Suspicion (105)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPOILERS FOR *Suspicion*, *38 Minutes*
    When McKay first appeared on SG-1, I really wanted him to walk face-first into something hard. When I heard he was returning in Atlantis, though, I was looking forward to it. I knew he would add an element if interest especially since he was a known character.

When he was in the hospital bed, I lmao. He is very good with comedy and I love his sarcasm. (birds of a feather) I like David Hewlett's (sp?) interpretation of the character. Absolutely perfect. The more I watch, the more I like him.

I liked Dr. Weir's hair in this ep and I thought the blue shirt looked nice too. It'll be interesting to see how many clothing changes everyone makes since they were only able to bring along a limited amount of stuff.

One thing I don't like. I know the scenes are not necessarily filmed in sequence and people do have to move around till the next shot is set up. Isn't someone supposed to make sure that when the actor returns to a previous pose, it's the same??? Example...

When Sheppard was hit with the Wraith stun thingy (brain fart) and he fell, his right arm was close to his side and bent so that his hand was laying partially on his abdomen. The next shot is Sheppard laying with both arms raised over his shoulders.

This also happened in *38 Minutes*... When Teyla was trying to remove the bug from Sheppard's neck, his head was leaning toward the bug. When she finally removed it, his head was perfectly upright.

Now that I've vented, I have to say that I absolutely adore Atlantis. I think the characters are developing nicely. McKay is hilarious. Ford is young but will probably be forced to grow up fast with future eps. Sheppard is a hottie. Teyla is strong and can hold her own. Dr. Weir is still trying to find her groove.

Sorry about the length of this one. This is my first post and I had and still have a lot to say but it'll wait till next time.
    If you don't do anything, you can't do anything wrong.

Comment

I actually thought this one was better then "38 minutes", although it was far from perfect it was very interesting and had some real solutions for the continuing storyline. The thing that others have brought up and is still anoying me is the way Dr. Weir handles her leadership, the biggest problem I have with it is how she handles those that are on the verge of insurbordination. The scientist from the previous episode who disagreed with her came off way too easily, although he may have been reprimanded after the episode's end I'm not counting on it. Also the way she handled the discussion between Sheppard and Sgt. Bates about Teyla was annoying me, she should have at least make it appear that she agreed with Sheppard - he is her 2IC and she shouldn't appear to agree more with Bates then with him, even when she does, it compromises Sheppard's position. And certainly on a isolated base like Atlantis where Weir & Sheppard are boss, judge & exicutioner while there isn't any active contact with earth there can't be any question about leadership. Weir and Sheppard should listen to critisism but they should reprimand and stop insurbordination way sooner then normally would be done.

Contrary to others I wasn't surprised by the Wraith blowing himself up. The wraith consist of Females (like in Rising) which seemed in command, Males (like the guy the captured this episode) which seem to be lower but still in commanding positions and drones (those with maskes) which don't really seem to have any real self-serving intersts. So the drone killing himself was only logical. The male wanting to blow himself up was also logical as the wraith seem to be a race with highly developed thinking which makes it plausible that they would put the survival of their people above their own lives (according to the psychological theory of Kohlberg that would put them in the moral development stage of 4 out of 5 while humans are tipically between 2 and 3, 5 is only rarely reached).

The somewhat xenophobic Bates was really annoying, moreso because he was partially right in the end. But while I thought he was annoying his thinking wasn't entirely wrong, on the contrary I think he was mostly right. It was just the way he went about it and put words to it that was wrong. The reason I don't think he was wrong is because all wars have proven that whenever there's a war and everyone knows who the bad guy is, there is almost always someone crazy enough to side with the bad guys in the hope of preserving his or her own life - and I was very surprised that no one actually made that point. These people aren't necesarily bad people, mostly they will rationalize it in any way so they think it's actually the right thing to do (even when logically their reasoning would be insane) but those people are real cowards. Look at the commander from SG-1's "Homecoming", he actually thought he was saving his people by turning SG-1 over to Anubis.

And very much like someone else already mentioned I was surprised no one at the Atlantis base considered a non human leak, some kind of technology causing their location to be given away. I was thinking about some tap on the Stargate system or something along those lines. But I thought it was a very good solution they made up, I didn't see it coming and I was actually thinking of Bates puting something in Tayla's bag to implicate her when McKay was getting Sheppard and started explaining.

