Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

Default Re: Childhood's End (106)

Eh...

That was about my feeling on the episode. Not bad. Not great. Somewhere about the same level of Hide and Seek. Not a big fan of kids, so the episode just didn't do much for me. Couple of comments...

The Treehouses: The CGI is very nicely done, I thought they were real while I was watching the episode and pretty seemless, which is, I suppose, what good CGI is supposed to do. Nice job folks, can't complain.

The Characters:

Sheppard: I generally like Sheppard, but like the episode in general, I was just...eh.

McKay: Liked a lot of lines of his, and his character is developing nicely. I felt a little sympathy for him, but I'm also the kind of adult who would tell the kids to "go to your rooms."

Ford: They're still not doing a great job of giving him, gravetas... depth, so far he could be a replacable lieutenant of the week. Just not feeling him.

Teyla: She was less annoying to me in this episode, but it seemed like everyone else pretty much ignored her... odd.

Weir: I think they're getting a better feel for what her role should be, and how to use her. What little of her in this episode seemed pretty good. The scenes with her and McKay were about the only ones I wasn't eh about, but than, they were also the only ones without kids.

Just my week for Stargate eps...

Re: Childhood's End (106)

Fairly...dull. There was nothing here really intense or particularly interesting. Or new.

One thing that especially annoyed me: they had the potential for a thorny moral issue and they blew it. We(meaning Earth expatriates) need a ZPM to power the city and/or get home. They (meaning inhabitants of the planet) need it to power the shield. It could have been a real *choice* for the Earthers: their needs vs. the inhabitants, and what we have the right to do to survive.

Instead, they make the ZPM useless for us--moral dilemma now goes away. We can't use it, so we no longer have to make the choice.

Very bad drama. Or rather, no drama at all.

And did I miss it? Did they ever explain exactly *who* built the shield? The ZPM is Ancient tech, but if the Ancients had the shield technology, then they should have been able to fend off the Wraith, which they apparently couldn't. So, who were the people who did it? The inhabitants' ancestors? Is there anything on this planet to suggest that 500 years ago, they were that advanced? Not that I could see.

And I think that learning how to build the shield is even more important for "our guys" than getting the ZPM. A power source is useless if nothing in the city can fend off the Wraith (except for escaping through the gate).

J.
    "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

http://www.angelfire.com/magic/le_mo...rkpicsmall.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by P90
    Speaking of those bows, did those crossbows look exactly like the ones from Double Jeopardy?
    And did you notice the plywood was cut on the wrong plane to make the bows even more unusuable?
    Causality should not be taken lightly.

McKay's backpack, next to the chocolate and power bars

Quote Originally Posted by jyh
    Question about McKay.... when he took the compass and was looking for the source of the EM field, at one point he stood there with the compass in one hand and the other hand on his neck. It was almost as if he was checking his pulse, but his hand was too far back, on the side of his neck. Was he just striking a dramatic pose? Or was that for a reason that I somehow missed?
    When I saw that clip during the opening credits, I first thought he was holding a jacket over his shoulder with his finger, you know the look. Then I thought, why would he be doing that? So then thought he was just rubbing his neck, maybe in puzzlement or frustration, given the look he has on his face. Kind of a "Now What?" move. Maybe his neck still hurt from being banged around in the puddle jumper and then having to hold his head down to stare at the compass.

I did like how McKay first was thought the compass was stupid then grabs it out of Ford's hand when he realizes what was making the compass wonky.

Here's something so trivial I don't know why I'm even thinking about it. I'm trying to figure out when the crew uses first names, titles or last names. McKay has said both Dr. Weir and Elizabeth at different times, I think. It just struck me when he ws coming up the stairs to talk to her about the ZPM, because I was expecting him to call her Elizabeth, but he called her Dr. Weir instead. Maybe because he was talking to her in an official way. Or maybe I'm just wrong and he's never called her Elizabeth to her face? Sheppard has said both Rodney and McKay. Weir has said both Rodney and McKay. Weir and McKay are both "civilians". Sheppard and Ford are either addressed by their rank, their last names, or rank/last names. Of course, Teyla is just Teyla.

Quote Originally Posted by watcher652
    When I saw that clip during the opening credits, I first thought he was holding a jacket over his shoulder with his finger, you know the look.
    There IS one point when he does that. His jacket or his backpack. After the confrontation with the kidlets he snatches up his pack (or jacket) and stalks off and he has it hooked over his shoulder.

As for the names thing... no clue. Could depend on individual mood or- as you said- "officialness".

First Lieutenant KorbenDirewolf's Avatar

I think I may have missed something. Did McKay park the PJ far enough away so that after he extended the shield it would still be outside of the shield?
    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

http://home.graffiti.net/kdiw/indiv.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by KorbenDirewolf
    I think I may have missed something. Did McKay park the PJ far enough away so that after he extended the shield it would still be outside of the shield?
    Yes, he made a point of relaying that info to Shep when he and Ford returned.

I wonder if the Wraith would still send a ship or something to check things out...

