This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Israel/Lebanon situation

JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Israeli warplanes early Friday bombed southern Beirut, home to the offices of Hezbollah and the group's leader, as the Israeli-Lebanese violence that has killed dozens of Lebanese civilians and 10 Israelis entered its third day.

Earlier, Israel had dropped leaflets warning residents to stay away from the Hezbollah offices in southern Beirut, where Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah is thought to live.
    Israeli planes also bombed the main highway between Beirut and the Syrian capital of Damascus.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...ast/index.html

https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

damn with north korea doing what they do it feels like world war 3 is coming soon.
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

And Iran is being insidious with this whole thing. You can't reason with these people. Israel made concessions, time and time again, and every single time, they get attacked. No, Israel has every right to go after the terrorist networks that supported the murdering of their people. Shame on the Lebanese for doing nothing about this. For those Lebanese that don't want this **** to go any further, just get rid of Hamas/Hezbollah. Expel them from the country, arrest their leaders, do something, for your own people.

This has gotten out of hand. The Israelis get their soldiers kidnapped, and then get into a pissing match for two weeks because these two terrorist networks refuse to surrender their soldiers, and now there are talks of soldiers being transported to Iran?

I'm sorry, but the whole sane world should be telling the Lebanese government to insure they're released. At this point, we don't even know if they are alive, which only makes the matters worse. And now, an Iran Revolutionary Guard contingent in Lebanon went and shot off a missile against Haifa.

This has gotten out of hand. Worse, they were attempting to punish Israel for trying to put a stop to these people attacking their country. Bolton shot it down, and Britain abstained from voting.

Worst of all, its the Extremists fault.

With the situation going on between Russia and China with N. Korea, we could see another explosion there. Worst of all, our forces are right in the middle if Iran should decide to get involved (along with the Iraqi Military).

No one wants to see **** hit the fan over there, but my gosh why won't anyone just be reasonable over there.

This has gotten just plain out of hand.
      http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

lol, it's gotten outta hand three times before over there. 1. Israel fighting the whole Arab world in '47/'48 2. The Six Day War in '67 3. Yom Kippur War in '73. (God forgive me for the horrible grammer there). Frankly, I think that the Arabs are trying to provoke Israel into a full scale invasion or something that would give them the excuse to launch another jihad. Also, although Iran has threatened to wipe Israel off the map, I find it highly unlikely that they would work with the Arabs in Syria/Palestine/Lebanon, since they are two different branches of Islam (Sunni and Shi'ite), and we've already seen how they get along in Iraq (with civil war breaking out between Sunni and Shi'ite militias, for those who haven't been keeping up). They both want the destruction of Israel, but they aren't willing to work with each other to do it, basically.

If anything, I think Russia and China would be sideing more towards North Korea if war did break out (hopefully a big if, I'm planning to join the military soon and I don't want to be sent into the middle of a freakin nuclear war), since they are traditional allies of the DPRK. I am glad that Japan is showing some backbone here, and are willing to launch strikes to prevent missles from being launched (although all the news agencies say Japan doesn't have the capability to preemptivly attack NK, they do have the 3rd best navy in the world behind the U.S. and Britain, and we supply much of their equipment for their Air Force, so it wouldn't suprise me if they do have the capability somewhere in their military.)

Comment

BEIRUT, Lebanon (CNN) -- Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora on Saturday said Israeli attacks had turned his country into a "disaster zone."

Israeli warplanes struck Lebanese ports, the capital Beirut and the border area near Syria as Hezbollah launched scores of rockets from Lebanon into Israel on the fourth day of violence.
          Siniora called for an immediate cease-fire and international help to stop attacks from what he called Israel's "war machine," according to CNN's translation.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/...ast/index.html
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

This has gotten out of hand. Hezbollah woke up a beast, the Lebanese government is in quite a predicament, and both sides are wanting to blow each other up. It's bad because both the Israelis and Hezbollah is being puppeted.

Why won't people just realize that the Israelis want peace, and everytime they give up something, these terrorist groups are pushing for more. It's annoying. This has gotten out of hand, and neither side is willing to back down. It's sad.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24

Why won't people just realize that the Israelis want peace, and everytime they give up something, these terrorist groups are pushing for more.
              Because they're idiots?