Comment

Good episode. But I'm really upset that Teyla was not developed as much as I hoped, however she did a little more that in previews eps. McKay got shot, IN THE FACE, lmao!!! Ford is naming things again, hilarious. And Sheppars is the man. Great ep!!! And finally got rid of those Athousians...more room, less cast!

Comment

possible spoilers

I thought it was a pretty good ep. We get to see them face off against the Morlocks, er I mean the Wraith, for the first time since Rising.

My first assumption was some kind of Wraith mind control on those captured in Rising and it could have been either Athosian or a human in the SGA team.

I thought Weir was a bit harsh and could have been a little more diplomatic, but I could understand why she did what she did. Bates irritated the hell out of me. I hope Ford gets more to do in future eps.

Favorite line:
          McKay: Uh gan dahg!
          Sheppard: He can't talk either.

Comment

Spoilers:Whole Series

It was an okay ep. Things I loved: McKay hit in the face. McKay liking MREs and hospital food. Finding the Sky roof to the Jumper Bay. Finding land. Ford still trying to name things. Teyla kicking butt with that stick fighting, she got moves. Teyla and Weir interaction throughout the whole show. Getting a bad guy. Loved the necklace, wish I had one.

Things I hated: Sgt. Bates, too mean. Why does every new person in the ep have to be mean? I wish we got to see more of the land, maybe in a future ep. I wish that Teyla did not have to give up the necklace; I guess I liked it on her.
            "Basically, what I'm saying is that I am colossally flawed, so if you don't like my opinions, exercise your freedoms and disagree. Or, quite frankly, don't read any further, as that is also your right." (Micheal Shanks' TV Guide Blog, May 17, 2007)

Comment

QUOTE:
              SPOILERS FOR *Suspicion*, *38 Minutes*

sn't someone supposed to make sure that when the actor returns to a previous pose, it's the same??? Example...

When Sheppard was hit with the Wraith stun thingy (brain fart) and he fell, his right arm was close to his side and bent so that his hand was laying partially on his abdomen. The next shot is Sheppard laying with both arms raised over his shoulders.

This also happened in *38 Minutes*... When Teyla was trying to remove the bug from Sheppard's neck, his head was leaning toward the bug. When she finally removed it, his head was perfectly upright.

Oh, I've started collecting all the notes on when Sheppard is unconscious, or immobile, but his limbs are in the wrong position. The continuity person is supposed to track this kind of stuff. The actor may do it it in so many different positions as the director says, let's try this, no, try that, and they they choose a scene later, and really, how many people are sitting there (besides me? ) going, Oh, look, he's flat out unconscious but he can move his arm back to his gun! I mean, watch his legs in "38 minutes". Such fun

Comment

Shut up and pay attention! Here's

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
                of 'Suspicion'

Good episode! But... It's been three months since our heroes came to Atlantis. And they've been on nine missions. How come we haven't seen any of them? I suppose it is logical to conclude that nothing of particular interest happened on these trips, but I thought that Stargate Atlantis would, by "starting from scratch", be going back to the kind of "exploring the galaxy" type of stories SG-1 used to tell. Yet, after five episodes we have yet to get even one "regular" exploration episode. I'm not complaining - I've loved the series so far - it's just an observation.

Anyway - I enjoyed the show. Teyla finally gets significant screentime, and I actually liked her this time. With the disgruntled Athosians and the suspicion and everything I had expected her to play the part that Halling ended up playing. I was pleasantly surprised by her understanding attitude towards Weir, and her lack of complaining.

As for the rest of the characters: It appears the team members must have been growing closer to each other over the three months in Atlantis. They show concern for each other (Felt kind of strange to see McKay so passionately sticking up for his team mates, rather than just complaining and making sarcastic comments - of which there were unusually few this time, by the way) and they all seemed genuinely certain of Teyla's innocence. However there still hasn't been much for Ford to do. Loved him bringing along a "nice turkey sandwich" this time, though. Guess they learned in 'Rising' that the Puddle Jumper can only do so much.

One thing kind of bothered me: Weir hesitating to lower the shield for Teyla. Hello! She's a member of the team! You don't risk her life like that just because someone started suspecting her three seconds ago!

