• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home (109)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE ATLANTIS - SEASON ONE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 109

McKay's efforts to harness the energy of an alien planet's atmosphere allows for a return trip to Earth -- but the team may not be able to return to Atlantis.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 February 2021, 08:52 PM.

Best ep yet, IMO. The idea's been done, but rarely as well as this. And man, it was good to see Don in uniform again. Seeing Teyla act so giddy about the mall was funny, if a little strange.

Comment

Overall It was a good episode. It's good to know that we can destroy the Wraith's ability to get to Earth by just dropping that control crystal, instead of blowing up the gate.
      sigpic

Comment

It was beautifly done. I like how we saw the inside of a semi-charged ZPM. Shouldn't a vacuum have been created though?

Comment

Originally posted by cdcarter
          It was beautifly done. I like how we saw the inside of a semi-charged ZPM. Shouldn't a vacuum have been created though?
          I think that was McKay's point for dropping it. It didn't cause a huge accident, so it wasn't real.
          sigpic

Comment

It was definitely a good episode. But probably not that great. *sad*

If they gave more information about the aliens and their history, then it would have been a 10/10... but it was predictable... but still cool... 7/10

Comment

VERY good. Kept me guessing. I almost thought it was some sort of twisted AU ep.

Comment

Seemed more like a filler episode here. Basically, once again, we didn't explore Atlantis, we didn't find any new technology, we didn't learn any more about the Wraith.

When Hammond morphed into the mist being, I thought, cool, maybe these are Ancients that stayed behind, maybe they stayed hoping that humanity would progress to the point where they could assist them defeat the Wraith.

Comment

I'm really finding myself enjoying this episode a lot, on a number of different levels. Probably one of my favorites of the entire series ...

A) Primarily because of the character developement. Weir, Sheppard and McKay got the most here IMO. Though Ford, and Teyla got a fair amount as well. Getting to see where some of the major characters lived gives a great feal for their personalities. I think the best aspects though, were how well the script explored each of their feelings about Atlantis, about Earth, and more importantly, about the people they have taken the expedition with. They wanted very badly to go home, but only with the idea that they might be able to come back.

Each wants to go home, but not blindly. Each has, in their heart, the adventure, the idea of Atlantis. Of the possibilities which... seems to be so much more real than many sci fi series which are about supposed to be about exploring the unknown. It's a light in their eyes, and all I can think of is that it's a combination of very good writing and very good actors who can crawl far enough into their characters heads to absolutely be there.

You know that Weir does love Simon, and she's sorry for hurting him, but she really isn't in love with him enough to give up what is deeper in her soul. You know that despite Sheppard's flippant attitude occasionally, she trusts him. Absolutely. Things had bothered her before, but the idea that Sheppard had betrayed her trust was the moment that she knew it wasn't real.

Sheppard we learned, I think, the most interesting things about. It was his imagination we were seeing more than his longing. It gives a hint of so many possibilities that seem almost deeper than the idea that Jack is the next step in human evolution. On a less deep level (for lack of a better term), the book seen is telling. It was about how he was a very smart man, who wants to learn something, but when someone comes to close to asking him about that, of discovering that part of himself, he covers it up with snark. And I think Elizabeth saw through it.

McKay was much more subtle. Sure, we saw his appartment, and watched him eat months old snack food. That was McKay. But I think the truely important thing we learned was that when the myst beings could read their minds, even he was not selfish enough to want home at the expense of millions of intelligent beings. Rodney as hero, much like Hide and Seek Atlantis is his place to be a hero. He would never have a chance to show those qualities at home. And I think personally, that he knows it.

B) The plot. So there had been a great many discussions before this episode aired about how it had been overly spoiled. How even SciFi had given too much away in the promos. It wasn't all that long into the episode that I realized that the information that they weren't really back on earth wasn't a spoiler at all. Or at least not an important thing. As things started to be 'off' it became about trying to figure out with the characters what was really going on. We all know there will be an episode next week. If we're watching SG1 we know that there are things wrong with the world anyway (Hammond, the lack of O'Neil, or any of SG1 for example) The threat that they could never return to Atlantis wouldn't have worked for real tension. How they were going to get out though. That's where the tension was.

C) Production things... I liked the CGI on the planet. Thought it was a nifty image, nicely done. Was I the only one who felt like they had shot the epsiode in a way so that the scenes on earth were more vivid, more bright than they were in the Atlantis shots. Like a visual clue that this isn't real?

So things I think would have made the episode tad better... Could they have possibly gotten some of the SG1 people to ... just walk though a scene? Even if they weren't part of the episode. I for one felt like the biggest missing element though was Carter. I have difficulty with the idea that McKay wouldn't have wanted Carter there to work on the problem.

Or that McKay wouldn't have dreamed about Carter.

--

Best line of the epsiode. Most definately the bit about looking through a microscope and seeing dancing hampsters.

Comment

Someone answer this PLEASE:
                    Why did Weir say that they could "go home and brief Gen. Hammond"? She knew he wasn't in charge of the SGC anymore. I mean she took over because he left! And Jack sent her off! So why didn't she (or any other member of the team) question the presence of Gen. Hammond and the lack of General O'Neill????
                    There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

It had a few plotholes. New Order came before Rising. Therefore, O'Neill was appointed General... Weir didnt ask on screen on what happened to General O'Neill and the rest of Sg-1?

""Yeah, you know, I remember that. I also remember that you were killed two days later just outside of Kabul."

I loved that completely.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
                        Someone answer this PLEASE:
                        Why did Weir say that they could "go home and brief Gen. Hammond"? She knew he wasn't in charge of the SGC anymore. I mean she took over because he left! And Jack sent her off! So why didn't she (or any other member of the team) question the presence of Gen. Hammond and the lack of General O'Neill????
                        I was wondering the same exact thing. It did not make sense .

Comment

Pretty good episode IMO. It was nice seeing Narim... err, Simon again. It got pretty confusing near the end, but that might be due to the acute lack of sleep. Still haven't seen too much in Teyla though- when Shepard said at the end "I thought that was you" I couldn't really figure out how he could even tell.
                          Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                          RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Hammond's in charge of all space defense now, so he'd ultimately be the one to talk to. But I thought it was strange that she question him being there as soon as she stepped through.

Comment

Originally posted by buckner
                              I was wondering the same exact thing. It did not make sense .
                              General Hammond oversees both the SGC and the Prometheus. It would stand to reason that he also Oversees Atlantis as a seperate project related to, but not part of, the SGC. Therefore, O'neill doesn't need to be involved.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X