and yes I am thinking TRW is one for watching during the hiatus.
                      Oh yeah, I know--I didn't think you'd skip that one (tho another fan I watched it with didn't like it at all). I don't usually ever post in the SG1 threads, either, but I commented on SG1 because it was so much fun and the slash was just delicious.

p.s. The Sci Fi site code thing was idiotic. You couldn't get to the site for love or money. I still have no idea what that was about. Now I guess they know just how many fans SGA has.

Comment

Originally posted by Chailyn
                        I'll try.

Weir wakes up in a psych hospital outside of D.C. She is told that she collapsed during final negotiations with a group of African leaders while discussing nuclear weapons. She doesn't buy it and requests to talk to Jack O'Neill. O'Neill knows nothing about the SGC, or so he says. She refuses the drugs they try to put her on, but when she starts having hallucinations she begins to doubt the last two years in Atlantis.

Basically, this was a character ep. There wasn't big explosions or any war ships, so some people may have gotten bored. I liked it and thought Weir needed this growth. Personally, I loved it when she clocked that attendent. The girl really put up a good fight. (Not quite Teyla, of course.) We also met her mother.

We find out that after Niam grabbed her, he transferred some of his nanites into her. They're spreading throughout her body. Beckett, with McKay's help, figures out that they can isolate the nanites by injecting her with Wraith cells, which will act as a tumor. Because the nanites were created to destroy the Wraith they should go for the bait. (Beckett and McKay were great together discussing "brillant" ideas. I wonder exactly what Rodney does in front of mirrors now. McKay's my favorite too, and while he wasn't the main star of this one, his conversation with Beckett was priceless.)

However, some of the nanites have started replicating using her organic brain tissue. It basically becomes Weir's consciousness v. Niam's consciousness. Organic V. organic. They're both fighting for her body. Niam has been using Jack's form to trick her.

Sheppard doesn't give up on her and urges her to keep fighting, exposing himself to the nanites in the process. McKay isn't happy at all by his reckless behavior. Weir wins. The ending may have seemed a little easy, but the rest of the ep certainly made up for it. Sheppard's shadow "thing" throughout was pretty cool. I thought they did a great job with the subtle suspense. The direction was top notch, and I was really impressed with the lighting and music. Also, I don't read spoilers so I come into it fresh. Like I said, this was a subtle, pschological ep. It wasn't trying to hit you with a frying pan.
                        Thank you very much. That was an awesome description, a lot of imagery used and I loved reading your perspective.

Thanks for that Chailyn!

Comment

I just have to say how much I loved this episode. It was very well written and Torri did an excellent job. She deserves an award for this episode.

Comment

Fantastic episode. I love character based episodes, and this one is my favorite of the season - which says something, because Sateda was so awesome, but this is almost exactly the opposite of that. While Sateda was all about action and mayham, I liked that TRW decided to go with the psychological warfare instead. Very creepy, and very nicely done.

Torri Higginson's performance was impressive, and I especially liked the scene where she's inching towards the door, apprehension totally apparent on her face, and then the orderly notices and stands in her way - she plows right into him! Nicely done! I almost didn't know Weir had it in her! Also loved her quiet breakdown. Nice display of emotions throughout the entire episode.

Jack was a very nice addition to the episode! Although, how can one go wrong with Jack? Best line was the one about fantasies. Ah, Jack, if you only knew how many women (and a few men) truely did fantasize about you. *dreamy sigh* Is it me, or did Jack have more lines in this episode than he did in "200"?

The plot - been done before, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it. It's like Alternate reality episodes - no matter what, I'll tune in and watch. I love the glimpse into other possibilities. This one was nicely messing with your head!

I love that the PTB are remembering that Carson is a full time cast member as much as the next man over. I love that Carson, Rodney, and John were there for support the entire time.

I love the Rodney-Carson duo. They vibe with each other on a geek level, and I am continuely amazed that David Hewlett has chemistry with every single cast member on Atlantis - no hold's bar. I loved their way of dealing with Elizabeth's situation was to get into scientific mode.

But John took the cake, and unsurprisingly (especially since I knew the spoilers beforehand), the main focus of concern back at Atlantis was from him. John was to Elizabeth in this episode what she was to John in "Conversion." They served as each other's touch with reality. I loved that. The scene where he breaks through the quarantine section - against all logic - is largely a mirror to the scene where Elizabeth faces Wraith-bug!John against all logic. Nice symmetry.

On a more shallow note, I do believe Torri is getting hotter by the episode. My God, I want that leather outfit she had! I also appreciated the girly white shirt in the next scene, and the suit she wore to the UN. I like to think of that as the "power suit." Some woman just pull off a suit in a way I envy. Congrats to the clothing department for finally getting her some consistantly nice "Earth" clothes (I'm thinking mainly of the hideous shirt she wore in "Intruder" when Simon broke up with her - urgh! Must scrub that memory from my brain!).

I'm glad that the PTB are finally giving Weir some meaty things to do. It's about damn time. I only hope this trend will continue, because Torri obviously has the chops cut out for it. Season three looks to be promising on that front.

Now, if only the same could be said of Teyla. Hello, PTB, please remember you've got two kick-ass females on the show. Don't forget either one, please!
                            My Livejournal, feel free to friend me.

Comment

(btw, where did you find that pic of Gero (?) in an Atlantis uniform interviewing DH (?) in your sig? I must have missed that clip.)

Regarding SciFi's blatant attempt to get viewers to watch live and boost ratings the code that was displayed to access something special on scifi.com, I've been bouncing around forums and it seems like no one can access it the webpage. Way to go, SciFi.
                              I quite liked the episode, subtle is a good way to describe it. Plot's been done to death, but I still like it.

Anyway, to get to the exclusive content

http://www.scifi.com/pulse/
                              go to MOST VIEWED - choose SGA season 3 trailer (you must choose SGA)
                              twiddle thumbs as video loads
                              in bottom right hand corner you get a column, find SGA content - click on that
                              next, choose EXCLUSIVE CONTENT

and voila! has spoilers for THE RETURN

Joe talks, Torri talks, the dog talks, er, well, it's there

Comment

I really liked this episode, mainly because Torri doesn't get much of a chance to exercise her acting chops, and she did a good job of it tonight. There were some Shep/Weir romantic hints, but I like those two together, and it wasn't so "in your face" to irritate the noromo crowd.

The nanite thing was iffy and I didn't quite swallow the bit on how she could fight them off herself, but it had to end somehow.

The one glaring issue was how the nanites were so quick to attack Wraith tissue and destroy it. They were programmed years ago to aggressively fight the Wraith, yet the Asurans sat on that silly planet all this time, building a huge city and ship, without ever going after the Wraith, and all they can say is, "We'll get them in due time." Sort of a contradiction in aggressive traits.

Hey- was that BamBam as one of the orderlies in the asylum??

Overall a pretty good episode, but it had to be tough to follow SG1 tonight. That episode was incredible.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Working...
                                X