No announcement yet.

Home (109)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all, I just need to say, Sergeant HARRIMAN! HA! Take that Darren!

Easily the best ep of the series so far, IMO. Great stuff. Loved every reality-shifting minute of it. The denounement at the end seemed a little too easy, but for the moment I'm willing to forgive it.

Very interesting the way the realities were structured. If it was supposed to make them happy and content, how come all the bad things kept happening? Weir getting relieved of command, Ford getting reassigned, Rodney being given gobbledegook... Or is that a reflection of the ultimately pessimistic nature of EVERYONE? Is McKay rubbing off on folks? They figure they won't be allowed to get what they want? Or was it all part of the scheme to try and convince them that they could never get back to Atlantis?

One BIG question... why Hammond? Weir had to know that Hammond was off on another assignment and wasn't likely to be brought back to Stargate Command. And has Shep even MET Hammond? Betcha it's those genes of his that let him manipulate things so completely, but borrowing images from other peoples' minds? Or did The Mist just nab Hammond whole cloth and use him as a bridge between them all?

Nothing in this ep really added up. I love that. Although now that I think about it... I wonder if The Mist is any relation to The Water in Watergate? Similar premises. At least as far as wanting to prevent the team from killing millions of their kind, then expressing shock that the team would be willing to let things drop as long as they were returned "home".

Poor McKay. "You have no new messages." hehe. And dammit, we still don't know the name of his cat. Would have liked to have seen the little furball. LOVE the shirt. I have a similar one on order from Cafe Press.

Good Ford stuff in this ep, too. Liked the interplay with McKay.

Comment

Hammond is in charge of homeworld security. She knew O'Neill was in charge of SGC, but she wanted to brief Hammond, the head hancho. I don't think any of them were expecting Hammond to be there waiting for them immedeately though.

EDIT: A couple of minutes and my reply gets burried under many other posts.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
        Someone answer this PLEASE:
        Why did Weir say that they could "go home and brief Gen. Hammond"? She knew he wasn't in charge of the SGC anymore. I mean she took over because he left! And Jack sent her off! So why didn't she (or any other member of the team) question the presence of Gen. Hammond and the lack of General O'Neill????
        The lack of O'Neill is a plot hole, however, the idea that she would brief Hammond is not. Hammond is in charge of homeworld security, he is the one with authority over the Atlantis expedition (it comes out of the Antartic Outpost not the SGC, New Order told us they were considered seperate projects). O'Neill would have been there for the briefing, but she would have been briefing General Hammond.

Comment

Why did Weir say that they could "go home and brief Gen. Hammond"? She knew he wasn't in charge of the SGC anymore. I mean she took over because he left! And Jack sent her off! So why didn't she (or any other member of the team) question the presence of Gen. Hammond and the lack of General O'Neill????
          General Hammond is the head of "Homeworld Security:" a conglomerate of all the myriad of agencies: the SGC, the 302 and 303 programs, the Antarctic outpost, the Atlantis mission, etc.

Comment

Heheheh, satisfied now?

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
              C) Production things... I liked the CGI on the planet. Thought it was a nifty image, nicely done. Was I the only one who felt like they had shot the epsiode in a way so that the scenes on earth were more vivid, more bright than they were in the Atlantis shots. Like a visual clue that this isn't real?
              The visuals on The Mist Planet were indeed very cool. I can't say I would have pegged the Earth scenes as being more "vivid" but there did seem to be something a little off about them.

Or that McKay wouldn't have dreamed about Carter.
              YES!! Absolutely! All they needed to do was get Amanda's double to stand in for her. McKay opens the door, we get a shot from outside of "Sam's" back and witness McKay's reaction. He says, "Colonel Carter!" and she moves in towards him, taking him into the room as the door closes. Nice, simple... but probably far too obvious a clue that all is not as it seems.

I liked the line about "It may as well say..." and then I've already forgotten the words... There was another good line, too. Curse my bad memory...

Comment

Yup, General Hammond would have obviously just hanging out at the SGC waiting for Atlantis to make contact with Earth... yup. Another thing that I liked was Sheppard's random "reality" including his dead friends and his 6th grade teacher. The only thing that could have made it better would be if Steve was there.

I was wondering if anyone's opinion on Weir would change after this ep- we did get to see a lot more of her and her personality.
                Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by chris_h
                  General Hammond is the head of "Homeworld Security:" a conglomerate of all the myriad of agencies: the SGC, the 302 and 303 programs, the Antarctic outpost, the Atlantis mission, etc.
                  OK, but that still doesn't explain why no one questioned his presence. It only explains why she didn't personally mention O'Neill before "returning" home. But surely she would have noticed that immediately when she arrived? Why not just have Jack there as he should be, and Hammond just visiting? I mean, it seemed like Hammond was running the entire SGC, and no one cared. At least Weir could have asked Hammond "where's Gen. O'Neill?" or something like that when they stepped through...
                  There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Hah, Steve in the background with a brewski, that would have been great.

Comment

Originally posted by NightGloom
                      Another thing that I liked was Sheppard's random "reality" including his dead friends and his 6th grade teacher.
                      I cracked up when his 6th grade teacher was there. It was so a sheppard moment. Even better than the fact that Rodney had no new messages.

Anyone else wondering about why the power would have still been on in people's houses, or the gas in Weir's car. You'd think they'd have settled affairs for 'long term' storage sorts. After all, you leave a car standing in the Cheyenne Mountain parking lot in colorado for half a year and it's going to have a problem or two.

Comment

Wow, i was asking the same thing.. terrible plothole? That was the worst part. Even during the commercials it showed Gen Hammond so I knew something was wrong. I was thinking something about an alternate reality, but eeeeeeeeeeek.

In every other sense, this was the best episode.. ever.

Comment

This one was cool. It was great to see Hammond back, although I wish we could have seen other SGC guys there as well. McKay and Sam interaction could have been fun. I miss those two being at each other's throats.

Anyone know where I can get one of McKay's "I'm with Genius" shirts? It rocked!

The Atlantis team does really lousy when it comes to going home, don't they? First the ZPM from Childhood's End, this...and I'm sure there was another one and we're only halfway through the season. Ouch.

I thought everyone could only bring one personal item from Earth. Earlier we saw that Sheppard had a football tape. Where'd War and Peace come from?

Camera angles were good, especially the scene with Weir and McKay in the lab. The panning back and forth was an excellent tool to enhance the wrongness of the whole situation, even if it did give me a headache. Although that could have simply been a byproduct of sitting with my nose a bare two inches away from the TV screen. Double ouch.

I like Sheppard's house...and Weir's garden. Nice car she had, too.

No Beckett. Bummer. Any episode with him is automatically good (okay, fine. I'm a sucker for Scottish accents. Get over it. )

Comment

I was acctually disappointed in this episode. The reason why I was dissappointed was that we should not have seen a single image of General Hammond and we should not have heard a single thing about the Prometheus because both the General and The BC-303 have not even been mentioned in Stargate Atlantis and probably left veiwers who have watched Atlantis but not even seen a whole SG-1 episode greatly confused. They practically wrote Hammond in as the current commander of the SGC and completely disregarded the fact that O'Neill was established to be the Commander of the SGC in Rising. Also how are people who watch atlantis and haven't seen any sg-1 episodes supposed to know that the Prometheus is a spaceship and how are they supposed to know who the Asgard are? Now I should admit that everyone who watches Atlantis probably is already a SG-1 fan but I thought the writers were trying to keep the two shows apart from each other thus I am dissapointed. For the first time since SGA and SG-1 have been airing side by side has sg-1 been better than SGA. Oh well every season is allowed a bad episode (hopefully this will be the only one).

Comment

Yep, good episode. Intriguing way to let us learn more about the team and their backgrounds. I found it interesting that they all so passionately wanted to go back to Atlantis. Up until this episode I've never seen Weir as having that much of a passion for the exploration part of their trip and for the people of the Pegasus galaxy. I feel much better about her character after this episode.

Shep figured it out pretty quickly didn't he? And immediately started testing his theory by thinking about people he knew shouldn't be around. I love that about him, he's got basic common sense smarts. I was convinced Teyla was an alien the whole time and yet it appears she was actually sharing Shep's little virtual reality trip?? Maybe Teyla just comes across as fake to me. I like that they're calling Sheppard "Shep".

McKay was great, both in his guise as real McKay, reacting to the incompetence of the SGC staff and in his guise as fake!McKay. It was unfortunate that AT couldn't play Carter in this episode because surely McKay would have imagined her into his little reality.

I didn't think it was unusual for Hammond to be around but it was pretty strange that O'Neill never turned up. Weir should have at least asked about O'Neill. Interesting that she noticed that Narim...er...Simon kissed differently. Guess aliens aren't good at faking that kind of stuff.

One of the best episodes to date. Written by Joe and Paul and directed by a lady whose name I can't remember. The effects on the planet were very good, enjoyed all the characters this week. McKay is just too cute. Poor guy, no messages on his machine after being gone for months, leftover food in the couch. Of course I guess that's his little reality. I guess the fantasy part was the cat-sitter having a thing for him.
                              Last edited by keshou; 10 September 2004, 08:20 PM.
                              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

OK, but that still doesn't explain why no one questioned his presence. It only explains why she didn't personally mention O'Neill before "returning" home. But surely she would have noticed that immediately when she arrived? Why not just have Jack there as he should be, and Hammond just visiting? I mean, it seemed like Hammond was running the entire SGC, and no one cared. At least Weir could have asked Hammond "where's Gen. O'Neill?" or something like that when they stepped through...
                                M
                                I
                                N
                                O
                                R

S
                                G

S

S
                                P
                                O
                                I
                                L
                                E
                                R
                                S

Maybe this takes place during "Good to Be King," when Jack's off-world, and Hammond just "happened" to stop by.

The Mist-Hammond did say that they didn't understand our customs. That'll take care of most of the plot holes.

Comment

Working...
                                X