No announcement yet.

Home (109)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first time I watched this I was stumped. Thier are subtle clues that show you that people are experencing different realities. Like the difference in Weir's clothing or the different assignments of Ford. They become less subtle as the episode goes around to the point of very obvious with the meltdown of McKay and Weir. The whole mysteriousness of not catching is why I have always liked this episode. Yes repeated viewings have made me to see the differences but its the fact of the stumping the first time around that I like this episode. I like the concept of aliens tricking the team like this. The only complaint was the resolution is a little deus ex machina
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Home

They say that when you're in a faraway place, you begin to feel homesick and that homesickness grows to the point where you're willing to take any opportunity just to return home. Well the crew of Atlantis know the feeling pretty well and when they find a planet that's just seemingly surrounded with mistiful energy that'll allow them to return home to Earth; they can't help but to take the opportunity to return home, even if they can't get back to Atlantis.

This episode is a unique in that it isn't about how the people work diligently to get back to Earth while metaphorical dialog about the desire to go home is sprinkled throughout; no, it's about the people going back to Earth and getting a chance to do what they want to do. Teyla's desire to see Earth and all of it's wonders, Dr. Weir's desire to communicate with the SGC and meet up with her boyfriend (Simon) and Shephard's desire to be with Teyla as she shows her the Earth, all of those things should add up to pure fun right?; well it does. Each of the ones appear in their own story and every one manages to act appropriately, Shephard & Teyla have the night of their lives, Weir is in tears underneath seeing Simon and Rodney is just, Rodney... I don't think there is any character I can single out as the best, Dr. Weir manages to be convincingly Sweet and Charming during her scenes, Shephard manages to show a bit of excitement mixed in with that tensity he's known for and Teyla is excited and plays the outsider role pretty well; each bring something essential to the table and the fact that each of them played an equal part of the episode is nice, it's like they realized they needed to work together in order for the episode to work.

One of many sprinkled throughout.

The slight nods to SG1 are done well, I see General Hammond has a lot of screen time in this episode and his performance is pretty decent; seeing Dr. Weir and General Hammond together could be considered a geek's fantasy come true, I've always seen Dr. Weir as a female version of General Hammond and to finally see them duke it out over issues such as the threat of the wraith and the state of the Atlantis mission, it's exhilarating to say the least. Though General Hammond appears in this episode, we never get to see SG-1; I don't know about you but the SGC feels really empty without them, I would of liked to see Daniel Jackson walking around or at least a small cameo appearance by O'Neill, that would of brought even more life to SGC but I guess they're saving the SGA-SG1 crossover for a later time. Regardless the feeling of SG1 gets across fine and the references to the Asgard and Gou'ald just help to enhance that feeling. There's also another feeling that you get with this episode, a mysterious ulterior feeling; the guys behind Stargate have been known for doing some mysterious stuff so certainly what they have in store should shock and amaze you right? Well it does but...

I just wish they could of kept it a bit oblivious.

I admire what the writers were trying to do, start off an episode about going home as sensibly as it can be and then slowly crank the heat up until it turns out nothing is like it seems; the clothing, the people, the situations, It's amazing really, something that keeps you thinking and on your toes but I really wish that they didn't spoil it so early. For instance, the Stargate animation is different; even in SG1 they didn't have the wormhole animation changed to indicate something different, (Hint: "The Gamekeeper") SGA is supposed to provide the same feeling for me and actually make me believe they're home but instead it just has me focused on the differences at hand. There are even obvious hints in the episode that what they're going through is entirely different; for the general public they won't notice but for the people with a high IQ, they'll be distracted. Sci-fi is supposed to be intelligent and all but TV is also supposed to be entertainment. Additionally the people in the episode realize a bit too quickly the flaws of the world (especially Shephard.), I guess that's the point but I would of liked to see a bit more regarding these people and what they're going through and have it at some point where they realize something is totally off... More so I would of like to see the thing treated as a general surprise rather then as fan service.

Surprise...

There are moments where it feels like the writers couldn't come up with many entertain scenes to fill the running time so they resort to padding; I'll admit it's not as bad but this is supposed to be an episode which keeps the viewer hooked and intrigued. Even when the transition to a plot where they try to get back to Atlantis still manages to feel like it's padded; why? While there's a sense of tension going on as they try to dial back to Atlantis, there isn't any sort of engagement throughout the plot at hand; which can be a problem since this plot happens around the climax. The ending is decent enough and it adequately wraps up the loose bits of the episode but it kind of feels like a cheap copout, mainly because what is explained afterwards seems like the usual SG1; alien creatures, not leaving anybody behind, not sacrificing lives... One thing I will note is that Atlantis seems to leave and never come back to a lot of the planets they visit, that is obviously something that's very different to SG1 as they're usually welcomed back but here, it seems like they've made more enemies then friends; just something worth noting I guess....

The camera angles, lighting and presentation is exceptionally good. Similar to "Rising", the camera angles present their subjects in a well mannered way; they manage to capture the feeling of any scene regardless of whether or not it's emotional, serious or easygoing and they manage to seem almost professional and feel nearly realistic. I like it when anybody can manage to replicate the experience of going to a movie on the small screen, whether or not it's "Lost" or even this show; not only does it show the respect they have for the genre and the amount of dedication that they have for their craft, it also shows the sheer quality of the series as a whole. A lot of the time these TV series don't bother to achieve for something more, they manage to do well with what they have but they never bother to reach for those levels that the cinematic world have set. To see a series take itself seriously, to strive for those levels of cinematic wonder, it's saying that it doesn't want to be seen as just another TV series, it wants to be seen as something more. Any TV show that aspires to be something more gets high marks from me as they're setting the standards for what TV should be and what people should think about when creating a series of their own.

Truly a beautiful moment.

Despite the high concept of the episode, it doesn't really manage to stand out as SGA's best. It does make an admirable effort but some of the concept is ruined and the execution isn't consistent throughout; the Atlantis crew does a good job and it manages to be entertaining 90% of the time you're watching so even though it doesn't live up to the sum of it's parts, it's still a pretty good episode regardless.

8.0/10
      Last edited by ZRFTS; 24 June 2012, 11:54 AM.
      Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
        Home

Dr. Weir's desire to communicate with the SGC and reunite with her husband
        Simon was Elizabeth's boyfriend, not her husband. Nothing was ever said about Simon being her husband.

Besides, how crummy is it that she literally dumped him with a video recording instead of face to face, knowing that she might never come back? If he was her husband, can anyone really see dumping a husband they love that callously?

And then he did move on, as is later shown in Season 2, with the comment that she was gone a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          Simon was Elizabeth's boyfriend, not her husband. Nothing was ever said about Simon being her husband.
          Huh, always thought of him as her husband; anyways, corrected. Thanks for noticing.
          Back from the grave.

Comment

I liked this one. But it was a little predictable, good to see Davis again as Hammond

Comment

Yea.. its always good to see cameo's of the older folk... even if briefly.

Comment

I really liked this episode and much more, it made me establish Weir as perhaps my fav character at the moment

I loved seeing General Hammond again as well

Weirdly enough, this episode is classed as episode 8 on my dvd.
                Currently Watching: Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis
                Planning to watch: Dark Angel, Star Trek Enterprise and many more

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                  Joe Mallozzi's notes on the episode:
                  http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...arter-and-win/
                  Well into Atlantis’s fifth year, I kept pitching that we should end a season with Weir, Sheppard, McKay, Teyla, and Ford waking up on the mist planet.
                  considering how bad season 5 was, I really was this had been done!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X