Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Home (109)

Chief Master Sergeant Vespasianus's Avatar

Default Re: Home (109)

Well, Home isn't my favourite SGA episode, but I liked it. I think the best thing in it is the music and the new city-view at the beginning.

I think that would have been a much better episode, if we didn't know from the beginning this was not real.

McKay's backpack, next to the chocolate and power bars

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat
    I missed the rebroadcast (fighting with my comp). In the scene in Shep's Dream House, Shep is looking all reflective and Teyla deduces that he's thinking about Weir "and the rest of the people on Atlantis." Were Shep and Weir ever in a scene together in the Fractured Fairy Tales, or in his reality did he (and Teyla) assume that Weir stayed behind to keep an eye on things in Atlantis? If so, is it possible that Weir assumed the same about Shep? That could explain why all the senior staff went through- they didn't know they were ALL going through, they assumed some stayed behind.
    Forgot to mention that myself. I thought that was the "if you didn't know something was wrong before, we're really telling you now" scene since it was apparent that both Weir and Sheppard were on Earth but neither was referencing the other.

Quote Originally Posted by the dancer of spaz
    And the switching between McKay and Weir in the lab was really cool.
    Yes, that was really great!

Quote Originally Posted by IwantToBelieve
    My hubby guessed about the friends being dead.
    I saw Sheppard get kind of misty eyed there so I knew he knew something was wrong. But, seeing dead people? Very clever, Sheppard.

Like you said, it's probably a bit like reading a book in a foreign language- just because the Mist can read minds doesn't mean it understands it. How would it know which pieces to take and how to stitch it together properly? Imagine you've been introduced to McKay as an astrophysicist. You have a cheat sheet of terminology and theories that he can't see. How long do you think it would be before he realises that you flunked high school physics?
    Yeah, McKay knows exactly how the world is supposed to work, but the Mist is running behind him asking "what are you trying to say here?" and trying to throw it up on his computer. It can't keep up. It's not really pictures, after all, is it? The Mist had an easier time with concrete images, like Sheppard's apartment, than with abstractions.

For whoever mentioned the green plants in Sheppard's place vs the dead ones in McKay's: I thought the dead plants at McKay's place were like that before he left!

My kind of guy:
    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Quote Originally Posted by FoolishPleasure
    Agree with another poster - would have been cool for a Steve cameo at the party! *LOL*
    LOL that woulda rocked.
    *Shepard looks over at couch.
    *Steve raises beer and gives Shepard a head nod.

Quote Originally Posted by puddlejumper747
    Someone answer this PLEASE:
    Why did Weir say that they could "go home and brief Gen. Hammond"? She knew he wasn't in charge of the SGC anymore. I mean she took over because he left! And Jack sent her off! So why didn't she (or any other member of the team) question the presence of Gen. Hammond and the lack of General O'Neill????
    THANK YOU! That was the first thing my husband and I thought. Should have been a dead giveaway things were not right. And if they were pulling things from the team's minds, they would have known Sheppard's friends were dead and he would pick up on that. Duh! And Sheppard asking Teyla if things didn't feel right to her -- how would she know? She's never been to Earth before. And at least one, possibly two DeLuise's in the party scene...please!

The bright spot for me was a reappearance of Don S. Davis. We surely do miss him on SG-1.

Was it just me, or did it seem like most of the scenes with Don S. Davis were filmed separately and cleverly edited to make it look like he was actually on set with the other actors? For example, when he's walking to the elevator and the camera pans quickly and we see Sheppard coming down the hallway...that seemed quite abrupt -- neither actor was in the shot at the same time as the other. As they enter the elevator, each seems to make a very concerted effort to stand as far against opposite walls as possible (as if it were a composited split-screen shot) and then it's just quick back-and-forth shots of each actor in the elevator. Almost as if they filmed the scene at different times.

Later, when Hammond and Weir are in Rodney's lab near the end of the episode, they are on opposite sides of the screen, again indicating a possible split-screen composite.

Finally, at the end, when alien-Hammond is explaining the illusion to everyone in the gate room, he is distant from the rest of the group, and we see lots of shots of just him. Whenever we see him from the back facing the team, it could easily be a blue-screen shot. Whenever we see the back of an Atlantis team member speaking to him, it could easily be a body double.