Plot stuff!!
                - So, Teyla's necklace was the culprit. I remember someone guessing that on the forum sometime earlier this week... Good call, whoever it was! I knew that scene of Sheppard finding it in 'Rising' was there for a reason. Now it turns out, that reason wasn't Sheppard/Teyla ship being built up after all. Still no sign of the "playful sexual tension" between those two characters. Just as well.
                - The Wraith weapon is only designed to stun. I wouldn't have guessed... But it makes sense. They need their victims to be alive in order to be able to feed upon their life force. (Heh... I was dissapointed when McKay went numb in the face in the beginning. McKay can't talk? Where's the fun in that? Good thing he recovered quickly. Oh, and speaking of him getting hit by the Wraith stunner - when the team came through the gate in the beginning I fully expected them to just stop and stand there as if they were safe right in front of it, as SG-1 have done several times. Hello?! How about getting the heck out of the way in case they fire on the gate on the other side?? And then, of course, McKay did get hit. Nice touch.)
                - The Athosians moved to the main land! Presumably this means we won't have to see them again in every episode. Yay!
                - The captured Wraith! I so didn't see that one coming! Enjoyed the brief interrogation scene by Sheppard. I wonder where this plot thread will go in the future. They took a big risk in bringing him to Atlantis, though - if he escapes, the Wraith as a whole will know for sure where the humans from Earth are. Trouble.

Oh, and one more good thing about the episode: The outdoors balcony scene. I've been missing outdoors scenes in Atlantis, and hope to see more in future episodes. I mean there's gotta be streets in the city, right? Not just insides of big buildings? The sets are great, but let's see more of the city!

And... We get the very first Atlantis "previously-on"! Now we know whose voice we will be hearing in every two-parter for the next eight years...

That's it, I'm done.
                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

SPOILERS for suspicion.

Maj. Sheppard developes his role as the military leader very well. He has strong authority and is not afraid to use that authority. he is only a Major and usually (correct me if i'm wrong) an officer with the rank of a Colonel is the commanding officer, i know that col. summners is dead but Maj. Sheppard is handling this authority very well.

When the roof in the jumper bay retracted i was kinda hoping for a larger ship of some sort (it does sound wacky but you never know) but the whole exploring the planet idea is great, i hope TPTB have plans to do more with the world instead of just keeping it in the main city.

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention is that I like the fact that this episode does establish on-screen that the Wraith do indeed get up after getting shot. Unless you really pump them full the way Teyla did, I guess.

Comment

Prion, I'm glad I'm not the only one that notices these things.
                      Last edited by Sheppard's Flock; 07 August 2004, 04:23 PM. Reason: wanted to identify who I was replying to
                      If you don't do anything, you can't do anything wrong.

Comment

from McKay. Loved his scene with Dr. Z (who is definitely Czech). Although if McKay is such a gourmand, what's with liking MREs and hospital food? He was whining about being sent to Siberia because of the food, but MREs he likes? Is Russian food THAT bad?
                        Ummmm you've never had an MRE have you. From what I have heard it's like eating gorumet food.
                        (Felt kind of strange to see McKay so passionately sticking up for his team mates, rather than just complaining and making sarcastic comments - of which there were unusually few this time, by the way)
                        Actually there were quite a few sarcastic comments from McKay. His sarcasm though was directed towards good purposes. (at that arrogant soilder)

Comment

Originally posted by Tokraed
                          To me, one glaring plot hole was the fact that the wormhole was shut down by the receiving end.
                          As seen in one of the previous episodes (don't remember which one), the gate control panel in Atlantis has a button which shuts down the gate. I believe it's the same button you open it with after punching in the address, like on a DHD.

The DHD's don't have a way to shut down the gates at all, so this is obviously an upgrade. Perhaps the Ancients redesigned it so you would be able to shut down incoming wormholes as well as outgoing ones. Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by CyberKnight
                            Ummmm you've never had an MRE have you. From what I have heard it's like eating gorumet food.
                            Actually there were quite a few sarcastic comments from McKay. His sarcasm though was directed towards good purposes. (at that arrogant soilder)
                            MRE's are quite good these days. Pick one up sometime to try it if you don't believe me. Full of nifty items too. The things you learn that can be done with the little thing of Tabasco sauce....

Comment

Originally posted by CyberKnight
                              Ummmm you've never had an MRE have you.
                              Actually, I have. And they were terrible. But I also don't know how old they were. With my luck, they were hold-outs from the Vietnam War...

I actually kinda like airline food, myself. Depending on the meal. But the portions are usually a bit small, even for me- which is really saying something. If McKay likes big portions, I can understand his complaint.

Also, I don't know who that second quote is from, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't me.

Comment

Might have been Shadow, they also changed them in the last ten years or so sometime. I had one in 1991 that was one of the worst things I've eaten in my life, but I also had quite a number as recently as a few months ago and they were really quite good.

Comment

Working...
                                X