Poisoning the Well (107)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major Fischer
    There is a story that i heard on NPR--so I'm hoping it's not urban legend--that the makers of the Lord of the Rings movies had insisted that each little guy in the massive battle simulations "be fighting for himself" and "be realistic as possible." So the programers programed each little guy to fight for his own survival, and ran the sims... and the armies kept running away.
    That's a true story and no urban myth. They talked about it on some behind-the-scenes thing on one of the LOTR DVDs, but with the billions of featurettes on those DVDs I can't remember which one it was.
    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I thought so But the point being, just because we can help someone behind us, doesn't nessecarily mean we can solve the problem instantly. Especially given that I haven't seen much evidence that the Atlantis team has access to the city's computers. If the city has computers.

Comment

After watching "Affinity," I found this episode to be such a relief. Not much action, but a good episode that dealt with ethics and morality. Is it just me, or does it seem that ethics and morality were checked at the door (or, rather the gate) when the SGA crew stepped foot on Atlantis? Thus far, some of the SGA crew seems quite willing to cast aside ethics if it benefits Atlantis. I loved Beckett in this episode, and I also think Weir and Teyla are beginning to find their niche. My only problem is when will we see Ford shine? Oh well, maybe in a future episode. But Steve? Absolutely hilarious.

Shep: I don't even know your name.
        Wraith: I am your death.
        Shep: I think I prefer Steve.

LOL!

Comment

*sniff* Please do not remind me of Steve, I am still in mourning.

Teyla still annoys me. I say take her and bring Steve back, then Steve could become REALLY like Teal'c. Ya know, and old "bad guy" helping out the "good guys" But I don't think that Steve would have given up his awesome leather jacket for the regular old Atlantis civillian gear. I still like Weir better, although I think she's still kinda shifting from side to side a little.
          Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
          RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

It was very interesting to me to see how Sheppard's perception of the Wraith seemed to shift just a little as soon as he named him. One of you mentioned something about naming animals in testing labs... so true. We give something a human quality - even just a name - and begin to attribute other human qualities to it as well. Sheppard was actually concerned about him when he was dying.

Someone else asked about the metal things on the wraiths hands... I think they administer the chemical that allows them to drain life forces, kind of like a fingertip hypodermic.

Ummm... what else? Oh yeah, it was mentioned that 96% support seemed unrealistic and WWII mentioned as an example. Problem is that example doesn't really fit. In WWII the average American didn't really feel the threat of Hitler - it was on the other side of the world, what did we have to worry about? So we were slow to care about another culture being wiped from the face of the planet. Once America was directly attacked, we were in it 100%. Not too difficult to believe nearly 100% of Hoffans would want the drug as it the Wraith directly affected *them* not some distant group of people.

I think the Hoffans were stupid not to give more consideration to Wraith retaliation once the Wraith discovered the effects of the drug. Sheppard's probably right - they won't exist after the Wraith find out the human's have discovered weakness.

I did not like the fact that Parna was killed off. I think it would have been an interesting dilemma for Beckett to be attracted to someone whose values are so completely opposite of his and see how he coped with that. It would also put a dent in his fear of gate travel. BTW - this is the 2nd Star Trek reference directly involving Beckett. Think he's a fan?

Overall I haven't seen a character I don't like in Atlantis, except Bates. Interesting to note that Bates always seems to have a scowl on his face and tries to look menacing... seems to come off as constipated, though. Teyla is a bit dramatic, but her character is around I think to act as a guide to worlds the Athosians have traded with in the past. I've like Weir and Ford from the beginning and McKay is one of my favorites.

Raised a few more questions than answered though... they tried other life forms to feed Steve, but what and where did they get them? And did it not work because it wasn't human, or because Steve wasn't hungry enough yet to break down and feed on something non-human? It would certainly knock some of the wind out of the Wraith if it was discovered they could feed on other forms but chose humans because they were more satisfying and Steve would most likely attempt to protect that image. Or it could just be late and I'm off on a weird tangent.

Oh yeah, someone else asked how Steve died... not sure if it's a "spoiler" so better safe than yelled at...
            Spoiler:
            The serum meant to prevent the chemical from working that allows the Wraith to feed entered into Steve and mutated, poisoning him and causing all of his internal organs to shut down. It appeared to be a very painful death.
            Last edited by Cydonia; 21 August 2004, 09:17 PM. Reason: one more thing...

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
              I thought so But the point being, just because we can help someone behind us, doesn't nessecarily mean we can solve the problem instantly. Especially given that I haven't seen much evidence that the Atlantis team has access to the city's computers. If the city has computers.
              The city has computers. We brought them with us! Remember the Dells with the nice Atlantis stickers? Oh yeah, now that's the technology of the Ancients.
              Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoBoY
                Hey and isnt that the same lady who was in The Cure in Season 6?
                Yep. It was

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthespirit
                  I only have one problem with this episode. I find the speed at which the whole world committed to taking the drug implausible
                  True, from OUR perspective. When WE think of getting the WHOLE CIVILIZATION to vote, we are talking about 5-6 billing people. They never mentioned HOW MANY total people voted or how large their population had grown since the last culling.

If they had only been around for say 100 years, it is doubtful they had grown beyond the size of a large city. Plus, the vote didn't take very long to execute which supports the fact that there weren't many of them to survey.

Also, as another member said. Their whole society built on and was devoted to the successful development and execution of this serum. They were very committed.

Comment

This might just be my favorite episode after Rising. Good to see Beckett take center stage and get out of the infirmary. (Although, he ends up in another one, but still...)

Loved all the scenes with Sheppard and Steve the Wraith (who has already reached legendary status, it would seem). "I am your death, that is all you need to know." ... "I prefer Steve." Too funny. I don't really get all the comparisons to O'Neill though, regarding Sheppard. Sure, he's witty and sarcastic, but I think Flanigan has put a whole other spin on the character and I have not once found myself thinking that RDA would say it this way or that way.

Really liked the fact that there was no happy ending and that it was all left sort of 'out in the open'. I'm thinking they´re gonna revisit this plot again, some day.
                    Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

One question about Sheppard's last line of the episode: What was it?

Beckett: Victory at all cost. That sound familiar, major?
                      Sheppard: (mumbles)
                      Beckett: Aye. Never thought I'd disagree.

I've rewatched that part a bunch of times, but I can't decipher his line! Help, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                        One question about Sheppard's last line of the episode: What was it?

Beckett: Victory at all cost. That sound familiar, major?
                        Sheppard: (mumbles)
                        Beckett: Aye. Never thought I'd disagree.

I've rewatched that part a bunch of times, but I can't decipher his line! Help, anyone?
                        I think it was Churchill. I had a difficult time making it out myself, but I'm pretty sure that's it.
                        Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Ahhhh. The only thing I could make out of it was "trick show", but I didn't think that made much sense. Thanks.

Comment

It's definitely "Churchill". Notice how Beckett, a citizen of the United Kingdom, says how he never imagined ever disagreeing with it (with its WWII/Earth implications)...
                            We suspend our disbelief, and we are entertained...

Comment

So, folks.....

Do we or do we not have a REALLY effective anti-Wraith weapon? And how effective is it? And in what scenarios would it be best used?

Comment

Might be an alternative to cyanide pills. Sounds like it's a more painful way to go, but not as bad as being Wraith food.

Comment

Working...
                                X