Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing that got on my mind:

On the very beginning they say "Hey, if you break the DVD, blah, belh...."

Why not take a PJ to the planet, and if the DVD is broken, use the PJ's internal DHD to dial back.
    Too easy, eh?

Now, if ya say "hey, the PJ needs an external DHD to connect to" - I don't think so.
    The PJ dialed the "orbit gate" and well.... HAS a full set of buttons - IMHO it's a fully quallified DHD.

Another lightning just struck my head:
    Why not build the control crystal into the PJ's DHD?
    So they'd have a "protabal earth-dialer" in case they find an uberly charged gate

Comment

Originally posted by Hellcat
      Why not take a PJ to the planet, and if the DHD is broken, use the PJ's internal DHD to dial back?
      There might not have been room to maneuver a Puddle Jumper with those rock formations and such around.
      Now, if ya say "hey, the PJ needs an external DHD to connect to" - I don't think so. The PJ dialed the "orbit gate" and well.... HAS a full set of buttons - IMHO it's a fully quallified DHD.
      I think someone said the stabalizing pods on orbital gates also provide power in the absence of a DHD.
      Why not build the control crystal into the PJ's DHD?
      Because they might break/loose it...plus, it's not like they really need to. Why would they need to go to Earth from anywhere but Atlantis except in the very slim chance of finding another Myst-like planet?
      "protabal"
      What?
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
        Agree with another poster - would have been cool for a Steve cameo at the party! *LOL*
        Yeah, woudl have been neat but far too close to the Farscape episode of similiar style in which SCorpius showed up at the bar next to Crichton, although... if they'd been stuck in that reality a lot longer, who know else might have popped up at the party.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
          Don't spoil my moment of gloating, Darren, I've been waiting months for this.

Hammond just happening to be there still doesn't sit well with me and the lack of Gen. O'Neill was a bit odd. Perfectly reasonable from an outside viewpoint, but in story it is an awfully big gap. And the first person who says the meetings with Jack took place "off screen" or that Jack was conveniently "away" gets slugged. And I mean the gooey invertebrate kinda slugs. Right in the kisser.
          Yeah, Jack missing was odd, but it was nice to see Hammond again. The thing is that Jack's style of managemnt would have fit in perfectly in these realities. But oh well, contracts and shows and stuff.

Comment

Home is yet another great episode of Atlantis. It's really going strong. Good pilot. Then H&S and 38 mins weren't good. Then Suspicion started boring but picked up in the second half. And then Childhood's End, PtW, Underground and now Home are all great.

Comment

Well, Home isn't my favourite SGA episode, but I liked it. I think the best thing in it is the music and the new city-view at the beginning.

I think that would have been a much better episode, if we didn't know from the beginning this was not real.
              sigpic

Well, not anymore... Good bye Atlantis!

Comment

I missed the rebroadcast (fighting with my comp). In the scene in Shep's Dream House, Shep is looking all reflective and Teyla deduces that he's thinking about Weir "and the rest of the people on Atlantis." Were Shep and Weir ever in a scene together in the Fractured Fairy Tales, or in his reality did he (and Teyla) assume that Weir stayed behind to keep an eye on things in Atlantis? If so, is it possible that Weir assumed the same about Shep? That could explain why all the senior staff went through- they didn't know they were ALL going through, they assumed some stayed behind.
                Forgot to mention that myself. I thought that was the "if you didn't know something was wrong before, we're really telling you now" scene since it was apparent that both Weir and Sheppard were on Earth but neither was referencing the other.

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                And the switching between McKay and Weir in the lab was really cool.
                Yes, that was really great!

Originally posted by IwantToBelieve
                My hubby guessed about the friends being dead.
                I saw Sheppard get kind of misty eyed there so I knew he knew something was wrong. But, seeing dead people? Very clever, Sheppard.

Like you said, it's probably a bit like reading a book in a foreign language- just because the Mist can read minds doesn't mean it understands it. How would it know which pieces to take and how to stitch it together properly? Imagine you've been introduced to McKay as an astrophysicist. You have a cheat sheet of terminology and theories that he can't see. How long do you think it would be before he realises that you flunked high school physics?
                Yeah, McKay knows exactly how the world is supposed to work, but the Mist is running behind him asking "what are you trying to say here?" and trying to throw it up on his computer. It can't keep up. It's not really pictures, after all, is it? The Mist had an easier time with concrete images, like Sheppard's apartment, than with abstractions.

For whoever mentioned the green plants in Sheppard's place vs the dead ones in McKay's: I thought the dead plants at McKay's place were like that before he left!

My kind of guy:
                "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                  Agree with another poster - would have been cool for a Steve cameo at the party! *LOL*
                  LOL that woulda rocked.
                  *Shepard looks over at couch.
                  *Steve raises beer and gives Shepard a head nod.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
                    Someone answer this PLEASE:
                    Why did Weir say that they could "go home and brief Gen. Hammond"? She knew he wasn't in charge of the SGC anymore. I mean she took over because he left! And Jack sent her off! So why didn't she (or any other member of the team) question the presence of Gen. Hammond and the lack of General O'Neill????
                    THANK YOU! That was the first thing my husband and I thought. Should have been a dead giveaway things were not right. And if they were pulling things from the team's minds, they would have known Sheppard's friends were dead and he would pick up on that. Duh! And Sheppard asking Teyla if things didn't feel right to her -- how would she know? She's never been to Earth before. And at least one, possibly two DeLuise's in the party scene...please!