I watched carefully and saw very few shots where Davis and another actor actually interacted. Lots of split-screens and quick-reverse shots. Did anyone else get this feeling? Might have something to do with Davis not wanting to commit a whole lot of time to Stargate after leaving the show? They might have had to film a lot of his stuff at once, sometimes without the other actors.

Or I could just be reading way too much into it...

I did get the feeling that Hammond wasn't quite "there", yeah. And in the debrief with Weir and McKay, he isn't quite looking in the directions he should be. Or at least, that's how I felt.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by NurseRatched
    Certainly no large ones, and nothing large enough to warrant the marina that we can see from Daniel's balcony in "The Light". Adding in a little stock footage of the Garden of the Gods area or maybe even CGI-ing in a few shots of, say, Pikes Peaks would make some of the exterior shots a little more Colorado Springs-y..

yes, it would. IIRC, there is even a freighter visible through daniel's window. that is one hell of a view! 1000 miles. wow, i need his apartment complex

and yeah, having someone go to colorado and shoot some actual b-roll of garden of the gods, pikes peak, etc would make it a LOT more believable.

Along with little things like the foliage too.

Quote Originally Posted by NurseRatched
    Another thought: Weir was working in Washington, D.C. prior to being assigned to the SGC. Was she already in a relationship with Simon? He appears to have a very nice house in Colorado Springs - unless the living-conveniently-in-easy-commuting-distance was all part of Wiers illusions.

I got the implication that ALL of them went home, but were still going back to the sgc....ok, so rod, who we last knew of was sent off to russia has an apartment in colorado springs? Along with Shep, who was assigned to the antarctic, weir who lived in DC (although i can sorta see her, since she got command of the sgc)

but all in all, the implication was that all of them went home....to thier places in the springs. And, other than weir, none of them had reason to be living in colorado

First Lieutenant KorbenDirewolf's Avatar

I missed the rebroadcast (fighting with my comp). In the scene in Shep's Dream House, Shep is looking all reflective and Teyla deduces that he's thinking about Weir "and the rest of the people on Atlantis." Were Shep and Weir ever in a scene together in the Fractured Fairy Tales, or in his reality did he (and Teyla) assume that Weir stayed behind to keep an eye on things in Atlantis? If so, is it possible that Weir assumed the same about Shep? That could explain why all the senior staff went through- they didn't know they were ALL going through, they assumed some stayed behind.
    I think it was like this; Weir and McKay were together. Sheppard and Teyla were together. I don't know who Ford thought he was with.

I wonder if that Ancient gene accounts for the Major's unexpected ability to manipulate his reality?
    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

http://home.graffiti.net/kdiw/indiv.jpg

McKay's backpack, next to the chocolate and power bars

Quote Originally Posted by KorbenDirewolf
    I think it was like this; Weir and McKay were together. Sheppard and Teyla were together. I don't know who Ford thought he was with.

I wonder if that Ancient gene accounts for the Major's unexpected ability to manipulate his reality?
    I thought it had to do more with their individual talents. Weir and McKay deal more with abstractions. Diplomacy and theorethical physics. Sheppard is a pilot. He deals with what he sees, how he reacts to the physical world.

My kind of guy:
    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fifthmember
    THANK YOU! That was the first thing my husband and I thought. Should have been a dead giveaway things were not right.
    This was explained in about ten different posts after the one you quoted. I think it's extremely unlikely that they would have thought about briefing Jack because they aren't under Jack.

Think of the homeworld security stuff this way, Antartic Outpost/Atlantis Expedition (they are related to one another directly), and than the SGC/Alpha Site/Prometheus (the Pommie crew wear SGC patches), and than maybe Nellis and the research programs. They are all under General Hammond (sited by Weir in New Order. But they are not in each others chain of command. Jack does not command Nellis. The Pommie commander isn't in authority over the Antartic Outpost.