The maddening thing is that the KGB was mostly responsible for taking an existing Pan-Arab Nationalist movement creating from it the modern Islamist Terrorist movement; and not only are they not taking responsibility, nobody is even TALKING about it.

In terms of Israel, the argument has been made that their response is out of proportion. The problem with that line of reasoning is that it is only true if the event that led to the current hostilities (The kidnapping.) had occurred in a vacuum.

In reality of course, it didn't. The kidnapping was more in the nature of a "Last Straw". Plus of course, the concern over the Iranian issue means that Israel has to consider that once Iran gets nukes the whole game changes. To put it differently, Israel has in likelyhood decided that her terrorism problem needs to have a final and definitive solution BEFORE Iran get's nukes.

"Atheism - the religion devoted to the worship of one's own smug sense of superiority."
              - Stephen Colbert
              "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Give a man religion and he'll starve to death praying for a fish."

Comment

Hamas/Hezbollah should give up, Lebanon should take control.... I mean a lot of them are Christian and not Muslim....And Israel could've just sent in Special Ops like Mossad or something, or maybe a smaller military force. Many Israeli civilians die by the hands of terrorists, yet when two soldiers get KIDNAPPED the Israeli government and military reacts this way?

Thats like the US not going to war because of the 3,000 or so American civilians that died on 9/11 and instead only launched a war when a few US troops get kidnapped and taken hostage. I would regard such a reaction as a bit "disproportionate".

If I were an Israeli... I'd be pissed off at my government for not reacting in this manner when hundreds of Israeli civilians get killed (probably including my own friends/family), but when a mere pair of soldier boys being kidnapped... and the I.D.F. launches a full scale war? What the hell?!?!?!

I think that a large number of Israeli civilians being killed should be more of a last straw, than the kidnapping of a few Israeli soldiers.
                http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General

I think that a large number of Israeli civilians being killed should be more of a last straw, than the kidnapping of a few Israeli soldiers.

The nature of a "Last Straw" is such that ANY event can be "It".

"Atheism - the religion devoted to the worship of one's own smug sense of superiority."
                  - Stephen Colbert
                  "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Give a man religion and he'll starve to death praying for a fish."

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran
                    damn with north korea doing what they do it feels like world war 3 is coming soon.
                    In the past I figured humans were too smart to start another world war when nukes (and thus total destruction) would be the most likely result. I have since lost such faith in humanity. Religous fanatics dont only care if they die, they dont care if their friends, family or the entire human race dies. They just want to be "right" and since they can never ever be "right" in this world, they are of the mind to take this world out.

So yea, I can see WWIII is coming and then that will be that...probably better for the planet and the rest of the universe anyway.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                      In the past I figured humans were too smart to start another world war when nukes (and thus total destruction) would be the most likely result. I have since lost such faith in humanity. Religous fanatics dont only care if they die, they dont care if their friends, family or the entire human race dies. They just want to be "right" and since they can never ever be "right" in this world, they are of the mind to take this world out.

So yea, I can see WWIII is coming and then that will be that...probably better for the planet and the rest of the universe anyway.
                      Nah, if any human survives Nuclear holocaust, it'll be those in New Zealand.

*Hmm, considering buying a ticket to New Zealand.*

Comment

An American Nobel Prize winning physicist called Steven Weinberg once said: "Religion is the greatest insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things but in order for a good man to do evil things, it takes religion." That is exactly what we are seeing in the middle east right now.

These guys in Lebanon, in Hezbolah, are not evil men at heart. They believe they are doing the ultimate good. They believe they are serving God and they believe by wiping Israel off the map and taking back their holy land they are doing God's work. Israel is there today because of religion. The Muslims are trying to iradicate Israel today because of religion. There are of course historical social injustices at work too but the root of this and what is at the centre of this right now is the thing that people are too pollite-or too devout-to notice: religion, and specifically the devaluing effect that religion has on human life. All this is being done for completely illogical reasons for an equally illogical and impossible non-existent being. The sad truth is that as long as religion is a part of peoples lives, this (and similar) problems will exist. The reason for that is faith.

