Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: The Storm (110)

Default Re: The Storm (110)

As a matter of fact, I'm American, myself. But the sheer arrogance and condescension exhibited by some of my fellow countrymen is so mortifying and obnoxious that it makes me kinda twitchy when I see it.

Can we leave the political grandstanding and flag waving OUT of this thread? This is about ATLANTIS, not "My country is the greatest!"

BACK ON THE SUBJECT...

I have a question: what keeps Atlantis rooted in place? What prevents it from floating around the oceans of Atlantea (or whatever you want to call the planet)? I sure hope it wasn't those lightning rod things...

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat
    I have a question: what keeps Atlantis rooted in place? What prevents it from floating around the oceans of Atlantea (or whatever you want to call the planet)? I sure hope it wasn't those lightning rod things...
    My guess is either:

A) A small thruster system, or B) an anchoring system. Either could be of the fancy nifty Ancient tech version. But if it's the lightening rods they're in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Major Fischer
    I'm pulling for Weir to do something ridiculous to save herself
    I forsee some karate chopping in January.
    "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday
    http://www.cathairstudios.com/farsca...banner_one.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthespirit
    This is supposed to be the best and the brightest, but right now they're all seeming like a bunch of morons. No way it should have been that easy for the genai to take siege.
    What are you talking about? If anything they showed that it takes an extreme set of circumstances to take Atlantis (capture a GDO, have a guy talk about being under fire, have a large storm so no one is at Atlantis, and have everyone in disguse).

That's an extremely specific set of circumstances. Besides, how hard would it be for a crack military team to take out 3 soldiers, a diplomat and a scientist, especially when two of the soldiers think you're refugees and walk right into point blank range of your commander?

BYE
    "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Just finished watching, best episode yet in my opinion...starting to warm up to atlantis, could hardly fault it.....i wasnt looking forward to waiting a week to see it, so im even more peeved that theyre making us wait 3 months typical of them though

Re: The Storm (110)

i loved the episode but the first thing that came to my mind when i heard the storm was comin at atlantis was move it (atlantis) get the tow chains out and pull it with the puddle jumpers

thats one of the first things i woulda thought of

any one else agree?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrd79
    i loved the episode but the first thing that came to my mind when i heard the storm was comin at atlantis was move it (atlantis) get the tow chains out and pull it with the puddle jumpers

thats one of the first things i woulda thought of

any one else agree?
    It depends on how the city is anchored. Also, I'm pretty sure you'd need more than just two jumpers to move it. And exactly where would you move it to? And even if you had TEN jumpers operating at full capacity... how fast would they be moving? Fast enough to keep ahead of the storm?

i thought thay had 5 jumpers

but thay could of at least discouraged the idea like thay did for cutting power from the un necisary sections and only putting sheilds on the vital parts

IMO trying to tow it is the quick easy solution

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbrd79
    IMO trying to tow it is the quick easy solution
    Simple physics. Atlantis is MUCH bigger than the jumpers, it is highly unlikely that they could tow the city at any reasonable speed to out distance the storm.

There is no place for it to go anyway. Atlantis' planet is a freaking ocean, with one massive continent. So it would have no place to go.
    http://meteorxl.com/images/Mach/RA2.jpg
    I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Re: The Storm (110)

Bob, I can see that you're pretty angry about this, it's the second or third post with pretty much the same complaint that I've seen. But I'd like to point out that if you keep comparing Atlantis to SG-1 and if you keep expecting it to be the same, then yes, you ARE going to be frustrated and disappointed. Atlantis isn't SG-1. Instead of hating the differences, why don't you learn to accept them and see the opportunities those differences permit in terms of storylines and character development?

I think this is a bit condescending on your part. It seemed to me his problem wasn't that Atlantis isn't SG-1, it's that he finds the characters to be repeatedly incompetent and maybe even stupid. The fact that he doesn't find the characters in SG-1 to be that way doesn't invalidate his problem with the characters in Atlantis, who are, as he pointed out, supposed to be a lot smarter, better and more skilled than he's seeing. Accept the differences? If you mean different personalities, sure. If you mean that he's supposed to accept what he feels is incompetence and stupidity because it's "different" from SG-1, well, that doesn't fly for me. Besides, I'm not sure that "incompetence" lends itself to "character development". Not in characters who are already supposed to be experienced and skilled.

I tend to find Atlantis sloppily written with things not thought all the way through; this has nothing to do with how I feel about SG-1. I wish I didn't; I wanted to enjoy the show more than I am. I'm not ready to give up on it yet; I'm going to keep watching at least to the end of season 1.

However, viewers are as entitled to criticize what they don't like as they are to praise what they do.