The bright spot for me was a reappearance of Don S. Davis. We surely do miss him on SG-1.

Comment

Was it just me, or did it seem like most of the scenes with Don S. Davis were filmed separately and cleverly edited to make it look like he was actually on set with the other actors? For example, when he's walking to the elevator and the camera pans quickly and we see Sheppard coming down the hallway...that seemed quite abrupt -- neither actor was in the shot at the same time as the other. As they enter the elevator, each seems to make a very concerted effort to stand as far against opposite walls as possible (as if it were a composited split-screen shot) and then it's just quick back-and-forth shots of each actor in the elevator. Almost as if they filmed the scene at different times.

Later, when Hammond and Weir are in Rodney's lab near the end of the episode, they are on opposite sides of the screen, again indicating a possible split-screen composite.

Finally, at the end, when alien-Hammond is explaining the illusion to everyone in the gate room, he is distant from the rest of the group, and we see lots of shots of just him. Whenever we see him from the back facing the team, it could easily be a blue-screen shot. Whenever we see the back of an Atlantis team member speaking to him, it could easily be a body double.

I watched carefully and saw very few shots where Davis and another actor actually interacted. Lots of split-screens and quick-reverse shots. Did anyone else get this feeling? Might have something to do with Davis not wanting to commit a whole lot of time to Stargate after leaving the show? They might have had to film a lot of his stuff at once, sometimes without the other actors.

Or I could just be reading way too much into it...

Comment

I did get the feeling that Hammond wasn't quite "there", yeah. And in the debrief with Weir and McKay, he isn't quite looking in the directions he should be. Or at least, that's how I felt.

Comment

Originally posted by NurseRatched
                          Certainly no large ones, and nothing large enough to warrant the marina that we can see from Daniel's balcony in "The Light". Adding in a little stock footage of the Garden of the Gods area or maybe even CGI-ing in a few shots of, say, Pikes Peaks would make some of the exterior shots a little more Colorado Springs-y..

yes, it would. IIRC, there is even a freighter visible through daniel's window. that is one hell of a view! 1000 miles. wow, i need his apartment complex

and yeah, having someone go to colorado and shoot some actual b-roll of garden of the gods, pikes peak, etc would make it a LOT more believable.

Along with little things like the foliage too.

Originally posted by NurseRatched
                          Another thought: Weir was working in Washington, D.C. prior to being assigned to the SGC. Was she already in a relationship with Simon? He appears to have a very nice house in Colorado Springs - unless the living-conveniently-in-easy-commuting-distance was all part of Wiers illusions.

I got the implication that ALL of them went home, but were still going back to the sgc....ok, so rod, who we last knew of was sent off to russia has an apartment in colorado springs? Along with Shep, who was assigned to the antarctic, weir who lived in DC (although i can sorta see her, since she got command of the sgc)

but all in all, the implication was that all of them went home....to thier places in the springs. And, other than weir, none of them had reason to be living in colorado
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I missed the rebroadcast (fighting with my comp). In the scene in Shep's Dream House, Shep is looking all reflective and Teyla deduces that he's thinking about Weir "and the rest of the people on Atlantis." Were Shep and Weir ever in a scene together in the Fractured Fairy Tales, or in his reality did he (and Teyla) assume that Weir stayed behind to keep an eye on things in Atlantis? If so, is it possible that Weir assumed the same about Shep? That could explain why all the senior staff went through- they didn't know they were ALL going through, they assumed some stayed behind.
                            I think it was like this; Weir and McKay were together. Sheppard and Teyla were together. I don't know who Ford thought he was with.

I wonder if that Ancient gene accounts for the Major's unexpected ability to manipulate his reality?
                            The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                              I think it was like this; Weir and McKay were together. Sheppard and Teyla were together. I don't know who Ford thought he was with.

I wonder if that Ancient gene accounts for the Major's unexpected ability to manipulate his reality?
                              I thought it had to do more with their individual talents. Weir and McKay deal more with abstractions. Diplomacy and theorethical physics. Sheppard is a pilot. He deals with what he sees, how he reacts to the physical world.

My kind of guy:
                              "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                              Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                              (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by fifthmember
                                THANK YOU! That was the first thing my husband and I thought. Should have been a dead giveaway things were not right.
                                This was explained in about ten different posts after the one you quoted. I think it's extremely unlikely that they would have thought about briefing Jack because they aren't under Jack.

Think of the homeworld security stuff this way, Antartic Outpost/Atlantis Expedition (they are related to one another directly), and than the SGC/Alpha Site/Prometheus (the Pommie crew wear SGC patches), and than maybe Nellis and the research programs. They are all under General Hammond (sited by Weir in New Order. But they are not in each others chain of command. Jack does not command Nellis. The Pommie commander isn't in authority over the Antartic Outpost.

It's a bit like the combined combat commands that the US military is divided into. O'Neill is the commander of one element (like, say, Central Command), and Weir is in command of another (like, say, Southern Command). Hammond, in this analogy is the Chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. You don't expect the CG of Southern Command to brief the CG of central command about problems in the Panama canal. Now, he may get briefed on them by a lower ranking officer (because the canal has an effect on if his troops get to the Middle East), but SouthCom wouldn't answer to him, because it's not his area of authority.

Not sure how much that made sense.
                                Last edited by Major Fischer; 11 September 2004, 11:30 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Working...
                                X