Faith is the most dangerous thing a person can have. Faith is the belief in something despite, or even because of, the lack of evidence. On one side you've got a group of people who say, "I believe what I believe, because I believe it. I have my Holy Book and it has to be true becaue I believe it's God's word and nothing will ever change my mind." On the other side you've got a group of people who have completely different beliefs who say, "I believe what I believe, because I believe it. I have my Holy Book and it has to be true becaue I believe it's God's word and nothing will ever change my mind." When you disregard logic and reason and embrace faith there is only one way to solve a dispute and it's what we are seeing now in the Mid-East. You can't sit down and come to an agreement based on evidence and reason. And that is the only way to solve this problem.

Forget how Israel came to be or what has been done wrong to the Muslims of the region. It means nothing now. We are on the brink of a disaster and we have to resolve this. The truth is Israel is not going anywhere. It would be an impossible thing to do and the people who live there now are not the same people who took the land. The only way Israel can be destroyed now is with Nuclear weapons and the problem with that is if Hamas or Hezbolah do that they can't take the land back and they will destroy themselves and their land in the process. It would be a kamikaze mission, but right here we come back to the danger of religion and the devaluing effect that religion has on human life. I don't mean devaluing the life of others (though it can do that too), but devaluing one's own life. Religion teaches the dangerous nonsense that death is not the end. These fundementalist religious groups have implicable faith that dying in work of God is the equivalent to pressing the hyperspace button and zooming through a wormhole to another universe. They believe that that other universe is a paradisical escape from the tribulations of the real world. Top it off with sincerely believed sexual promises—ludicrous and degrading to women though they are—and is it any wonder that naïve and frustrated young men are clamoring to be selected for suicide missions? Such belief makes the world a very dangerous place and makes the likelyhood of such an attack a very real possibility. What it takes now is for people of reason to sit down now come to a resolution. Discussion is what it takes. Violence begets violence. Sure, Israel has a right to defend itself but in killing hundreds of civillians in the process they are giving their enemy all the proganda they need to continue their actions. Concessions have to be made, deals have to made with these terrorist groups and religious leaders will have to be brought in to stop this madness now and convince the general populous to get behind peace. Israel will have to be the bigger person here and take the first step. Leave the ego outside and do whatever is necessary to ensure peace and stability in the region. If they want to overcome a terrorist group they have to win the hearts of the people in the countries in which the terrorist groups operate by providing them a better life or the real promise of a better life. Do that and the terrorist will wither and die. Going in and blowing the sh*t out of the people there and you only feed flames to the terrorist fires.

To close I'll quote Richard Dawkins: "To fill a world with religion, or religions of the Abrahamic kind, is like littering the streets with loaded guns. Do not be surprised if they are used."
                        'Isn't it enough to see that the garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the end of it too?' - Douglas Adams

Comment

I was with you, right up until the end. Religion makes negotiating in this instance irrelevant. Unless the Muslim people as a whole take a stand that murdering innocent people is wrong AND agree that people who disagree with your religious beliefs are still basically innocent. Until then there is nothing Israel can ever do or give to make them stop. If you are being attacked by an unreasonable enemy you are left only with the option of using the force necessary to defend yourself. Sometimes taking the offensive is the best way to defend youself in the long run.

The people fighting believe that anyone that disagrees with their faith is not innocent (whether they be Jewish, Christian, atheist or another Muslim)and therefore they are free to kill them in the name of God. There is no negotiation, they don't have to negotiate because they insist they are right and that everyone else is wrong. Everyone MUST agree with EVERYTHING they say or they are evil and must be destroyed. They do not understand that there will NEVER be a world where EVERYONE agrees with them just like there will NEVER be a world where everyone agrees with Israel or the US or Britain or China or Russia...

Killing 'innocent' people is wrong, attacking legitamet military targets with the strongest possible force to create the quickest end is the way to go. But when your enemy puts thier legitamet military targets in the middle of innocents then you have a problem. Its always been a problem. The fanatics use the "weakness" of the other peoples relgious beliefs against them.
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

While I support Israels right to defend themself, I don't support the way they did it nor do I support any other action they've taken the last decade.

I'm quite anti-Israel (Government, not the people)

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                              Religous fanatics dont only care if they die, they dont care if their friends, family or the entire human race dies. They just want to be "right" and since they can never ever be "right" in this world, they are of the mind to take this world out.

Don't kid yourself that this is about religion. Religion in these situations is nothing more than a convenient excuse.

- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Working...
                              X