J.
    "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

http://www.angelfire.com/magic/le_mo...rkpicsmall.jpg

I guess I read his post more as, "SG-1 is great! SG-1 is perfect! SG-1 would never make mistakes like this! How come Atlantis isn't as perfect as SG-1?"

If it's an honest complaint about shoddy characterization and not a complaint that Atlantis folk aren't as god-like and incapable of wrongdoing as SG-1 folk, then I'll apologize.

However, I also don't see why there's a need to post pretty much the same thing at least twice within a day. There was a great post already started about this. There was already a discussion going. So why drag it into here, too? Or, alternately, why start the original post in the first place? Why not keep it ALL in here?

Everyone interprets things differently. I saw Bob's post one way and responded to it in that vein. You read it another way and replied likewise.

I thought this episode was the best of the series so far. It definetly lived up to the mid-season cliff hanger expectation I had for it. When it was over I was thinking "wow, and i have to wait till january to find out what happens!" And I never do that, I usually am very patient about waiting till the next episodes.

What I liked about it the most was that Sheppard, Weir, and McKay actually had alot of REAL emotions they had to experience, not the 1 dementional emotions their characters usually embrace. It was really nice to see and gives me hope for fleshing out of the characters in the future.

Staff Sergeant

What an exciting episode. Right off the bat I was pleased they established that Kolya (sp?) is a bad guy who is not only tough on the enemy, but on his own people. He is and isn't predictable. It depends on what suits him at the moment as far as getting his job done.

Sheppard: what can I say? All cute. All soldier. All guy. But uneasy when he found out Beckett and Ford would not be on their way back. He's great when he's angry. Love the "catwalk" he was sneaking along on.

Beckett: Should've gone back to help evacuate and pack up medical supplies ASAP, but he didn't. Teyla managed a trip back but he wasn't needed?

Teyla: wow, I wish I had her buff arms and I wish she was my friend because she is so sensible and so calm.

Mckay: this is the Rodney I like to see. Funny and indignant. You know he's going to get back at that Kolya in the conclusion, I hope. Did the wound migrate down his arm a bit? Has Hewlett lost weight? He looks leaner in this episode.

The knife: as it was pulled out, sounded like Duncan MacCloud's sword in Highlander.

Weir: hum...a little robot-like. Then again, that's reasonable. A leader needs to remain composed and in control of herself even if she can't control what's happening around her.

That storm is going to throw a huge wrench in the works. Too bad it'll take 3 months to get there. Break out the umbrellas, the bandages, and the C-4.

About Rodney and Weir doing something to get out of the situation, did anyone think that those on the mainland will return at the right moment?
    Last edited by greytop; September 18th, 2004 at 08:57 PM. Reason: changed a word

Well they can't kill Weir. She's an very essential part of the show, same with McCay. I am betting that there is a sleeper still in Atlantis besides Shepard...

I just hope that someone smacks the hell out of that pretty boy who cut McCay. That guy deserves to have Shepard beat him unconscience with Steve's corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkQuee1
    I tend to find Atlantis sloppily written with things not thought all the way through
    How would you rate "The Storm?"

Outstanding - 761/65%
    Good - 306/26%
    Fair - 66/6%
    Poor - 15/1%
    Terrible - 23/2%

What were you saying again?

BYE

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Seven
    That guy deserves to have Shepard beat him unconscience with Steve's corpse.
    So you're into that kinda thing huh?

Sorry! Couldn't resist.

BYE

McKay's backpack, next to the chocolate and power bars

Quote Originally Posted by chiefchucky
    Not to change the subject but how do you think they will get the last grounding station to disconnect?
    I'm guessing that since Kolya's guy shot out the dial that separated the grounding station rods that McKay is going to have to some kind of manual intervention. Didn't McKay start to say he didn't know if he could even do something about it before that guard grabbed at his arm and he yelled "Get off of me!"

Did I mention that I hate Kolya's guts? He ought to get swept away by the storm. Blown right off the grounding station balcony. Or maybe a nice, sizzling lightning strike. Yeah, that would be perfect.

My kind of guy:
    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

McKay's backpack, next to the chocolate and power bars

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Beckett: Should've gone back to help evacuate and pack up medical supplies ASAP, but he didn't. Teyla managed a trip back but he wasn't needed?
    Wasn't Beckett needed to fly the Puddle Jumper and help with the evacuation of the mainland?

How many people have the Ancient gene AND can fly the Puddle Jumpers? In "Underground" there must be at least 2 others because Sheppard flew Puddle Jumper One and he had 2 other Jumpers behind him. I can't believe Beckett was flying one of them, but who knows?

That one young guy flying the ship in "Thirty Eight Minutes" must have the gene, right? Maybe he was one of those flying in "Underground".

So the only people we know for sure that can fly Puddle Jumpers are Sheppard, McKay, Beckett, and that one guy.

My kind of guy:
    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast