Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Underground (109)

My McKay love grows yet more.

I also liked the fact that, even with 50's technology, the Genii built a computer interface for a Wrath memory card. So seldom are other cutures in the 'Gate universe able to make use of the galaxy(s) the way Earth has.

I think it's kinda cool that Wraith ships seem biological. Neat departure for this universe.

I do think that the one Genii soldier, what was his name?, defeated his own purpose. Saving cocoon-man would have alerted the Wraith, so let's leave some bullets in him? It stops Teyla from exposing you, but... exposes you.

Not super-actiony, but it makes up for it with suspense (much better done than in Suspicion) and tension and a nicely complex new enemy.

McKay was, as ever, brilliant. Loved the atomic bomb convo with Ford. McKay's even smarter than I thought... and that's really saying something. Funny, though, the bomb thing reminded me of that ep of Joan of Arcadia where Luke and the angry chick build a model rail gun. Would have LOVED to see teenage Rodney showing off his model. The righteous indignation as he fails to win... which would probably be his primary complaint as he sits through the interrogation with government officials... lol

Interesting interior stuff on the hiveship. Reminds me a bit of Giger. Think the ships themselves are biomech? And how did McKay know he could cut through the wall/skin with a mere knife? Bad design flaw on the part of the wraith, there.

Good stuff with the underground lair, too. Nice visual FX. Liked the waterfall in the distant bg. Good reaction shots for Shep and McKay, too.

Teyla was somewhat less annoying in this ep, but I still don't like her. Weir was actually kinda tolerable. In fact, I wished she'd come down harder on Shep and his team. Nice dig about Bates securing them some supplies. hehe

Bit that bugged me: Daddy-o kept telling Teyla that they couldn't rescue anyone because it would alert the wraith. Then he turns around and shoots the yelling guy. WTF did he think THAT was gonna do?? Sheesh.

Atlantis Visual Effects Supervisor

Hey All,

I'm seeing some really great feedback on the vfx for this episode... which is great because this was one of the hardest so far, and one of my faves.

The Genii underground city was a massive project, existing entirely in 3D, Spin West put that together in remarkable time and with fantastic attention to detail. I would turn up there most evenings and we'd discuss how people would live there and how that would effect their environment... then, with that in mind, we would sculpt the Genii world until the early hours...

I remember one night, an artist there, Landon, posed the question of how they coped with all the water issues that you might get in a cavern that size... quickly adding that lakes and waterfalls might really help us believe in their world... we sat there a moment while this sank in, each one of us remembering how every cave we'd ever been in always had vast amounts of water everywhere... It was a genius moment, thanks Landon!

Even though it only appeared on the screen as Shepherd's POV for (I think) 3 seconds, and took us about 4 weeks to complete, it stands out as a real place that "makes sense" and that's down to the fantastic skill that the artists put into the shot.

Rainmaker created the Wraith hanger, awesome detail, hundreds of man hours in that one... great job guys! The Interface room was created by a young guy called Jose, and you can all expect amazing things from J and the whole Rainmaker team in a few episodes time... truely amazing... I didn't know you could do that with pixels!

Oh well, back to ... better not tell ya!

Thanks for watching!

Mark Breakspear
    Visual Effects Supervisor
    Atlantis

PS... If anyone has feedback on the VFX and wants to post it directly to me, you can post it at vfxsoup.com in the forum section...

Loved the episode.
    SGA has more of a B5 feeling then SG1 does, revealing a little bit about the Wraith each episode instead of revealing it all in two-parters.

Guess my guess of 100 Hive ships weren't that bad.

And the Wraith Hive ships interior looks awsome.

Now I just wanna find out how much damage the Ancient Drones can do to a Hive ship

Default Re: Underground (108!!!!)

Good episode. I liked everyone in it. Good story and it set up plenty to fuel many episodes in the future.

Funny how a simple trade for food turned into a nuclear arms discussion.
    Let's just go to every planet and teach them how to build nukes! Maybe if we ruin every world the Wraith will go away.

Wonder if a regular US Nuclear Missile does any serious damage to a Wraith Hive if impacting with the hull.

Wonder if the Wraith Hives got shields... They probably do.