It's a bit like the combined combat commands that the US military is divided into. O'Neill is the commander of one element (like, say, Central Command), and Weir is in command of another (like, say, Southern Command). Hammond, in this analogy is the Chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. You don't expect the CG of Southern Command to brief the CG of central command about problems in the Panama canal. Now, he may get briefed on them by a lower ranking officer (because the canal has an effect on if his troops get to the Middle East), but SouthCom wouldn't answer to him, because it's not his area of authority.

Not sure how much that made sense.
    Last edited by Major Fischer; September 11th, 2004 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Clarification

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by watcher652
    I thought it had to do more with their individual talents. Weir and McKay deal more with abstractions. Diplomacy and theorethical physics. Sheppard is a pilot. He deals with what he sees, how he reacts to the physical world.
    Yeh that's sort of what I figured.

I personally loved the episode. The minor discrepencies were great, and I loved the bit where McKay and Weir kept talking to each other but switching clothes and that was soo cool.

I also liked the way the first major slip that something was wrong was to the audience (Sheppard talks about Weir in Atlantis).

Oh and Sheppards pad!!!! Godda!!!! How cool was that!!!! He has the coolest dream house ever!

Quote Originally Posted by KorbenDirewolf
    Well, since in the one bit of his reality we got he was talking to McKay, it's safe to assume he thought he went back with McKay and either Weir or Shep. There were no direct references made that I recall, so it's hard to guess.

Do you think that the Ford at Shep's place was the "real" Ford? Shouldn't he have already been shipped back to Antarctica or something? Or wouldn't he at least have complained to Shep about the reassignment?

Quote Originally Posted by Markey2
    Oh and Sheppards pad!!!! Godda!!!! How cool was that!!!! He has the coolest dream house ever!
    Agreed.

Yeah when I saw sheppard walk into that place I was like "Whoa I wish I had that place!"

One of the better episodes. The Hammond thing was a glaring plot gap that has been discussed well. Sounds like we all came up with our own explanations for the absence of O'Neill & Hammond's presence to make it work as we watched. I figured the Atlantis expedition was one of the programs that would fall under Hammond's new command & SG1 was off world (not that we ever see them off world this year.) But shouldn't Gen. H have 3 stars now with his promotion? Or did I just not see them all?

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jckfan55
    But shouldn't Gen. H have 3 stars now with his promotion? Or did I just not see them all?
    It was never established that he got a promotion in grade when he got the new position. I don't think we'll know for sure until we see Prometheus Unbound.

Chief Master Sergeant

I did get the feeling that Hammond wasn't quite "there", yeah. And in the debrief with Weir and McKay, he isn't quite looking in the directions he should be. Or at least, that's how I felt.
    I at least thought the Hammond character (whether it was Don's acting or scripted that way) seemed a little stiff in the interactions. So it could be because the lifeform character was not supposed to know how to interact with the humans correctly. But the idea that Don wasn't actually there and the editors spliced scenes together sounds plausible, too. It was like the timing/pace of the scenes was off a little, or people's tones or reactions or the directions they looked didn't quite mesh.

And still for those with the insistence that the characters should have raised questions about discrepancies, do you always have an awareness that you're dreaming when scenes or people are put together that don't usually go together? The "Mist" was working with their unconscious selves, so, along with helping them see what's not there, why couldn't they also prevent them from not rejecting what they see? It's all a mental thing, ya know.

And about which characters were together, Weir, McKay, and Ford had their own realities (like Weir and Ford interacted with a lab-coat wearing McKay), but "Hammond" said something about Teyla being put in with Sheppard's reality. Sheppard's facial expressions showed he knew things were up when he'd think of something and it would suddenly appear. That made me think some sentient beings were just trying to learn more about Earth by fabricating the environment. For Sheppard's reality, Teyla said that she was sure Weir and the others were fine back in Atlantis, so it was obvious the information he and Teyla received was false and it means that Weir and him probably weren't in the same reality together (just bringing up that detail for whoever was asking about it). And the same was true for Weir, since "Hammond" told her Sheppard okayed having a new mission and military presence at Atlantis. Additionally, the first scene where Hammond was standing to greet Weir (whether Don actually was in the same room or not) showed Weir on the ramp by herself, so a similar experience probably happened with the others' realities. The camera didn't show all of the Atlantis team going through the gate or all of them at the Cheyenne Complex when they got back to Earth. Teyla was put with Sheppard since she wouldn't have an idea of what Earth was like. Seeing all of them back home wouldn't make sense if it wasn't like a "dream sequence", since they were the main (credited) crew. That would mean Beckett, Peter Grodin, Kavanagh, Halling, and Sgt. Bates would have been left in charge of Atlantis?!?

