Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gwangung
    So, folks.....

Do we or do we not have a REALLY effective anti-Wraith weapon? And how effective is it? And in what scenarios would it be best used?
    As it is currently constituted, and for the Atlantis team, the only way that it could be used ethically would be as a 'last ditch' thing. If you KNOW that you are going to be captured by the Wraith, you take it, and pray that the way they chose to kill you when they find out what's in your system is faster than what the feeding might do, or what the drug might do.

Comment

Originally posted by Livi2Jack
      No, the Wraith were not attacking at that moment. Kits could have been issued with instructions to take in case of attack with warnings that testing would continue and the serum may be replaced, so keep up with the news.
      Now, there's a good idea!

Originally posted by TheHomegaMan
      Teyla's role? I've got it! She's Jiminey Cricket!
      Does that mean she'll get squished?

One cliche, from both SG-1 and Atlantis, that I begin to hate is that any culture not "primative" seems to be Victorian.

And after "Childhood's End"
      Spoiler:
      and the big deal about respecting local religious sacrifices

it seemed odd that they were so adamant that the Hoffan government respect our values. I saw their point of view, but I also saw the Hoffans'.

Last point: Dr. Weir had a Terra Cotta Soldier miniature and South American native-looking pot in her office. Personal items or was there an Interior Decorating Alowance in the mission planing?

Comment

Develop a gaseous/powered version of the serum, put it in a delivery system, and when they find hive ships, feed it through the venting system. It looked kinda red, so we can call it red dust. Oh wait, we did that in V. So glad the full series is out on dvd now but that's off topic.

However, I'm curious if they would have explored the possibility of salt-water types of attacks for effectiveness against wraith since it had some effectiveness on the bug on Shepherd's neck that seemed to be a distant relative. Sure, might be hard to capture wraith, but it might be easier to collect a bunch of those slug things and work on those for a while as well. Just a thought.

Overall, I found the episode decent, ethics and morality, etc. I'm kinda bothered that the ancients never found a way to counter the wraith life sucking with their advanced biotech. Watch out, I'll predict that in season 5 of SGA, we'll find sneezing on wraith is the miracle weapon, and they'll stop bothering us when someone gets SARS.

Comment

Originally posted by Summerfield
          Last point: Dr. Weir had a Terra Cotta Soldier miniature and South American native-looking pot in her office. Personal items or was there an Interior Decorating Alowance in the mission planing?
          Could be. Could have been that they are part of a representation of traditional earth cultures, which is my guess, but i don't think we'll know.

Comment

Gifts from a lovestruck Daniel who smuggled them into the team's supplies.

Or maybe they're actually Ancient trinkets.

Comment

I can't wait till we see the giant Tiki man that Weir's hiding in her office. That and stuffed Steve would rock!
              Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

After thinking about it a bit, I'm not sure if this will ever be issued as a last ditch measure; not well tested enough and they'd probably want to tinker with it more before they issue it to the field.

As for it being an offensive weapon...it may not do the Atlantis team any good. It's not particularly fast acting....it'd work best as a booby trap.....

Comment

Steve puts a nice twist on the Wraith.

Great ep tho. A lot better than 38 miins where I actually fell asleep.

Comment

Steve?!

Oh come on, he was a "Vince" if anything.You know,short for "Vincent",...as in "Vincent Price".....??
                    Oh well,it was still funny.I too,shall never be able to hear that name[Steve]& not think of SGA's pet Wraith with the totally "rad" leather jacket.He was too cool for words IMO.I knew it when he gave his 1st evil glare in the series opener..

spoiler space "Rising" pt 1 or 2[can't remember]

When he came into the cell to retrieve a prisoner[a.k.a the appetizer] & "Sumner" stepped up in his face."Steve's" expession was like[to me anyway ]..."D@#^!! I thought we were having home-made lasagna!What do we get?...Leftover fish sticks!....I hate fish sticks!!!
                    nugglebugget

greetings from the "Bluegrass State"where the grass is actually green,just like everywhere else

Comment

[QUOTE=nugglebugget]Steve?!

Oh come on, he was a "Vince" if anything.You know,short for "Vincent",...as in "Vincent Price".....??
                      [QUOTE]

Good point...he DID remind me a little bit of John Travolta in "Pulp Fiction..."

Comment

I just thought of something concerning the desired effect of the drug.

The SGA team was bothered by the fact that it killed the "Wraith".The argument being that the Wraith would wipe the people out in retaliation.Ok,but the drug,if it worked properly would have eventually starved them to death.Dead Wraith either way.
                        Even if they could,in fact,feed on other life forms[unclear],it's been pretty much established that "humans" are their 1st choice.You deny someone their fave[or only]choice in sustanence,it tends to tick them off a bit.

To sum it up,it would've made "humans" useless to them.The fact that they were smart enough to come up with it makes them a threat.The Wraith could figure "we're gonna starve to death,or at least be reduced to feeding on lesser choice pickings....let's wipe them out first".I think there'd be a retaliatory massacre anyway.
                        nugglebugget

greetings from the "Bluegrass State"where the grass is actually green,just like everywhere else

Comment

One thing that I just started thinking about on a second viewing of this episode:

Why take Steve to his 'meal' that obviously amounts to a dangerous prisoner transfer, when they could have just as easily have brought the patient (and some of the docs) to Atlantis to do the test. Seems to me like a silly risk.

Comment

My gut reaction would be to keep the location of Atlantis a secret. The fewer the societies that know where it is, the less likely the Wraith will take cull a herd that A) knows Atlantis's address and B) knows that the humans are operating out of Atlantis. Well, that or they wanted to see Steve smiling as he was put in the Jumper.
                            Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              "How many Hive ships are activated?"

"All of them."

That's not really an answer. How many is ALL? Two? Three? Three hundred? I'm surprised they let him get away with such a vague answer.
                              The only reason to ask the question was to lure Steve into dinining on Merrell. Does anybody believe that "Steve" would have given them an honest accounting of just how many ships there were? Nope, but I agree, it wasn't the best questions, and the writers could have thought of something else to ask, but oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                                One question about Sheppard's last line of the episode: What was it?

Beckett: Victory at all cost. That sound familiar, major?
                                Sheppard: (mumbles)
                                Beckett: Aye. Never thought I'd disagree.

I've rewatched that part a bunch of times, but I can't decipher his line! Help, anyone?
                                Churchill. From his famous June 1940 speech. Me thinks I'm the only one who's ever watched PBS

Basically, what the Hoffans had was a pyrric victory. Sure, they'll be immune to the Wraith, but the Wraith will wipe 'em all out. Hence, the title, poisoning the well (which doesn't need explaining). er, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X