I can see the SGA->SG1 reunion..."Oh and Gen. O'Neill... We're gonna need a few hundred nukes"

Quote Originally Posted by aAnubiSs
    We're gonna need a few hundred nukes
    Good thing Earth is in no short supply of nukes.

Indeed. Atleast now they'll be used for something usefull.

Intergalactic Hussy
    (Moderator Emeritus)
    I don't know but the view sure looks nice

I really enjoyed this episode. My love for McKay grows by leaps and bounds. Ford is really growing on me as well. I've gone from feeling like, o.k well he's there, to looking forward to seeing him in scenes. I too liked Weir in this episode. She seems less stiff and cold as time goes by. I adore Colm Meaney and he can pretty much do no wrong by me. The visual affects were great. I loved the underground waterfall. I agree with Shadow about being confused by "Daddy-O" shooting the poor schmuck in the Wraith ship after saying that he didn't want to alert the Wraith. Okaaaay. Shep I still love cuz he's cute and funny. What's not to love? Oh and did I mention that I love McKay?

shipperahoy: Who's this McKay guy you're almost mentioning?

Wonder if I wouldn't rate Underground as the best episode of Atlantis yet... I think I will.

I liked this episode a lot; IMO it is one of the best outside of "Rising." The Genii storyline was set up nicely. It will be interesting to seem what impact the Genii's will have in the future. It is always good to see Colm. I still don't understand Weir though. The Weir in Stargate SG-1 S7 was confident and strong in her convictions, especially regarding the Goa'uld. The Atlantis Weir lacks what made the S7 Weir a strong leader. Despite taking a stand against Shep a couple times, she easily caved in after a few words by the Major. I just don't understand her. BTW, what is up with Teyla dissing Ford to his face? "I thought you were a man?" That's not cool.

Staff Sergeant

This ep was awesome. I loved it. Loved the wraith ship, loved the underground city, and especially loved the ships decloaking at the end.

vfxsoup, kudos to you and the people you work with. I still drool whenever I see an exterior shot of the city
    We are the ori. You will be assymilated. Resistance is futile.

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthespirit
    Okay, several problems I have with this episode.

1) Their secret hatch was *really badly* hidden.
    >>>>snip<<<<

So...we have Teyla about ten times as naive as Daniel with nobody balancing her out with hard military disipline like Jack, we have Shepherd who acts like he's on vacation, we have Ford who doesn't really say much of anything, and McKay who's never in his life heard of the word 'practical'.

We've seen some signs of hope with a few of the earlier episodes, but I'm really hoping Atlantis writing turns around quickly.>>>snip,sorry<<<

yes i'll have to agree with you - i don't fancy being in the minority but i wasn't too interested in tonight's episode. The plot device of team members simply spilling the beans without thinking is transparent and uninvolving. Very little action. And another stand off at the end, like in childhood's end. Amish like people. This episode more than any previous one reminded me of some of the less impressive eps of sg1

teyla: leave her at home. She's more a diplomat, not a real soldier. A little common sense goes a long way. Another tedious moment when I knew she was going to be the nice one.

good part: smart sfx. love the cloaking on the jumper

the whole goal seemed to be to get on to the wraith ship so we could creep out at those poor preserved people--and get the intel for another episode. I wish i could've like it more. it was humorous at least.

This was a pretty good episode. We made an enemy, YEY! I'm surprised Sheppard didn't have one of the jumpers send up a GJOD to show them what they were up against, though.

Chief Master Sergeant tera'ngan's Avatar

Each week gets better with Atlantis - and they started out good to begin with!

I think one of my favorite aspects of this show is that they are separate from Earth/U.S. politics. I understand the necessity of it in SG-1, and it makes for good plot device, but it's refreshing to NOT have it in Atlantis. I think it really came out this week - ethically and morally they ultimately only answer to themselves. Are they going to trade nuclear technology for food? - it's entirely their decision to debate and make, not some administrator somewhere off-camera. For me that makes it less of a "military" show and more of a "sci-fi" show.

I also very much like the fact that they are setting up some long-term arcs right from the get-go. Stand-alones are nice, but getting two or three recurring storylines bouncing around make for some interesting plot development, IMHO.

And Mark - all I can say is WOW! Keep it up!