I thought this episode was avarage on it's own and the worst of the 6 eps shown 'till now, great series...I hope it lasts a long long time

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat
    Yes, he made a point of relaying that info to Shep when he and Ford returned.
    I remember McKay radioing that he had parked outside of the shield, but I can't seem to remember him saying anything about extending it until the very end of the show. Probably just I missed it. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess that wasn't the great big plot hole I thought it was.
    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Quote Originally Posted by KorbenDirewolf
    I remember McKay radioing that he had parked outside of the shield, but I can't seem to remember him saying anything about extending it until the very end of the show. Probably just I missed it. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess that wasn't the great big plot hole I thought it was.
    Ohhh yeah, THAT bit. Hmmm. May be a plot hole after all, unless he parked REALLY far away. I just can't imagine McKay volunteering for extra hiking.

Maybe it was... Guess I'll have to watch it again to be sure.

Ah well, at least this time around McKay didn't annoy the crap out of me. Must be getting used to him. Although I was halfway expecting the kids to sing a little tune that just happened to be the order needed to activate the device. It did seem that each button had its own tone.

Quote Originally Posted by vfxsoup
    I loved the comments about the bows and arrows... many of them were entirely CGI for scene specific safety reasons. Did you guys like the tree house village shot? That one was quite tricky, again, all CGI. We spent a lot of time adding CGI people up there to give it some life (notice the rope bridge is swinging?). I could carry on and on about what else was CGI in the show, but then I'd be letting you guys in on too much!

Keep watching, we've got more great stuff in store!

Mark Breakspear
    Visual Effects Supervisor
    Atlantis
    Well, you asked about what people thought of your work a few months back, so I'll talk about this episode.

The treehouse: I never thought for a minute it was CGI. All I thought was "Hmm... the park guys would let them build that?"

The Puddle Jumper crash: There was something off with it. The scenary on the green/blue screen just didn't look right, it was a bit shakey (I know the ship was shaking, just something about it though )

The Wraith probe: Again something seemed off about it and I can't tell why.

Anyway, I hope you can take constructive criticism. I've loved the CGI in the show. The Wraith stunners are a particular favourite of mine (McKay getting shot in the face )

Okay, so the episode now.

McKay... brilliant, just brilliant. I loved the bit about Sam during the teaser And the little kids. And Ford is getting better and better every episode

The only thing I didn't like was Ares. Both the character and the actor. It was just the way he dealt with things, and the fact that nobody tried to shoot him down about it. And unfortunately the actor (didn't catch his name) was a tad... I dunno, stiff maybe, or maybe he just reminded me of Joaquin Phoenix (sp?)

Overall, great ep.

Quote Originally Posted by vfxsoup
    I loved the comments about the bows and arrows... many of them were entirely CGI for scene specific safety reasons. Did you guys like the tree house village shot? That one was quite tricky, again, all CGI. We spent a lot of time adding CGI people up there to give it some life (notice the rope bridge is swinging?). I could carry on and on about what else was CGI in the show, but then I'd be letting you guys in on too much!

Keep watching, we've got more great stuff in store!

Mark Breakspear
    Visual Effects Supervisor
    Atlantis
    It's nice to know people from the show read these boards! You guys do a great job! I loved the tree house village shot. Keep up the good work.

Wasn't one of the older boys with the bow who went back for McKay the same kid from 100 days who was Laira's son?

And I think it is unrealistic to believe that a society of such deeply held beliefs would abandon them in one day to stop the sacrifices.
    Causality should not be taken lightly.

Lieutenant Colonel IWantToBelieve's Avatar

McKay was holding his backpack, he picks it up right before, he's got it by two fingers over his shoulder. I thought he was checking his pulse when I saw it for the first time also.
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/IWantToBelieve2/sigpics/sigpicboys1.jpg

No more unbelievable than the fact that they didn't just kill the Full Growns when they appeared.

You would think a society that could build an electromagnetic sheild could also invent a condom for population control. Sacrificing is a bit of an extreme solution, don't you think?

The way I read into the ending, they had suspended the sacrifices until they could meet and revise. It never said they had permanently done away with them.

Otherwise, I liked the episode. It won't be my favorite of all time but it was solid. I had to sympathise with Rodney on the kids. LOL Who hasn't resisted the temptation to go "McKay" on a particularly questioning kid? Funny stuff to see how truely out of his depth he was with them.
    Nurturing my Inner Geek...

Hooni

Quote Originally Posted by Livi2Jack
    Wasn't one of the older boys with the bow who went back for McKay the same kid from 100 days who was Laira's son?
    Yes, it is him.

Knowing now that the treehouses were CGI, I must say "wow!"

But, when I saw them, was I the only one to think "are we in Never Never Land now?"

And then think it was almost creepy enough to justify a Michael Jackson apearance?

And the Wraith used a probe! Already smater than the Gua'uld.

Second Lieutenant Buzz Lightyear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HIj'Qa
    Wouldn't the puddle jumper just fall from the sky like a stone if it lost power? It's not aerodynamic that Shep could do any gliding maneuvers. And, set design wise, it just skids a few feet, completely missing the trees.
    I presume the jumper is constructed of some advanced Ancient alloy that allows it to decelerate slowly when falling out of the sky due to an engine power drive failure. Yeah, that's the reason...

The Elder gets shot in the chest, and then his arm is in a sling?!?!?!?
    The arrow hit him in his right upper chest area - basically his pectoral muscle. He wears a sling because the weight of his right arm would drag on that injured pectoral area. Of course, we're also assuming that the arrow only caused a superficial wound and did not go deep enough to puncture his right lung.
    To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast