The Storm (110)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoilers for the Storm/The Eye

Atlantis is in grave danger: a massive hurricane is bearing down on the city. Facing their own possible destruction, Dr. Weir and the team devise a plan to temporarily evacuate the inhabitants from Earth before the storm hits, and return later. Only a handful of people stay behind to see that the evacuation is complete, including Weir, Major Sheppard, and Dr. McKay.

But the powerful storm may not be the biggest of their worries. Having received intelligence about the evacuation of Atlantis from a race called the Manarians, the Genii are planning a covert take-over of the city and its resources. Led by Chief Cowen, the Genii are a race of humans from another world that the Atlantis team has recently encountered ("Underground"), who oppose the Wraith but refuse to ally themselves with the people of Earth. Instead, Cowen orders a team to infiltrate Atlantis after most of its residents have been evacuated, and return with supplies, explosives, and the Wraith data device that Sheppard took when last they met -- before the storm hits.

The infiltration unit is led by the ruthless Commander Acastus Kolya, and older warrior with a powerful presence. He expresses concern over his team of young recruits, however, telling Cowen that they are not ready for a mission such as this. Cowen insists that their war with the Wraith makes the risk necessary.

The Genii are successful in seizing control of Atlantis, taking Weir and McKay hostage. Major Sheppard eludes them, however, forcing Kolya to play a dangerous game of cat and mouse. But in this game, the Genii soon learns, Sheppard may not be the mouse.

Comment

A good episode along with its second part to get lost in and be entertained. Great villains to outsmart in the form of the Genii. Robert Davi played my favourite Bond villain so it was great to see him scheming and being ruthless here. For me he gives us the best villain of the SGA series. Sheppard was pretty entertaining as he found different ways to foil the plot to take over Atlantis!

Comment

Midweek, another ep of Atlantis.

1. This one's always worth the rewatch value, the start of the first real Atlantis classic two parter.

2. Kolya has certainly grown on me over time.

3. You sort of remember that as much of a bleep as Sora can be, Kolya's even nastier in a way he's more of a symbbol of how scummy the Genii can be than Cowan.

4. So some other races knew of the true nature of the GEnii, or at least some leaders.

Still rocks, and the next one's going to rock even more!
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

As much as I love the two parter as a whole part I is not really good. Sadly this episode suffers from the problem many Stargate two parters suffer from. Their so much exposition and build by the time we get some action its time for those "to be continued" words to appear on the TV screen. Its not until like the 30 minute mark that Geni come in and storm Atlantis. And ultimately that is wrong with this episode. We have the going through the motions of the storm and McKay developing one of his magic solutions and then we have evacuating everyone with the main cast being the ones able to save the city by rerouting the grounding stations. Its just kind of boring. Once Sheppherd gets to parody Die Hard the episode gets really exciting especially because it becomes a battle of Sheppherd playing a real wordl chess game. Its fun to see those two battle each other out and its fun to see Koyla antagonize McKay and Weir. But that fun takes a little too long to develop.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

The Storm

Well this looks to be exciting... SGA has it's first non-pilot two parter, Atlantis itself is put through it's first major threat, and the aforementioned storm has the potential to destroy Atlantis from the belly up; but wait! There's also the involvement of new enemies Genii, a simplistic situation that turns into a deadly one and even action galore; so it should be exciting right?

Well it is... but it can also be boring at the same time. Don't get me wrong, I was entertained my some of the moments; the impact of the storm and the visual of the storm is both something that's breathtaking and forms the basis of a decent plot, (I mean who knows how Atlantis will hold up in a storm.) It's somewhat enjoyable to see the Atlantis crew as they attempt to work on a plan to save the city but there doesn't seem to be much of those entertaining moments in the first part of what should hype the audience for the second part. For much of the episode, we're watching scenes that should be entertaining but drag on for who knows how long and when a scene drags, it can usually divert your attention; through all of the scenes with the Atlantis crew and other people, you're secretly wishing that you could watch something with a bit more entertainment value. I don't know how it's possible, I mean they have the usual Stargate humor and even the awesome moments that Stargate fans come to know and love but none of it seems to mix together to provide something entertaining.

They're all there but the spark seems to be missing...