-tera'ngan
    nuqDaq yuch Dapol

good episode, looking forward to the next Genii episode already

and next ep General Hammond and someone who was supposed to be dead

Oh, Underground how much did I love thee, let me count the ways. This has got to be my new favorite episode of Atlantis, so far. This, to me, felt like a real Stargate episode.

There were so many things I loved I don't even know where to start... But here we go, anyway.

Things that made me go ROFL:

- "I wasn't hitting on your daughter."

- Sheppard/McKay banter. I could just listen to them talk forever and ever.

- "You know, if people could just learn to keep their secret underground hatches looked." ~ McKay

- "We say, 'What giant underground bunker?!" ~Again, McKay

Things that made me go Hmmm, that's surprising. I *like* it!

- Teyla. What a turnaround. For the first time I felt like she was a three-dimensional character. Lovely haircut, as well.

- The twist with the Genii people. And Colm Meaney is great.

And some other stuff I enjoyed:

- Nice use of creepy and "slithering" music inside the Wraith ship.

- The fact that they (Sheppards team and the Genii) kept going back and forth on the whole 'trusting each other' issue. You could never really be sure which way they were gonna turn. As proven by the scene at the end, where the two puddle jumpers came out of hiding.

^

I guess the only thing (that I can think of, right now anyway) that I didn't like so much, were the scenes where Sheppard needed to return to Atlantis to clear things with Weir, in between negotiations. That slowed things down a bit, but I suppose it was necessary.

^

I also agreed and symphatized with Teyla in that situation with the guy in the pod. As much as I understand what was at stake, I don't think I could have walked away from that guys pleas, either.

Second Lieutenant UltraMarioMan's Avatar
    Blorch Home of the Slaughtering Rat People

Lightbulb Re: Underground (109)

Really good episode. Atlantis seems to be hitting its stride. I agree that it was stupid for Teyla to try and rescue the cooned man. That scene reminded me of "Aliens" where the Marnies enter the hive and find that woman alive.
    It wasn't stupid I'd have started disliking Teyla if she didn't try to save the guy. I was also getting an Alien/Aliens vibe from it. The approach to the Hive Ship felt like a mix between finding the alien ship in Alien and the Dropship flying to the colony in Aliens.

I am Zim, Irken Invader Zim. I am responsible for the safe obliteration of the human race, not you!' - Zim - Invader Zim
    'Don't worry, officer. You are in a filthy Earth brain hospital. Your feelings are normal. There's a squid brain in your head! ' - Zim - Invader Zim
    'Now, to unleash screaming temporal doom! ' - Zim -Invader Zim

Why isn't there a protocol to involve Weir when negotiations get serious?
    Causality should not be taken lightly.

Staff Sergeant

Good episode, story-wise. We learn more about life in Wraith Universe, we makes friends and enemies, we visit worlds and ships, we get tech and intel. Plot lines are pulled along from earlier eps and set up for future ones.

Character interaction is maintained: Rodney blabbing. Shep holding Rodney's leash! Sergeant Bates scores over Shep!

My only gripe is Sheppard the Pilot as Sheppard the Ground Team Leader. The Air Force pilots I know are mad for flying. Sitting around yammering with administrators and or being diplomatic is just not their thing. Sheppard looks a bit bored at meetings, and his unorthodox negotiations piss off Weir. But I would like him to voice a little characterization of his feelings. He just seems to be being The Leader because O'Neill told him to go and then Sumner was killed. Perhaps something is coming up. I hope so. We've forgotten the whole 'He's not a good soldier in Sumner's opinion because of his going against orders thing' in Rising. Lt. Ford doesn't have a prob with him, which could be a puppy dog Ford thing. Is Bates just a jerk, or does he have anti-Shep issues? Perhaps the future will tell, but often things set up in a pilot episode go by the wayside when the writeres have to churn out scripts every week.

We see and hear Dr. Peter Grodin.
    No Beckett But we had plenty last week, he was off this week, mourning Perna.

And, Colm, really, you're tired already of casting calls for low-budget movies made in deary Eire. You want the safety and security of a weekly Sci Fi television series again, don't ya? Don't ya? Pleeeaseeeeeee

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast