Childhood's End (106)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kes
    Ha! I spelled it just like Shipperahoy 'cause she sounded like she knew what she was doing!
    Ha! That's what you get for listening to Shipper!

Next time, listen to David. He may be a turkey*, but he knows how to spell. Usually...

On topic: Really liked Cortenay's hair in this ep. Short and spikey- just the way I like it.

*And I mean "turkey" in the nicest possible way. Heck, some of my best friends are turkeys!
    Last edited by ShadowMaat; 14 August 2004, 06:54 AM. Reason: clarification :P

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      I figured it was more of a "I have a crick in my neck" kind of thing. Or it was a subconscious move he wasn't really aware of. I don't think there was any serious reason for doing it. Or at least, I didn't read it that way.
      Made me think of plexing, a technique Deanna Troi employed, tapping some vein in the neck to calm yourself. Dunno for sure

Comment

Not too bad of a episode. Loved the McKay/kids scenes - too funny! Some things reminded me a little too much of Peter Pan, though. Thought a little harshly about McKay wanting to take the ZPM, but since the electromagnetic field had been operating for so long, the planet probably had a Bermuda Triangle type myth surrounding it for the Wraith (go there and you never come back), which might have continued to protect it (at least for a while) if it hadn't been for the Wraith transmitter.
        "Dogs are my favorite people"

Comment

[QUOTE=MajShepThought a little harshly about McKay wanting to take the ZPM, but since the electromagnetic field had been operating for so long, the planet probably had a Bermuda Triangle type myth surrounding it for the Wraith (go there and you never come back), which might have continued to protect it (at least for a while) if it hadn't been for the Wraith transmitter.[/QUOTE]

Ah, yes, that worked well for the people of Cimmeria.
          "Oh my god! He's got COOMBS with him!"

Comment

This episode was very "Stargatey" with most of the show taking place away from Atlantis (off world), which is a nice change of pace. The plot could of been better but overall not to bad an episode. I loved watching Mckay with those two kids.
            "You speak you're mind" - Kytano

"That's why I don't say much"- Jack

Comment

Eh...

That was about my feeling on the episode. Not bad. Not great. Somewhere about the same level of Hide and Seek. Not a big fan of kids, so the episode just didn't do much for me. Couple of comments...

The Treehouses: The CGI is very nicely done, I thought they were real while I was watching the episode and pretty seemless, which is, I suppose, what good CGI is supposed to do. Nice job folks, can't complain.

The Characters:

Sheppard: I generally like Sheppard, but like the episode in general, I was just...eh.

McKay: Liked a lot of lines of his, and his character is developing nicely. I felt a little sympathy for him, but I'm also the kind of adult who would tell the kids to "go to your rooms."

Ford: They're still not doing a great job of giving him, gravetas... depth, so far he could be a replacable lieutenant of the week. Just not feeling him.

Teyla: She was less annoying to me in this episode, but it seemed like everyone else pretty much ignored her... odd.

Weir: I think they're getting a better feel for what her role should be, and how to use her. What little of her in this episode seemed pretty good. The scenes with her and McKay were about the only ones I wasn't eh about, but than, they were also the only ones without kids.

Just my week for Stargate eps...

Comment

Fairly...dull. There was nothing here really intense or particularly interesting. Or new.

One thing that especially annoyed me: they had the potential for a thorny moral issue and they blew it. We(meaning Earth expatriates) need a ZPM to power the city and/or get home. They (meaning inhabitants of the planet) need it to power the shield. It could have been a real *choice* for the Earthers: their needs vs. the inhabitants, and what we have the right to do to survive.

Instead, they make the ZPM useless for us--moral dilemma now goes away. We can't use it, so we no longer have to make the choice.

Very bad drama. Or rather, no drama at all.

And did I miss it? Did they ever explain exactly *who* built the shield? The ZPM is Ancient tech, but if the Ancients had the shield technology, then they should have been able to fend off the Wraith, which they apparently couldn't. So, who were the people who did it? The inhabitants' ancestors? Is there anything on this planet to suggest that 500 years ago, they were that advanced? Not that I could see.

And I think that learning how to build the shield is even more important for "our guys" than getting the ZPM. A power source is useless if nothing in the city can fend off the Wraith (except for escaping through the gate).

J.
                "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by P90
                  Speaking of those bows, did those crossbows look exactly like the ones from Double Jeopardy?
                  And did you notice the plywood was cut on the wrong plane to make the bows even more unusuable?
                  Causality should not be taken lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
                    Question about McKay.... when he took the compass and was looking for the source of the EM field, at one point he stood there with the compass in one hand and the other hand on his neck. It was almost as if he was checking his pulse, but his hand was too far back, on the side of his neck. Was he just striking a dramatic pose? Or was that for a reason that I somehow missed?
                    When I saw that clip during the opening credits, I first thought he was holding a jacket over his shoulder with his finger, you know the look. Then I thought, why would he be doing that? So then thought he was just rubbing his neck, maybe in puzzlement or frustration, given the look he has on his face. Kind of a "Now What?" move. Maybe his neck still hurt from being banged around in the puddle jumper and then having to hold his head down to stare at the compass.

I did like how McKay first was thought the compass was stupid then grabs it out of Ford's hand when he realizes what was making the compass wonky.

Here's something so trivial I don't know why I'm even thinking about it. I'm trying to figure out when the crew uses first names, titles or last names. McKay has said both Dr. Weir and Elizabeth at different times, I think. It just struck me when he ws coming up the stairs to talk to her about the ZPM, because I was expecting him to call her Elizabeth, but he called her Dr. Weir instead. Maybe because he was talking to her in an official way. Or maybe I'm just wrong and he's never called her Elizabeth to her face? Sheppard has said both Rodney and McKay. Weir has said both Rodney and McKay. Weir and McKay are both "civilians". Sheppard and Ford are either addressed by their rank, their last names, or rank/last names. Of course, Teyla is just Teyla.

My kind of guy:
                    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                      When I saw that clip during the opening credits, I first thought he was holding a jacket over his shoulder with his finger, you know the look.
                      There IS one point when he does that. His jacket or his backpack. After the confrontation with the kidlets he snatches up his pack (or jacket) and stalks off and he has it hooked over his shoulder.

As for the names thing... no clue. Could depend on individual mood or- as you said- "officialness".

Comment

I think I may have missed something. Did McKay park the PJ far enough away so that after he extended the shield it would still be outside of the shield?
                        The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                          I think I may have missed something. Did McKay park the PJ far enough away so that after he extended the shield it would still be outside of the shield?
                          Yes, he made a point of relaying that info to Shep when he and Ford returned.

I wonder if the Wraith would still send a ship or something to check things out...

Comment

I thought this episode was avarage on it's own and the worst of the 6 eps shown 'till now, great series...I hope it lasts a long long time

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              Yes, he made a point of relaying that info to Shep when he and Ford returned.
                              I remember McKay radioing that he had parked outside of the shield, but I can't seem to remember him saying anything about extending it until the very end of the show. Probably just I missed it. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess that wasn't the great big plot hole I thought it was.
                              The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                                I remember McKay radioing that he had parked outside of the shield, but I can't seem to remember him saying anything about extending it until the very end of the show. Probably just I missed it. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess that wasn't the great big plot hole I thought it was.
                                Ohhh yeah, THAT bit. Hmmm. May be a plot hole after all, unless he parked REALLY far away. I just can't imagine McKay volunteering for extra hiking.

Comment

Working...
                                X