The point where the Genii get involved increase the energy levels slightly, if mainly for the task force that they bring through the gate. The task force really shows the true power of the Genii and as a plus represents Atlantis's first invasion; the guy leading the thing is cool, he knows martial arts, talks in a slick and sly manner and pulls no punches; he is one of the most interesting guys in the episode and one which'll likely provide most of the tension should the second part comes around. The other Genii are cool, they manage to play the whole takeover/hostile thing well, even to the point of Torture and their actions are as slick as they can ever be. The Atlantis crew up their acting in order to match the energy of the invasion but the real surprise is Shephard, who impersonates John McCain in order to provide the episode with a sort of homage to Die Hard. Shephard plays a good John McCain as he sneaks around, planning stuff against the Genii and taking action; his scenes could be considered the most enjoyable scenes here (especially his yelling) but despite all that, the scenes still manage to be boring. I don't know, I should be excited when a group of unknown people invades Atlantis but the scenes here lack a certain kind of energy that should of been exhibited by everybody around; when I'm watching an invasion, I want to be watching an invasion, not a bunch of people standing around... It's a bad thing when an invasion manages to be boring but it still manages to be a good invasion regardless.

The plot is decent and the characters more then hold their own; even though much of it is them preparing for the storm, it builds up the episode and subsequently raises expectations towards Part 2. I kinda understand why they did it, if you were a kid and you were setting dominoes then you'd probably be more focused on setting them to provide the best possible payoff, however what I said before applies here. The scenes involving Teyla, Ford and Beckett are good ones that shows how the Athosians prepare for this kind of stuff, show how people deal with/in a storm even with an invasion going on and shows the kind of things people do when they sit around worrying about what's going to happen next. There isn't any attempt to do anything overly dramatic and silly but that's the point, these scenes are meant to show the characters all by themselves while it may be a bit boring, it helps to show why we love them so much. Dr. Weir was a bit out-of-character (asking questions, being confused despite the fact she's heard of them.) and weak in this episode but she was good regardless. Episodes like this show why Dr. Weir is an integral part of Stargate Atlantis, she brings a form of compassion and dedication that no other character would bring if placed in her shoes; if anybody else were in her shoes then the show just wouldn't be the same.

Just sitting in the rain...

It even manages to incorporate some of that Stargate humor people know, with Shephard being forced to walk long distances and the small conversations regarding things such as bacon; it may be lessened but it does show that the Stargate guys know how to have fun even during a serious time such as this. Stargate two-parters have always had some form of humor included, particularly to break up the monotony; who knows why they were included but they certainly form an element as to what makes these two-parters the experience that they are. A two parter without jokes is kind of like New Years Eve without the dropping ball, competent but not special; these jokes are what makes these specials what they are and I'm glad they haven't forgotten about that. I'm going to use the last few sentences to complain about some stuff, the Genii are portrayed as intelligent so why do they make stupid decisions, especially decisions that are easily preventable. I know the other Genii are smart but they're supposed to be portrayed as a powerful threat, not as a bunch of headstrong people who shoot first, ask questions later. Also the scene involving a drunk Athosian annoyed me, I know it's required for the episodes sake but there is something about him that irks me in a bad way.

Despite the fact that it's boring, it manages to set up expectations for the second part of the two-parter. We get some decent characterization and some decent action and as a plus, the storm is awesome. As the storm approaches ever so closely and lives are on the line, we're are on pins and needles as we wonder what will they do next and that will all be revealed... come the next episode of course.

7.0/10
            Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
              The Storm

It even manages to incorporate some of that Stargate humor people know, with Shephard being forced to walk long distances and the small conversations regarding things such as bacon; it may be lessened but it does show that the Stargate guys know how to have fun even during a serious time such as this. Stargate two-parters have always had some form of humor included, particularly to break up the monotony; who knows why they were included but they certainly form an element as to what makes these two-parters the experience that they are. A two parter without jokes is kind of like New Years Eve without the dropping ball, competent but not special; these jokes are what makes these specials what they are and I'm glad they haven't forgotten about that.
              In the commentary, the writer Martin Gero stated that he included the bacon conversation as a quick way for the audiance to connect with these guys before they were killed off . . . because everybody loves bacon. (Well, I suppose the Jewish and Muslim audiance might not have as strong a connection with these characters.)

Comment

Great episode ya cant beat Season 1
                sigpic
                Kenton Canada

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post

On the other hand, the situation on Atlantis does give us the chance to see Shep shine in his natural element as a military man.
                  and he's wet
                  sigpic

Comment

Science Fiction about lightning and Lightning rods again! A Sci-Fi program should have ist Basic science right. Lightning rods bleed off the Charge before there is a lightning strike. If lightning strikes them or the building, they have failed. The pointy things bleed Charge, round things hold Charge allowing the voltage to build to a Point where a strike happens. The other science fiction I hate is the electric line in the bathtub or Swimming pool. Unless you are the ONLY path for the electricity, only the circuit braker Flips; the electricity never goes through anyone just sitting in the water..

Comment

Working...
                    X