I think I missed this detail, but Sheppard asked the driver to go to Green Moss Park, and he said things would make more sense when he sees it. Was he talking about an actual park and did they go there (and I missed it while doing other things), or was that the name of the apartment or subdivision he lived in? I like his comment about how he had all of the toys.

Also, if Sheppard and Teyla were sharing a reality, does that mean Sheppard imagined the clothes and the mall experience that Teyla would see (since she wouldn't have anything to base the experience on)? He'd have to imagine all of the places that she shopped at for hours, and he'd have to have stored in his memory all of the shopping items that she saw. Like if she wanted to go to a pet store and Sheppard didn't like pets or have any animal memories, how would the Mist have dealt with that situation? Or, kind of like the blind spot right in front of you that everyone's brains compensate for, did Sheppard and Teyla only receive the feeling that they shopped, but the full details, like in a dream, really weren't there even though your brain accepts it as fact? What if Teyla didn't want to wear the clothes/lip gloss that Sheppard saw her wearing or wanted her to wear? Did he see her one way, but if we saw her perception of herself, she'd have on different clothes? That would have been funny if he only thought of evening gowns, so that was all that she had to choose from when shopping. When thinking about virtual reality scenes for two people, I just wonder how they'd really happen. Like if Teyla and Sheppard went swimming, and he imagined her as a good swimmer, but she was deathly afraid of water, who's thoughts would govern the 'show' if they still were interacting? And if Sheppard had awakened, would the rest of Teyla's experience then gone stagnant, since the Mist wouldn't have much to go on to continue the illusion? Just curious, but mostly just thinking visibly (as opposed to "out loud")...

Anyway, good episode; I think I'll replay it after the Sooners win another game.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingjedi
    Was anybody here hoping Weir would purpose...er I mean accidently get pushed through the gate to Earth and not be able to come back?
    Yes, but not just hoping... I was screaming it at the top of my lungs!!
    O'Neill: "Well, we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it."
    Bra'tac: "No, the bridge is too well guarded."

Chief Master Sergeant Adamixoye's Avatar

Dancing hamsters!!! Great line.

All the stuff with Sheppard was great. There's a shot where he's pointing the gun and chugging his beer...not exactly something you'll see in a Hunter Safety Course.

As for Ford...I'm going to make a very unpopular suggestion. I think the character is okay, but if we don't get enough exposition/development...is that really a big deal? Is every single person who could be considered a "main character" in your life all that interesting, or do you know everything about them? That's an odd argument, I know. But the point is that I'm enjoying the character development of the other characters, while at the same time Ford doesn't annoy me. I'm okay if he's "just another guy" for now.

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver
    and yeah, having someone go to colorado and shoot some actual b-roll of garden of the gods, pikes peak, etc would make it a LOT more believable.

Along with little things like the foliage too.
    That reminds me of an X-Files episode, "E.B.E". They always type out the location of the scene so you know where they supposedly are. Well, in that episode, Mulder and Scully were sitting in a car off the side of the road, and the information stated "near the junction of Highway 283 and I-90" in Washington state. They were in a lush green forested area, and I think it looked overcast and rainy. Well, maybe to people who haven't visited that actual location, they may accept the scene as part of the "Evergreen State". But... you'd be hard-pressed to find that scene among the farms and sagebrush! Sure, western Washington is green, but central Washington- not so much... Also, in the same episode, they state that they traveled around a forested Mattawa for an hour and didn't find anything. First off, Mattawa isn't a forest wilderness. And second, after maybe the most about 3 minutes you'd see there isn't much extra-terrestrial activity or even a powerplant in the area! But it was a great example of a show calling for suspension of disbelief, even though the facts they messed up on were easy for some to verify and probably not even picked up by the majority...

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast